Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I always find it really weird when there's these houses with all these needless super tall ceilings in every room in cold climates. Like living room sure maybe have a touch more head room to feel more open, but every room? Like just why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

dr_rat posted:

I always find it really weird when there's these houses with all these needless super tall ceilings in every room in cold climates. Like living room sure maybe have a touch more head room to feel more open, but every room? Like just why?

making visitors think you're rich is way more important than having your wife and kids be warm in the winter, are you crazy?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’d guess it’s much easier to have the ceiling at the same height throughout, too.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
When I was a kid, we had relatives who had a three story beach house. The ground floor was the lounge and kitchen and the first and second floors were like a mezzanine which circled all the way around the building with bedrooms and bathrooms. A big tube, basically.

You could stand in the middle of the lounge and look up like 20m to the underside of the roof. None of it had any insulation. I was told it was okay during summer as they would just open the windows on the top floor and you'd get a chimney like effect with a breeze to cool things down.

I only got to see it during winter and I have to tell you, a 20m high ceiling in a wood structure with no insulation, even on the Australian coast, is loving cold. You could have see a bonfire alight in the middle of the ground floor and it wouldn't have helped.

Which is a bit ironic, given that Ash Wednesday burned the place down.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

Thanks, I hate it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
That image was just made for rage bait right? Like it's just one of those images the more you look at it the more really loving stupid things you notice.

It either having a toilet or a kitchen, or a toilet in the kitchen is a nice touch.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
For apparently a whole generation of failkids, shipping containers are basically magic.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

dr_rat posted:

That image was just made for rage bait right? Like it's just one of those images the more you look at it the more really loving stupid things you notice.

It either having a toilet or a kitchen, or a toilet in the kitchen is a nice touch.
Coming from the right, the kitchen is the bit up the first set of stairs. You can just see a small glimpse of the toilet through the doorway of the bathroom one set of stairs farther up.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Flipperwaldt posted:

Coming from the right, the kitchen is the bit up the first set of stairs. You can just see a small glimpse of the toilet through the doorway of the bathroom one set of stairs farther up.

That space is meant to be a ktichen? I thought that was where you're meant to keep your clothes and stuff, as pretty sure unless that's the thinnest toilet in the world there's no room in the "bedroom" to store clothes or anything.

I mean maybe it's for nudist who have horrible taste in houses. :shrug:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That would be very in character for the English.

Very. Look at the number of bathrooms (kitchens too, maybe?) over there that still use two taps.
With the exception of older houses that might actually still have an attic cistern for the hot water, there's no reason anymore other than tradition and "it's quaint." And even if they do still have that, mixing valves that don't allow the hot to go into the cold line have existed for a long time.

Add to the list of "we've always done it that way, why change now?" building quirks is only allowing "shaver sockets" in the bathrooms, even thought all the other countries figured out GFCI outlets a long time ago. It's actually funny that (from what I understand) the US electrical code is basically the exact opposite of the UK one.

In the US, new/renovated bathrooms HAVE to have an outlet (GFCI or GFCI breaker protected) in the bathroom, I think within 3' (?) of the sink. But not close to the tub/shower.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
All outlets in bathrooms have to be GFCI in the US. Laundry rooms, kitchens, and I think any room with a concrete floor, too.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ghost Leviathan posted:

For apparently a whole generation of failkids, shipping containers are basically magic.

I've been inside shipping containers, they are not wide at all. I don't know where the idea that they are magic prefabs came from, but certainly not from anyone who ever spent time around them.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Containers like that get very stuffy and hot during the summer and have basically gently caress all insulation during the winter. There's only one window in the whole thing and it's over the bed, so forget about any airflow in the kitchen if you cook something smelly like fish. Also all it takes to collapse the entire structure is dinging the car accidentally on one of those struts holding it up.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Found a floor plan:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Why not just build it flat and park next to it :psyduck:

This is either a beginner architecture student's idea based on knowing nothing about designing living spaces, or an established architect who charges you six figures just to huff their farts.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Hope there's no wind wherever that guy lives!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Why not just build it flat and park next to it :psyduck:

This is either a beginner architecture student's idea based on knowing nothing about designing living spaces, or an established architect who charges you six figures just to huff their farts.

Suitable Home Design

quote:

Modular Building & Container Home Solutions.

We specialize in:

🏡Container House Design
🏡Buy Container House
🏡Shop Container House Drawing
🏡Shop Traditional House Drawing

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ultrafilter posted:

Found a floor plan:

Wait why doesn't the Kitchen even go to the wall of the "room" it's in? Again I gotta assume it's just bait with how much is wrong with it.

Like the floor plan is just straight up wrong. Look at the size of the landing in front of the bathroom on the image vs the floor plan, also the number of stairs are off. Bathroom seems to be different dimensions as well just based off how far into the left part you can see.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

I can think of at least two things wrong with that title.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

dr_rat posted:

Wait why doesn't the Kitchen even go to the wall of the "room" it's in? Again I gotta assume it's just bait with how much is wrong with it.

Like the floor plan is just straight up wrong. Look at the size of the landing in front of the bathroom on the image vs the floor plan, also the number of stairs are off. Bathroom seems to be different dimensions as well just based off how far into the left part you can see.

Pretty sure that's just the counter, and it does go all the way

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Trabant posted:

I can think of at least two things wrong with that title.

Home is stretching it, but it looks like an improvement from some of the solutions for housing workers at a temporary site too remote for motels. Usually it’s multiple people bunking in prefab dormitories. If all of the food is being served communally you can get away with an electric kettle, mini fridge, and microwave in there. And there’s actual privacy.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Home is stretching it, but it looks like an improvement from some of the solutions for housing workers at a temporary site too remote for motels. Usually it’s multiple people bunking in prefab dormitories. If all of the food is being served communally you can get away with an electric kettle, mini fridge, and microwave in there. And there’s actual privacy.

They want to put homeless people in them.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

ultrafilter posted:

Found a floor plan:

Make my house 50% hallway, please.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

ultrafilter posted:

They want to put homeless people in them.

That'd still be an improvement and therefore would not be implemented on any useful scale.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

I hope they don't have tornados.

Seriously I'd want to live in that somehow even less than a trailer in tornado country.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Containers in high winds?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7WfeV01A4g

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Oh god all those houses just getting blown off the bridge like that!!!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

dr_rat posted:

Before central heating, just about every European house was cold all winter. Like, you gathered by the fireplace/stove and prayed for Spring. The peasants in their tiny houses with one fireplace were still cold.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Container houses are all extremely bad ideas that are more expensive than just about any other option. Framing a house or aparment complex is not the difficult problem here.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
I wonder how many years left we have before these start being a reasonable option.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

ultrafilter posted:

Found a floor plan:

I have questions re: the plumbing situation tia

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

I'm only clicking through the Daft listing for this just now. First of all, this is only a few minutes from my apartment and I'm sorely tempted to book a viewing with my husband and not showing him this listing so he can go in blind. Secondly, did they paint the washing machine or is that my imagination?

Please please do. It's the only way to solve the mystery of the bathroom. Where is the shower? How do you wash yourself? Or do you just have sponge bath over the kitchen sink?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

ultrafilter posted:

Found a floor plan:

Where do you keep your stuff?

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

evobatman posted:

Where do you keep your stuff?

In the garage your trunk

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Fighting Trousers posted:

I have questions re: the plumbing situation tia

How many other houses come with a built in car wash!

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Pookah posted:

Look at this adorable little house!

From the floorplan, it's not actually as tiny as it looks from the outside, maybe not a family home, but fine for one or two people.

But it's actually completely insane

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/end-of-terrace-house-62-st-kevins-square-off-friars-street-cork-city-co-cork/5309749

edit: why are there so many little stoves ???

Pleased to announce that my husband and I are just back from a viewing of this house. It is exactly as patterned in every room as the photos would suggest. One thing is that the house itself is actually a might darker than what's shown in the photos, which means they brightened up the photos before publishing them. The pictures were obviously taken with a very wide-angle lens. It's very, very small, like, so small that my husband almost hit his head on the doorframes going into the bedrooms. Every surface that's not covered in all these insane wallpaper cuttings (which are all 3D by the way so every wall feels like it's padded in thick tissue paper) has been painted dark blue including the skylights in the bedrooms, but I couldn't help but notice as well that in the bedrooms where the wallpaper has stopped adhering to the wall, there's tiles underneath them. The guy who's selling the house wallpapered over the tiles. The woman showing us the house didn't even open the backyard door to show us the backyard since technically it doesn't exist and is just a slab of concrete with astroturf sheeting over it. The stairs up to the bedrooms are essentially a carpeted ladder that neither my husband or I could fit our feet comfortably onto, so we had to white-knuckle the bannister on the way up and down the stairs. I don't remember seeing the floor in any room except the kitchen because every available floor surface is covered in different fluffy rugs.

One thing the woman showing us around mentioned is that the house is being sold with all the furniture that's already there.

The reason why there are so many stoves is just the choice of the guy who's selling it; there is gas heating but he just didn't want to use it.

Also I was right; the guy painted the washing machine dark blue.

e: also my husband has been complaining about the smell of the house since we left it nearly 3 hours ago

Poo In An Alleyway has a new favorite as of 19:48 on May 17, 2024

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

What about the bathroom though?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Why so much furniture and accessories? It's not like there's room to spare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

ultrafilter posted:

What about the bathroom though?

The shower is on the left when you walk into the bathroom. Again it's smaller than the pictures make it look. It boggles my mind why they didn't just build the bathroom into the backyard since there'd be space to make either that or the kitchen a little bigger.

By popular demand posted:

Why so much furniture and accessories? It's not like there's room to spare.

I have no clue, all it serves to do is make the whole living room area feel impossibly cluttered. The couches are far bigger than the room needs them to be; just me, my husband and the estate agent being there made the place feel overly cramped and claustrophobic, but those couches can sit 4 or 5 people who'd have no space to stand up or even exist away from the couch.