Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Internetjack posted:

Back in the day when meetings were held in physical conference rooms I'd show up early and bring any random documentation that I needed to review; spread out a couple manuals on the table like I was studying them, then hastily shuffle them into a stack when people started to show up.
I got accolades from management for being such an efficient employee for this.

When building your company wide reputation with people outside of your direct management structure, the appearance of work is far more valuable than actual work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Someone working for Accenture being qualified for breathing on their own would be a deviation from the norm in my experience.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Lazyfire posted:

Someone working for Accenture being qualified for breathing on their own would be a deviation from the norm in my experience.

And just lol at the idea of that poo poo they peddle being licensed

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Randy Travesty posted:

Worse. Way worse. You would poo poo bricks if I posted it.

They're famous for making copies and shipping paper.

Dunder Mifflin!

E: A couple of weeks ago, the plumbing in our ceiling exploded above one of our big printers. I was working from home that day so I missed the waterworks.

Today that same plumbing started a slow drip in the same place. We notified building management and the maintenance guys came along, took a look, and set about fixing it. One of them showed me the cause of the problem:

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 16, 2024

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Spaghett posted:

If they don't pay by Friday, it'll be 8 weeks since our last check.

On Monday, I told my boss I'm not coming to work until we get paid. He said he understands.

I'm still trying to get ahold of a lawyer.

I hate this poo poo.

The best time to have planted your resume on recruitment sites was seven weeks ago.
The second-best time is today.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Spaghett posted:

If they don't pay by Friday, it'll be 8 weeks since our last check.

On Monday, I told my boss I'm not coming to work until we get paid. He said he understands.

I'm still trying to get ahold of a lawyer.

I hate this poo poo.

May not apply to where you live but if it's in the US try looking up your state's unpaid wages claim form, you likely don't need a lawyer. I had to go through this in 2021 after missing 2 consecutive paychecks.

The process was very effortless for me. I literally just had to type a paragraph about not receiving wages for two pay periods and the state industrial commission did the rest, I got checks in the mail a month or two later.

Of course the job market is so poo poo these days that it took me 3 years to find a new job that wasn't absolute dog poo poo :( but I have a very blessed job now.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Question to goons in manufacturing/chemical companies.

I do interpretation for several clients in the smelting industry, I'm usually involved in a very specific project, or an unspecific overview.
Every factory I've talked with (Japan, Indonesia, Canada)has an Engineering division and a Technology division. Please help me understand how these are different roles because it's not obvious to me as a casual visitor.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

New guy to our group likes sending out work anniversary and birthday wishes. And while a nice gesture, those are two things I really don't care about. All his emails will do is make me mark all his emails as useless. He also has grandiose plans to help our process. I can't wait til the crushing realization, that we are forever attached to our respective product and the team is just a management game, comes crashing down on him. Those are always fun days.

I continue to post my daily work log as haiku's and no one has said anything.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

MarxCarl posted:

No one wants to be the guy who makes the fun stop.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

MarxCarl posted:

Maybe your team is sick of your haikus just like you’re sick of the new guy’s birthday emails.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

MarxCarl posted:

New guy to our group likes sending out work anniversary and birthday wishes. And while a nice gesture, those are two things I really don't care about. All his emails will do is make me mark all his emails as useless. He also has grandiose plans to help our process. I can't wait til the crushing realization, that we are forever attached to our respective product and the team is just a management game, comes crashing down on him. Those are always fun days.

My last job had a new Director of Project Management quit after 3 months when he realized that the owner is a horrible micro manager and things would never change. His replacement joined the week after I left, and its been two months. I hear from former colleagues that the light is starting to leave his eyes and hes starting to come to the same realization. Its like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

MarxCarl posted:

Came in hours late
Took huge dump while poo poo posting
Thought about sweet death

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

:blastu: STOP COMING TO WORK SICK!!!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

wash bucket posted:

:blastu: STOP COMING TO WORK SICK!!!

We love to see you,
Do not spread germs. Anyway,
Do not work from home.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Did gently caress all today
I do not get paid enough
Boss can handle it

Darkest Auer fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 16, 2024

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Darkest Auer posted:

Did gently caress all today
I do not get paid enough
Boss can handle it

I hope the syllables are correct, I have no idea how they work in English

This is all correct
You are better than you think
Please do the needful

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard

MarxCarl posted:

How is it they know?
My birthday, is not public.
Who in H.R told?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Did not read or care
I have more important things
Like watching YouTube

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
in a hilarious new development, the music venue has a new assistant manager. external hire, of course. even though me and multiple other people all have management experience and for some even small business owning experience, it's easier to hire someone outside who doesn't know the industry at all than to replace what in most cases is a grunt or grunt+ position.

her New Manager Establishing Dominance move was to create a "Spring Cleaning Program." nothing wrong with that on it's face. i offered to stay an hour after my shift to help out. she refused, saying i should clean as much as possible during my downtime. the issues with this are 1; most of my "downtime" is talking to my coworkers to coordinate what needs to be done to pick up after management and keep everything running at least vaguely smoothly, and getting prepped up for the next big rush 2; my MSDS and WHMIS are expired, i legally can't be just slopping cleaning chemicals wherever, and i was never asked to be able to do this when i was hired, and 3; i can't just leave my station to do impromptu janitorial. at any time a patron could approach with any number of needs or questions which obviously i have to be able to take care off, and there would just be unattended cash there. so you want to put me in a situation where the business could at best have some really unhappy customers, and at worst either me or the whole establishment would get in a ton of poo poo.

you know, just stuff someone with previous management experience in the industry would actually know and be able to identify as extremely shortsighted.

e: if she let me stay the hour, and get paid for it obvs, just to sweep up and do some rearranging and misc trash clearing and whatnot, i would have done it no questions. she wanted me to get a pail of industrial mystery cleaner and wipe down whatever i could while patrons were in the building, something that is not safe and i don't feel comfortable doing for a million reasons. we even have porters who are trained and certed in dealing with that stuff, they absolutely don't do it during active hours. maybe just hire a cleaning crew if it's so bad?

Million Ghosts fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 16, 2024

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

peanut posted:

I do interpretation for several clients in the smelting industry, I'm usually involved in a very specific project, or an unspecific overview.
Every factory I've talked with (Japan, Indonesia, Canada)has an Engineering division and a Technology division. Please help me understand how these are different roles because it's not obvious to me as a casual visitor.

In my multinational manufacturing org which is not smelting, the engineering department is things and buildings and and the technology department is all the IT-adjacent equipment that controls the things and buildings.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
So, if you were announcing that you were letting someone go and it was an emotional thing for them, would you choose to do it at the beginning of a showcase meeting they'll be presenting at?

My bosses just made a guy say his last goodbyes and then later in the meeting had him spend 20 minutes telling us about his latest good works for the company.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

StrangersInTheNight posted:

So, if you were announcing that you were letting someone go and it was an emotional thing for them, would you choose to do it at the beginning of a showcase meeting they'll be presenting at?

My bosses just made a guy say his last goodbyes and then later in the meeting had him spend 20 minutes telling us about his latest good works for the company.

That's hosed up.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
oh my god.

my presentation would probably not match the powerpoint at alllllll

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Wild. Absolute psycho poo poo.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

peanut posted:

For my work, a simplification is that engineering deals with all the physical equipment, especially the robots on the manufacturing lines. While technology could either mean IT, or it could mean scientists who work on the actual chemicals and related manufacturing processes.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I'm sure the guy was equal parts nice and shocked, so they just figured they might as well do it anyway

but I'd milton and setting the building on fire

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
"oh yeah this is a bill slide, thanks bill. anyone ever find out how much you padded your vegas expense account?, right then so about our ebitda"

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Tech usually refers to servers and the devices that will interact with them (to an extent but I'm trying to be inclusive enough to capture things like desktops/laptops/and simple devices such as RF guns) while engineering as it relates to crossover (so not a chemical engineer) would refer to complex mechanical systems and/or individual devices like robots on a factory floor.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Lord Rupert posted:

How is it they know?
My birthday, is not public.
Who in H.R told?

Work start known inside
Birthday was asked to tell
gently caress no to that ask

I crafted a riddle for my birthday for him to solve, but said screw that.

wash bucket posted:

Maybe your team is sick of your haikus just like you’re sick of the new guy’s birthday emails.

Probably, but I'm pretty sure most people just ignore the dailys.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Squiggle posted:

Y'all see an offense. I see an opportunity for the presenter who has zero fucks left to give

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Otto Octopus posted:

For my work, a simplification is that engineering deals with all the physical equipment, especially the robots on the manufacturing lines. While technology could either mean IT, or it could mean scientists who work on the actual chemicals and related manufacturing processes.
Calling your division technology is like calling your division finance.

But this is closest if you are talking about companies who are not silently dropping the "information" of their technology. Technology divisions are usually working on selecting, developing, and specifying manufacturing technologies to the engineering division who will incorporate them in their processing or production schemes.

Anyone confusing them with IT will be forgiven because they usually report into an IT management schlub much more often than an engineering department who can usually luck into operations report structures.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

I was thinking tech ops, which now that I think about it, not the same thing as just “Technology”.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Definitions are very unclear on Tech vs Engineering. And also influenced by translation and regional or industry usage.
I mainly see Engineering being the people designing/producing the stuff that gets sold, and Technology making stuff for use by the company.
So, I have seen chem-e or mech-e people getting called Technology guys by Software guys.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Y'all don't have an innovation division?
Synergy division?

the boys from CarTalk always came up with the best corporate bullshit lingo :allears:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

VictualSquid posted:

Definitions are very unclear on Tech vs Engineering. And also influenced by translation and regional or industry usage.
I mainly see Engineering being the people designing/producing the stuff that gets sold, and Technology making stuff for use by the company.
So, I have seen chem-e or mech-e people getting called Technology guys by Software guys.

Software guys are wrong by default though and tech has a dirty habit of slapping engineer on everything. My job title has engineer in it when I am, in fact, not an engineer.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Innovation and synergy should be part of every division, not silo'd off into some distant corner where they can be ignored.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dameius posted:

Software guys are wrong by default though and tech has a dirty habit of slapping engineer on everything. My job title has engineer in it when I am, in fact, not an engineer.

I once had a customer support position that put Engineer in the title

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I mainly put information into a computer system that’s supposed to be smart enough to give clients benefits they need. This was supposed to be so easy you didn’t need to know anything but to slap the keys like a monkey and the computer would do the rest. To nobodies surprise my actual job is knowing policy well enough to do work arounds to get the dumb as poo poo system to do what I want. gently caress it I’m an engineer too.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

deep dish peat moss posted:

I once had a customer support position that put Engineer in the title

I worked at a place that had Sales Engineers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Biplane posted:

That's hosed up.

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

oh my god.

my presentation would probably not match the powerpoint at alllllll

Squiggle posted:

Yeah it's sitting really really badly with me even hours later. The worst part is there's an underlying implication with all of this that there was probably more going on at higher levels and this guy + a few others were scapegoated and sent packing. So no one is saying anything about it because everyone is basically relieved it wasn't them :(

our company was acquired by a large corp last year, who was itself then also acquired by an even larger corp a few months later. the merger on top of a merger thing is an absolute clusterfuck and a lot of people are just being culled because the higher-ups can't figure out how to make everything fit together. There's pretty clear culture differences between the three companies that have been leading to clashes, and it looks like the shittiest, worst corp culture is going to be winning out.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 16, 2024