Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Some inconsequential LN spoilers/musings on this latest episode:
I was excited to finally see the fight, but I was sad that they changed Kazuma's brutal takedown of Mitsurugi. They changed up the whole fight sequence a bit to save time (not showing Kazuma's archery skills and whatnot), but I still feel like they should have kept the LN sequence. His ruthless dispatching of Mitsurugi played a lot into the reputation they gained that night and better explains why people would be afraid of them. Come on, it's one of the few cool things he ever does!

For non-LN readers who are interested, after freezing Mitsurugi's sword in place, he grabs Mitsurugi's face, uses Create Water to fill his throat with water, and then Freeze's it all, immediately incapacitating him. He's also the one who cancel's Rain's spell by exploding the tip of her staff with a long-range Snipe. I just feel like it was one of the few serious moments in the series and it loses some of its edge when they add a bunch of comedic fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Just watched the episode and was wondering in the after credits scene was that supposed to be a reincarnated person in the noble's basement or something? :stare: Maybe I should rewatch on a tv instead of my phone.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Natural 20 posted:

Being specific about what you spoilers entail costs very little and makes life nicer for others.

E.g. LN spoilers for season end.

I will be more cautious in the future.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Just watched the episode and was wondering in the after credits scene was that supposed to be a reincarnated person in the noble's basement or something? :stare: Maybe I should rewatch on a tv instead of my phone.

The anime made the events a lot more confusing, but enough information still exists in the episode to figure out what is going on.

A slight LN spoiler about the current episode that will make everything more explicit: When Chris and Kazuma stole the artifact, Aqua sealed it. They showed it happening in the episode, but they removed her line talking about what she did. They might be doing a thing where they reduce some information so they can reveal it in a flashback in a later episode?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This episode was a reminder that Kazuma is actually an incredibly competent fighter that knows how to use his insanely mixed repertoire perfectly (contrasting his absurdly specialized teammates) when he isn't being an absolute idiot and self-sabotaging. It's rare, but it's impressive when it happens.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Nalin posted:

I was excited to finally see the fight, but I was sad that they changed Kazuma's brutal takedown of Mitsurugi. They changed up the whole fight sequence a bit to save time (not showing Kazuma's archery skills and whatnot), but I still feel like they should have kept the LN sequence. His ruthless dispatching of Mitsurugi played a lot into the reputation they gained that night and better explains why people would be afraid of them. Come on, it's one of the few cool things he ever does!

For non-LN readers who are interested, after freezing Mitsurugi's sword in place, he grabs Mitsurugi's face, uses Create Water to fill his throat with water, and then Freeze's it all, immediately incapacitating him. He's also the one who cancel's Rain's spell by exploding the tip of her staff with a long-range Snipe. I just feel like it was one of the few serious moments in the series and it loses some of its edge when they add a bunch of comedic fights.

Also LN, doesn't go past the latest episode:

I think it might've been a bit too brutal to animate rather than a time-saving measure, iirc his fight with Mitsurugi lasts all of 5 seconds in the LN and he just moves past afterward because he's not loving around

Blaze Dragon posted:

This episode was a reminder that Kazuma is actually an incredibly competent fighter that knows how to use his insanely mixed repertoire perfectly (contrasting his absurdly specialized teammates) when he isn't being an absolute idiot and self-sabotaging. It's rare, but it's impressive when it happens.

tbf it's more that he directs that competence at very stupid ends(ie being a kotatsu goblin) rather than outright bein' a dumbass

though that happens too

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 16, 2024

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

just talking about the fight

Blaze Dragon posted:

even more than his bag of tricks, the way he started the big fight by taking on the knightess upfront and immediately defeating her was really impressive. yeah, drain touch to finish her is kind of cheating, but being able to catch her like that to use it in the first place was pretty cool and a level of physical competence i don't think is generally expected of kazuma. he actually can win direct confrontations with his combat skills if he wants to. if it wasn't drain touch and was instead, idk, some kind of fire spell to instantly scorch her and take her out it wouldn't even really be underhanded.

Nalin posted:

it was kind of a shame that his bag of tricks here is just drain touch and freeze, with a little water and steal. a larger variety of stuff being used in the same amount of time would've probably sold it better, he could've done one surprise snipe snapshot. the fight was still overall pretty good, engorging mitsurugi with water was honestly kind of nasty even if freezing it inside of him would've been more brutal. i thought he was just going to cover the guy in water and freeze him into an ice cube, turning him into a human water balloon was much more unexpected.

end of ep

it is pretty funny that kazuma did all of the stuff that the knights have been saying he can't do, completely trouncing everyone who stood in his way, and he can't tell any of them about it. it's cute that iris figured it out.

also that megumin relationship is really getting pushed a lot more ever since the movie huh

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ninjewtsu posted:

also that megumin relationship is really getting pushed a lot more ever since the movie huh[/spoiler]

LN Spoilers That's on queue for the story. After the Crimson Demon Village arc, Megumin has already fallen for Kazuma and is just waiting to confess. Its also why she makes a huge fuss about 'taking care of Kazuma' after he is resurrected in the last episode.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 12:03 on May 16, 2024

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

ninjewtsu posted:

got caught up on this show. if they cross the line with iris i might have to drop it, megumin already makes me really uncomfortable.

they dont and end of entire ln series spoilers kazuma never really sees her as anything but a little sister

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ninjewtsu posted:

got caught up on this show. if they cross the line with iris i might have to drop it, megumin already makes me really uncomfortable.

Gonna point out Megumin and Kazuma are both High School age only 2-3 years difference. , Megumins appearance is entirely because she starved herself to feed her sister and because her family was always broke because of her father's bad habits with money.

It's the running joke of Kazuma denying Megumin alcohol because Kazuma shouldn't be drinking either.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Gonna point out Megumin and Kazuma are both High School age only 2-3 years difference. , Megumins appearance is entirely because she starved herself to feed her sister and because her family was always broke because of her father's bad habits with money.

It's the running joke of Kazuma denying Megumin alcohol because Kazuma shouldn't be drinking either.

yeah my problem is not the agegap relationship but more the sexualization of a 14 year old in the pervy comedy show

i'm not quoting that end of ln spoilers cause i don't wanna see it but thanks for letting me know

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i realize now that that comment combined with me saying megumin makes me uncomfortable is probably being read as me complaining about the megumin relationship becoming more prominent. i think megumin and kazuma's relationship is fun and cute when it isn't the show itself being horny for megumin. it's just a big shift in the character dynamics that isn't being explicitly acknowledged by the characters, which is interesting since kazuma's relationship (interpersonal, not romantic) with aqua and to a lesser extent darkness has been fairly static i think.

to me, it looks like they're building up to a confession or otherwise some big event involving meguminxkazuma by putting in a bunch more little but notable details in how the two treat each other, which is more what i meant by that comment

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Kazuma continues to be the best at being the worst.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Top-notch episode this week. This show has mastered comedic timing so drat well.

I was wondering how the hell the writers were going to tie up all of the loose ends that they set up and lol, oh, that's how - cliffhanger!

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
I love that the writers feel comfortable enough to include looooooong silent pauses to land jokes.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

that restaurant scene was way funnier than it had any right to be

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Sunday Morning posted:

I love that the writers feel comfortable enough to include looooooong silent pauses to land jokes.

Yeah, at first I thought Crunchyroll was acting up again on me, but nope!

Majorian fucked around with this message at 10:48 on May 23, 2024

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

that restaurant scene was way funnier than it had any right to be

When Aqua and Kazuma are on the same wavelength they just make each other worse, its great

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

episode felt a little disjointed but it was still fun, like a bunch of little vignettes

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

El Burbo posted:

episode felt a little disjointed but it was still fun, like a bunch of little vignettes

22 Short Films About Axel

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Yinlock posted:

Yes please

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Yinlock posted:

I'm picturing Kazuma and Sena doing "Steamed Hams."

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Kazuma, the house is on fire!

No Aqua, that's just Megumin's explosion spell

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
I hope for the dub they have Kazuma just dona straight up Archer impersonation. "Phrasing!"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Konosuba Manga chapter dropped: https://mangadex.org/chapter/cfb58733-d282-426b-aa1b-195e3ba1cb3a
Megumin confession is go!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

there's a manga?

...is it good?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ninjewtsu posted:

there's a manga?

...is it good?

Its okay. It follows the LN pretty close so I'd say its good.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

CommieGIR posted:

Konosuba Manga chapter dropped: https://mangadex.org/chapter/cfb58733-d282-426b-aa1b-195e3ba1cb3a
Megumin confession is go!

this is where i thought they were going to end this season and i'm sad they didnt

e: i mean the stuff with LN SPOILERS? wolbach not the megumin stuff

Spookydonut fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Spookydonut posted:

this is where i thought they were going to end this season and i'm sad they didnt

e: i mean the stuff with LN SPOILERS? wolbach not the megumin stuff

ANIME SPOILERS Nope, we are gonna probably end on the Darkness wedding it looks like, either in the anime or as an OVA like Megumin's story was done.