Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Ben Burtt has an excellent ear for coming across random sounds. He's got a bunch of anecdotes like "There were some guys fixing a pothole outside the office with a rock stuck in the hose of their air hammer. I thought it sounded musical so I grabbed my recorder before they could fix it, and that's how I found the sound of the speeder bike gear shift" or "so I was at a photo store in San Anselmo and there was this old woman buying film. I thought she sounded like a hosed up alien so I asked her if she wanted to play ET."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

CelticPredator posted:

Matthew Wood;s battle droids voices are terrible.

Uhhhh... That doesn't compute

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Robot Style posted:

Ben Burtt has an excellent ear for coming across random sounds. He's got a bunch of anecdotes like "There were some guys fixing a pothole outside the office with a rock stuck in the hose of their air hammer. I thought it sounded musical so I grabbed my recorder before they could fix it, and that's how I found the sound of the speeder bike gear shift" or "so I was at a photo store in San Anselmo and there was this old woman buying film. I thought she sounded like a hosed up alien so I asked her if she wanted to play ET."

Sound people and engineers are like this in general, in my experience.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

CelticPredator posted:

Wrong

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

CelticPredator posted:

Uhhhh... That doesn't compute.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

BiggestBatman posted:

Uhhhh... That doesn't compute

BiggestBatman posted:

Uhhhh... That doesn't compute.

Roger Roger

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Smh the quote you’re all using isn’t even wood

This is the real battle droid voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSk3WawBZ5c

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ll also take oom9 all the way from Jersey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc_her-n5rQ

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Sound people and engineers are like this in general, in my experience.

I mean, it makes sense! Like with any art, new ideas and inspiration are likely to get your attention.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Robot Style posted:

Burtt is the goat, it should have been the first red flag when he was benched for the sequels

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
What was the last act of Rogue One supposed to be before it got chopped up in the edit?

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 18, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That plus more scenes on the beach, fighting a tie fighter and going through some underground thing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Vim Fuego posted:

What was the last act of Rogue One supposed to be before it got chopped up in the edit?

There's a really, really excellent podcast called Going Rogue that breaks it down.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

i had an idea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeWL4iZ8nLY

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0CpOYZZZW4

She finally did it

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

gently caress yea

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I was also reminded of the playlist for Galactic Starcruiser: https://open.spotify.com/album/2wFDrfFxN47l0Eq7zeK8wQ

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

I was going to make a joke about it being 2 hours long or something, and holy poo poo

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Lol at sitting in a tiny closet in your room official Star WarsTM coffin and mashing a panic button if there's an actual fire.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

I just finished watching this.

I knew the Star Wars hotel was bad.

I didn’t know it was bad to such an extent.

Jenny is a saint.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Gonna have to watch this in shifts, but hell yes, this is great so far.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
lol that Disney hotels don't even have Disney+

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

lol that Disney hotels don't even have Disney+

Yeah that’s a thing at all Disney hotels, and has always been dumb.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Only a quarter of the way though that video (drat) but really enjoying it so far. It really is a shame that Disney never successfully communicated just what the Star cruiser was. I had assumed, like many others that it was just a expensive themed hotel.

I dig the idea of an immersive theatre hotel, and would have loved to do it one day with my family. It feels like an idea ahead of its time, with some extreme ambition. Of course, with corporate realities, it could have never succeeded the way it would have needed to justify the expenditure when it's so much easier to funnel people through automated rides and gift shops.

I'm sure there's an original pitch there that is amazing, that got whittled down as more and more realities and politics got in the way. But the fact they still tried it at all is awesome.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I live in Orlando, at the time of launch had Disney annual passes, have (some) disposable income, and am a massive Star Wars fan. I check all the boxes for who they should have directly been marketing that hotel towards. I should have been an easy mark. But I noped out the moment I saw the price. They never showed me anything that justified paying that insane price, and the video is backing that up.

I also can’t believe she had that obstructed view for the dinner shows. All that money, and she couldn’t see one of the selling features. Crazy.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

thrawn527 posted:

Gonna have to watch this in shifts, but hell yes, this is great so far.

Yeah this is a really good chronicle of this while failure.

Now that it's close is it just, like there? I mean like do they still use it as regular hotel space or is it just a big abandoned Star Wars set now?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Neo Rasa posted:

Now that it's close is it just, like there? I mean like do they still use it as regular hotel space or is it just a big abandoned Star Wars set now?

It’s abandoned, I assume they’ll destroy it and use the space for something else. You can’t use it as a regular hotel with those tiny rear end rooms, you’d need to gut the whole thing and start from scratch.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3kyYFHdRsM

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Neo Rasa posted:

It's not really in a spot that is very visible it's kind of off to the back near employee parking by Galaxy's Edge. They apparently can't do anything with it too maintain a tax write-off so i think it will sit there until whenever that clears and then it will be changed into something else.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Jerkface posted:

It's not really in a spot that is very visible it's kind of off to the back near employee parking by Galaxy's Edge. They apparently can't do anything with it too maintain a tax write-off so i think it will sit there until whenever that clears and then it will be changed into something else.

Someone should do an anthology post-apocalpyse movie exclusively shot in abandoned American malls, Galaxy's Edge would be the final episode.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Ok I finally watched Andor and everyone was right. It's excellent. Just superb TV.

The people who said "It's not Star Wars" were also right. The tone & subject matter were not anything found in the original movies. It was a good story using the setting. But I feel that if you were to think about it all happening in one canonical universe it would make the originals less enjoyable. Like, knowing about all the drudgery, misery and enslavement isn't fun and would really deflate e.g. the original trilogy stories. But as its own thing its great.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Slavery is a huge theme from like the first Lucas movie in 1977. Or was it 1976

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Vim Fuego posted:

Ok I finally watched Andor and everyone was right. It's excellent. Just superb TV.

The people who said "It's not Star Wars" were also right. The tone & subject matter were not anything found in the original movies. It was a good story using the setting. But I feel that if you were to think about it all happening in one canonical universe it would make the originals less enjoyable. Like, knowing about all the drudgery, misery and enslavement isn't fun and would really deflate e.g. the original trilogy stories. But as its own thing its great.

The OT movies feature tons of misery both on screen and right off screen!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Literal on screen torture !

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
To me the stuff in Andor was qualitatively different. He spent multiple episodes in a semi automated torture prison. That's a bit different from the setting details in the OT.

I'm not saying that you can't extrapolate from the originals to get Andor. More that it's another level of unpleasantness beyond what the OT had. There were times when Andor is pretty uncomfortable to watch and that I think is the difference to me.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Vim Fuego posted:

To me the stuff in Andor was qualitatively different. He spent multiple episodes in a semi automated torture prison. That's a bit different from the setting details in the OT.

I'm not saying that you can't extrapolate from the originals to get Andor. More that it's another level of unpleasantness beyond what the OT had. There were times when Andor is pretty uncomfortable to watch and that I think is the difference to me.

I think it's a fair point. With Peter Cushin you get like a high management entry into the horrors of fascism and whatnot, consisting of a British guy talking Britishly. And you get Vader being an enigmatic attack dog, what's not to love?

Andor had a lot of relatable assholes working their asses off to be more effectively fascist on a much more personal level. You had your resistance hero actively resisting any resistance activity and the driving forces behind the resistance delivering an amazing monologue on how resistance sucks the soul out of you and demands personal sacrifice.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
"Both things have torture/suffering" is pretty silly, there are such things as tone and narrative language. Goldfinger and Misery both feature torture scenes, that doesn't mean they feel the same to watch.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I guess in the movies you see the fascism, but in Andor you really feel the fascism. In 1-3 you see it’s creation and in 4-6 you see it as a kind of intrusive foreign entity. In Andor you see it’s maintenance, you see it as a way of life. You’re inside the Fascism.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Gonz posted:

I just finished watching this.

I knew the Star Wars hotel was bad.

I didn’t know it was bad to such an extent.

Jenny is a saint.

In retrospect we're fortunate it closed so quickly that there was never a fire, otherwise people *would* have died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Vim Fuego posted:

I'm not saying that you can't extrapolate from the originals to get Andor.
Andor felt like it came from the version of Star Wars where Tarkin was the breakout villain (whereas most other works in the franchise looked to Vader).