Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Out of all that garbage I'll just once again quote the founder of Hamas - and this was after the year 2000 - in regards to Palestinians not wanting a single state for all religions

http://www.miftah.org/display.cfm?DocId=3395&CategoryId=5

quote:

He said: “We have told Israel time and again to stop killing our civilians with their military might – to withdraw from all the territories occupied in 1967 – in return, we are willing to end the armed resistance.”

“One Palestinian state would be ideal, shared by all Palestinians – Jews, Muslims and Christians. But as a truce, until that happens, we recognize the reality of Israel, but we reserve our right and cannot and will not recognize Israel’s moral legitimacy.”

You can also plainly see that only Israelis have been killing Christian Gazans and bombing their churches. Hamas has not bothered them (other than making it illegal to drink alcohol I guess)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Avocado
Jun 6, 2010

TLM3101 posted:

It's this. The floating pier is now another reason for Israel to cut Gaza in two and impose a new security-regimen on Palestinians in the name of fighting Hamas. Also, please note that Israel is once again in charge of the aid. You know, that whole thing the pier was ostensibly about circumventing? The ships are going to unload right into a seven-acre area Israel has specifically set aside to hold the aid.

Presumably until it clears 'inspection'. Estimated time of completion? Never.
Also worth bringing up (sorry if this has been brought up before) that the pier was Netanyahu's idea originally, which should be reason enough to invite skepticism. He would only come up with a solution like that if it benefited Israel in some long-term strategic way.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Nameless_Steve posted:

If Israel were on the warpath to spill as much blood as possible, the way the Syrian army was in 1982, we would expect numbers with 100:1 casualty ratios, at least.

Why do zionists keep spouting this drivel?

Starvation and the destruction of infrastructure are doing more than bombs ever could.

A genocide isn't just with bullets and bombs.

This was one of the most disgusting posts I've read here, not once backed with anything remotely resembling evidence. Anecdotes arent data, you weird interpretation of history and military tactics are not truth.

One country has all the power, one doesn't. Quit pretending they are equals.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Also the 34,000 deaths are not just a made up number, they're the people who have actually been named as dead. Hamas as a government entity gives out traffic tickets and does collect taxes so they have to keep track of who is alive and dead.

There are a lot of dead people under rubble, not much to move that rubble with (not to mention the bombs keep falling and everyone is starving), and a lot of unexploded bombs in that rubble.

You just need to look at pictures of Gaza city to know the number has to be far higher in reality.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 17, 2024

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Nameless_Steve posted:

If the numbers don't matter, then why did Hamas exaggerate them? Why did people and news organizations repeat them?

They didn't.

https://www.msnbc.com/top-stories/latest/gaza-death-toll-united-nations-35000-rcna152150 posted:

The death toll in Gaza has not been revised down by the United Nations, the organization confirmed, clearing up a report from one of its agencies that has been used to fuel misinformation about the veracity of figures issued by authorities in Gaza.

The 35,000 number provided by the Health Ministry “remains unchanged,” said Farhan Haq, deputy spokesperson for the U.N. secretary general, at a news briefing on Monday. A lower figure that appeared last week in a report by the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs represented the number of dead who have been identified.

On May 8, the OCHA published a report listing the death toll in Gaza at 24,000, with 7,700 children and 4,900 women killed — approximately half of the latest number of dead women and children provided by the government’s media office. Pro-Israel media ran with the seeming difference, and Israel’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs suggested there was some kind of conspiracy afoot.

According to the Health Ministry’s latest official count, 35,000 people in Gaza have been killed, 15,000 of whom are children and nearly 10,000 women. Those numbers are not in dispute, Haq said, and the 24,000 figure from the OCHA report represents the people "for whom full details have been documented — in other words, people who have been fully identified.”

His remarks square with the Health Ministry's recent statement that about 10,000 people in its official count have not yet been identified. Christian Lindmeier, a spokesperson for the World Health Organization, backed the 35,000 figure as well. “The fact we now have 25,000 identified people is a step forward,” he said.

Or in other words, the lower number is the number of victims who have been fully identified. The previous number included corpses they don't know the names of.

Nameless_Steve posted:

Remember when I got probated for doubting Hamas' numbers and claims about most victims being women and children?

No, no one remembers that, why would anyone be keeping track of four month old probations?

But since you bring it up, here's the opinion you were probated for, which came twenty thousand corpses into the genocide.

quote:

"Denial of self-determination" is not genocide, nor are the various security measures taken against a hostile, nazified populace like the Palestinian Nationalists. October 7 was an instance of the dangers of lax security, and showed us exactly who Israel was keeping out and why.

I think it's probably best if you stay gone

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Nail Rat posted:

Also the 34,000 deaths are not just a made up number, they're the people who have actually been named as dead. Hamas as a government entity gives out traffic tickets and does collect taxes so they have to keep track of who is alive and dead.

There are a lot of dead people under rubble, not much to move that rubble with (not to mention the bombs keep falling and everyone is starving), and a lot of unexploded bombs in that rubble.

You just need to look at pictures of Gaza city to know the number has to be far higher in reality.

Also Israel bombed the poo poo out of the agencies that track deaths. Likely to specifically prevent number from going up.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

You rely heavily on the interviews of Corey Gil-Shuster. Why don't we examine him a little? Because regardless of how neutrally he portrays himself and his project, the difference between the questions he presents to Israelis and Palestinians demonstrates a clear bias. It's easy enough to let his own words speak for him:

Interview by the National Review (informative just on its own that he'd be interviewed by a far-right magazine) posted:

Not many Jews wander around the Palestinian territories in their spare time asking people on the streets of Ramallah, Jenin, and Bethlehem what they think of Hamas — Corey Gil-Shuster has been doing it since 2012.

Shuster, an academic at Tel Aviv University, has traveled across Israel and the territories for over a decade, asking regular people questions “that nobody really wants to talk about but we need to talk about,” he tells National Review. Accompanied by a simple camcorder — and by a translator, when speaking with Arabs — Shuster documents his conversations on his YouTube channel, known as the “Ask Project,” which features quick, punchy clips shot in a low-budget, gritty manner.
So far, Shuster has released over a thousand videos, each of which features a simple question submitted by a viewer, and his channel has garnered more than 117 million views. Nearly 400 of those videos include interviews with Palestinians.

A liberal by temperament, Shuster’s extensive experience interviewing Palestinians about the decades-long conflict left him with an open mind toward the diversity of viewpoints that exist in the Palestinian world. But the October 7 Hamas massacres — and the adulation and celebration it inspired across Palestinian society — have narrowed his perspective considerably.
I have a hard time now looking at Palestinians in the same way,” Shuster said in an interview with National Review. “Before, it was theoretical; that they could try to butcher us. And then it happened. I know it happened in terrorist attacks [before], but [never] to this level of animalistic pride. The videos of them butchering people and taking pride in it” left him deeply disturbed.

I think I’m more on the left in a lot of ways. I have left-wing liberal values, more or less, although I agree with the right-wing assessment of the Arab world,” he said. “The right-wing is much more correct than the left-wing, but that’s a different thing.
In the wake of the attack, Shuster decided to repost earlier clips in which he asked Palestinians and Arab Israelis their thoughts about Hamas. He also shared earlier interviews with Israelis gauging their willingness to make peace with Gazans.

Looking back on those videos in light of the October 7 atrocities drove home for Shuster just how intractable the problem really is.
Palestinians don’t want peace with Israelis. They don’t even see Jews as being native to this land. So, they think we have to go back to Poland.” Shuster said.
When Shuster points out to Palestinians that many Israelis trace their heritage to the Middle East, they typically respond, “it doesn’t matter, they have to go back.”
When Arab contacts began sharing social-media videos of the unfolding atrocities on October 7, Shuster initially couldn’t tell if they were authentic or ripped from old footage of the Syrian Civil War. The recordings showed Palestinians on social media reacting to the clips with hearts, happy faces, and laughing emojis.
“It’s too soon to say how it’s changed my view,” he said. “I do know that I was thinking about having to go back to the West Bank and I don’t know if I can do it. I don’t know if I can look at Palestinians anymore. I’m having a really hard time.”

“I would have to hear from them: ‘This was really barbaric, and it went too far,’ but I’m not because they’re seeing in their social media feed Hamas is wonderful, Hamas did this to liberate Palestine,” he said.
Shuster, a keen observer of the Israeli national mood, said that Westerners haven’t fully grasped the degree to which the devastation of October 7 has altered the Israeli psyche.
It’s been difficult for Shuster to grasp the disconnect between the scale of the horror — when you adjust for the size of Israel’s population, the Hamas attack claimed thirteen times as many lives as 9/11 — and the rush on American college campuses and in Western media to rationalize terrorism.

Western leftists who celebrate Hamas terrorists as freedom fighters fundamentally don’t understand who they’re aligning themselves with, Shuster said.
Speaking with NR earlier this year, prior to the attack, Shuster highlighted the story of Ahmad Abu Marhia, a gay Palestinian who had sought asylum in Israel but was kidnapped and beheaded in Hebron.
I tell queers for Palestine people, they’re incredibly misinformed,” he said. “Like, you should support gay people. That’s great. And you support Palestinian rights. That’s terrific. However, understand it’s a shockingly homophobic society.
Shuster’s perspective cuts both ways. He also feels that Israeli society has become desensitized to prolonged conflict with Palestinians and their unwillingness to acknowledge a Jewish state’s right to exist. “But does that mean that a child — a 12-year-old or 15-year-old — who throws rocks deserves to be shot? Or lose an eye?”
I also blame Palestinians for [this], and they do send their children. They encourage it. They see them as heroes,” Shuster said.

“I think Israelis have a kind of sociopathic tendency to them that they have dehumanized Palestinians to a huge degree,” Shuster said, citing “the constant terrorism from Palestinians.
“So, if you say to somebody, a Palestinian was beaten or killed, they would say, ‘Well, they probably deserved it.’ That’s the mainstream. That’s not right-wing. You’d have to prove to them that it was somebody who really was just a bystander,” he said.
Even before the Hamas attack, Shuster believed the prospects for a long-term peace deal were shrinking, due both to the rightward shift in Israeli politics and the level of anti-Israel indoctrination that younger Palestinians have grown up with.
“There’s been no change,” he said. “There’s been no direction or improvement. Neither government is giving any vision of what is going to happen.”
Shuster’s encounters in the territories have given him a unique perspective on the ways in which Israelis and Palestinians define themselves in hostile relation to each other. “I tie their sense, for Palestinians, to this idea of hating Jews in Israel. That’s a formative part of their identity,” he said. “On this [Israeli] side, you have had people, at least for the last hundred years, who created infrastructure and institutions and a culture around this new idea of what Israel is. On the Palestinian side, you definitely have a culture, but you have no infrastructure, really bad institutions.”

The divergent sentiment is particularly pronounced on the Palestinian street. Palestinian “politicians say we believe in a two-state solution, but the people do not,” Shuster said. “Nobody wants [that], other than people maybe my age and older, like 50-year-olds and up. Young people — when I do meet someone who actually believes in some form of coexistence with Israelis — I wanna hug them. It’s so rare that when it happens, I have to stop myself from actually hugging them.”
If Shuster’s hopes for the future were bleak before, they’ve only gotten more so since October 7.
“Everybody — mainstream and right-wing — want revenge,” he said. “They want blood … People are really, really, traumatized, and they are angry.”

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nameless_Steve posted:

In 1982, Muslim Brotherhood rebels in Syria attempted to assassinate Hafez Assad. In vengeance, he sent the military (30k soldiers) to put down the rebels (2k volunteers) making a last stand in the sympathetic city of Hama. By the end of February, 40,000 civilians had been killed, and only 400 militants.

So that's a 1:100 casualty ratio.

The Gaza War? The ratio is 15:16. As urban warfare goes, that's significantly better than average even among advanced militaries.

The UN says that, globally, 90% of war casualties are civilians

This is incredible even Israel tried to play it off like it's 1:2 I've never seen someone try to act like it's nearly 1:1. Civilian casualties were "best case" 75 percent of the dead early in the war (and that's if every man was a Hamas member) and likely over 90 percent at this point with famine taking hold. Israel's "AI" they're supposedly using for targeting has parameters allowing 1:20 for even low level members of Hamas.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 17, 2024

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Nail Rat posted:

The bolded isn't actually accurate, about a third of the count is reasonably confirmed deaths but not identities. Stuff along the lines of "we have seen video of this dead body from a reasonably reliable source and we're pretty sure we're not double-counting it". e: or semi-anecdotal medical reports? Anyway this is iirc why the UN split their numbers, in fact, giving rise to a bunch of pro-Israel hooting and hollering.

I'm not really going to buy your (or my) gut estimate of undercounting. I'm willing to buy the health ministry's as a ballpark, which one of the heads gave in March or so as "I dunno, maybe around ten thousand, please don't take that as authoritative".

Do note, however, that it doesn't seem to include excess deaths from illness / treatable causes. I haven't been able to find remotely reliable numbers there other than "only 30 or so people have died directly of starvation, so far, that we've been able to confirm", and they might be impossible to find until after the invasion. It does seem that the start of famine conditions was delayed and alleviated for a while by way of, until recently, just enough supplies to starve very slowly. Estimates in February were that it would get real bad before, well, now.

Got some incidental supply numbers yesterday from an article where Israel's Foreign Minister is being a poo poo:

quote:

Israel and Egypt are locked in a row over the Rafah border crossing, blaming each other for its continued closure as Gaza's humanitarian crisis worsens.

Israeli forces have taken control of the Gaza side of the crossing.

On Tuesday Israel's Foreign Minister Israel Katz said he had told the UK and Germany about "the need to persuade Egypt to reopen" the crossing.

Mr Katz said the Palestinian armed group Hamas, which attacked southern Israel on 7 October last year, sparking the current war, could no longer "control the Rafah crossing", citing security concerns over which Israel "will not compromise".

"The world places the responsibility for the humanitarian situation on Israel, but the key to preventing a humanitarian crisis in Gaza is now in the hands of our Egyptian friends," Mr Katz wrote on X.
In its most recent update, Cogat - the Israeli military agency tasked with coordinating aid access in Gaza - said 64 aid trucks entered Gaza on Sunday, significantly down on the daily number of trucks that entered in April.

COGAT's an odd duck. They're the Israeli military organization (bad) overseeing Gaza's interactions with Israel in what passes for peacetime (bad), including the general bureaucratic needs of Gaza's existence (neutral). I think their numbers on this sort of metric, especially when it's pretty easily verifiable by people at the border and the truck drivers themselves, are probably reliable.

And while UNRWA detailed analysis of the water situation is basically nonexistent due to breakdown of ease of communication and on the ground reporting (most recent overall crisis report: https://www.unrwa.org/resources/reports/unrwa-situation-report-107-situation-gaza-strip-and-west-bank-including-east-Jerusalem), an article on twenty or so US doctors stuck in Gaza and seeking to evacuate suggests the water supply has gone from "significant health risk due to insufficient clean water" to "actual immediate threat":

https://theintercept.com/2024/05/13...pt%20Newsletter

sourcing seems reliable enough

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 17, 2024

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

You can also plainly see that only Israelis have been killing Christian Gazans and bombing their churches. Hamas has not bothered them (other than making it illegal to drink alcohol I guess)

Israel is 100% in the wrong, you don't need to try and make Hamas into angels, and you'll just start a lovely derail if you depict them that way.

I could go pull up articles about Hamas doing horrible things to LGBT people. There are greater sins than making it illegal to drink alcohol.

Esran posted:

Maybe examine why you felt the need to rush in with "Hamas are no angels".

Because someone suggested that their prohibition of alcohol was the only way Hamas was negatively affecting residents of Gaza and that's a hilariously wrong statement on its face.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 17, 2024

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Goatse James Bond posted:

Stuff along the lines of "we have seen video of this dead body from a reasonably reliable source and we're pretty sure we're not double-counting it".

Considering what we heard from doctors about "wounded child, no surviving family" becoming a common phrase back in December, I think it is equally likely we're talking about actual verified corpses that no one can identify because the relatives are dead.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Israel is 100% in the wrong, you don't need to try and make Hamas into angels, and you'll just start a lovely derail if you depict them that way.

I could go pull up articles about Hamas doing horrible things to LGBT people. There are greater sins than making it illegal to drink alcohol.

How is this at all related to a rebuttal of the statement that "the Palestinians want a judenrein Arab ethnostate and always have"?

Maybe examine why you felt the need to rush in with "Hamas are no angels".

edit:

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Because someone suggested that their prohibition of alcohol was the only way Hamas was negatively affecting residents of Gaza and that's a hilariously wrong statement on its face.

That is not what they said, you should read it again. The point being made was about religious/ethnic tolerance.

Esran fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 17, 2024

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Groovelord Neato posted:

This is incredible even Israel tried to play it off like it's 1:2 I've never seen someone try to act like it's nearly 1:1. Civilian casualties were "best case" 75 percent of the dead early in the war (and that's if every man was a Hamas member) and likely over 90 percent at this point with famine taking hold. Israel's "AI" they're supposedly using for targeting has parameters allowing 1:20 for even low level members of Hamas.

you can get some really hard to believe numbers once you simply decide that every single palestinian man woman and child is a hamas fighter

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Ah see they were just talking about Gazan Christians and didn't specify the LGBT community, you get 3 pinnochios Deadly Muffin

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Esran posted:

Considering what we heard from doctors about "wounded child, no surviving family" becoming a common phrase back in December, I think it is equally likely we're talking about actual verified corpses that no one can identify because the relatives are dead.

Oh yeah that's certainly a possibility. I read the other two things in a couple articles about the health ministry and the counting challenges but it's very possible I saw something about identification difficulties and didn't realize the implications.

In lighter news, to steal some of Bar Ran Dun's thunder, aid has started unloading at the pier, this first batch apparently a British contribution:

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cz96d3dn9jro

quote:

The first shipment of humanitarian aid has arrived in Gaza via a temporary floating pier, the US military has confirmed.

US Central Command said that aid trucks began moving ashore at about 09:00 local time (07:00 BST) on Friday.

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said the delivery of 8,400 plastic shelters was "the culmination of a herculean joint international effort".

Descriptions of the logistical outline via Reuters:

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/aid-trucks-begin-moving-ashore-via-gaza-pier-us-says-2024-05-17/

quote:

Aid offloaded at the pier will come via a maritime corridor from Cyprus, where it is first inspected by Israel. Britain said on Friday it had delivered its first aid shipment via the pier.
The U.N. World Food Programme will have a handful of staff stationed near the pier to coordinate distribution of the aid - using contractors - throughout Gaza, said a U.N. official, speaking on condition of anonymity.

U.S. officials have said the pier would initially handle 90 trucks a day, but that number could go to 150 trucks. To maintain U.N. neutrality at the pier, U.N. staff will not have any contact with the Israeli military, which is providing security and logistics support for the operation.
Haq said on Friday that the U.N. will coordinate "the arrival of empty trucks, their registration, overseeing the loading and transfer of commodities coming through the floating dock to the trucks and the dispatch to warehouses across Gaza and, finally, hand over the supplies to humanitarian partners".

also the obligatory UN et al complaints in both articles saying correctly that the land borders need to be unstoppered and it needs to be done now. There's this bit, bolding mine:

quote:

Israel has said it is stepping up aid efforts, and the military said 365 trucks entered through the Kerem Shalom and Erez crossings on Thursday, carrying flour and fuel. Hundreds of tents were also delivered for people evacuated from Rafah to the Al-Mawasi area, which Israel has declared a humanitarian zone.
Israel also recently started moving supplies through a new point close to the existing Erez crossing in northern Gaza. However, the southern crossings of Erez and Kerem Shalom have been disrupted by military operations.
Israel's military said in a statement it "will continue its efforts to allow humanitarian aid to enter the Gaza Strip by land, air, and sea, in accordance with international law."
The United Nations said on Thursday that "for days now, crossings into southern Gaza have been closed, unsafe to access, or not logistically viable".

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Gazan christians and lgbt are at higher risk of death by israel because of their genocidal famine and bombing campaign

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Esran posted:

They didn't.

Or in other words, the lower number is the number of victims who have been fully identified. The previous number included corpses they don't know the names of.
The issue is that these numbers cannot be reconciled. The Health Ministry is saying that 10000 + 15000 = 25000 women and children have died. OCHA's confirmed figures put it at 4900 + 7700 = 12600. Even if you assume all 11,000 unidentified victims (IE, the difference in total between the confirmed count and the total count) are women and children (which is basically impossible) you cannot get to the Health Ministry's figure.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
ocha uses palestinian health ministry numbers, eg
https://www.ochaopt.org/content/hostilities-gaza-strip-and-israel-reported-impact-day-224

also if you think for a moment about who is most likely to be taking shelter in the deepest, hardest to recover parts of buildings it's going to be predominately women and children, especially given how heavily gaza's population already skews towards women and children

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 17, 2024

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Gaza is experiencing a complete institutional breakdown on account of being invaded and occupied by a hostile power which harbours no intent on governing the existing population, and which does not shy away from targeting humanitarian workers and international organisations in the area. The 30K+ figure is almost certainly an underestimate, given it hasn't risen much in months in spite of continued bombing, fighting, and induced famine, and my gut says we've crossed the 6 figure mark months ago (I fully admit to this being purely conjecture on my part and not based on any reliable data).

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

TLM3101 posted:

So, about the pier...

Turns out, Israel has found a way to use it to sever the Gaza strip in two:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2024/05/17/gaza-israel-netzarim-corridor-war-hamas/

(my bolding)

Israel have also been building forward military outposts, check-points, holding-areas and bases across the only two major north-south roads of the Strip. They're there to stay forever. Well done, Biden.

Eventually a rocket is going to hit one of the bases near the pier and it'll be used as proof that Hamas will genocide their own people via denying them aid befure surrendering.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The issue is that these numbers cannot be reconciled. The Health Ministry is saying that 10000 + 15000 = 25000 women and children have died. OCHA's confirmed figures put it at 4900 + 7700 = 12600. Even if you assume all 11,000 unidentified victims (IE, the difference in total between the confirmed count and the total count) are women and children (which is basically impossible) you cannot get to the Health Ministry's figure.

I will go ahead and say that the Gazan Ministry of Health is fundamentally more trustworthy at this point.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 17, 2024

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Esran posted:

That is not what they said, you should read it again. The point being made was about religious/ethnic tolerance.

This. Yes they are horrible on lgbt etc but that was not what I was talking about.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

This is not accurate. The Health Ministry never reported the initial large numbers you are mentioning.

Here's what a UN representative had to say about it https://x.com/MiddleEastEye/status/1790259900876194078

And here's NBC's overview

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/gaza-death-toll-ocha-un-confusion-anger-rcna151934 posted:

Previously, OCHA had reported the total number of people killed in Gaza (which reached 35,000 this month), along with a breakdown of the number of women and children among the dead, citing the government media office in Gaza. As of May 6, Day 213 of the war, OCHA reported that at least 14,500 children had been killed in Gaza, along with 9,500 women.

But starting two days later, May 8, OCHA appeared to change the source of its data, citing information from the ministry of health in Gaza, rather than the government media office, on how many women, children and men were among 24,686 people killed who had been fully identified as of April 30. It is not clear why the presentation of the data was changed.

(...)

“The numbers have not dramatically shifted. The overall tally remains unchanged — 35,000,” OCHA spokesperson Jens Laerke said in emailed comments to NBC News on Monday. “What is new is the level of verification ('full details have been documented') for a subset of 24,686 of those fatalities."

(...)

When he first saw the new data published by OCHA, World Health Organization spokesman Christian Lindmeier told NBC News that he too found the information “striking.” But upon a closer look, he said it was clear that the way the data was being represented had changed.

(...)

“This is absolutely normal and to be expected that figures shift in one way or another,” Lindmeier said.

https://time.com/6979208/israel-gaza-death-toll/ posted:

For months, the agency had been regularly updating an estimated total death toll in Gaza and breaking that total down by gender and age. Those figures were based on information provided to the U.N. by three Hamas-controlled entities: the Gaza Ministry of Health, Hamas’s government media office, and the Gaza chapter of the Palestinian Civil Defense, which provides emergency response in Gaza.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-69014893 posted:

Why did the UN change approach?

The GMO has consistently given a higher figure for the proportion of women and children in all fatalities than has the health ministry.

On 6 May, the UN reported 34,735 deaths - of which there were 9,500 women and 14,500 children, citing the GMO as its source.

The two days later, the UN released a further report, switching its sourcing to the health ministry.

The result of this was that although the overall recorded death toll was almost unchanged (34,844), the number of registered deaths of women (4.959) and children (7,797) had both fallen significantly.

This difference was because those individuals with incomplete information were not included in the demographic breakdown.

(...)

Asked by BBC Verify why it made the change, the UN said it used the GMO data for women and children killed because the health ministry had not been publishing these figures.

You can also find a comparison of the OCHA graphic before and after the change in this article https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/gaza-women-children-death-toll-1.7203167.

So what actually happened is that the OCHA were aggregating information from the Health Ministry, the government media office and the civil defense. The Health Ministry didn't publish a breakdown into men/women/children, so those numbers were coming from the media office, a sourcing which the OCHA were explicit about in their graphic at the time. I think it's fair to assume that the media office were giving a qualified guess at the breakdown, and that an accurate count simply didn't exist until now. You'll note if you look at the OCHA graphic from before the adjustment that the breakdown numbers are explicitly not accurate counts, otherwise they would not be vaguely listed as ">9500 women" and ">14500 children".

The Health Ministry then put out a report on the victims they've completely identified, along with a demographic breakdown, and the OCHA decided they'd rather publish actual counts now that they exist, over the vague estimates that existed before. The new counts exclude the ten thousand still unidentified victims, which accounts for some of the drop. Those people are still dead, we just don't know whether they were men, women or children. The lack of accuracy inherent to estimating the breakdown before the Health Ministry has firm numbers accounts for the remainder.

When multiple experts tell me that this kind of estimation followed by correction is normal in a war, I'm inclined to believe them. I'll remind you that these new lower numbers are coming from the Hamas-run Health Ministry. I see no reason to assume the original numbers were deliberately fudged. Hamas deliberately lying and then correcting themselves would be idiotic.

edit:

Also, not that it matters that much, but the new breakdown separates 2000 "elderly" into a group that didn't exist before, they are counted as neither men nor women. Old people are apparently genderless.

Esran fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 17, 2024

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
ik getting to do Holocaust denialism on the numbers :bignews:

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

The death tolls already in the six figures and would keep rising even if Israel did a 180 and slammed open every border and lifted every restriction cause the entire health system has been obliterated, if nothing else. The reports of the true death count that will trickle out as this continues will be met by people at the highest echelons of power gleefully engaging in ‘oh actually there weren’t enough ovens to burn that many people’ style denialism.

Officially a few ten thousand deaths, Hamas numbers mind you, and the vast majority terrorists, but hundreds of thousands of ‘missing’ Palestinians who must have disappeared unto Egypt or Jordan, despite there being zero evidence they ever got there. And only the most die hard antisemites would support a death count above the officially approved number. This will be the position of the most left wing politicians you are allowed to vote for.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

This is an argument that is no different, in any appreciable way, from the nazis who cast the exact same sorts of doubt about about the six million Jews murdered in the Holocaust.

I know we are doing Calm Hitlers in this thread, but posts like this (from an IK, no less) and allowing Nameless_Steve to vomit up his outrageously racist, intensely Islamophobic hasbara drivel should not be acceptable even under the Koos regime for the exact same reasons nazis posting the same sorts of things about doubting the numbers of Jewish people murdered in the Holocaust and Protocols of the Elders of Zion conspiracy poo poo would be immediately -- and correctly -- perma'd. Something Awful should not be a safe place for a fascist ideology, whose ideologues are actively engaged in a genocide.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
What loving difference does it make if it's 35,000 vs. 24,000 dead? The whole discussion is so grotesque.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Mechafunkzilla posted:

What loving difference does it make if it's 35,000 vs. 24,000 dead? The whole discussion is so grotesque.

It's important to Israeli propaganda that they can frame the conflict as a normal "war" with a "normal" number of civilians being killed. Given the widely available images and videos of the IDF levelling Gaza and shooting anything that moves, quibbling over the numbers is all they can do.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

This is an argument that is no different, in any appreciable way, from the nazis who cast the exact same sorts of doubt about about the six million Jews murdered in the Holocaust.

I know we are doing Calm Hitlers in this thread, but posts like this (from an IK, no less) and allowing Nameless_Steve to vomit up his outrageously racist, intensely Islamophobic hasbara drivel should not be acceptable even under the Koos regime for the exact same reasons nazis posting the same sorts of things about doubting the numbers of Jewish people murdered in the Holocaust and Protocols of the Elders of Zion conspiracy poo poo would be immediately -- and correctly -- perma'd. Something Awful should not be a safe place for a fascist ideology, whose ideologues are actively engaged in a genocide.

Actually Koos confirmed in a feedback thread last November that whether the Holocaust was good and should be restarted and brought to a successful conclusion this time is a valid debate and we should be so lucky to have Nazis come here and explain to us (calmly) why.

E:

Koos Group posted:

If it had occurred in UKMT, I don't know, but in D&D proper, yes. Seeing Nazi or antisemitic arguments and their refutations could be quite informative, particularly with the outbreak of this ideology in the past decade, as it would help people not only recognize them but argue against them elsewhere.

Koos Group posted:

It's the same as the benefit of having any position argued by its actual adherents rather than only summarized or analyzed by others. Getting it straight from the horse's mouth means it is more likely to be similar to what you'll encounter in the real world, and you can see what sort of things they might say in response to criticisms.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 17, 2024

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I think it is valuable to understand that what some media outlets were pushing this last week was fake news, and in what way it was fake. There's no reason to hand a victory lap to people like Nameless_Steve.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Also threadban Nameless_Steve.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Casualty numbers in the middle of a war are always going to be inaccurate for obvious reasons accusing journalists of lying when estimates are revised later is at best childish if not outright dishonest.

It's an especially laughable accusation in this context when even the low end of plausible civilian death counts is still outrageous.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
There isn't even a low count because not even Israel is arguing a separate number from the Gazan Health Ministry number that everyone is using. The last time Israel accused the gazan health ministry of inflating numbers GHM released a full list of every person killed. Israel's messaging has instead been some wishy washy 'well what percent of them are terrorist militants?' and zero-evidence claims of 1:1 ratios of terrorists to civilians, but truly who the gently caress is going to believe that when Israel is indiscriminately blowing up entire blocks of refugee camps. The only way you could get anywhere near Israel's claimed ratio of militants to civilians is if you've just decided that virtually everyone over the age of 10 in Gaza is a terrorist, which does actually seem to reflect the IDF's view of Palestinians

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Nucleic Acids posted:

Eventually a rocket is going to hit one of the bases near the pier and it'll be used as proof that Hamas will genocide their own people via denying them aid befure surrendering.

As it happens, you've predicted the past: at the end of April there was a mortar attack on one of the construction areas. If I'm understanding correctly it has become / is becoming one of the intermediate offloading areas onshore.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2024/04/25/gaza-floating-pier/

and the response from the usual suspects was just about what you said: [insert various horrible israeli and israel-adjacent media outlets here]

there actually aren't a lot of non-horrible English language outlets that picked it up, because it caused neither injuries nor appreciable damage, so it's like the four thousand and nineteenth worst thing that happened in Gaza that day

YF-23 posted:

Gaza is experiencing a complete institutional breakdown on account of being invaded and occupied by a hostile power which harbours no intent on governing the existing population, and which does not shy away from targeting humanitarian workers and international organisations in the area. The 30K+ figure is almost certainly an underestimate, given it hasn't risen much in months in spite of continued bombing, fighting, and induced famine, and my gut says we've crossed the 6 figure mark months ago (I fully admit to this being purely conjecture on my part and not based on any reliable data).

If we really must start getting into gut feelings about direct killings from the invasion, it's entirely possible that they have slowed way way down between A) people having fled to the few safe-ish areas and B) the highest intensity of the conflict in areas smaller numbers of people are returning to being over. It's indirect deaths that are probably picking up speed now.

UNRWA doesn't have solid publicly available data on indirect deaths (illness, other medical problems, malnutrition, potentially dehydration now) but actually seems like one of the orgs that might be able to make a guess if they were so inclined: as much as 75% of the population is potentially displaced and at least notionally registered with UNRWA shelter and aid services.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'm more just taking the health ministry numbers entirely at face value but I'm interested in the numbers because they're pretty much the best way I've found to sway swayable people. "Israel is causing a preventable famine and water crisis" is clear, concise, difficult to argue with, pretty easy to support factually, and horrible.

Esran posted:

I think it is valuable to understand that what some media outlets were pushing this last week was fake news, and in what way it was fake. There's no reason to hand a victory lap to people like Nameless_Steve.

yeah that too, ditto the mortar thing: in practical terms it's less than a nothingburger but it's out there in the israel-apologist media

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Casualty numbers in the middle of a war are always going to be inaccurate for obvious reasons accusing journalists of lying when estimates are revised later is at best childish if not outright dishonest.

It's an especially laughable accusation in this context when even the low end of plausible civilian death counts is still outrageous.

I suspect that since keeping the 'official' death count of the Yemen war at "over 10 thousand" for five loving years while the US and UK went on arming Saudi Arabia, to then update it to 200 thousand once nobody cared was a big success for the powers that be, and we will see it repeated here.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://x.com/ytirawi/status/1791155389620269252?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

extremely bleak lol

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

The israelis finally have proof of weapons being stored in hospitals!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
That's a war crime bingo right there.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

We're just fighting Hamas [sprays Jewish supremacist graffiti in schools and hospitals]

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 18, 2024

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Every accusation a confession, I guess

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I guess, technically, if they made sure there were no more patients or doctors in the building, it's no longer a hospital? War crime lawyers, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008

Paladinus posted:

I guess, technically, if they made sure there were no more patients or doctors in the building, it's no longer a hospital? War crime lawyers, please correct me if I'm wrong.

From what I've seen, they went to great lengths to ensure there were no patients or doctors alive in the building.