Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Dedicated servers were better and I say that as someone who plays punishing pvp games.

Server browsers were better than all of this matchmaking nonsense. :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Mordja posted:

I've noticed this thread is just comedically anti anything PVP, unless it's a game from the last time goons were happy, age 12.

We've all developed anxiety disorders in our adulthood

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Groovelord Neato posted:

Dedicated servers were better and I say that as someone who plays punishing pvp games.

Holy poo poo, they were. I think one of the big things people miss when comparing contemporary matchmaking with 90's and early 00's MP games is that servers were essentially a public space with a regular crew. Like if you logged in to play at a given time you'd usually end up playing with the same people, developing friendships and rivalries, a local culture of play emerged. Specially if it was a custom server running a particular mod. This is all lost with most games moving towards matchmaking, where the only regular people you meet are your existing friends you're already matched with, your opponents are mostly random and interchangeable, they might as well be bots if that technology hadn't died with the Unreal Tournament franchise. Sure, there are nostalgia glasses on, but mainstream MP gaming is objectively a very different experience now than it was 20 years ago.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

yea i like multi... playing multiple single player games that is!!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Mordja posted:

I've noticed this thread is just comedically anti anything PVP, unless it's a game from the last time goons were happy, age 12.

This is such a terrible take. There is no way I was happy at age 12.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I was playing games like Chivalry and Mordhau religiously until relatively recently, so it's not that I hate PVP. It's just modern shooters that don't interest me. I don't know why that is, it was never a conscious decision to stop playing them. It's not necessarily the competitive aspect, in the co-op games that I do play, I can be pretty competitive whenever it comes up. I think the difference is, when you get all the green circles in Vermintide 2 (which I do, on Cataclysm, because I am an epic gamer do not let the haters claim otherwise), it doesn't really affect the other players other than them not getting them. While if it's PVP, it's more of a zero-sum game, the other guys have to be getting destroyed if I'm dominating.

I guess ranked play is a way to alleviate that, but then you get the problem of people caring way too much about their rank, or trying to manipulate it, and it's just eh. I'd rather go back to my good-vibes co-op game.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

Dear Video Game God, please please please let this be good.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Mordja posted:

I mainly just lament how the tone of PVP has shifted in the eSports era. It's mainly why I still like CoD, because nobody really takes it seriously in casual play and it's the closest to dumb arena fun that you can really get in the modern pantheon of popular games.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Volte posted:

I mainly just lament how the tone of PVP has shifted in the eSports era. It's mainly why I still like CoD, because nobody really takes it seriously in casual play and it's the closest to dumb arena fun that you can really get in the modern pantheon of popular games.

Never, ever turn on the "you can hear your enemies mic when you kill them" feature if you still believe casual CoD is not taken seriously.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Orv posted:

Never, ever turn on the "you can hear your enemies mic when you kill them" feature if you still believe casual CoD is not taken seriously.
Getting poo poo talked by your enemies when you kill them is fun and good. Getting poo poo talked by your own teammates is where I draw the line.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

if only it worked this way, but of course players at all mmr levels will get extremely mad about losing mmr regardless of their own level of skill if they believe a teammate to be playing "non-optimally"
if you're an A+ player but want to play casually and do goofy stuff that brings you down to a B- level, all the natural B- skill level players there will still call you racial slurs over voice chat for those nonoptimal goofy choices

Jack Trades posted:

Turn off chat?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

dropping into a more social TF2 server and getting absorbed into the vibe was the best. The match wasn’t a formal thing that everyone there had queued into and formally started at the same time with all the tryhard expectations that system creates, it was just this come and go thing you got to be a part of for as long as you wanted with no obligations. I wish that environment was more common in competitive games. now I only play hunt showdown and I’m sad all the time. my head hurts

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

ZearothK posted:

Holy poo poo, they were. I think one of the big things people miss when comparing contemporary matchmaking with 90's and early 00's MP games is that servers were essentially a public space with a regular crew. Like if you logged in to play at a given time you'd usually end up playing with the same people, developing friendships and rivalries, a local culture of play emerged. Specially if it was a custom server running a particular mod. This is all lost with most games moving towards matchmaking, where the only regular people you meet are your existing friends you're already matched with, your opponents are mostly random and interchangeable, they might as well be bots if that technology hadn't died with the Unreal Tournament franchise. Sure, there are nostalgia glasses on, but mainstream MP gaming is objectively a very different experience now than it was 20 years ago.
Games like Hell Let Loose and Squad still have this if those games are something you can stomach. They are 100% community servers that see the same people log in and play together with also a pretty large influx of new players regularly.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Owl Inspector posted:

dropping into a more social TF2 server and getting absorbed into the vibe was the best. The match wasn’t a formal thing that everyone there had queued into and formally started at the same time with all the tryhard expectations that system creates, it was just this come and go thing you got to be a part of for as long as you wanted with no obligations. I wish that environment was more common in competitive games.

:yeah:

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Rusty posted:

Games like Hell Let Loose and Squad still have this if those games are something you can stomach. They are 100% community servers that see the same people log in and play together with also a pretty large influx of new players regularly.

Can speak for Hell Let Loose that they're really friendly to new players. Recommend to pick basic Rifleman if its your first or second time playing to get a feel of the game, but if you want to try some of the other roles, like Engineer (which lets you build fortifications anywhere on the map) don't be afraid to ask in squad or local what you should be doing. They're usually pretty helpful and are happy to see people playing the role they chose.

The few times I've seen people get lovely, the rest of the server usually starts calling them out.

One exception, though. Don't play commander (or to a much lesser extent, squad leader) unless you really know what you're doing, since those roles have specific important jobs that have an impact of more than a single player. Commanders can only talk to Squad Leads (and sniper/spotter squads(?)), where as Squad Leads can talk to other SL and their squad. Squaddies can only talk in local or with their squad.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

+1 for hell let loose.

But I think the biggest thing I've done for my mental health as far as online multiplayer goes is completely refusing to play any game that can punish you for leaving in the middle of a match.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

use playnite

I tried Playnite only a few days ago and it's slow as hell, felt like it was running at 20fps or something. It was not great to use.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Please just let me recreate the loving episode 1 gungan vs battle droid fight please oh god gently caress

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Please just let me recreate the loving episode 1 gungan vs battle droid fight please oh god gently caress

"What the gently caress, this is bullshit, I was winning and then some clumsy gently caress accidentally defeated my entire army by stepping in poopoo?!"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Look all want the droids to actually get to slaughter the gungans to the last but there’s no need to be so open about the bloodthirst.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Galactic Battlegrounds exists!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Orv posted:

Galactic Battlegrounds exists!

There's also a bigass mod for GB which adds a bunch of new factions, which could be similar to how a TW:SW goes.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just got to the waiter scene in Yakuza Kiwami. Yeah, it's hosed, but technically he didn't kill the guy. I'll allow it

e: fuckin'...Reina? Stabbed us in the back? I'm devastated

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 17, 2024

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Speaking of Yakuza, here's my recent entry from 'beat a game' thread:

FutureCop posted:

Just beat Like a Dragon: Ishin! and had a good time overall with my 40 hour trek!

Story was nice, though I felt a bit bad that I wasn't keeping track of specifics that well at times: I like the political intrigue and mystery, but there were so many factions and aliases to keep track of and the helpful glossary feature they had really didn't cover aspects as much as I'd like. I'm also not that aware of the history this is based off of so I'm not getting the deeper meaning and divergences: coming into this I only knew a small bit about Sakamoto Ryoma, being someone who kind of flip-flopped from being hardline against foreigners to being the face of East/West fusion, donning a kimono but wearing western shoes, and yes, carrying both a katana and a pistol. Because of this I was a bit confused as to how that aspect wasn't played up: yes, he preaches equality and he has the Wild Dancer stance, but it really felt like he was traditional samurai man through and through, constantly using just the Swordmaster stance in cutscenes and ignoring guns. But then again, this has a whole alternate history and identity crisis, so perhaps it is intentional.

I'm surprised at how much I got into the side activities, or rather, how much I didn't get annoyed at how much it pushes you into them! Usually I'd say I only dip my toes into the side activities, maybe just doing the big ones like Business Management or the Cabaret Club to completion, but skipping out on plenty of side stories and minor activities like Pocket Circuit (blasphemy, I know). But in Ishin I was doing everything and enjoying myself: fishing, another home, friendships, dojo training, dungeons, arenas, scarecrow manor, selling udon, and so on and so forth. I'm even tempted to go in for Platinum Adventure which is something I've never done yet! Wonder if it's because of the way you get virtue for everything, at least as a little 'number-go-up' incentive. As said, I'm sure it would've infuriated me if I was trying to focus on the main story because the side activities are constantly popping up when you're just trying to walk down the street, blocking you off, but I was ok with it. In fact, I'm almost curious how the game would feel to skip those: I swear some chapters only felt long because I was fishing and doing other stuff, whereas if I did the main quest, it would've just been going to a place, talking to someone, and boom, chapter over!

Combat was pretty cool with a lot of neat stances which I enjoyed switching between to match the scenario, but it was pretty awkward as well. Ishin, like any other Yakuza game, involves a protagonist who never kills people, yet unlike any other Yakuza game which involves punches and kicks which could be handwaved, having your main combat involve swords and guns makes that very hard to believe. It's for that reason I tried super hard to use Brawler a lot, especially in scenes where I felt like Ryoma wouldn't want to kill people, but it's just so drat weak, even if you try and upgrade it through any means possible, like putting a bunch of brawling powerups on your armor. Moving on from that, the Gunman stance also feels very boring and exploitative, and I'm sure the Trooper abilities could probably be just as well if I got deeper into them, particularly the DLC ones. Skill tree could be pretty bad at times too with a lot of useless upgrades or important upgrades being stuck way too deep in the tree (like stance switching being deep in Brawler, which as said, is a pain to level up). Also has that common Yakuza combat weirdness where you deal with a bunch of overly-superarmored enemies. I still liked it a lot, though, especially Wild Dancer and Swordmaster.

For my next game, as tempting as it is to check out Kiwami, I'll probably move onto the Judgment series, as I've heard that has some of the best combat, and I've been enjoying playing all of the spinoffs (went from 0 to 7 to Ishin).

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mordja posted:

If I wanted to interact with other people I wouldn't be sitting at home playing videogames.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Mordja posted:

They are mad cuz bad

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

exquisite tea posted:

Online voice chat was a mistake.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
the last PvP game I played was Super Auto Pets last year, passive interactions ftw

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CA needs to include a Palpatine mode where you also control the enemy settlements and armies manually in singleplayer.

I wonder how that guy who used to make QoL mods for Total War games but insisted on inserting Star Wars characters in the loading screens is handling this news?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

That guy now has a studio that makes the Ultimate General series of games, so probably he's okay with it.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Single Player Pausing.

As an update.

Calling it: before 10 years, someone will sell the pause feature as DLC.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FishMcCool posted:

Single Player Pausing.

As an update.

Calling it: before 10 years, someone will sell the pause feature as DLC.
i mean i get it in this instance, it's because the game was always-online. now that they're patching that out, of course you'll be able to pause

does not seem like a slippery slope here op

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

The 7th Guest posted:

i mean i get it in this instance, it's because the game was always-online. now that they're patching that out, of course you'll be able to pause

Even always-online games can pause easily in single-player. The server is just looking at your cheevos and chat and poo poo, it isn't serving you the game state. And even if it did... you can still pause those. See: every multiplayer RTS run on a sever.

It's indefensible, which people in general might care more about if we didn't all know that Redfall (et al) was hot trash the moment it was previewed. People who actually paid money for it deserve what they got, suckers getting fleeced is no new business practice.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

The 7th Guest posted:

Not a slippery slope no, just a sad sign of the times that it wasn't a thing in the first place. And as mentioned in the post above, many always-online games have no issue pausing single player modes, take Warframe for another example.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Alchenar posted:

That guy now has a studio that makes the Ultimate General series of games, so probably he's okay with it.

Oh good for them, I didn't realize those had done well enough that there was more than that first one.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Serephina posted:

Even always-online games can pause easily in single-player. The server is just looking at your cheevos and chat and poo poo, it isn't serving you the game state. And even if it did... you can still pause those. See: every multiplayer RTS run on a sever.

It's indefensible, which people in general might care more about if we didn't all know that Redfall (et al) was hot trash the moment it was previewed. People who actually paid money for it deserve what they got, suckers getting fleeced is no new business practice.

I don't care about Redfall but I feel like, while unusual, it's not a wildly rare thing that games with an online component don't let you pause in single player. Some niche titles that come to mind in which you couldn't pause are Dark Souls and Divinity Original Sin.

(Which isn't to say it's a good feature or anything, but by itself not really a sign of overall game quality)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Small indie titles like Elden Ring and Baldur's Gate 3 also don't pause when you open the menu.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Pausing in the middle of posting combat to devour 40 wheels of cheese rn

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Baldur's Gate 3 has a button to pause the game. It's just not Esc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Stuck on the last boss (I think) of arctic eggs. this is FIENDISH

:edit: beat it within a minute of posting this

Aipsh fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 18, 2024