Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I just picked up a thick aluminum stock pot with a lid at the community garage sale for $5. Hell yeah let's make some soup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I just got an air fryer. What veggies are good in an air fryer?

Just did some sliced carrots :discourse:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Business Gorillas posted:

asparagus and broccoli both caramelize wonderfully

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i imagine anything in the brassica family would slap - broccoli, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, etc. potatoes should turn out great, too.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Eat This Glob posted:

i imagine anything in the brassica family would slap - broccoli, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, etc. potatoes should turn out great, too.

Can confirm all of this. Sliced squash turns out very nice too

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

potato! also brussels sprouts are one of my favorites

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

how do you all feel about parboiling your potatoes before you roast them?

I used to not bother but I find I get a much more even cook if I do so, and it doesn't take all damned night to get them done
though it doesn't always turn out as crispy as I'd like

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Business Gorillas posted:

you can make good cauliflower wings in an airfryer

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I used to not bother but I find I get a much more even cook if I do so, and it doesn't take all damned night to get them done

I don't understand why you wouldn't do it. the results are so much better if you:

1) peel
2) salt and baking soda your water
3) boil until tender
4) coat with fat/oil and perturb the potatoes to get a fuzzy coating on them

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Steaming them works fine too to get crispy potatoes. the rice cooker with steamer basket is now a permanent fixture on my counter

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
I just use the tiny potatoes so they don't require any prep beyond a quick brushing. Skins on is delicious

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

as mentioned, adding a little baking soda to the water to parboil helps. it adds a rougher, larger surface area to encourage crisping. you're also going to want to use a sufficient amount of fat to aid in crisping. finally, make sure you're crowding the pan or baking sheet. this can cause the smooshed together taters to steam more and cool the pan down, both of which are bad for browning

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

made some rooooolllls

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I'm lazy and just cut the potatoes into large cubes, toss them in a bunch of fat, and just let them do their thing in the oven.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
Just put the coals on... looking forward to a delicious STEAK before the rain comes

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

made a sooooouuuup

blending half the soup then tossing it back into the pot is the pro move here.

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

made a sooooouuuup
:hmmyes:

it's asparagus time :getin:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

drat I'd kill for some potato soup

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Eat This Glob posted:

as mentioned, adding a little baking soda to the water to parboil helps.,,
Parboiling is too much work. Cut to size, then nuke in a glass container with a little water, then shake the container to get the rough outside. Drain the water, the add the duck fat or if you don’t have it lard (from a Mexican or Chinese butcher, not the gross stuff next to Crisco) plus maybe salt, pepper, herbs and shake some more. Then bake, preferably in a convection oven or even better air fryer.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what's wrong with manteca? I figured fat is fat

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

i say swears online posted:

what's wrong with manteca? I figured fat is fat

butter burns

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQt_KOAWiVQ

this was a really uncomplicated but fun video

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Had a mini izakaya style dinner with some pickled veggies, kabocha salad, and foil packet miso mushrooms with rice. Was pretty cool and not too difficult.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

there's a uyghur lamb skewer truck near me that i need to try but i need to cook to Not Waste Food

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

When you're Out Of Food (OOF), you can track the truck down as a reward.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

i ordered pizza tonight to eat while watching basketball as a treat. either i or my roommate (probably me) accidentally turned the element on on our oven when putting the pizza box down on the oven. thankfully i noticed before the box caught on fire, but it did smoke like a bastard.

this is to say, you should cook so you don't almost set your apartment on fire

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Eat This Glob posted:

i ordered pizza tonight to eat while watching basketball as a treat. either i or my roommate (probably me) accidentally turned the element on on our oven when putting the pizza box down on the oven. thankfully i noticed before the box caught on fire, but it did smoke like a bastard.

this is to say, you should cook so you don't almost set your apartment on fire

I had a roommate once who would put delivery pizza boxes in the oven to stay warm and then forget they were in there then a few days later somebody would preheat the oven to cook something and fill the place with smoke

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

a long time ago i made frozen general tso's in a big pyrex bowl directly on the range and it loving exploded

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

my friend growing up had a habit in his family where people would store stuff in the oven (like bread in plastic bags) and multiple times a year they'd start a fire or melt something.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

my friend growing up had a habit in his family where people would store stuff in the oven (like bread in plastic bags) and multiple times a year they'd start a fire or melt something.

lmao people store like blankets and poo poo in their ovens

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I keep cast iron skillets and baking sheets I don't want to deal with or look at inside of my oven.

sometimes I forget they're in there but it's never a fire situation.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I keep my dutch oven in there because it’s a good heat sink when baking other things

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Back when I was repairing laptops for a (lovely) living, we had an oven case. Someone went on vacation, didn't want to take their work laptop with them, and didn't trust their roommates.

So, they hid their work laptop in the oven.

Guess what they did about dinner when they got home?

Total loss, what's your cost center?

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

there's a uyghur lamb skewer truck near me that i need to try but i need to cook to Not Waste Food

lamb skewers were like half of my diet in china they whip.

I need to find a way to make them at home. tried using a costco leg of lamb but it's real hard to trim the fat cap in a way you can do that fat/meat/fat/meat pattern they do. prob need to go to a halal butcher and find a fattier cut of lamb

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

I keep my barbecue grille in my oven when I'm not barbecuing. Whenever I turn on the oven to cook food it bakes off the stuff that gets crusted on to the grille

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Someone in here mentioned 'hundred garlic chicken', I couldn't find that did find recipes for 40-garlic chicken. We made the simplest version I could find.

Rub a chicken with cider vinegar, salt and pepper, rest for 15mins. Add garlic cloves [we did half peeled and half unpeeled], 1cup white wine. Cover and roast at 400 for 1h, baste, continue uncovered for ~30mins. We also quickly broiled to get some extra brown.
Crusty bread for spreading the garlic.

It was delicious, the house smelled incredible. At first we had exactly 40 cloves but it looked sparse so we added two more whole bulbs.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

releasing a 39-garlic chicken for today's busy moms

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

releasing a 39-garlic chicken for today's busy moms

Stopping at Safeway on my drive home after a long day for a rotisserie chicken and a tub of pre peeled garlic

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

A five-gallon costco bucket of minced garlic in water and a buffet pan of chicken or gtfo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Flambeau posted:

Someone in here mentioned 'hundred garlic chicken', I couldn't find that did find recipes for 40-garlic chicken.

I'm sure you could adapt it. Maybe try increasing the amount of garlic?