Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Hold their driver's license while they test ride?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

If it is a mid drive, you can put it under the plastic cover.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Hdip posted:

Hold their driver's license while they test ride?

Whole wallet and if you’re feeling put off by them, ask to take off their shoes too.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

In the past I've usually just asked for the whole amount if they want to test ride and if they don't like the bike we'd trade back.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I've been hunting around for a folding bike with a UL certified battery, with front suspension and under $1k. Found this one, any thoughts? https://ride1up.com/product/portola/

Edit: oh the lectric xp 3.0 is on sale for $999

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 12:47 on May 13, 2024

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

CopperHound posted:

If it is a mid drive, you can put it under the plastic cover.

One of em has a Bafang M400, the other has a Bosch Performance Line CX. They have covers that come off?

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'
Blegh, the lens came off the front light on my Generation e1.2 while riding and went god-knows-where. Any suggestions on what I could rig up aside from my current Ziploc bag cover, since I would rather not drop 50 on a full replacement light?

Airconswitch fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 13, 2024

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Airconswitch posted:

Blegh, the lens came off the front light on my Generation e1.2 while riding and went god-knows-where. Any suggestions on what I could rig up aside from my current Ziploc bag cover, since I would rather not drop 50 on a full replacement light?

Potentially dumb question, but have you tried emailing them and asking if you can get a lens?

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'

T.C. posted:

Potentially dumb question, but have you tried emailing them and asking if you can get a lens?

Tried the manufacturer of the light and haven't gotten a reply yet, might try a distributor.

theratking
Jan 18, 2012
I'm trying to convince my wife to get an ebike for a short 2-3 mile commute instead of driving (and possibly necessitating buying another car).

We're in Texas so it's hot in the summer, but I'm hopeful this will be a better experience than driving downtown for most of the year. The route is almost entirely on pedestrian/bike paths which include dirt/gravel portions.

She's 5'0" and is only a beginner/nervous about biking regularly so I'm looking for beginner friendly bikes that can accommodate short ppl. Bonus points if maintenance is easy. Neither of us are very handy.

Budget is flexible but I'm nervous about wasting $$ if she doesn't take to it.

theratking fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 14, 2024

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Since you're US-based I feel like this would be the perfect spot for the REI e1.1 or e1.2. They're definitely on the heavy side for someone 5'0", and I have doubts about their long-term support (spare battery/motor even though they're Bafang-branded) but for near and medium term nothing beats having REI either take it back or deal with it in their bike shop.

Sure they don't have OEM fenders (but you're in Texas) and they're likely not great in the wet (but you're in Texas) and the battery won't go far (a novice rider at level 1-2 assist for a few miles is perfect) but they're a great intro to the ebike concept.

My mother-in-law got one, and despite immediately falling over because she doesn't understand starting on an incline, she still loves the thing.

theratking
Jan 18, 2012

Jonny Quest posted:

Since you're US-based I feel like this would be the perfect spot for the REI e1.1 or e1.2. They're definitely on the heavy side for someone 5'0", and I have doubts about their long-term support (spare battery/motor even though they're Bafang-branded) but for near and medium term nothing beats having REI either take it back or deal with it in their bike shop.

Sure they don't have OEM fenders (but you're in Texas) and they're likely not great in the wet (but you're in Texas) and the battery won't go far (a novice rider at level 1-2 assist for a few miles is perfect) but they're a great intro to the ebike concept.

My mother-in-law got one, and despite immediately falling over because she doesn't understand starting on an incline, she still loves the thing.

Thanks! When you say e1.1/e1.2 do you mean the CTY or Generation model? They look quite different.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Jonny Quest posted:

PDW makes a specific gender for the genE

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

PDW makes a specific gender for the genE

Really leaning into the Portland Design.

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.

theratking posted:

I'm trying to convince my wife to get an ebike for a short 2-3 commute instead of driving (and possibly necessitating buying another car).

We're in Texas so it's hot in the summer, but I'm hopeful this will be a better experience than driving downtown for most of the year. The route is almost entirely on pedestrian/bike paths which include dirt/gravel portions.

She's 5'0" and is only a beginner/nervous about biking regularly so I'm looking for beginner friendly bikes that can accommodate short ppl. Bonus points if maintenance is easy. Neither of us are very handy.

imo, JackRabbit. Hard to imagine something more small-person friendly. No chain maintenance, very simple overall. So small that it should be easy to bring inside instead of having to lock it up outside.

They have dealers in major Texas cities, so you can test ride one first. I tried both models at Electrify Expo and found them very nice to ride, good handling for their size.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

theratking posted:

Thanks! When you say e1.1/e1.2 do you mean the CTY or Generation model? They look quite different.

Oh, sorry, the Generation models, forgot they still did the CTY.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
My bike is a lot like that REI e1.1/e1.2 model, though it does have fenders (it rains a lot more where I am), and it's absolutely brilliant - it's my only vehicle and does everything I need.

Perfect for commuting, but also very good for grocery runs.

Fenders are pretty important on a commuter in my opinion, because you're more likely to get caught out by unexpected rain and you don't want to arrive to work with a muddy stripe up your back, but you can probably install something aftermarket. Also I don't know how often it rains in Texas or how predictable the forecasts are, so it might really not be an issue there - my city has weather so unpredictable people have written songs about it.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

theratking posted:

I'm trying to convince my wife to get an ebike for a short 2-3 mile commute instead of driving (and possibly necessitating buying another car).

Gen e1.1/2 will almost definitely fit her and is very beginner friendly, but definitely see how much stairs are part of her commute and how down/able she is to carry it. It's like 50 lbs, which is not abnormal for bikes in its price range or ebikes in general, but might be a lot for a 5' person depending. My partner is also small, and can handle it A-OK as long as stairs are not involved, but really struggles if a stair appears. In general I really like mine a lot, especially for the price.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

MeatRocket8 posted:

One of em has a Bafang M400, the other has a Bosch Performance Line CX. They have covers that come off?
Bafang not so much. Bosch might have 5 t15 screws holding plastic shroud.

theratking
Jan 18, 2012

sigseven posted:

imo, JackRabbit. Hard to imagine something more small-person friendly. No chain maintenance, very simple overall. So small that it should be easy to bring inside instead of having to lock it up outside.

They have dealers in major Texas cities, so you can test ride one first. I tried both models at Electrify Expo and found them very nice to ride, good handling for their size.

Interesting option, but unfortunately I think a Jackrabbit would be considered a motorized scooter and not technically allowed on the pedestrian / bike trail!

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Plenty of delivery drives on gas mopeds on the trails (and protected bike lanes) around my city :(

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I have extremely strong conflicted feelings about delivery drivers driving gas mopeds on trails and protected bike lanes. It's frustrating.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
the most correct response to this issue is to confront some of the worst paid and most precarious workers in the country as they attempt to make their very dangerous jobs slightly less perilous

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
If you’re not pedaling I’m judging the hell out of u- wither under the gaze of my evil eye

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

monsterzero posted:

If you’re not pedaling I’m judging the hell out of u- wither under the gaze of my evil eye

This is pretty much where I land. I am annoyed but they're not actually hurting anybody and pretty much any enforcement action would be disproportionately harmful towards them, so I will continue to be annoyed.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Celebrated 4K miles by hauling some wood chips! :toot:

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

monsterzero posted:

Idk if someone is going like 15 mph on their jackrabbit or rental scooter or whatever in a bike lane I don’t think I mind. I feel like it’s more about speed than about whether you’re pedaling.

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

tildes posted:

Idk if someone is going like 15 mph on their jackrabbit or rental scooter or whatever in a bike lane I don’t think I mind. I feel like it’s more about speed than about whether you’re pedaling.

Sometimes it's more about exhaust, but nothing has exhaust as bad as leaf blowers and weed whackers

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

PosSibley posted:

Sometimes it's more about exhaust, but nothing has exhaust as bad as leaf blowers and weed whackers

I don’t want state violence enacted upon them, so I have to rely on the knowledge that the people who ride lawnmower bikes and 2stroke scooters through the park will never know their gods’ light

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Looking to join the club! Main thing is fitness (we're starting from a rather bad spot) and secondary little milk and eggs runs to the store a mile or so away.

the REI e1.2 seems pretty well liked and it's like $1150 right now which seems really good for a bike-with-racks (dont really think it's a True Cargo but that's fine as it's a little more conventional looking than a big hauler). 5'9", 30" inseam. Think it's a good one to dive in with? Steep hills aren't much of an issue here, some gentle slopes but that's about all I'd need to negotiate.

e: just found the https://lectricebikes.com/products/xp-black and that seems to be a bit of a competitor. Don't care about the folding stuff but the specs look good. How would that stack up against the e1.2?

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 18, 2024

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Jonny 290 posted:

Looking to join the club! Main thing is fitness (we're starting from a rather bad spot) and secondary little milk and eggs runs to the store a mile or so away.

the REI e1.2 seems pretty well liked and it's like $1150 right now which seems really good for a bike-with-racks (dont really think it's a True Cargo but that's fine as it's a little more conventional looking than a big hauler). 5'9", 30" inseam. Think it's a good one to dive in with? Steep hills aren't much of an issue here, some gentle slopes but that's about all I'd need to negotiate.

e: just found the https://lectricebikes.com/products/xp-black and that seems to be a bit of a competitor. Don't care about the folding stuff but the specs look good. How would that stack up against the e1.2?

I like the e1.1 a lot, and 1.2’s addition of a front rack for not that much money seems worth it. It’s definitely not a premium bike, but I imagine neither is the Lectric, and it does a good job getting me around, sometimes with a lot of stuff.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Cool cool. Yeah i'm fairly experienced with maintaining bikes so I think if it's mid tier I should be okay. and the motor and such seem well regarded. Will sleep on it and see if any more suggestions come in. 800-1300ish is fine, anything more and it'd better do my laundry for me. What do people like for locks? Denver's kind of stealey.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I always say a good insurance policy beats a good lock any day, but Kryptonite makes a beefy U lock that would be hard to get through without a battery powered grinder.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
If you’ve got an Aventon dealer nearby, maybe they have some leftover Pace.2 or Solteras in that price range.
And for local utility absolutely, get something with a front rack or rigid forks that can mount one (not the Aventon rack it’s a joke.) Being able to drop in a full grocery bag or takeout is probably my favorite thing about my bike, tied with the motor I guess.

ETA: I swear by big kryptonite chain lock (insurance too), you’re not pushing all of it so heavy is good, and a long chain is helpful because e-bikes don’t fit into some bike racks. I bought a U-lock to start and it was downright useless as a primary.

monsterzero fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 18, 2024

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

kimbo305 posted:

Some big deals on overstock and refurbs at Upway.
Beltdrive and Shimano middrive for under $2k:
https://upway.co/products/cero-one-uat91

This got discounted a bit more.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

kimbo305 posted:

This got discounted a bit more.

The reverse mullet is freaking me out

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

monsterzero posted:

ETA: I swear by big kryptonite chain lock (insurance too), you’re not pushing all of it so heavy is good, and a long chain is helpful because e-bikes don’t fit into some bike racks. I bought a U-lock to start and it was downright useless as a primary.

Thanks, super helpful! I think I'm going to go with the big Kryptonite chain setup, after that glowing endorsement from the NYPD last week, lol.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Jonny 290 posted:

What do people like for locks? Denver's kind of stealey.
lol i had an insane combination of kryponite new york u-locks and chains and my poo poo was still getting stripped for parts all the time.

don't park it outside overnight. don't park it in a shared garage unless it's access controlled. don't park in your own garage unless you put in a ground anchor. i sunk two of these into the floor of the garage in our new place

Safety Dance posted:

I always say a good insurance policy beats a good lock any day, but Kryptonite makes a beefy U lock that would be hard to get through without a battery powered grinder.
the insurance policy that you can get through kryponite is a good back-up after your renter's insurance stops accepting claims after your bike gets stolen the first time. State Farm wanted me to go through some pain in the rear end "we think you're doing fraud" process on my second theft claim, so I dropped them.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 18, 2024

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah for now i can put it inside the porch that locks and has some good lock anchor points, and the next place is gonna have a garage and sensors and poo poo. advice added to list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah for now i can put it inside the porch that locks and has some good lock anchor points, and the next place is gonna have a garage and sensors and poo poo. advice added to list.
also they are stupid expensive and offer zero exercise, but you owe it to yourself to at least test ride a Super 73. the fiancée loves hers for zipping around town. they are fun as poo poo and basically just an e-dirt bike