Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Ether Frenzy posted:

I saw this in the theaters, and it wasn't great but it was loving The Departed compared to the Jerky Boys movie. God drat that was unwatchable.

Hah, I saw the Jerky Boys movie in theaters. And yeah, it was bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I can't remember if I saw it on HBO or VHS but I remember wanting to stop halfway through.

It also has Alan Arkin in it, because he's in everything.

Where the Jerky Boys calls real? I assume some early bootleg stuff is, but some of it has gotta be staged.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I think their peak popularity stuff was real, but like the Stern show, heavily edited and only the best takes.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Weren’t Sal and Artie friends with the Jerky Boys?

Did Howard ever have them on the show?

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

Two Kings posted:

Weren’t Sal and Artie friends with the Jerky Boys?

Did Howard ever have them on the show?

Artie was friends with Kamal and Artie specifically recalls Kamal telling him Sal is nuts and a stalker and to not let him near the show....
And yes most Jerky Boys calls were about as real as My Turbin is Dirty. I am sure Sal thought they were real, but he also thinks the Long Island Medium is real, so the math checks out.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO0rMiFvx0w

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Wow, I forgot that the Jerky Boys movie was even a thing. I never saw it, but I was nuts for Green Day back then and the fact that they had a song on the OST that was originally on Kerplunk blew my little mind.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

How could I forget that soundtrack? It's one of the most 90s things along with Beavis and Butthead and Judgement Night

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jerky_Boys_(soundtrack)

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Squashy Nipples posted:

You want to know something worse? It wasn't until two years ago that I learned that Dre is short for "Andre".
I just thought it was a name that black guys made up.

In all fairness, I'm not sure I would have known this if Andre wasn't my uncle's name. :shrug:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

ten cigarettes times ten minutes is..an hour :haw:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

In all fairness, I'm not sure I would have known this if Andre wasn't my uncle's name. :shrug:

Every time you have a cigarette, it's ten minutes!!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Hey, this isn't "that guy" is it?

https://www.facebook.com/talkinyanks

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

No. Jonah Falcon is "that guy" you're referring to, and that's not him.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Sand Monster posted:

No. Jonah Falcon is "that guy" you're referring to, and that's not him.

Jonah Falcon? That's a marquee name.

The Robins Taley
Apr 3, 2006

I'd bone her.
I love all these posts in this thread and all the posters but I’ve got all these worms in my stool and they’re eating my stool and they’re poking my p—

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I don't suppose Dabney Coleman was ever on the show

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Why? Dies Howard need to write him a note?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I don't think he was ever on the show and I'm trying to place what I last saw him in.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Bonzo posted:

I don't think he was ever on the show and I'm trying to place what I last saw him in.

Boardwalk Empire.

He was great in that too, no idea why he just vanished for a while.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bonzo posted:

He never really did a lot of press? I can't remember him on Letterman, either.

Remulak posted:

Boardwalk Empire.

I'm guessing he's had some dementia and/or the Alzheimers.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

If you've never seen it, go watch "Cloak and Dagger". Dabney is great in it, and it's a neat early-80's time capsule.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

If you've never seen it, go watch "Cloak and Dagger". Dabney is great in it, and it's a neat early-80's time capsule.

Looks familiar but I'm not sure I've seen it. Big Henry Thomas role coming off that "E.T." heater, too, eh?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Remulak posted:

Boardwalk Empire.

Looks like he was on Yellowstone which I only know is a show because every Boomer asks me if I watch.

I only really remember him from 9 to 5 and the TV show Buffalo Bill, which I'm shocked isn't streaming somewhere when you consider the cast.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Sand Monster posted:

Big Henry Thomas role coming off that "E.T." heater, too, eh?

Yup. And this is the movie that almost killed his career: after this no movie roles for TEN YEARS.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Looks like he was on Yellowstone which I only know is a show because every Boomer asks me if I watch.

Oh my god, you too? Jfc, my dad and everyone his age just goes nuts for it.

Meanwhile, I've been telling him to check out The Shield and Better Call Saul for years, and nothing.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I loving hate it. I look like your typical 50ish white guy (in fact I turn up the look at the airport because it makes security a breeze) and I swear any Boomer in a 100ft radius will start talking to me. when they find out I'm American they just can't believe why I wouldn't like the show.

Here's an other example, I'm in the computer store the other day because I needed some cable and didn't want to wait on Amazon. There's a guy in there, my age or older, and is being helped by some kid. So of course the guy starts with the "well I remember when ........" and made some slight joke that basically was like, "Young people...right?" and gave me a look. I just rolled my eyes at him and walk away.

My wife nearly punched some Boomer at Shoppers one time. She's using the self checkout and out of nowhere some old guy comes up and is like, "Wow these suck! remember when they would wait on you?", she ignores him. He keeps going and leans in closer, I swear to God she made a fist at him and he took off.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I watched a loud boomer in the checkout line at Trader Joe’s rambling on and on to the 20 something woman at the cash register about vultures of all things. Well you know, vulture’s stomach acid can digest just about anything you can think of but there’s one thing vulture stomach acid can’t digest, do you know what the one thing vultures can’t digest is? Do you know? My wife’s cooking!! *Jackie laugh*

I can’t imagine wanting to corner someone who is at their job who can’t tell you to gently caress off and bore them with your unwanted lengthy bird trivia speech that is actually just a lead up to your lame as gently caress My Wife joke. Energy Vampires are real.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bonzo posted:

My wife nearly punched some Boomer at Shoppers one time. She's using the self checkout and out of nowhere some old guy comes up and is like, "Wow these suck! remember when they would wait on you?", she ignores him. He keeps going and leans in closer, I swear to God she made a fist at him and he took off.

Sometimes I forget how much we up here in :canada: have infiltrated these forums.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Sometimes I forget how much we up here in :canada: have infiltrated these forums.

Right? I moved here from the US in late 2003 and there was still culture shock for me. Red Green and Air Farce helped sooooo much. Kids in the Hall hits differently once you get familiar with Toronto's day to day happenings. I'm impressed at the small references that they work in. Even the new season had some gems.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Right? I moved here from the US in late 2003 and there was still culture shock for me. Red Green and Air Farce helped sooooo much. Kids in the Hall hits differently once you get familiar with Toronto's day to day happenings. I'm impressed at the small references that they work in. Even the new season had some gems.

I still have to catch up with that season.

In any other context, I hate laugh tracks, but the live studio audience ones they had for the original KITH just made the show perfect. It's very weird watching it without one.

And yet I'll watch I Think You Should Leave and that would die with a laugh track.

Anyway, keep your stick on the ice.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I thought the new season would be cringe but it might be the best they've done.

I saw Duct Tape Forever in a mall theater lol

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The crazy thing about modern boomers being affronted by technology is that computers were everywhere when they were 30. There's no actual "old' people still alive (and going to the shops) anymore.

I presume most of the self check complainers have children who won't talk to them so they have to annoy the poor bastard ringing up the groceries. Me? I like getting 5 of any vegetable for the price of 3

Also, no "Major Dad" rememberers here??

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

The crazy thing about modern boomers being affronted by technology is that computers were everywhere when they were 30. There's no actual "old' people still alive (and going to the shops) anymore.

I presume most of the self check complainers have children who won't talk to them so they have to annoy the poor bastard ringing up the groceries. Me? I like getting 5 of any vegetable for the price of 3

Also, no "Major Dad" rememberers here??

Oh, I very much remember Major Dad. Gunny!

Also, I think of that show every drat time I see Gerald Mcrainey in literally anything. Deadwood? "Hey look! Major Dad is Hearst!". House of Cards? "Oooooh, Frank is meeting with Major Dad...". The Neverending Story? "Ewww... Major Dad just drank 3 raw eggs while he dismissed whatever Bastien was saying about his mom."

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh, I very much remember Major Dad. Gunny!

Also, I think of that show every drat time I see Gerald Mcrainey in literally anything. Deadwood? "Hey look! Major Dad is Hearst!". House of Cards? "Oooooh, Frank is meeting with Major Dad...". The Neverending Story? "Ewww... Major Dad just drank 3 raw eggs while he dismissed whatever Bastien was saying about his mom."

I literally did the same thing when I saw him on Deadwood. Major Dad is a villain! And I was pleasantly surprised that an 90s sitcom star had such acting chops.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Why are you calling the redneck dude from Simon and Simon Major Dad?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Major Dad was the exact opposite of who I was when that show was out. I did however think Delta Burke was hot, even with the extra pounds.

btw if you are not watching Jean Smart in Hacks on HBO you are missing out.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bonzo posted:

Major Dad was the exact opposite of who I was when that show was out. I did however think Delta Burke was hot, even with the extra pounds.

btw if you are not watching Jean Smart in Hacks on HBO you are missing out.

And I just cancelled Crave :negative:

Seconding the Delta Burke feelings :swoon:

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
The self checkouts were great until the old people stopped being afraid of them and Kroger decided one 19 year old could cover twelv of them.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Nothing in this article shocked me because of Richard.

quote:

Men’s Hygiene Is in a Very Sorry State
Reddit has disabused me of any notion that men know how to clean themselves.
By Farhad Manjoo
May 17, 20245:40 AM

This is part of r/Farhad, in which Slate contributor Farhad Manjoo delves into the Reddit communities that bring him peculiar joy.

Here’s a terrible fact I wish I could unlearn: Countless men—otherwise respectable husbands and fathers and brothers and boyfriends, perhaps even yours—never bother to wash between the cheeks when they bathe.

And that’s if they get around to bathing at all—plenty of men rarely do. Neither are men cleaning up when they use the toilet: not the seat, not the floor, not where the sun don’t shine. Many men aren’t brushing their teeth. They’re wearing dirty clothes, sleeping on dirty sheets, and eating from dirty dishes. Some men are peeing in the sink. More than you’d guess are making GBS threads in the shower.

As a guy who long ago fell in with the cult of the Japanese washlet bidet, I’ll concede that my expectations of the next fella’s nethers may once have been a tad overrosy. Not anymore. Not after my years on Reddit.

In this column, r/Farhad, I, Farhad, explore the bottomless curiosities of the internet’s most freewheeling discussion site. One of my favorite things about Reddit is the way it illuminates latent social phenomena; because it’s pseudonymous, allowing people to post about delicate problems from behind the veil of a clever username, Reddit is terrific at helping people navigate the private dramas they may have trouble talking about with folks in real life.

These issues are often quite serious—things like illness, addiction, or abuse. But Reddit also reveals a lot about your fellow humans that you’d rather not know. On no issue have I felt this more powerfully than on the state of men’s hygiene. Reddit reliably undermines even my lowest expectations of my fellow dudes’ cleanliness: However gross I thought men were yesterday, today, on Reddit I’m bound to find they’re even worse.

Sure, #NotAllMen! But #NotJustAFewMen either. What first clued me in to the remarkable frequency with which complaints about men’s cleanliness appear on Reddit was repeatedly encountering one of the most awfully evocative euphemisms in the English language: skid mark.

I’d wager that outside the grounds crew of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, nowhere is the problem of what to do about grown men’s skid marks discussed more often and in as much detail as on Reddit.

“My husband is one of those men who has skid marks” in his underwear, wrote a 25-year-old woman last November about her 25-year-old husband. Not just his underwear; on a couple of occasions he’d also left stains on the bed and the couch, but he still bristled at her restricting his “freedom to sit in his underwear on the couch or other furniture.”

Though she offered him a range of ideas for addressing the issue—wiping better, washing better, seeing a doctor—he treated the whole thing as a nonproblem, insisting she was being overbearing.

Another woman, 29, wrote last month that after moving in with her 33-year-old boyfriend and baby daddy, she realized he didn’t brush his teeth and showered so infrequently that he somehow smelled like cat food. These things she could almost live with; she didn’t even really mind the stains she found in his underwear and in his pants.

“But a skid mark on THE BED?!?!” she wrote. “Multiple times I have gone to make the bed and notice a nice smear of poo poo on his side.” She’s raised the problem with him several times, but “it has continued to happen again.”

Though it did them little good, these women at least raised the problem with their partners; lots of women are so flummoxed by their partners’ dirty drawers that their main question for Redditors is whether to bring up the issue at all. One woman, who found three different brown stains after her boyfriend sat on her sheets and towels, wondered, “How do I talk to him about this without embarrassing him?” Another woman wrote that over 15 years of sexual activity, she’d had “three partners leave skidmarks on the bed on four separate occasions.” She was too stunned and grossed-out to broach the issue—all she could do was ask herself: “What is going on here? Why is this happening with such frequency (meaning ever)? Is this a wiping problem? Is this a leakage problem?”

There are two common reactions from Redditors to questions like these. One is wounded shock—many react to complaints about other men’s filth with indignation that men aren’t being given the benefit of the doubt (maybe he “trusted a fart he shouldn’t have”!) or that all men might be tarred with the same soiled brush (“men have a lot to answer for … but do we really need to be up in their faces about their f’ing underwear and blanket statements about ‘all men’ ”?). Considering how common these stories are, though, men ought to can the outrage. A former assistant at a urology office said on TikTok last year that “seven times out of 10,” men who visited her office left a “poop stain” on the exam bed; if those numbers are anything close to reality, it seems fairer to assume that a random man’s skivvies are closer to brown.

Some Reddit posts about men’s hygiene do elicit deeper introspection over the state of men, including getting at the fundamental question: What is it about how men are reared and socialized that they are going out into the world believing that it’s OK to be skidding wherever one sits?

One theory is that men just aren’t taught about the finer points of hygiene—that because cleanliness is dismissed as a feminine trait, parents give boys only the barest instruction in why and how to clean.

“My husband only just started washing his butt with soap!” a woman posted in 2022. She explained, “His parents just told him to get in the shower and shampoo his hair and rub soap on his body with a sponge.”

Another, less kind suggestion is that many men simply think that keeping clean, especially keeping their butts clean, is a little gay. But I’m skeptical that anyone truly believes this in 2024. Although there have been some anonymous viral Reddit posts arguing that wiping isn’t for “real men,” they sure seem like trolls to me.
Advertisement

Still, Reddit has cautioned me never to overestimate the next guy’s commitment to sparkling underwear. Let me leave you, then, with a word from the comedian Redd Foxx, who once made an album to deal with just this very specific problem. He called it You Gotta Wash Your rear end.

“The toughest thing in the world is to have to turn to your mate one night and say, ‘You’ve got to wash your rear end!’ ” Foxx joked. “Knowing how difficult it is, I said it for you, in this album.”

And I’ll say it for you, in this article. I’m begging you. Your partner is begging you. Reddit is begging you. I promise you, fellas, it’s not gonna hurt. You might even like it. Just wash your rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

Nothing in this article shocked me because of Richard.

Holy loving christ. I mean, I've heard about this before, but it's insane to me that it's so prevalent.

I'm renting right now, but we just bought a house and we're moving literally a month from today, and I can't wait to get a Tushy (or equivalent) to install. I wanted to install it here, but it's not quite the right size toilet.

I want to be cleaner, and can't fathom a guy or person who just doesn't care.