Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I think you're all missing the important feature of the Star Wars Emperor recovering from his wounds if defeated in battle and the game declaring "Somehow, Palpatine has returned."

Oh man I can hear the TW Narrator saying it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Wookies, my Lord,

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Droid Army has started up their main power generators my Lord, their attack will surely come soon!

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 09:38 on May 18, 2024

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Honestly all this talk about Total War Star Wars reminds me of Star Wars Rebellion, which was not a great game but had so many little moments of charm in it. For those not in the know there was only two factions, Empire versus Rebels and the game was all about subverting planets to your side and making use of their resources to build up your forces so you could crush the other player. You could recruit a large cast of characters from the setting and use them to try to undermine one another, go on missions to influence planets to aid you, or lead your different armed forces such as fleets or armies and so forth. The Empire started strong but lacked any information about where the Rebels were and the Rebels were a lot more weak and had to hide their headquarters from the Empire (and you could move it around) while knowing exactly where the Empire capital was and being able to send agents there to mess with it from the get-go (risky as that was). Both sides had lots of scouting and spy troops used to try to track what the other was up to and if the Empire got far enough along in their research and production they could start building the Death Star so the Rebels player wanted to get their poo poo together quickly to make sure they were on top of figuring out where those were.

The combat in the game was extremely simple and not very engaging and the statecraft stuff wasn't particularly impressive but there was something genuinely fun about the cat and mouse aspect of the game if you played with a friend, and you could end up in situations where random events made certain agents force sensitive and you could train up some weird Wookiepedia entry dude up to be a Jedi (or at least a less poo poo agent). It hasn't aged well either but I had loads of great games against my brother back in the day on LAN poo poo-talking each other from across the room.

They definitely wouldn't make a Star Wars game like that again, which is a goddamn shame.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

they did, there’s a remake. it’s just a boardgame

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I feel like you need the video game part for the joy of laser beaming a planet to tiny rocks.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Honestly all this talk about Total War Star Wars reminds me of Star Wars Rebellion, which was not a great game but had so many little moments of charm in it. For those not in the know there was only two factions, Empire versus Rebels and the game was all about subverting planets to your side and making use of their resources to build up your forces so you could crush the other player. You could recruit a large cast of characters from the setting and use them to try to undermine one another, go on missions to influence planets to aid you, or lead your different armed forces such as fleets or armies and so forth. The Empire started strong but lacked any information about where the Rebels were and the Rebels were a lot more weak and had to hide their headquarters from the Empire (and you could move it around) while knowing exactly where the Empire capital was and being able to send agents there to mess with it from the get-go (risky as that was). Both sides had lots of scouting and spy troops used to try to track what the other was up to and if the Empire got far enough along in their research and production they could start building the Death Star so the Rebels player wanted to get their poo poo together quickly to make sure they were on top of figuring out where those were.

The combat in the game was extremely simple and not very engaging and the statecraft stuff wasn't particularly impressive but there was something genuinely fun about the cat and mouse aspect of the game if you played with a friend, and you could end up in situations where random events made certain agents force sensitive and you could train up some weird Wookiepedia entry dude up to be a Jedi (or at least a less poo poo agent). It hasn't aged well either but I had loads of great games against my brother back in the day on LAN poo poo-talking each other from across the room.

They definitely wouldn't make a Star Wars game like that again, which is a goddamn shame.

It's not a video game, but they did actually make a board game using same name and same concept and it's really fun: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/187645/star-wars-rebellion

e: actually now that I think about it, Terra Invicta is extremely close to being a spiritual successor to Rebellion... not perhaps the best advert for that game style.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 10:01 on May 18, 2024

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

TheLastRoboKy posted:

yeah - Rebellion might not be the greatest, but the asymmetry of how it's designed is still very novel for a 4X. does seem like it's a design pattern that needs a strongly defined narrative space to place it inside though, and the modern 4X game tendency to try being all things to all people doesn't work with that.

I've often wondered how it would go if the same broad ideas were applied to a Battlestar Galactica game

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
all orks are force sensitive. red lightsabers go faster.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
This is the Jedi Hewer

It hews the jedi

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
nurgle post-rework is still the weakest faction in the game. weaker than tomb kings lmbo

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
They're a different kind of fun, you really have to be up for anvil on anvil grinding and a lot of system gaming.

Nurgle has access to a cheap and big stream spell to spam from level 1 on most lords and heroes and their gimmick is ready access to healing and regeneration as well as the plague system. They also have annoying and weaker mechanics but Nurgle easily shoots for middle of the pack.

Considering the sheer power creep of WH3 I do wonder what the curve is like now. I can see Nurgle as weak because Khorne is right over there easily in the top 5.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Cranappleberry posted:

nurgle post-rework is still the weakest faction in the game. weaker than tomb kings lmbo

I don't know, I feel like they are fine in campaign and do well in MP. When I think of weak factions I think of Coast. Heck even the Counts are more brought up by hero/lord spam than anything else, they have a weird roster that needs a bit of a balance pass. The AI does well with them early game because it ignores upkeep and gets so many bonuses. Tomb Kings are just more arbitrarily restricted by the army cap than anything else, once you get 2nd armies going they are good to go. I think they need another unit pack at some point but that's probably coming with Nagash.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Nurgle isn't weak, it's just slow to get going. Once you've got your "production lines" set up, you become unstoppable. Tamurkhan is easily one of the most powerful campaigns right now. Top 3 if not number 1. The regular units are tough as nails, and you get you silly levels of unkillable once you're fielding chosen and rot knights + healing.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah in Campaign at least he's a loving titan.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I am gonna say this is true

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j20tIzAAthQ

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Speak of the devil, someone just put out a good explanation of how the Nurgle buildings and economy works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uC_vhq8gRI

TLDR: Early game can be tricky if you take losses in either units or land, but if you survive the first 10-ish turns, you snowball into an unstoppable tide of death.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Forwind's stuff can be decent at times but his insistence on saying "Halberd" weird casts shadows of doubt over all his opinions IMO. Go to any of his Empire stuff and tell me I'm wrong lol

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's so funny when lords like Skarbrand beg for peace lol

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I peace'd-out a few months after the big 2.0 patch or whatever it was that changed a bunch of stuff, where is the pendulum currently between "the game is good and CA charge a bit much but whatever" and "the game is unplayably unbalanced and CA are ripping us off again"?

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
Who likes leaks and rumors?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

all of this is true

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

why wouldn't they use the new engine for the 40k and star wars games

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
All 3 (ww1, 40k, star wars) will use a new engine according to the "leaks", the new engine is only part of the reason the ww1 is currently turbofucked.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

rideANDxORdie posted:

Forwind's stuff can be decent at times but his insistence on saying "Halberd" weird casts shadows of doubt over all his opinions IMO. Go to any of his Empire stuff and tell me I'm wrong lol

How are you supposed to pronounce it?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dramicus posted:

How are you supposed to pronounce it?

Not like halabadeer or halbard!! lol I just found a clip.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

SHISHKABOB posted:

Not like halabadeer or halbard!! lol I just found a clip.

Oh, ok. I thought they might have been insisting on a French pronunciation like "hal-bear-dee-ayy" or something silly like that.

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

If there is a Star Wars total war game one of the followers better be a Jizz-Wailer

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The atrocious reception of the Warhammer 2 trailer and poor sales of the game. :thunk:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Doomykins posted:

The atrocious reception of the Warhammer 2 trailer and poor sales of the game. :thunk:

Also, there's also no loving way 40k is close to being done. Totally impossible that CA wouldn't do a 3-game approach to 40k, it would be insane not to.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I could see for example CA deciding to stick to less expensive DLCs and canceling future race packs like DoW (hence us getting Slayer pirates, new Marienburg models for the Landship, etc. out of nowhere) but the idea that they're only going to give the game a year and a half of additional support when they have no other viable products lol Also saying that 40k would be a testing ground for Star Wars is even more bizarre; Star Wars may be a bigger launch but a well done 40k title could sustain them for another decade.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Dramicus posted:

Also, there's also no loving way 40k is close to being done. Totally impossible that CA wouldn't do a 3-game approach to 40k, it would be insane not to.

CA will make 40k. it will follow the same 3 game release model. and they will repeat and magnify all of the problems they have had with Warhammer 1/2/3 with early forks all over again, losing features, reintroducing bugs, etc. learning nothing from their time with Warhammer.

The best engine fork, Three Kingdoms, will never be used in another game

this is what the future tells me

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

what op race packs would 40K have

eldar with even more long range guns?!?!?!

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Dramicus posted:

The transitions from TW:Warhammer 1 to TW:Warhammer 2 and from TW:Warhammer 2 to TW:Warhammer 3 were such massive clusterfucks that they tanked CA reputation each time and, more importantly, were probably massively internally costly, due to the team having to spend close to a year of dev-time trying to make things from previous game work with the new one, that I absolutely believe CA decided they won't do a 3-game approach ever again.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Flavahbeast posted:

why wouldn't they use the new engine for the 40k and star wars games
Risk. The current engine is a known quantity the team has tons of experience with and it's not guaranteed the new one will be better.

Same reason the massively successively Helldivers 2 was made using the same engine, unsupported by its creator since 2016, as Helldivers 1.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Lt. Lizard posted:

The transitions from TW:Warhammer 1 to TW:Warhammer 2 and from TW:Warhammer 2 to TW:Warhammer 3 were such massive clusterfucks that they tanked CA reputation each time and, more importantly, were probably massively internally costly, due to the team having to spend close to a year of dev-time trying to make things from previous game work with the new one, that I absolutely believe CA decided they won't do a 3-game approach ever again.

Counterpoint, they get to charge 80 bucks 3 times.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

CA won't do a 3 game approach with 40k, they'll do a 40k game then they'll do a horus heresy/30k game nobody asked for then they'll do another 40k game that doesn't tie in at all with the original and THEN they'll do the three game thing but rebranded as standalone expansion packs

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Now they've got proof that people will stick around to play KARL FRANZ SUMMON THE ELECTOR COUNTS for ten years there's absolutely no reason for them not to commit fully to the Paradox style development model - make one game and just roll out DLC until people stop buying it.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Dramicus posted:

Counterpoint, they get to charge 80 bucks 3 times.

Spending the full 10+ years in the Warhammer 2 mode, where they release a 15-20-25-30 bucks DLC that usually tops the Steam "Top Seller" chart every 3 months would ultimately net them more money, than having to restart the whole process and spend year(s) without a major DLC twice so that they can charge 80 bucks two more times. And that's with ignoring the dev cost of recreating and unfucking the same game 3 times.

If every Warhammer 3 faction and feature was delivered as a bunch of DLCs for Warhammer 2 it would be both more profitable and less damaging to CA reputation than what ultimately happened with Warhammer 3 (at the very least, you would have 7 major faction DLCs costing 20-30 bucks each, so they would get to charge anywhere from 140 to 210 bucks for "Warhammer 3" instead of 80 :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

then they'll do a horus heresy/30k game nobody asked for
Wrong. I'm asking for it.