Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that class is cool as gently caress and i will eventually have one, but i already own a drz400sm so it'd be pretty fuckin' redundant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Jonny 290 posted:

that class is cool as gently caress and i will eventually have one, but i already own a drz400sm so it'd be pretty fuckin' redundant
oh right i forgot you're a Real Motorcycle Boy

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

As long as you are riding your grey area mobility device in a safe manner and not being a jackhole, 2 wheels are always better than 4.

It’s insane that we regulate where electric scooters can go but cars are allowed to drive and injure people in those areas usually no problem.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

I splurged for a Litelock that is super hefty, and I got a chain that plugs in the cafe lock too which probably wouldn’t stop someone with any tools but it was like $30 and may discourage someone.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

I always say a good insurance policy beats a good lock any day, but Kryptonite makes a beefy U lock that would be hard to get through without a battery powered grinder.
The only thing that reliably defeats angle grinders is ceramic coatings designed to ablate the discs.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Throwing in my $0.02:

I'm quite happy with my Aventon pace 500.2 (thanks to the goons who suggested it! :tipshat:), if you're up for something that looks more like a normal bike. I think they stopped selling them for some other similar (more featured(?) more expensive) models, but some places still have them for $1000.

Downside is that it doesn't come with a whole lot. When I got mine, it came with a pretty nice discount on accessories, which I used to get a rear rack and a kryptonite chain. Also it's kinda big -- 27.5" wheels, though I think with the battery it only weighs 52 lbs, on the lighter side of cheap e-bikes.

Having a front/rear rack standard on the e1.2 is certainly a boon. I still can't find a front rack that fits the Pace 500.2, lol. Your integrated tail light is also in a much better position than the Pace -- mine are on seat stays, which get obscured by any panniers. I have a third party blinker just to increase my visibility.

But if you're looking to exercise more, it might not be a bad idea to consider options with a larger wheel size? Bike scientists stop me if I'm mistaken, but I think larger wheels are supposed to be a bit more efficient for pedaling a heavy bike with the assistance off and maintaining speed.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Appoda posted:

But if you're looking to exercise more, it might not be a bad idea to consider options with a larger wheel size? Bike scientists stop me if I'm mistaken, but I think larger wheels are supposed to be a bit more efficient for pedaling a heavy bike with the assistance off and maintaining speed.

It doesn’t matter that much compared to the tire compound and design. And the thing you’ll notice the most when unpowered is the weight.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

TenementFunster posted:

the insurance policy that you can get through kryponite is a good back-up
I still haven't heard of anyone getting a payout from that, but I'd love to hear that something has changed.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Appoda posted:

Throwing in my $0.02:

I'm quite happy with my Aventon pace 500.2 (thanks to the goons who suggested it! :tipshat:), if you're up for something that looks more like a normal bike. I think they stopped selling them for some other similar (more featured(?) more expensive) models, but some places still have them for $1000.

Downside is that it doesn't come with a whole lot. When I got mine, it came with a pretty nice discount on accessories, which I used to get a rear rack and a kryptonite chain. Also it's kinda big -- 27.5" wheels, though I think with the battery it only weighs 52 lbs, on the lighter side of cheap e-bikes.

My goon, have I got news for you: This amazon basket fits on a Pace 500.2 with only minor modification.

(Pictured with NIST standard bicycle cargo.)
I had to replace the bracket that supports it from the bottom of the basket to the fender bolt becuse the included one was not long enough, but it was easy to make something out of 1"x1/8" aluminum stock from the hardware store. It's held up well to almost two years of use and at least two crashes. Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I bought a Litelok X1 which supposedly the ceramic layer on it melts your typical angle grinder blade, if the reviews and videos are to be believed. It's not realistic to be grinder-proof but making it take minutes and multiple blades instead of seconds feels like a good inconvenience.

It's basically the same size and only a hair heavier than my ancient (20+ yr) classic Kryptonite U-lock, but surely more secure. It's on top of the cafe lock and chain, which is for more casual situations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

CopperHound posted:

I still haven't heard of anyone getting a payout from that, but I'd love to hear that something has changed.
u gotta buy the policy. i’ve never had a u-lock be defeated, but for $40 policy on a $3000 bike, ill try it.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Just remember that you need to give them the remains of the destroyed lock, so hope that if your bike ever gets stolen you find your ulock in 2 pieces on the ground

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
hopefully i never get ripped off by a tweaker with a penchant for cleanliness

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i went ahead and ordered the e1.2, will be ready for pickup tomorrow!

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

monsterzero posted:

My goon, have I got news for you: This amazon basket fits on a Pace 500.2 with only minor modification.

(Pictured with NIST standard bicycle cargo.)
I had to replace the bracket that supports it from the bottom of the basket to the fender bolt becuse the included one was not long enough, but it was easy to make something out of 1"x1/8" aluminum stock from the hardware store. It's held up well to almost two years of use and at least two crashes. Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

:eyepop:

Very nice! I like your fenders, too. It's been raining a lot, maybe I should get some fenders...

Anyways, I'm certainly considering this. I know the bolt you're talking about -- I'm not very handy but the last one I bought/sent back looked like it might've worked if I had a much longer bolt to get through the fork. I thought about going to a hardware store and seeing if I could find the right parts it was lacking but it's been busy over here and I decided I'd rather start over.

My question is, does all the weight sit on the bolt through the front of the fork? The amazon link shows clamps for the forks for this bit to sit on, but seems like you've omitted it or you've got a hole there that I can't see in the image.

Jonny 290 posted:

:cool:

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Appoda posted:

:eyepop:

Very nice! I like your fenders, too. It's been raining a lot, maybe I should get some fenders...

Anyways, I'm certainly considering this. I know the bolt you're talking about -- I'm not very handy but the last one I bought/sent back looked like it might've worked if I had a much longer bolt to get through the fork. I thought about going to a hardware store and seeing if I could find the right parts it was lacking but it's been busy over here and I decided I'd rather start over.

My question is, does all the weight sit on the bolt through the front of the fork? The amazon link shows clamps for the forks for this bit to sit on, but seems like you've omitted it or you've got a hole there that I can't see in the image.

:cool:

Yep, the load is in-column and supported by the two bosses on the lower forks. Crossing my fingers for you because I don't think every Pace had them. IIRC, there were already machine screws installed there but I opted for longer ones because the vertical supports are kind of thick at the eye. I also had to bend the supports slightly make up for the slack that would have been in the clamp style brackets which I did not use.

If you're going to install fenders, I would do that at the same time. You might also need to tap the home-made bracket instead of running a nut on the underside if you're going to be using a fender because access will be difficult.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Jonny 290 posted:

this mf about to go down the cherry creek trail at 15.01mph

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
E-bikes have been out for a while now. In trying to think ahead when an e-bike battery dies.

I am wondering if I'm overthinking batteries in bicycle frames, like the worry that a bike company goes belly-up or discontinues a bike and now you can't get battery replacements and a broken battery turns into a broken ebike. Is this a reasonable/rational fear or am I overthinking the state of the maturity of the ebike market?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I think you should be more worried about what happens to the battery itself when it dies..

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

having trouble figuring out what to buy. budget max 1k, i'm fine buying used. i'm only going to use this for occasional pleasure and not to commute. i'm 6'3" if that changes anything.

all I know at this point is that the vanmoofs look cool and have anti theft features, but apparently they break a lot? idk

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Chillyrabbit posted:

E-bikes have been out for a while now. In trying to think ahead when an e-bike battery dies.

I am wondering if I'm overthinking batteries in bicycle frames, like the worry that a bike company goes belly-up or discontinues a bike and now you can't get battery replacements and a broken battery turns into a broken ebike. Is this a reasonable/rational fear or am I overthinking the state of the maturity of the ebike market?

That's why i bought a second battery for mine, i swap them every 100 miles to get nice even slow wear on them to hopefully let them last a long time. Nice thing about the current generation of batteries is that they're all essentially big bundles of 18650s - when the batteries eventually give up the ghost years from now, i plan to just get them rebuilt with fresh cells

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

having trouble figuring out what to buy. budget max 1k, i'm fine buying used. i'm only going to use this for occasional pleasure and not to commute. i'm 6'3" if that changes anything.

all I know at this point is that the vanmoofs look cool and have anti theft features, but apparently they break a lot? idk

I think I heard some poo poo about van moof, but don't remember specifics. Rei has a cargo ebike and a city ebike on sale for $1k for the next week.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Chillyrabbit posted:

The good news is that a lot of these smaller companies don't actually do in house physical product design. There are battery housings that are used by several brands.

Try looking up 'reenton' on Ali express. If you see your battery, you will probably be able to find one in the future. Usually under a house brand of some sort.

Bafang branded hardware like on the REI bikes are generally okay for replacements too.

I'm skipping over Bosch because I assume you're not paying for Bosch if you're asking this question.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 20, 2024

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

in a well actually posted:

I think I heard some poo poo about van moof, but don't remember specifics.

They went bankrupt in August and got bought out. New owners are planning to keep the servers up, but existing warranties got broken by the sale.
I think I’d exercise high caution unless you knew exactly who would be servicing the bike.

https://archive.is/2024.01.17-22223...nkrupt-690945a7

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I was planning to jump on the train at the nearest station to REI and get home that way, but i had so much fun getting there i just said "hey siri navigate me home via trails" and rode the drat thing all the way to my doorstep. I LOOOOOVE IIIIIIT. i havent been on a bicycle in seven years and im already hooked.

and those hydro brakes are no joke, for real

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Jonny 290 posted:

I was planning to jump on the train at the nearest station to REI and get home that way, but i had so much fun getting there i just said "hey siri navigate me home via trails" and rode the drat thing all the way to my doorstep. I LOOOOOVE IIIIIIT. i havent been on a bicycle in seven years and im already hooked.

That's a handsome bicycle.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

CopperHound posted:

The good news is that a lot of these smaller companies don't actually do in house physical product design. There are battery housings that are used by several brands.

Try looking up 'reenton' on Ali express. If you see your battery, you will probably be able to find one in the future. Usually under a house brand of some sort.

Bafang branded hardware like on the REI bikes are generally okay for replacements too.

I'm skipping over Bosch because I assume you're not paying for Bosch if you're asking this question.

I don't know about Bosch which is why I caveated about bikes being discontinued. Bosch probably isn't going to vanish but still can I buy a battery for an ebike 10 years ago? or is Bosch so standardized or so giant that they still use old batteries or is it that new ones will always fit even on old ebikes.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Chillyrabbit posted:

My battery from 4 years ago is a lot worse than the replacement I bought 4 months ago, and that’s part of the reason I wanted a name brand system (or one that wouldn’t GAF about using a generic battery)

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Anyone have a vado 4.0? Wondering if it's a true hybrid in can it handle fire roads and mostly flat trails?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

MeatRocket8 posted:

I'm selling a couple expensive ebikes for my uncle. Where's a good place to stash an airtag, just in case they take off during the test ride? Under the saddle might be an obvious place they'd check for one.

So the buyer arrived. But I didn't see his car. He was a very well to do looking guy. When he asked to test ride it. I asked if he'd be okay if he gave me half the money up front so i'd feel comfortable letting him ride it.

He acted surprised and kind of offended. "You think i'm going to steal it??". But he pointed at where his car was and gave me his smartphone to hold, and I went with my instincts and let him ride it. Luckily it worked out and he bought it and paid with crisp hundred dollar bills.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Chillyrabbit posted:

This was part of the reason I didn't mind forking out extra money for a Specialized Vado (and Como). I can get replacement batteries and it's a bike brand that won't go away next week.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Google Butt posted:

Anyone have a vado 4.0? Wondering if it's a true hybrid in can it handle fire roads and mostly flat trails?

I have a Vado 4.0 and would feel perfectly comfortable riding simple trails with it. Nothing some more purposeful tires couldn't fix either way.

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'
Welp, REI stopped selling the charger for the e1.2 right before I could order a backup just in case. Just contacted both Bafang and the actual manufacturer on the label to see if they still sell them, since the latter had an inquiry page up

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Ordered a REI 1.2 during the sale last week. Allegedly it should be here in 2 weeks

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Google Butt posted:

I have a Vado 4 and absolutely. You’ve got mountain bike sized tires (no knobs obv so be careful turning), and plenty of weight to keep things planted. You are in a more relaxed position though so there’s less weight on the front wheel than on a hard rail mtb so again, watch your turning inputs. The farther you stray from pavement the more skillz are required.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Jonny 290 posted:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I would stay away from vanmoof imo. Used to be a better buy if you were somewhere they had one of their stores you could take it in to, but now that their survival is sort of unclear I think it is a bad idea to get something which may/may not have support from the manufacturer in the future given how proprietary a lot of their components are.

I do think going with something which is a bit more normal bike geometry is probably more fun if you are not trying to also run errands with it. I love the REI e1.1 for just doing errands/commuting, but for just riding around my analog road bike is usually more satisfying. So maybe something like the Momentum Voya E+ 3? Some of the Ride1Up stuff looks good as well -- the only issue is price. If you want close to or less than 1k new, it is mostly their single speed stuff, which seems like a limitation. But, depending on the used market, you might be able to find something cheaper.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Second hand bicycles make a lot of sense, as with good servicing and maintenance they really are as good as new.

For ebikes however the battery issue is a big issue - the batteries only last so long and are noticeably less good after a few years. I'm interested if anyone has any experience with second hand ebikes - do you just buy a new battery? Do you try and get one without a battery at all? Or do you just not worry about it?

I've done a bit under 2000 kms total on my ebike and the battery should be good for another 2-3000 kms but it's already noticeably not what it once was.

I am kind of hoping batteries standardise across the industry as this would ultimately solve the problem, but we're not really there yet.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Depending on the price, I wouldn't worry about it. Definitely check the price on a new battery. If they're not readily available but you really want the bike, you could get a bunch of (likely) 18650 cells and rebuild the battery. They look like this inside:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Safety Dance posted:

Depending on the price, I wouldn't worry about it. Definitely check the price on a new battery. If they're not readily available but you really want the bike, you could get a bunch of (likely) 18650 cells and rebuild the battery. They look like this inside:

please do not burn your house down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

word. thanks for the effortpost. I have a very good used market for bikes here (Boston) and it's not an urgent buy, so I'm definitely thinking of waiting for a deal on facebook.