Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Honestly I've been spending less time in the construction queue recently anyways, making bigger macro plan queues then hopping in to tweak or optimize really quick has been working out well for me.

I really don't use the construction window much, I do spend a lot of time with the buildings tab up because it is one of the easier ways of getting a quick overview of which industries are generating a lot of output. But I use auto expand a lot in places where it's a no brainer so after a while the build queue is mostly doing its own thing and I just shove stuff on top depending on either local issues which need solving or larger scale market gluts / shortages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
what IS a good mod for V2?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Before v3 came out I was looking in to it for one last v2 run, seems like the big ones are a battle between HPM vs HFM (I think both based off of the same parent mod?), with TGC being a new up and coming mod that did things differently.

I remember reading through a lot of discussions, and it seemed mostly personal preference. Whatever one I chose between HPM and HFM was heavy in to railroading and messing up some of the core mechanics, but it seems that was what some of the v2 community really wanted.

Could take a gander through here: https://www.reddit.com/r/victoria2/comments/11vq9j2/which_one_of_the_major_victoria_2_overhaul_mods/

but idk I think its a coin flip between HPM, HFM, and TGC to see which one you can stand the most.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Disliking 3 does not mean you only enjoyed the idea of 2, it just means you liked different aspects than what 3 centers on. That being the cookie clicker gameplay. It doesn't really matter if the rest of the game is just a better 2, if the core gameplay is boring tedium to you.
This is not what came up in my discussion with my friends. One of my friends was frustrated that they couldn't force his vassals to unite Italy while he was playing as Austria. He was playing a decentralized Austria (I think he'd released Yugoslavia or something) and wanted to RP an Austria that promoted a subjugated Italian nationalism, and felt the game was lacking because he couldn't do that.

He absolutely loved Victoria 2 where you also can't do that. It was 100% the idea of Victoria 2, and perhaps even the memory of being younger, back in college with fewer responsibilities, playing an obtuse but strangely compelling game all night, that he liked, not the actual experience of Victoria 2.

Though in fairness my other friend who bounced off Victoria 3 much harder might be coming from a perspective closer to what you're describing. But in both cases the issue is not that Victoria 3 doesn't have flaws, it's that Victoria 2's flaws were entirely overlooked. I'm pretty sure that at this point in their lives if they sat down with Victoria 2 for the first time they'd think it was janky garbage.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

IME a ton of people that are diehard v2 > v3 ppl never played v2 when it was in a relatively similar spot devtime wise as v3 is now. v2 without expansions was /rough/. 1.0/1.1 were barely even playable to a much worse degree than v3 was. Not to say there's no value in a nice complete 1.0 product from v3 or that there arent flaws or missteps or whatever, just that v2 + a decade of consistent modbase building was always gonna look more polished than a fresh pdox title, much less one that actually tried new things.
Honestly, Victoria 3 at release was a better game than Victoria 2 ever was. I'm saying that as someone who loved Victoria 2. I'm honest with myself though- I loved the idea of Victoria 2. Or more accurately the idea of Victoria. It helps that I started with Victoria 1 and so I only ever saw Victoria 2 as a slightly better implementation of a concept I fell in love with in the original game. My friends all started with Victoria 2.

For me, neither of the other Victoria games came anywhere near Victoria 3 in terms of being historical materialism simulators, while at the same time being a functional game with meaningful player imput. Victoria 3 is, from its foundation, the best manifestation of that ideal game yet.

There's obviously a ton of room for improvement, but it has everything that made the past games appealing, and at the same time is far more functional than they ever were.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
One thing I'm hoping for with the Spheres DLC is a "peaceful" way to acquire more resources. Sphering countries in Vicky 2 was annoying because of how the minigame worked, but the concept itself was neat.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice
I like V3 quite a bit, but it does feel weird to me I can farm most of the construction sector out with laissez faire selected but I still get to micromanage factory / industry production methods. Those should be managed by capitalists making deeply stupid choices.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

GFM, which is a descendant of HFM.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Is there a V3 thread?

I want to ask if there’s a good tutorial LP. I’m watching Quill18. His videos are fun, but he plays really fast and doesn’t explain everything.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

LLSix posted:

Is there a V3 thread?

I want to ask if there’s a good tutorial LP. I’m watching Quill18. His videos are fun, but he plays really fast and doesn’t explain everything.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3968353&pagenumber=455&perpage=40

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Thanks!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I think I like playing Allies more than one giant superpower like Russia or Germany in HOI4. It's a lot more diplomacy and honestly some of the German focuses are just "press button to annex land".

Of course I may just be biased because I did my first real run as England and Germany broke into a Civil War about a year into WW2 and collapsed, making it easy to start steamrolling lol

idkacat
May 6, 2024

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

tbf i hate that just pressing the multiculturalism button fixed everything instantly, it’s a weird disconnect between the country passing that law and then the people suddenly not being racist. my one major complaint is that it’s too easy to just create a Pretty Good country

Yeah the issue with stuff like that isn’t “wow the game is turning me woke!” It’s how utterly absurd that somehow declaring the UK of GB and Ireland or Algeria as a full department or so on suddenly makes people fine with being conquered and colonized.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread that while EU3 used to have population numbers in the provinces, it doesn't really do anything anymore (because it didn't work right?), and a province's base tax is derived from base tax as a number independent of the population number

but I just checked and it's still there, and something like a Manufactory is even cited as applying a direct positive modifier to population growth

was that earlier post... wrong? I'm not trying to call anyone out here, I'm just trying to learn

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread that while EU3 used to have population numbers in the provinces, it doesn't really do anything anymore (because it didn't work right?), and a province's base tax is derived from base tax as a number independent of the population number

but I just checked and it's still there, and something like a Manufactory is even cited as applying a direct positive modifier to population growth

was that earlier post... wrong? I'm not trying to call anyone out here, I'm just trying to learn

iirc population affected goods produced

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

It affects a few things but has a hard cap on how effective it is - it bumps basically every type of provincial income other than direct tax, and stops contributing towards that after 200k population for versions before patch 3.1 and after ~100k from patch 3.1 onwards.

https://eu3.paradoxwikis.com/Population

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'd have to load up the game to double check, but don't rely on the text in the tooltips, as they most likely aren't fully accurate anyway. I found no difference in the tax formula when comparing a small Spanish province with Constantinople, which is why I said that population seemingly has no impact on tax income. In the production tooltip shown there, it shows that manufacturers have a positive impact on population growth, but it's not showing any impact of population on income. It may be that population affects goods produced, though. And maybe manpower and other misc stuff (in my post about it I only mentioned tax income)

edit: the above wiki page was never updated for the last two expansions and the following patches (not all of which were pushed to steam, even)

edit 2: This page (which is up-to-date) says that manpower is modified by the population units formula which probably wasn't changed since 3.1. Population by itself doesn't seem to have a huge impact though. According to these formulas, a 500,000 population province will have 70% more manpower than a 4,000 population province with the same base tax.

Base tax definitely seems completely unaffected by population, and population doesn't appear to apply in any form to the formulas for monthly or yearly taxes, despite what the population tooltip says.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 19, 2024

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Im going to try hoi4 again. Is there any DLC i need before i give it a shot, and if i dont hate it after a few hours what else is good to get on sale

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

StashAugustine posted:

Im going to try hoi4 again. Is there any DLC i need before i give it a shot, and if i dont hate it after a few hours what else is good to get on sale

I asked this a couple of pages ago and I think it's Man the Guns and No Step Back that are the big ones, and if you don't hate it, all the others are mostly country-focused, so you can pick whatever you're playing, such as Arms Against Tyranny for Scandinavian countries or Trial of Allegiance for South American countries.

alternatively, I think the big mods, at least Black ICE for sure, don't really need any DLCs at all so you can overhaul your game without any of it so long as you trust modders to provide your country-specific focus trees for you

(as an general aside, I'm not really sure I like this model of country-focused DLC packs because "buy it when you're going to play the country that the DLC improves" means you may well have to buy it when it's NOT on sale, and "buy it when it's on sale, just in case" means you're just blowing cash, which means the third way is "when it's on sale, make a commitment to buy it, and play the game and the country then" - but I don't really know how else DLCs can/should be structured given that Paradox presumably doesn't want to make them mandatory)

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Man the Guns and No Step Back for sure, then maybe Arms Against Tyranny for the international market and military industrial organizations

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i decided to pick up the sub for a month just to check, played communist yugoslavia until too late at night, and got screwed over when greece decided to invade my allies in albania, thus accidentally putting me on the wrong side of ww2

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Is there any technique, setting, or mod for making changing ships around in HOI4 not be a gigantic pain in the rear end? Tanks and planes are fine but every time I unlock a more advanced hull for my boats I just let out a heavy sigh.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
If I get a new hull tech I just build new ships using that hull and add them to my existing strike forces. Ships generally take a long time to build, so it's not a big deal.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Gort posted:

If I get a new hull tech I just build new ships using that hull and add them to my existing strike forces. Ships generally take a long time to build, so it's not a big deal.

It's less of a matter of game time and more of UI; if i get a new cruiser shell then I have to replicate the settings of the spotter and screen cruisers into new units, then drag them into place below the existing ships so that the docks will drop into the right slots when it is complete. It's not that big of a deal, it's just annoying to do every time I want to upgrade a ship, especially for universal things like AA guns.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's less of a matter of game time and more of UI; if i get a new cruiser shell then I have to replicate the settings of the spotter and screen cruisers into new units, then drag them into place below the existing ships so that the docks will drop into the right slots when it is complete. It's not that big of a deal, it's just annoying to do every time I want to upgrade a ship, especially for universal things like AA guns.

I'm wondering why you would ever have your spotter ships be anything but the 1936 cruiser hull

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Nicodemus Dumps posted:

I'm wondering why you would ever have your spotter ships be anything but the 1936 cruiser hull

Fair point, but I do upgrade things like the AA, engines, radar, and floatplanes which still requires you to play the drag and drop shuffle in the production queue each time.

E. Tried DLC Finland and they are a lot of fun, although I got my rear end handed to me in two sequential winter wars and had to reset. You feel like you are constantly *just* on the cusp of making it. This time around I'm trying the "Well we don't have men but we can make a shitload of artillery" method, we'll see how it works out.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 21, 2024

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I think there's a "auto upgrade" function in the desginer for ships, but I don't know if you want to enjoy the mechanic of fleet refits, or as mentioned taking forever to build new ships.

HoI4 navy does tend to come down to naval bombers, submarines, or just stealing peoples fleets after you beat them, which is a great feature but also means if you beat any of the naval powers you basically have a fleet you can use to get far enough to steal the next big one. A kirby fleet, if you will.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's now July 1940 in my game of Arsenal of Democracy, as the UK

I didn't land any troops in the European mainland at all to help France, to guarantee that they would fall (and they did, roughly on-schedule), though I did counter-invade Norway and completely destroyed, by my count, four German divisions. The AI however is smart enough to try again, so after I left, they landed troops there again. I've decided to let that lie and allow Norway to fall since I've already made a completely clean evacuation otherwise.

On the naval front, I've suffered a couple of lost convoys, but I've been able to sink at least two German sub units in the Atlantic and damaged some others, and I haven't seen any sub attacks in a couple of months. The Kriegsmarine can win engagements if they send their entire fleet out against me, but I've only had a single CL sunk, though some fleets have been taken out of rotation due to battle damage.

In Asia, I completely pulled out everything except the [immovable] Garrison units in Hong Kong and Singapore. I'm holding a four-province line across Calcutta and behind a river and my long-term plan is to write everything off east of that and just slowly claw my way back when (if) Germany has been finally dealt with.

After Italy joined the war, I immediately moved in to retake occupied Ethiopia. The Italians had nothing in there at all, and it was a simple matter of marching everywhere to liberate it.

In the Mediterranean, I've been able to win every naval engagement I've had with the Italian Navy, and have even sunk a few of their sub units, while my own subs have been hitting their convoys. I'm hoping this is going to matter against their supply to Libya in the long run.

The focal point right now is North Africa: the Italians have something like 30 divisions in the area, and the supply situation there seems to be strong enough that they're able to use them rather well. I need to rush my own corps-sized formations to counter them, because right now I'm outnumbered 2-to-1 at the minimum.

My long-term plan is to do a sort of roughly historical play: win in North Africa, try to take out Italy, maybe detour into Norway, and then Fortress Europe, though I'm not going to invest anything into strategic bombing, preferring TAC and CAS instead. A lot is going to hinge on how well the US and USSR is going to perform.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Arsenal of Democracy AI is really strong, good god. I gave up on my AOD run by about June of 1941 because I was getting straight outplayed: the North Africa front had stalled-out in front of Sidi Barrani, but also the Italians would make amphibious landings anywhere between Haifa to El Alamein - and these were invasions of five divisions a pop, so you couldn't hold them off by just posting a single division on the beach province, and pulling out enough troops to prevent the coastline from being threatened meant that the main front would lack defenders.

___

Instead, I "ran home to momma" and booted up a game of Darkest Hour Light (as close to base HOI2 rules, with just DH's UI/UX improvements like infinite mission times for aircraft).

I used the Sep 1938 start as the UK so I wouldn't have to go through the whole pre-war build up again, but otherwise followed the same playbook of pulling everything out of Asia and prepping to slam into Italy as soon as they entered the war.

In the event, Germany didn't even get to take out France - they conquered the Low Countries but stalled out in front of Paris, and I had to declare war on Italy myself. Ethiopia was again completely abandoned, and this time I was able to concentrate enough forces in North Africa that it was a relatively straightforward drive to Benghazi then Tripoli once the front at Sollum was broken through.

From there, I landed troops at Sardinia, then Sicily, then bisected the Italian boot across Naples and Foggia, and marched up through Rome, meeting the French in the Cisalpine region.

I ran into a bit of trouble when I annexed-and-released Italy and the game couldn't figure out how to trace supplies to my troops on the continent. What I ended up doing was taking Innsbruck from the south, which let me claim it as the UK, and then I made an amphibious assault into Amsterdam and captured a line of provinces roughly east of the Rhine to link up with my armies in Southern Germany. Not only did this restore supply because now I had a UK-owned port province in Amsterdam to feed all of the other UK-owned German provinces, but it cut off just about the entire German army from Berlin.

Once everything west of Essen had been liquidated between the British hammer and the French anvil, the Germans couldn't rustle-up anything larger than a corps, and it was mostly a plodding, unstoppable drive east, made longer by the fact that the Molotov-Ribbentrop Treaty didn't trigger in this playthrough and Germany kept all of pre-war Poland, so I had to go as far as Grodno-Rovno-Lvov.

As I ended today's session, it is now January 1942, and Germany has been completely annexed. Bulgaria is still an active belligerent, but I have to no way of reaching them except through Romania, which is fascist but didn't join the Axis. I expect to need to declare on Romania proactively and then conquer-and-annex the two of them, which shouldn't be too difficult.

However, Japan has also just declared war on the Allies. They've completely conquered mainland China, so that's going to be a giant slog to liberate, but the Royal Navy is strong, and once I wrap up in Europe, I expect to be able to shift all the way to India and begin a long march east.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it is now August 1944 in my game of Darkest Hour Light.

It took those two years and eight months to transport my armies from Europe to India, and then to march from my start line at Calcutta, all across the Chinese mainland.

I encircled and destroyed something like 30-40 Japanese divisions in the Burma region, and after that, they never had enough troops to really form a cohesive line across the front, especially after crossing north from Indochina and into Southern China proper. My enemy was more time and terrain than anything else. A few provinces were tough nuts to crack owing to the catastrophically bad infrastructure, but as soon as I was able to secure some airfields, TAC/CAS death stars* cleared them out right quick.

I've just annexed Mengkukuo, and have secured enough VPs to release Nationalist China, though I'm not going to do that yet because I still need to trace supplies back to India. My next step will be to mass troops on the border with Manchukuo, and then drive to capture it and Korea.

I've also captured the island of Formosa, though the Japanese Navy is putting up a ferocious fight and I've lost a number of ships when I run into a well-put-together IJN carrier fleet. I can definitely out-mass and out-produce them, but they've still got some punch.

___

* as long as you're fighting in a region where there are airfields to base planes from, you don't actually need any clever maneuvers when playing HOI2. Simply attack a province with better-than-even odds, and then send your TAC/CAS on a Ground Attack mission. They'll push your side to win the actual combat, and then while the enemy divisions are retreating, the bombing will cause them to completely evaporate. Do this often enough and the opposition will run out of units, even if all you ever do are head-on attacks, advancing one province at a time.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 10:06 on May 31, 2024

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

gradenko_2000 posted:

* as long as you're fighting in a region where there are airfields to base planes from, you don't actually need any clever maneuvers when playing HOI2. Simply attack a province with better-than-even odds, and then send your TAC/CAS on a Ground Attack mission. They'll push your side to win the actual combat, and then while the enemy divisions are retreating, the bombing will cause them to completely evaporate. Do this often enough and the opposition will run out of units, even if all you ever do are head-on attacks, advancing one province at a time.

Yeah, I believe "CAS deathstars" were one of the things they changed in full-on Darkest Hour.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Lategame Kaiserreich still makes CAS delete entire divisions if they're moving, and they always seem to have more range than my fighters

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

That's a wrap on Hearts of Iron 2 / Darkest Hour Light, with Japan being annexed in October 18, 1945, ending the Axis faction. The cleanup was more annoying than anything else, as small islands like Tinian and Saipan and Truk are considered victory points that I had to conquer, and the naval transport / amphibious assault part of the UI can be tedious.

I've sort of known how to play / beat this game in the many years since HOI2's release, but this was the first time when I really went all the way to take a campaign to its final conclusion (and even then, I still could have gone up against the Soviet Union, though that seemed to be a foregone outcome).

I still want to go back and try to beat Arsenal of Democracy (I wasn't nearly as aggressive as I could have been), as well as take another crack at Hearts of Iron 4, but I am officially marking off this segment as completed in what I am calling The Year of Paradox.

That leaves Imperator: Rome, Europa Universalis, and Crusader Kings left on my list.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

gradenko_2000 posted:

That leaves Imperator: Rome, Europa Universalis, and Crusader Kings left on my list.

Svea Rike 3 done and dusted already?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

THE BAR posted:

The period-appropriate match to doing 1936 - 1945 on HOI 2 would be to do 1399 - 1836 on For the Glory, which was still getting updated as of last year

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

gradenko_2000 posted:

The period-appropriate match to doing 1936 - 1945 on HOI 2 would be to do 1399 - 1836 on For the Glory, which was still getting updated as of last year

Oh that was made by Paradox? Thought it was just published. Congratulations on the HoI2 wrap, and getting through the island scourge. I fear that never gets much better.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003
For the Glory is the AoD/DH of EU2. It's technically developed by a third party but it's just EU2 with QoL tweaks and modern system support.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
92% of people who wanted to try EU2 after EU3 (for example after hearing about how much more "historical" it was) had stopped after discovering that you can't see armies on a political mapmode. For the Glory is made to solve this issue.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

THE BAR posted:

I remember playing the first game as a stupid kid and being incredibly bad at it. :v:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ilitarist posted:

92% of people who wanted to try EU2 after EU3 (for example after hearing about how much more "historical" it was) had stopped after discovering that you can't see armies on a political mapmode. For the Glory is made to solve this issue.

tangentially related, but Johan made a post recently about Project Caesar/EU5 where he says (my paraphrasing) that his game is going to have historical events (I think they call them "situations") because people like having historical events thrust upon them and being forced to deal with it. As in, even if the Ottomans invade Europe at roughly the same year, every time, it still creates compelling gameplay because now it's up to what the player has done in all the years leading up to that, that determines what happens now that that invasion has actually occurred.

I think that's the kind of thing people look for when they want scenarios/mods/game design that's "more historical"

to editorialize further, the extreme of railroading is when you stop the Ottomans but an event snatches that victory away from you anyway, but the other extreme is when everything is just "play it as it lies" which can end up feeling like nothing ever happens if the AI never gets up to feeling like doing anything interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Right, in modern Paradox games historical things are usually either whole-blown systems (and project Caesar situations seem to be this, a set of separate systems) or lower impact events with specific triggering requirements. Like if some country doesn't hate you and historically the was some famous embassy you can get an event about it improving relationships, or some famous person lived in this country at that time so here you are, get 5 prestige. Back in EU2 times these events where game-changing and game-defining and they cared little for conquest. The calendat says you must have a civil war around this time so here we go, doesn't matter what the situation is. This certainly made the history feel impactful and the game educational, but it had obvious issue with lack of historical cause-and-effect.

Mind you, when people were especially nostalgic about it around the time EU3 released, EU3 had almost no historical events outside of something like reformation. Just the generic events and very little content unique to nations, most of the uniqueness came from bonuses from sliders and (later?) from possible decisions.

For the Glory is closer to EU4 philosophy. Its events are not as forced and event triggers mostly replace what special mechanics do in EU4.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 31, 2024