Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

just got back from the last day of the seattle international film festival and i caught two loving great films

didi - an actual good modern coming of age movie. great acting, great writing, and did the impossible of presenting social media screens in a dramatic and interesting way (2008 era myspace, aim, and facebook). and had joan chen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6gve8GtSuU

dragon superman - a hilariously bad 1968 taiwanese film that was just so incredible to watch. i havent laughed so hard ina long while. unfortunately this movie was nearly lost to time and had serious signs of vinegar syndrome and ruined sound, but still incredibly funny. would annihilate the boys on botw (but is probably too old for their tastes).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhSSbhA6v6s

this trailer doesnt do any justice of just how ineptly made this movie was. so much unintentional comedic timing and completely missing scenes/explanations. for example, they put dragon superman in a gas chamber and spend so much time cutting back to him choking and banging on the walls as the rest of the plot progresses and then suddenly he is just out fighting a guy and THEY NEVER EXPLAIN HOW HE GOT OUT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Gutcruncher posted:

I’ve seen apes before and let me tell you the cost of wasted film from all the takes where they start jacking off would be astronomical. It’s why that Louis CK show was canceled after all

Those takes sound like where the money in the project actually is tbh

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Whoever recommended Sugar, thank you. This is rad and 100% my thing

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I'm also enjoying cocaine

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Smells great

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyK5E8JbaC0&t=17s

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Frank Frank posted:

Smells great

Less filling

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Frank Frank posted:

Whoever recommended Sugar, thank you. This is rad and 100% my thing

How far along are you? Colin Ferrell is excellent doing an LA noir style detective, surprised he hadn't done one already.. (Miami Vice doesn't count!)

I liked how they namedropped LA Confidential at one point :haw:

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
About half way through that Star Wars hotel video and it sounds like hell (the hotel, not the video).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

How is there always a further hole in quality of youtube film analysis.

"3 of our Favorite Scenes in The Scorpion King" 11 months ago, 15 million views.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Arc Hammer posted:

Nah you're mixing up two different episodes. There's the one where imposter Obrien gets gunned down at the end despite being just as real as the actual Obrien.

But the actual Obrien is actually Obrien from the future during the episode where he kept trying to stop the station from exploding, so past Obrien died of radiation poisoning and future Obrien took his place when they resolved the time paradox.

That's true, but he's still special like the rest, because he's technically not the real O'Brien. Alternate dimension or timeline, it's all the same.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
ape no film ape

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Hackers film 1995 posted:

dragon superman - a hilariously bad 1968 taiwanese film that was just so incredible to watch. i havent laughed so hard ina long while. unfortunately this movie was nearly lost to time and had serious signs of vinegar syndrome and ruined sound, but still incredibly funny. would annihilate the boys on botw (but is probably too old for their tastes).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhSSbhA6v6s

I don't think the age of this film is why it should be kept from Rich Evans' eyes.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

How is there always a further hole in quality of youtube film analysis.

"3 of our Favorite Scenes in The Scorpion King" 11 months ago, 15 million views.

Very canny to say "3 OF our favorite" instead of just "our 3 favorite" and leave it open for a sequel.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

By the by if anyone wants to know what the best part of Scorpion King is, its a throwaway joke about how this is the finest market outside of Sodom, maybe Gamorrah

Every other part of it is 3/5 sword and sandal forgettable, and features a villain whose super power is "can deflect arrows" and is defeated by being shot by an arrow.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It also has Bernard Hill for some reason.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Barudak posted:

By the by if anyone wants to know what the best part of Scorpion King is, its a throwaway joke about how this is the finest market outside of Sodom, maybe Gamorrah

Every other part of it is 3/5 sword and sandal forgettable, and features a villain whose super power is "can deflect arrows" and is defeated by being shot by an arrow.

Sorry, you're wrong, this is the best part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDaDQtSrdSU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's from The Mummy Returns you cretin

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Arc Hammer posted:

That's from The Mummy Returns you cretin

gently caress!!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

It also has Bernard Hill for some reason.

Gotta do something after giving the performance of your career.

Your curse for this error is to be given this knowledge: They made 4 more Scorpion King films and thought they still had juice in the tank for a big reboot in 2020 that thankfully Covid murdered as far as I can tell

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

priznat posted:

How far along are you? Colin Ferrell is excellent doing an LA noir style detective, surprised he hadn't done one already.. (Miami Vice doesn't count!)

I liked how they namedropped LA Confidential at one point :haw:

2 episodes in and that’s funny - “this reminds me a lot of LA Confidential” was one of my first comments while watching last night

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Frank Frank posted:

2 episodes in and that’s funny - “this reminds me a lot of LA Confidential” was one of my first comments while watching last night

James Cromwell!

drat I should watch LA confidential again, I love that flick.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Still lolling at Disney releasing a Star Wars hotel ad about how you can snitch on Chewie

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Gutcruncher posted:

Still lolling at Disney releasing a Star Wars hotel ad about how you can snitch on Chewie

:lmao:

Every kid’s dream: to be a collaborator with the Nazis

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I believe that ad was after it was officially revealed in the canon that chewie is a centrist. Probably their mistake was assuming that was more widely known than it actually was, if it was general knowledge people would have been fine with it I think

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Han gets a medal but Chewie doesn't? Racist rear end cracker Rebels.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Relax, the empire is just gonna force chewie to put on some god drat pants

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

They are rebels

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Should have done Indiana Jones Hotel at Disney with a full recreation of the opening of Temple of Doom dance number and fight during lunch and dinner service, every day.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

poisonpill posted:

:lmao:

Every kid’s dream: to be a collaborator with the Nazis

I'm LARPing as an accelerationist anarchist First Order collaborator. Chewie's capture and execution will radicalize the proles on the cruise.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
:lol: Just remembered the moment in Rise of Skywalker where Rey explodes a ship with Chewie on it with force lighting and then like 5 minutes later the movie goes "j/k there was an identical ship with him on it that no one noticed"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

can you talk about them relentlessly in a thread about an unrelated youtube channe? it's a healthy feminist thing to do

This is the gbs thread to shitpost about movies, star wars, and YouTube videos about those two terrible things. RLM are on the bandwagon but there's nothing really to discuss you just watch their videos and laugh or close them because you are never ever going to watch or care about 90% of the movies they talk about.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Squiggle posted:

They are rebels

Han Solo really is just a space going Duke Boy.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

PostNouveau posted:

:lol: Just remembered the moment in Rise of Skywalker where Rey explodes a ship with Chewie on it with force lighting and then like 5 minutes later the movie goes "j/k there was an identical ship with him on it that no one noticed"

that movie was bad

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Barudak posted:

Your curse for this error is to be given this knowledge: They made 4 more Scorpion King films and thought they still had juice in the tank for a big reboot in 2020 that thankfully Covid murdered as far as I can tell

This is very cursed, thank you. I'm dumbfounded there's enough of an audience to sustain the Scorpion King franchise. Is there a teeming mass of Scorpheads lurking just beneath the surface of pop culture?

No Mods No Masters posted:

I believe that ad was after it was officially revealed in the canon that chewie is a centrist.

I can't tell if this is a joke or not because it's stupid, but the kind of perfectly stupid that would fit right in in Disney Star Wars. What would being a centrist even look like? "I don't agree with your destruction of entire planets but I'll defend to the death your right to do it"?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

FeculentWizardTits posted:

This is very cursed, thank you. I'm dumbfounded there's enough of an audience to sustain the Scorpion King franchise. Is there a teeming mass of Scorpheads lurking just beneath the surface of pop culture?

I can't tell if this is a joke or not because it's stupid, but the kind of perfectly stupid that would fit right in in Disney Star Wars. What would being a centrist even look like? "I don't agree with your destruction of entire planets but I'll defend to the death your right to do it"?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

It's About Family

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

But Chewie was a rebel in Episode 3 before he met Han and long before Han became a rebel leader. Was he just good buddies with Yoda? I think we need a prequel movie to explain how Yoda and Chewie became friends.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Squiggle posted:

It's About Family

https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1792234877376471318

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
you did cars in space, how do you go back to stealing VCRs