Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

There's some degree of hilarity than FGO turned the Holy Grail from "almost almighty wish granter barring Fake Evil Zoroastrian God being poured in" to "giant clump of magical energy that you hoard dozens of, and is one of the 4 forbidden plot devices together with "BB is fooling around again", "Paracelsus' shady new drug" and "it's a Moriarty conspirancy"".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Dr. Snark posted:

-The team is sent to investigate a singularity based around cheesy horror movies, causing one of their members to repeatedly die in the usual gratuitous ways (she gets better). The cause of this is eventually revealed to be one of the biggest simps in the history of the human race.

This particular event has one of my favorite moments in it, in which two Servants (Sigurd and Brynhildr specifically) sneak off to have sex, and when you discover them, Sigurd is absolutely maimed to hell and back. Initially everyone thinks its the classic 'Horror monster picks off the loving couple when they slip off to be by themselves' trope...

But nope.

They really did just have sex, and because Brynhildr is cursed by Odin to kill the one she loves, it got wild and kinky and INCREDIBLY BLOODY and Sigurd is 110% into that poo poo. Oh, and he somehow lived through the experience.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Rorahusky posted:

Oh, and he somehow lived through the experience.

Guts.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

There's some degree of hilarity than FGO turned the Holy Grail from "almost almighty wish granter barring Fake Evil Zoroastrian God being poured in" to "giant clump of magical energy that you hoard dozens of, and is one of the 4 forbidden plot devices together with "BB is fooling around again", "Paracelsus' shady new drug" and "it's a Moriarty conspirancy"".

I edit out our commentary during cutscenes out of respect to the game but there's been an occasion where the game has just cut to look at the moon dramatically and I said "Hi BB" and refused to elaborate.

Cooked Auto posted:

So what I'm getting is that those things belong in a museum, or under lock and key in a giant warehouse filled with lots of wooden crates.

Step one of protecting your grail(s): Do not answer questions from Amakusa Shiroh regarding the locations of your grail(s).

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rorahusky posted:

This particular event has one of my favorite moments in it, in which two Servants (Sigurd and Brynhildr specifically) sneak off to have sex, and when you discover them, Sigurd is absolutely maimed to hell and back. Initially everyone thinks its the classic 'Horror monster picks off the loving couple when they slip off to be by themselves' trope...

But nope.

They really did just have sex, and because Brynhildr is cursed by Odin to kill the one she loves, it got wild and kinky and INCREDIBLY BLOODY and Sigurd is 110% into that poo poo. Oh, and he somehow lived through the experience.

Because he is an ultimate wife guy and if he can't survive a little something like a legendary Valkyrie going to town on him with a giant magical chainsword then what sort of husband would he be?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The dreadful realization that the Wife Guy Holy Grail War is an absolute possibility and it would be a massacre. Granted, you'd have to go with never seen but stated to be qualified alt classes like Caster Sigurd, Archer Rama and Assassin Lu Bu, unless you allow Husband Gals as well in which case it's easier. Or if you count the Phantom of the Opera as a wife guy.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
boy the classes really are just kind of "whatever there's no rules here" huh

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Coolguye posted:

It really is. There's no better example of this than Nero.

Yes, that Nero. And yes, she is a girl. And she managed to basically force her way into the Saber-class because she has a skill called Imperial Privilege, which can be summed up as 'gently caress you, as Emperor I declare that I am a totally awesome swordfighter, and the Emperor's Word is Law, therefor I am.'

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

And you should praise for her that. She really wants you to praise her. Like a lot.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

“Templates like that are forbidden”
Also, this isn’t Touhou

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

A shame, because Fate would only be improved with the inclusion of large frilly hats and bows.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Coolguye posted:

Clearly Lu Bu qualifies for Assassin because he keeps killing the people he serves. The stealthy kill comes from the fact you do not pursue Lu Bu, therefore he can kill with impunity. QED.

(The canon reason is that Lu Bu is strong and famous enough to be summoned as everything but Saber and Caster. Like how Heracles is said to qualify for every class but Caster, except that was a long time ago and punchmages are real).

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
FGO is a game where Jeanne d'Arc can become an Archer by shooting dolphins, class rules are mere suggestions

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am not sure if it is cannon or fannon that people try to summon Lu Bu as a berserker as it makes it easier to control him.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I do like the idea that the classes are more a matter of the summoner's (or the general public's) perception of the Servant and that a Servant's class affects their abilities and personalities rather than "this dude is always this class or this class no exceptions". Like, you want to summon Sherlock Holmes as a Berserker or Lu Bu as a Caster? Go right the gently caress ahead. You might not get even remotely what you want, but you can try, and tossing those dice might give you the edge you need to get ahead.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bear in mind that summoning servants is a gacha. You can use catalysts to try and influence the pull but ultimately you get whoever the Grail feels like giving you, as whatever class they need to be to make this War have a full set and no duplicates.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Lone Badger posted:

Bear in mind that summoning servants is a gacha. You can use catalysts to try and influence the pull but ultimately you get whoever the Grail feels like giving you, as whatever class they need to be to make this War have a full set and no duplicates.
I guess that makes Grand Order the most accurate Fate game, then.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

I guess that makes Grand Order the most accurate Fate game, then.

The main difference is that you only get one pull and there’s no mercy system.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Rorahusky posted:

It really is. There's no better example of this than Nero.

Yes, that Nero. And yes, she is a girl. And she managed to basically force her way into the Saber-class because she has a skill called Imperial Privilege, which can be summed up as 'gently caress you, as Emperor I declare that I am a totally awesome swordfighter, and the Emperor's Word is Law, therefor I am.'
How does the big guy in a coat from Melty Blood figure into this? That's the only Fate-adjacent thing I know anything about.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FractalSandwich posted:

How does the big guy in a coat from Melty Blood figure into this? That's the only Fate-adjacent thing I know anything about.

Can you give us a name? If it is who I think it is then we might have to hold of talking about him until we at least know what the 3rd dlc will contain.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

FractalSandwich posted:

That's a different Nero, different guy. He got that dog in him. And that dog, and the other dog, too.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

FractalSandwich posted:

In FGO he gets a job with mages who basically ignore reality to do their own thing and doesn't ingest an entire loving zoo.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Hunt11 posted:

Can you give us a name? If it is who I think it is then we might have to hold of talking about him until we at least know what the 3rd dlc will contain.

He’s talking about Nrvnsqr (pronounced Nero) Chaos, the Dead Apostle Ancestor who is more prominent in Tsukihime than Fate. Totally different character from Red Saber Nero.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Ah, so NRVNQSR, named after the Number of the Beast, named after Nero Caesar, isn't the actual Nero Caesar. Of course not. That would be silly.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

FractalSandwich posted:

Ah, so NRVNQSR, named after the Number of the Beast, named after Nero Caesar, isn't the actual Nero Caesar. Of course not. That would be silly.

He has that number's worth of animals inside of him after absorbing a whole farm. Easy mistake to make.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If you have to ask who let the dogs out

it's him, it's always him

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Note that Tsukihime, while broadly 'Nasuverse', takes place in a different 'branch' of reality than the FATE franchise. As I understand it (and please correct me) in Fate it is a fundamental truth of reality that Humans Are Important, which limits the power and importance of things like dead apostles (which still exist, they're just less important).

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

He also has a shark

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The Lone Badger posted:

The main difference is that you only get one pull and there’s no mercy system.

Rate up is way better in exchange. Catalysts will still nudge the summon towards a hero related to the catalyst and you usually summon a Servant you are compatible with. Good example is the necromancer punk mercenary from Apocrypha using a fragment of the Round Table and getting Mordred cause they were very compatible in both contrarianism and family issues.

Granted, you also get cases like a scheming and proud mage with a wife summoning Diarmuid, but in a way that's also a fitting summon.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Degree of nudging depending on the catalyst as side note. Aforementioned necromancer punk mercenary had the fragment of Round Table, generally great because any member of that in context of Fate is really good pull. Previous page regarding Herakles' catalyst could have been lion pelt or something so specific to him nobody else can match.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Just realized Troy's ruins must have been sacked several times by mages, that place must be a goldmine for good catalysts.

At the same time it's probably a bigger gamble because you might get the likes of Achilles, Odysseus, Ajax or Hector, or you could get stuck with Agamemnon or Paris.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Definitely don't trust anything Heinrich Schliemann says about the artifacts, either.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Just realized Troy's ruins must have been sacked several times by mages, that place must be a goldmine for good catalysts.

At the same time it's probably a bigger gamble because you might get the likes of Achilles, Odysseus, Ajax or Hector, or you could get stuck with Agamemnon or Paris.

That's the gamble with catalysts. If you just roll the summoning gacha without anything influencing the result, you're more likely to get a Servant who is compatible with you (or at least their whole story and mythic archetype will be more thematically resonant with yours) but you might get someone who is, quite frankly, a weak loser. On the other hand, if you go hard to get a specific Servant, you might get the most powerful guy your material circumstances allow, but there may be a bit of a personality clash that will gently caress you over hard.

That's why guys from epic sagas like the Trojan War cycle or the Arthurian canon are popular. If you have a catalyst connected to those events in general, you narrow down the pool of likely Heroes to guys who are mostly strong and famous, while having enough wiggle room to get the one out of that group that vibes with you best. Plus these are the sorts of stories full of Heroes who specialize in killing other Heroes. Having a Servant whose famous for slaying monsters or whatever might get you a guy whose ungodly strong, but they may not be optimized for fighting other humanoid Servants.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Heroes from Greek Mythology or famous heroes such as the Knights of the Round Table are also popular because of a phenomenon known as Fame Boosts.

In essence, the more famous a given hero is, the more that fame will buff up their abilities. In addition, the closer you are to their lands of origin, the greater this effect is. Heroes like King Arthur or Achilles are so famous that they get this boost in some form no matter where they are, but if they were to participate in a Grail War in Greece or Britain, they would be far more swole and dominant just by virtue of Home Field Advantage.

This in fact comes up in one of the various animes where the war is taking place in Romania, and one of the Servants is none other than our good boy Vlad III, who gets a power boost so big that it lets him fight against Karna of the Mahabharata on equal footing.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Man, fate discussion is really interesting but I'm never touching the mobile game

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Same but I can still chime in

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

bman in 2288 posted:

Man, fate discussion is really interesting but I'm never touching the mobile game

Oh yeah, absolutely stay away. Thankfully learning lore from a second hand source is a tradition for the series, doubly so when it's mistranslated such as non-Japanese fans discovering 16 years late that the Rheingold was namedropped in the original Fate Stay Night but the translation team goofed that up :v:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You can always go to youtube to watch the story with maybe some input from a player about this fight was a nightmare or despite the hype this one was pretty easy. I would go so far to say that with some cliff notes you could get plenty out of the massive story update from last year.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

bman in 2288 posted:

The good news at least is that the Fate wiki(s) for the characters are incredibly extensive because yeah the discussion is always really interesting.

I play the mobile game but everyone who knows me knows that I'm just disgustingly lucky. Just ask Coolguye.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
it DISGUSTS me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's not just the one game either