Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snuffy the Evil
Oct 9, 2012
:siren: Click here for our modset! You need PlayWithSix!:siren:
:siren:Also, there's a new Steam group!:siren: The old one was full of people who hadn't played with us and was kind of neglected.

Check it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymH-gKoOoc0
(not goons, but still pretty cool).

What is ACE2?
ACE2 (short for Advanced Combat Environment 2) is a realism mod for Arma 2. Its primary purpose is to enhance gameplay and prioritize teamwork by introducing more authentic features. It is the sequel to the ACE mod for Arma 1, which succeeded the WGL Mod for the original Operation Flashpoint.

A realism mod? For a milsim? What?
ACE fixes a shitload of things that you might not have even known were broken in Arma 2. Muzzle velocity is actually influenced by weapon type and not just the kind of magazine you have loaded. Backpacks limited by volume, not slots. You can carry an extra weapon on your back. You can adjust the sensitivity of your night vision so you're not blinded by anything stronger than a candle. When shot, you start bleeding and have to bandage yourself or else you'll bleed out. Wind can affect a bullet's trajectory. If you stand next to a burning vehicle, you'll catch on fire. There are hundreds of other little changes, and it would be nearly impossible to list them all. ACE also comes with a shitload of new high-quality vehicles, weapons, units and gear to play with.

Sorry I couldn't hear you I forgot to put my EARPLUGS in :smug:
Yes, we know. ACE also adds a whole bunch of spergy poo poo that isn't really fun the laser designator batteries will overheat and melt if you leave the laser on for too long :spergin:, but the vast majority of it is optional or, in our case, outright disabled. The spergiest poo poo you'll probably see is the mortar system, and even that consists mostly of making these numbers match those numbers.

"In our case?"
We're still playing this game! We play on Saturdays at 3PM central, and Wednesdays from 1PM. I try to put out events in the Steam group, but sometimes I forget. Post in the thread for an invite! If you're looking for something a little deeper than vanilla and your ShackTac application didn't go through, you might enjoy playing with us.

This isn't Arma 3!
Arma 3 is great, don't get me wrong, but we're waiting for it to mature a little more before jumping over. It's a lot like the transition from Arma 1 to Arma 2- it'll take a few months.

Mods
First, you'll need to have the same mods if you want to join the server. Thankfully, programs exsist to make the install process fairly simple. It's not ideal, but trust us when we say it could be a much, much worse.

1. Go to this site to download PlayWithSix, which is the big mod manager for the Arma series.
  2. Run PlayWithSix as an administrator, then click this link to get our modset.
  3. Click the game tab (right underneath "Play" and "Apps" on the left side of the screen) and select "Arma 2 Combined Operations".
  4. Click the mod tab (the second tab beneath "Play" and "Apps" on the left). Expand the dl.dropboxusercontent.com selection, right-click "ACEGoons" and select "Activate collection".
  5. You'll be asked to accept a whole lot of EULAs. This is just some modder's rights malarkey- the vast majority of the mods we use just use the default template anyway. Click "Accept All" and move on.
  6. At the end you'll probably be prompted about installing .DLL's to some directory. This is for ACRE, say yes.
  7. To launch the game,right-click the repository and select "Launch collection".

If you want to run PlayWithSix as little as possible, right-click the repository under the mods tab and select "Create Desktop Shortcut".

:siren:PlayWithSix is a piece of poo poo and will effectively double the size of your install for no good reason!:siren: The massive .pack files it generates are saved in your My Documents/Arma 2 folder by default. You can change this by selecting "Tools" in the top-right, then selecting "Settings", "Game Settings" and editing the "Mod and Synq directories" fields.

If you've been using Six Updater, note that it is no longer supported by the developer. If you choose to use Six Updater instead of PlayWithSix, keep in mind you may not be able to download some mods.

ACRE Setup
  1. Make sure you're running Arma 2 and TS3 as an administrator
  2. Make sure "Talk on direct" is bound in your Arma 2 keybinds. This key will let you adjust your speaking volume, allowing you to switch from subtle whispers to panicked screaming in an instant.
That's pretty much it! However, ACRE can be kind of finicky. If you're having problems getting ACRE to work, make sure you're running both Arma 2 AND Teamspeak as an administrator. If you're still having issues, here are some solutions to the most common problems.
  • If you can speak locally but no one else can hear you over the radio, alt-tab and reload your plugins in Teamspeak.
  • If no one can hear you speaking in-game, try going into your options and changing your audio capture mode. If it's set to Direct Sound, switch it to Windows Audio Session (or vice-versa).
If you're still having issues, visit the ACRE website and follow the troubleshooting steps.

Server Information

Fellow goon BrainBot has been kind enough to lend us the use of his server! To join it, filter for "FooBarBaz" on the in-game multiplayer menu, or press "remote" on the same menu and enter arma.flybynightsolutions.com as the IP. The password should be obvious- if it isn't, go ahead and ask in the Teamspeak channel.

Speaking of Teamspeak, we have a teamspeak channel (thanks, wargames)! We're in the Gooncave.com teamspeak server, in the "ACEGoons" subchannel.

Also, we'll be posting announcments and events in the Steam group. Join it if you want to recieve them!
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ACEGoons2/

There are a couple of things you need to know before you start playing. First, you need to know how to breathe. Second, you need to know how to move around and shoot your gun. Third, you should have some sort of familiarity with the basics of ACE. You're smart people- I'm assuming you can figure out the first two on your own. There's not a lot to cover here, but don't worry about memorizing keys or anything. If you have any questions, the goons in game will be happy to help you out. If you want a more in-depth explanation of various ACE concepts, fellow goon Van Owen has put together a helpful wiki.

The ACE Medical System: How To Not Kill People In Three Easy Steps

First, you want to make sure you can get to the body (or drag it back) without getting horribly killed, otherwise you'll be joining your friend on the ground. Use those smoke grenades! If you can manage that, then
  1. Stop the bleeding. Keep bandaging until you can't bandage any more.
  2. Give morphine.
  3. If unconcious, give epinephrine.

This is basically all you need to know. For a more in-depth explanation, check out the wiki.

The Basics of ACRE

ACRE (short for Advanced Combat Radio Environment) is a Teamspeak 3 plugin/Arma 2 mod that implements realistic radios. This means terrain and objects will cause interference and distort the signal (which is really loving cool). Different radios have different characteristics, which means you can't talk to people across the map on your lovely walkie-talkie. It's primary advantage is that instead of having ~15 goons yelling at eachother over side, you can assign certain channels or frequencies to different groups. Each radio is unique, which means that in a TVT situation you could feasibly pick up an enemy radio and listen in on their communications. You can also, mercifully, turn the radio off.

Again, for a more in-depth explanation, check the wiki.

Press CAPS LOCK to speak on the radio, and your normal TS3 method to speak locally. You can bring up your radio by pressing CTRL-SHIFT-X, switch between radios with CTRL-SHIFT-S, and switch which earpiece a radio is playing in with CTRL-SHIFT-LEFT, RIGHT, or UP (for both ears).

It's good to remember some basic radio etiquette, too. Clarity, simplicity and brevity are king. In other words, since only one person can speak over a channel at any given time, any message you send over the radio should be clear, simple and to the point. No one cares if you said "yes" instead of "roger" or "affirmative", or if you called those enemy soldiers "infantry" instead of "foot mobiles" or "EI" or whatever the term of the month is. As long as your message is short and informative it's fine. A good format to follow is who you're calling, who you are, what you want to say. This is especially important for vehicle-based missions. Once you've started a conversation, you can relax this to who you're talking to, what you want to say.

A final aside: when calling out enemy contact, be sure to mention the direction! Calling out that enemy sniper is pointless if everyone ends up taking cover on the wrong side of a wall.

E: We've had some trouble coordinating vehicles with the radio, so I'd like to clarify something. As a rule of thumb, if the vehicle is UNARMORED, the driver/pilot gets the main radio because he's in control of the vehicle. If the vehicle is ARMORED, the vehicle commander gets the radio because he can see the most. If there isn't a commander, the gunner gets the radio. If you're not the commander, stay off the radio because you don't need to hear what anyone else is saying. The commander will relay instructions and information.

The Basics of the Stamina System

Don't carry more than ~35 kg of gear unless you really have to, or are only walking a short distance.

To expand on that, ACE introduces a stamina system that takes weight into account. You can't carry a .50 caliber sniper rifle, a heavy machinegun and a rocket launcher and still expect to be able to run a marathon anymore. Certain units can carry more weight for longer than others, but as a general rule the hard limit for any soldier is ~35 kilograms before you start passing out and tripping over your own feet. This used to be really bad, as in you couldn't carry much more than a rifle and ammo, but thankfully recent updates have actually made the system sane. If you're a machinegunner or anti-tank soldier, take advantage of your fellow goons so you're not carrying all of that heavy ammo by yourself.

Useful Websites
  • If you want to know more about the various features of ACE or ACRE, you can find their websites here.
    ACE Features
    ACRE Wiki

• Van Owen has been kind enough to set up a wiki for us! It contains pretty much everything you'll ever need to know, and then some. You can find it here:
    https://sites.google.com/site/goonacewiki/home

• Dslyecxi's Tactics, Techniques and Procedures Guide for Arma 2 is a must-read if you think it's about time you figured out what the hell you're doing. It's long and mildly outdated (just ignore the TS organization stuff) but is basically the Arma 2 Meatshield Bible.
    http://ttp2.dslyecxi.com/index.html

Mission Editing

Us goons like to think we're better than everyone else, and this generally applies to mission making too. Here are a few resources I've found useful.

I personally think one of the best ways to learn is by taking apart missions other people have made and seeing how they work. If you want to know how a certain mission accomplished a certain thing, get a tool PBO unpacker like cpbo (in the tools pack above) and go to town.

Us goons have some scripting experience, too. Feel free to ask around in the thread. You can contact me over Steam or PM if you're looking for help.

My Immersion!

First, ACE comes with a bunch of neat clientside features that are disabled by default. You need to be running the "ACE Clippi" tool (found in your @ACE modfolder in your install directory) to activate some of these options or to save your in-game ACE settings permanently. I'll go over the options you can toggle in the tool first. Please note that this is all personal preference.

1. Bring up the ACE Clippi tool. As I said, you can find it in the @ACE modfolder in your install directory, or you right-click the icon in the taskbar after launching the game with Six Updater.
2. Select "Change Manual Options".

There's a lot of things you can change here. Nothing here besides the checkboxes is really important. Some of the descriptions can be pretty vague, so I'll try to expand on them.
  • No Voice: Silences the messages the spotting messages AI and players send out over the radio at certain difficulty settings. You'll still see "ENEMY MAN 1 O'CLOCK" and "gently caress TWO IS DOWN" on the side of your screen, but you won't hear it. Strongly recommend on. If you want to disable the subtitles too, go into your Game Settings and set "Radio Subtitles" to "disabled".
  • No Cross: Disables your crosshair. Recommend off.
  • Minimal Hud: Makes the HUD smaller. Personal preference- I find the "Very small" option in the video settings to be small enough.
  • Ball Tracers: An alternative tracer model that's less laser beam-ish. I think they look pretty neat. Recommend on.
  • New Compass: An alternative compass which makes reading "mil" measurements easier, but the rest of it harder. Recommend off.
  • Animated Reticules: Adds fancy effects to scoped weapons. Strongly recommend on.
  • Grenade throw: A better method of throwing grenades. You can switch between throwing modes(Overhand, direct, underhand/rolling and drop) by pressing Shift-3. Strongly recommend on.

There are a few more settings in-game. Make sure the ACE Clippi tool is running if you want to save these permanently!
  • Enable Staying Brass: Your spent casings will stick around and litter the battlefield. Doesn't seem to have much of a performance hit and, of course, looks cool as hell. Strongly recommend on.
  • Handsignal method: Personal preference, but if you have it set to "gesture" make sure Enable Handsignal Background is also enabled! That way if you hold Tab you can actually see all of the fun gestures you can do.

You can also use JSRS instead of the default soundmod that comes with ACE, if you'd like. You can find a comparison video here.

You can download JSRS with Six Updater- be sure to get both @JSRS and @JSRS_ACE. Once these are downloaded, make a batch file shortcut (explained above) and replace "@ACEX_SM" with "@JSRS;@JSRS_ACE". If you delete @ACEX_SM to save space, Six Updater will redownload it if you try to update all of your mods at once. You can work around this by right clicking each mod and manually updating them one at a time. Foruntately, there's never really more than a couple that need updating at any one time.

Here are some pictures of goons playing army men.

Here are some videos of goons playing army men
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-PAxmM2iXg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lPRyXPkEBw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVUeMzyqDxI

Here are some funny videos of not-goons playing army men.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-4aPlXrS3c (the first fifteen minutes are slow, but it pays off at the end).

Snuffy the Evil fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffy the Evil
Oct 9, 2012
E: We've been getting more than a dozen people pretty regularly these past few sessions, which is enough to make slot selection kind of chaotic and unfair. No one wants to wait forever on the slot selection screen, so if the current admin think's it's necessary there will be some restrictions put on slot selection. It may seem like a bit of a pain, but it's important for making things go smoothly with a large amount of players.

Here's how it's going to go.
  1. The current admin will announce on the in-game chat that slot selection rules are in place. If they don't, nothing happens and it's every man for himself.
  2. De-slot yourself by clicking your name and wait patiently.
  3. The admin will call out a role on the in-game chat. If you want it, you can volunteer for it. This doesn't mean slot yourself. Type your name on the in-game chat. The current admin will pick random people from the pool of volunteers to fill the slots.
  4. Once all of the important roles are filled, the admin will declare an end to the slot selection. At this point, you can slot into any open role like usual.

Anyway, we're pretty casual, but I just want to clarify a few things.

• Don't be a dick. Arma 2 is a team game, which means it's not so fun if everyone hates each other.
  • DON'T BE A DICK. Seriously. Don't whine if people aren't reading the briefing fast enough, or don't know how a system works, or anything. Don't run off on your own and complain when you get killed, don't berate other players for being bad at the game, don't purposefully key your microphone just to burp in it. Things got bad the last time we played because we adopted a "well let's wait and see if it gets better" approach and it didn't. If you're being a consistently terrible person, we don't want you.
  • This follows from the first two rules, but DON'T GET ANGRY AT VIDEO GAMES. Sometimes people will do stupid things for stupid reasons- it's a milsim, after all. Accept it for what it is. If you're not having fun, then no one around you is having fun either. You'll be much happier if you take a quick break rather than slogging through and hoping it will get better.

Well, that's all of the doom-and-gloom stuff. :shobon: I just want to lay down some loose guidelines now. Things will go a lot smoother if you follow these.
  • Please don't run off on your own. Your chances of survival are usually much higher when you're around other goons.
  • If you're riding in an AI-driven vehicle (like at the start of the mission), please don't switch seats to a gunner position. It can cause issues with pathing and triggers.
  • Please don't talk in global or side when you're dead (unless it's important). If you're dead, we probably already know. If we don't, we don't want you to spoil the surprise.
  • Please take a loadout appropriate for your role. Machinegunners grab machine guns, assistants grab ammo, medics grab medical supplies, et cetera. Every slot has a purpose, and things tend to go poorly when people ignore their specialization. Medics don't need machine guns, and you're probably going to give yourself a heart attack if you try carrying that MMG with that rocket launcher.
  • Please listen to the guy above you. Players are broken up into smaller units because it makes communication and coordination simpler.
  • If you don't want to lead, please unslot yourself and say so. Someone will (usually) take the slot from you.
  • If you don't know how a system works, please ask someone! We're happy to help.

Whew! That's a lot of words, but I've said everything I want to for now. Have fun!

Snuffy the Evil fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 23, 2014

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
You should have linked from the previous thread, anyways hooray for the new thread! Now to get JSRS and those grenade animations, maybe I won't frag half of us throwing one through the trees now.

Sloane
Oct 31, 2010

What do you mean I'm not on the list?
My YouTube channel, soon to have a lot more content once I fix a problem with my recordings
Frustrated team leader Cooked Auto's channel
Ace pilot SoapyTarantula's channel including some of our late night non-Arma activities. :heysexy:
Server host and butt enthusiast BrainBot with the excellently terrifying Ride From Hell.

Sloane fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 11, 2013

boofs
Feb 21, 2006

not this apple
I wish I could still play with you guys :( My work schedule doesn't allow for it any more unfortunately, but I'll always be there in spirit.

Snuffy the Evil
Oct 9, 2012
Saw this in the Arma 3 thread- Arma 2: Combined Operations is 80% off on Steam and the BI Store for the next 24 hours. Probably the least amount of money you'll ever spend to die alone in a foreign country!

Sloane
Oct 31, 2010

New thread, slightly more enforcing of rules, hopefully more mission variety!

:rory: Saturday session in 18 hours :rory:

E: I've fixed a ton of things on Iced Pickles because PLC always wants to play it. I'll have it finished by morning if BrainBot is around to upload it.

Sloane fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Nov 23, 2013

Dementedghost
Jan 7, 2010

Running 1.86 miles without dying is literally impossible
So I've just got the game, and set up the mods. Is this something I can jump into tomorrow or would I be too green for you guys?

I'm pretty sure I have a pulse, and I can breath all by myself without too much difficulty.

Sloane
Oct 31, 2010

Dementedghost posted:

So I've just got the game, and set up the mods. Is this something I can jump into tomorrow or would I be too green for you guys?

I'm pretty sure I have a pulse, and I can breath all by myself without too much difficulty.

Nobody is too green, I didn't know how to make sure enemies were dead until after three weeks of playing. We try to hold ourselves to some basic rules and semi-realistic procedures (don't gun down civilians) but we're a pretty casual group.

Just follow along as best you can and make sure to ask lots of questions whenever bullets aren't flying at us, ACE is unintuitive and packed full of unexplained features.

We're in a bit of a transitioning period right now and your first day will be full of things like "My radio doesn't work" so expect some bumps but most people will help you out with whatever you need.

Dementedghost
Jan 7, 2010

So, to alleviate any time wasted from me, what do I do about the game crashing with the error "bad version 50 in p3d file 'nst\ns\misc\vraky\mi8_crashed.p3d"

Also during the loading screen I get a bunch of error missing things displayed in a console.

Edit: Nevermind, 6updater only installed half the mods for some reason.

Dementedghost fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Nov 23, 2013

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Of course I missed this thread entirely because someone forgot to link it in the old thread before it was locked. t:mad:

Dementedghost posted:

Edit: Nevermind, 6updater only installed half the mods for some reason.

Yeah it does that occasionally. It's just a thing it does.

Chillyrabbit posted:

maybe I won't frag half of us throwing one through the trees now.

That I doubt. :v:

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
I was just looking at some of shacktac mods since I figured they would be cool.

Do we have this on the server? Autobrightness map

Or is it a different mod that turns our maps to pitch black when its night?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Chillyrabbit posted:

We had it, but ACE added the same feature a couple of patches ago which caused the maps brightness to change a bit too much.
Even if I think I preferred the ST one over the ACE one. Less neon puke green when you have night vision on.

Snuffy the Evil
Oct 9, 2012

Chillyrabbit posted:

The version of ACE we have already does this. We used to use this mod, but we got rid of it because it was redundant.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Snuffy the Evil posted:

The version of ACE we have already does this. We used to use this mod, but we got rid of it because it was redundant.

Well I think its a little too powerful, even when its a little dark out, a map is pitch black. At least with the Shacktac one I saw it just dimmed when it got darker.

VanOwen
Oct 8, 2011

Any group that controls this many fonts and is bold enough to use all these exclamation marks must be incredibly powerful! And soon, in fact this Thursday in the cafetorium, I shall become their leader!
My last drat day in loving Qatar. I cannot wait to get back and shoot mans.

On GBU-12 and SOFLAMs: I discovered there is an outstanding bug in ACE where you cannot reliably use LGBs when you have a player pilot and a player using the laser designator. So it wasn't just that we were being stupid. I added a link to that bug in the wiki and I am too lazy to copy and paste it here.

If you use an AI laser designator or a AI pilot it works, its just when you try to do this with players in both roles. So... CCRP/CCIP it is.

Snuffy the Evil
Oct 9, 2012
Here's a (re)fixed version of Call of Vorkuta. Zombies were definitely spawning properly when I was testing it, so if it still doesn't work I don't know what the heck

e: Also, I fixed an error in the mission toolkit in the OP. I guess I should've reread all of the comments I wrote in the files.

e2: And everything else, while I was at it. :cripes:

Snuffy the Evil fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 25, 2013

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Would there possibly be any interest in us trying out either the Project 85 or Cold War Rearmed mods?
CWA does have the bonus of having a bunch of missions to it.

Of course none of them allow ACE which is a bit of a niggle.

Snuffy the Evil
Oct 9, 2012
I revamped Desert Heat. It's now a ten-man coop with SPG-9 technicals, no mortars and less angry men. It should play much better now.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3803707/arma2/missions/co10_desert_heat.torabora.pbo

Also, I made a new mission. With tanks! :haw::hf::black101:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3803707/arma2/missions/co10_from_russia_with_love.torabora.pbo

Sloane
Oct 31, 2010

:rory: Wednesday session in 16 hours :rory:

Chillyrabbit posted:

Well I think its a little too powerful, even when its a little dark out, a map is pitch black. At least with the Shacktac one I saw it just dimmed when it got darker.

The map definitely is too dark but without editing the code in ACE and hosting our custom version somewhere SixUpdater can access it, we're stuck with dark maps.

VanOwen posted:

My last drat day in loving Qatar. I cannot wait to get back and shoot mans.

You've missed some good man shooting, we'll be glad to have you back.

VanOwen
Oct 8, 2011

Any group that controls this many fonts and is bold enough to use all these exclamation marks must be incredibly powerful! And soon, in fact this Thursday in the cafetorium, I shall become their leader!
You guys need to record some more videos.

I'll try to be around for today's session but I will be a bit late

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

VanOwen posted:

I'll try to be around for today's session but I will be a bit late

I sorta lost the urge to stream when I discovered twitch had deleted all the stuff for the past few months due to their changes to archiving.
That and we honestly didn't have that many great sessions either.

Also I think the Teamspeak server just went poof.
Good thing it was just me and Duckfoot waiting in the channel.

Edit:
It's back up again.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 27, 2013

duckfoot
Nov 9, 2009
I record a bit, but editing is just such a task I haven't got round to it, I'd have to log everything funny and condense. Plus it'd be nice to switch perspectives etc

Oh and yes we're alone please join us :(

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
Took me awhile to find the new thread, my work life has started to get back to normal and I am hoping to get back into things this wednesday. I missed you guys

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Cooked Auto posted:

I sorta lost the urge to stream when I discovered twitch had deleted all the stuff for the past few months due to their changes to archiving.
That and we honestly didn't have that many great sessions either.

Also I think the Teamspeak server just went poof.
Good thing it was just me and Duckfoot waiting in the channel.

Edit:
It's back up again.

About the TS we updated the Minecraft modded server and it seems to want to lock up the VPS we are looking into why it decided to poo poo the bed but for now the Minecraft server is down so everyone can TS.

Sloane
Oct 31, 2010

:rory: Saturday session in 18 hours :rory:

VanOwen posted:

I have dozens of hours of footage but almost nobody comments when I post videos so I don't know what people want to see.
A few things like the C-130 parachute cut, the hide and seek videos, and our big zombie escape with the runaway plane got caught up in editing hell because I couldn't manage to make them very interesting.
I never felt like they were good enough to upload and don't want to flood YouTube with crappily edited 45 minute long videos or a bunch of 30 second videos with audio problems.

I've been considering the idea of making a separate playlist for short clips, long unedited messes, and non-Arma stuff the ACEGoons have done and just dumping it all in there with a disclaimer that it's pretty rough. If you've ever hung out long enough in TeamSpeak with me, you've probably seen that I've got a ton of clips of us doing poo poo that I just felt weren't worth posting to the channel publicly.

Branis posted:

Took me awhile to find the new thread, my work life has started to get back to normal and I am hoping to get back into things this wednesday. I missed you guys

Good to have you back. Wednesdays seem to be getting better recently.

wargames posted:

About the TS we updated the Minecraft modded server and it seems to want to lock up the VPS we are looking into why it decided to poo poo the bed but for now the Minecraft server is down so everyone can TS.

Thanks for the update.

Sloane fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 30, 2013

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

In hindsight I regret not having OBS run when we did the british mission last weekend as it was pretty much a near perfect run of a mission that we've had in ages and I think that would've been great to show off instead of just silly mishaps.

Edit, and then there is sessions like today that reminds why I don't bother recording. :sigh:

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 1, 2013

Snuffy the Evil
Oct 9, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

Edit, and then there is sessions like today that reminds why I don't bother recording. :sigh:

I had a blast, you big old Debbie Downer. :colbert:

Literally, I mean. God I love the AA-12 with the HE rounds. :unsmigghh:

Dementedghost
Jan 7, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

I wasn't such a huge dead weight last week, this week was awful though.
Although I had fun passing out on a bike and waking up miles away from where I passed out and scrambling to find where to go before passing out again.

I'll spend some time in single player to try and be less of a dead weight for next saturday (If I'm even invited back)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Dementedghost posted:

(If I'm even invited back)

Of course you are. No one has said anything to the contrary regarding that.

HoratioRash
Nov 20, 2012

I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto

Cooked Auto posted:

What did I miss?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

HoratioRash posted:

What did I miss?

Nothing really, was just one of those really meh sessions where barely anything got accomplished mostly due to shoddy missions.
Or in the case of Caribou, ridiculous AI.

Snuffy the Evil
Oct 9, 2012

HoratioRash posted:

What did I miss?

Not much- we just had some trouble picking good missions towards the end. I wish we didn't have so many that were balanced for infinite respawns- since there's no real consequence to dying everyone tends to split up and go off by themselves. :argh:

Dementedghost posted:

I'll spend some time in single player to try and be less of a dead weight for next saturday (If I'm even invited back)

Well, Chillyrabbit actively tries to kill everyone whenever he has access to grenades. "Mildly competent" here is practically equivalent to "Delta Force". :v:

VanOwen
Oct 8, 2011

We did have a suprisingly good run on that rescue mission I can never remember the name of. I think we only lost one guy to getting ARMAed on some stairs.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Snuffy the Evil posted:

Well, Chillyrabbit actively tries to kill everyone whenever he has access to grenades. "Mildly competent" here is practically equivalent to "Delta Force". :v:

I like explosions, but I have terrible luck and knowledge about them. Still fun to use though

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

This is why I wish Arma 2 had the grenade throwing arch line that VBS2 apparently has. Same with grenade launchers.

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cooked Auto posted:

This is why I wish Arma 2 had the grenade throwing arch line that VBS2 apparently has. Same with grenade launchers.

The little circle that shows up when you're throwing a grenade is the "high point doughnut" in the grenade's trajectory. Assuming you're throwing away from yourself and not straight up, the grenade will pass through the "doughnut" and start coming back down. So once you get used to the quirks of Arma (like grenades sliding straight down objects) you can get very accurate with them.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Sooo, A-10 for Arma 3 in the works. One step closer I'd say.
Also Harrier and Cobra is getting worked on as well.

Now we're just missing all of the rest of the stuff. :v:

Snuffy the Evil
Oct 9, 2012
Speaking of A-10's, Van Owen and I were playing around with the laser designator a few minutes ago and got a good 90% hit rate even in unfavorable conditions. :woop:

As long as you're coming in over the FAC's shoulder and have plenty of altitude, it seems to work pretty well. Missiles like the KH-29L can tab-lock onto the target without issue and laser-guided bombs like the FAB-500L or GBU-12 will steer themselves as long as they have plenty of travel time (5+ seconds I'd say), no locking required. It works pretty well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanOwen
Oct 8, 2011

Edit: drat it Snuffy, beating me to postings! :argh:

We did indeed do another series of the laser guided bombs on both NATO and Soviet Bloc planes. This was for CCRP, CCIP, and just no aiming free fall bombs.

They all seem to work now. I don't know if my previous testing was just setup wrong or if they did a stealth fix for this issue but, the LGBs seem to all work. In some cases its drat near voodoo how well they work but, they do work.

I have updated the wiki (for what its worth) but, we at least have this an a good option for future missions. :zoid:

VanOwen fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 2, 2013

• Locked thread