Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.
:krad:DUNGUUN GANGSTAAS:krad: locker room

The crowd roars like a storm outside. The Pepsi Games are in full-swing, and team Basilisk Breath are running the first heat. Lights imbued with cheap magic buzz above your head, and a monolithic Pepsi fridge hums in an open-spot between lockers. The only other decoration in the stark room is a large TV bolted to the ceiling, showing the Basilisk Breath heat. Right as Rock Slabhook leaps from a broken tower and cleaves the medusa's head clean off, the screen flickers and switches to a different feed.

"Salve, Dunguun Gangstaas! I'm Altariel Honeydew, your friendly closed circuit corporate representative!"

A televised pixie? Really?

"Now I'm sure you're all familiar with the rules, but if not, listen closely! There are a few ways a crawler can be disqualified, and if they are, that means no prize. Violations are as follows:

quote:

1. Exiting an incomplete dungeon through any means except committee request.
2. Three or more attacks on any being wearing a STAFF badge.
3. Grave torture of living beings.
4. Violation of dungeon specific rules.

You may also be disqualified for anything deemed cheating by the committee. Too many disqualifications, or an extreme violation will most likely cost a crawler their sponsors as well! That's all for now crawlers— Make your sponsors proud!"

The screen cuts back to Basilisk Breath celebrating the first victory of the night. Double doors slide open at the end of the room, and a large elevator awaits with shiny metal walls to bring your team up for the next round. Better get ready, crawlers.

Whether from seedy sponsors or a man on the inside, you all know a small fact about the dungeon you're being dropped into. Tell me what you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Recruitment thread

Party Roster

Flash Stardasher, Dashing Space Hero - Lurdiak

Kallen "Riot" Dari, Riot Mage - Brother Adso

Grizztle McThornbody, Culinary Mechanic - Alumnus Post

Kag, Wolf-biker Knight - QuantumNinja

Stu-D, Spirit Catcher - The Deleter

Bulette Blood, Pro Wrestler - MadRhetoric

---

Reserved for any needed info.

saberwulf fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 12, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Flash has learned via his fan club's message board that, unsurprisingly, some Efreet warriors are in the dungeon, and are guarding one of its greatest treasures. Furthermore, one of them happens to be his old flame (:v:), Justrina.

(I want to roll for "A lover in every port" right away, since I doubt we're going to be visiting too many cities.)

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

stat rosa pristina nomine
nomina nuda tenemus
"Riot" doesn't exactly have friends in high places. But Mage U Press shows up everywhere there's a gutter to crawl in (even if that gutter has equal chances being filled with piss or magma at any given time).

During the lead up to the games, Kallen met up with some "freelancers" working on "The Lonely Portal-Hopper Zine : City of Brass Edition." They were local slaves kept by the efreet, but making money on the side writing a travel guide to the city for MageU Press. Because when the Man is paying your expenses you should fleece Him, "Riot" encouraged them all to get totally smashed on the company dime, and though her memories of the event are fuzzy, she wrote down some of the inside skinny on the arena.

The freelancers were laughing about the fact that the Grand Sultan of the city had used cut-rate slavers and shoddy archimagicians building the arena, and at least one "devil" guard is really just an unlucky employee of the contractors disguised and bound in place by magic, so they didn't have to spend the money on an actual infernal contract. Who knows what else they did on the cheap -- brittle walls? Lava lamps instead of expensive ever-burning magical torches?

During their binge-drinking and complaining about living in the City Of Brass, "Riot" also got a good sense that the dungeon is a totally blah Dungeon Attack classic - and that the Sultan is royally pissed about the totally lazy efforts of his archimagicians (who were sold into slavery after his tour of the completed arena). Who knows what he -- or they -- will do to make Dungeon more interesting and fulfill the network's expectations? Typical fuckup by the Establishment, just gonna make her life harder.

Time to show them that she and her, uh, teammates won't be kept down.

BrotherAdso fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 10, 2014

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Stu-D is lazily slumped on the floor, sitting against the Pepsi machine and humming to himself. The hum of the refrigerator drowns out the whispers.

There are a lot of them. The City of Brass still used slaves, but never quite in the quantities or with the sheer callousness of their ancestors. Out drinking with his bandmates, Stu picked up various hints of the city's history from what the guitarist managed to slur out between trying to pick up young efreet girls. There had been a spate of rulers who had become obsessed with building glorious monuments to their eternal wisdom and power, each one assassinated or deposed before the throne could get warm. As a result, the slave trade nearly broke itself trying to supply enough slaves to build all of them. None of the monuments had survived intact - Stu had wandered past the stump of some kind of obelisk last night, briefly fascinated, before the drummer had vomited on his shoes.

Not many slaves had survived either. Stu-D could hear them now, whispering in a language like sandpaper. They'd had to be buried somewhere, right?

Build a Dungeon Attack arena on a mass grave. Hell of a jaffa, that.

As the doors open, Stu levers himself standing and turns a lopsided grin to his fellow Crawlers. Being in character as a Face was easy for him - it was turning it off that was the problem. Being a nice cockney elf was a hell of a drug.

"Alright, mates! Let's 'ave a bloody good crawl, OK?"

And with that, he trundles towards the lift, limbs swinging and bottles clinking on his belt. There were ghosties to catch.

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

They are weird and troubling. We owe it to our neighbors to kill them.
Pillbug
For ease of editing and nicer looks, I'm moving the master copy of my character sheet to Google Drive. Find it right over here.

The Chef-King's empire has certainly seen better days, but he's still got friends in low places. Word is, the reason the Grand Sultan skimped so much on construction is because a huge chunk of funding went to hire a cadre of yuan-ti surgineers. Even worse, some of the cafeteria staff have been saying they've seen enough tranquilized dungeon life to depopulate half the country between here and the Sea of Sorrows go through the kitchens and loading docks in the past several months. The yuan-ti don't often leave their secluded college-cities in the high jungle, and their expertise at stitching together fauna is unparalleled. Who knows what horrors they've bred for this year's Dungeon Attack?

Grizztle is sprawled out in the middle of the locker room with fifty pounds of goblins, wrenches, and machine oil, finishing up the pre-battle tuneups on the Atrax Amarus. Little noises like a colony of cockroaches building the world's smallest main battle tank occasionally come from the suit's innards, and at one point a little green arm snakes out from inside the fuselage and retrieves a little bladder of what looks to be gravy. He hums a little ditty to himself as he sharpens the various blades and projections on the suit. Today he'll make his family proud, or die trying.

Alumnus Post fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 10, 2014

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Kag, The Devil Comets' Sergeant at Arms
HP: 26/26, Load: 10/13

Kag pulled on his kutte over his scale mail, and patted his wolf-beast on the head. "There's a good boy, Brainer, you get me through this alright and there's a huge chunk of Olwbear in it fer ya."

He had been kind of an outcast in the hallways of the City of Brass: most of its citizens seemed to loathe goblins, and even his sponsor didn't seem to expect him back alive. The interview had helped a little, but not realy enough. It didn't make a difference to him: he had a family he could count on.

The Devil Comets had sent him a letter yesterday, and in the envelope was a huge scribbling mess, in ink and blood and even some snot. But more importantly, there were some detailed sketches for a couple of serious traps: apparently his VP had thought to hunt down one of the engineers from Dungeon Attack and "persuade" him to describe the work he had done. The entire loving floor of the place was riddled with clockwork and magic, and no fewer than fourteen of the panels moved walls or destroy floors or dump lava into a room. He looked over the diagrams again, and said to himself, "It would've been fekkin' nice if they had managed to figure out which panels..."

No matter. He cracked open a fresh Mordenkainen Light---his fifth one in the last two hours---and climbed up on top of Brainer. After a big gulp, he grabbed up his spear and moved into the lift. "Let's kill some poo poo!"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

(Since rules about rolling weren't specified anywhere, I'm going to assume I can use this roll I made using a dice-rolling program. I can just edit this if it's not kosher.)

(2d6+1=9)

Flash thoughtfully rubs his chin as he considers the message board post in front of him.

Justrina and Flash had a very passionate fling, but didn't part on the best of terms. Turns out girls don't like it when you leave them because your agent thinks a serious offscreen relationship would affect your youth-market appeal. All the same, she'd certainly be disinclined to just run him through without at least talking first. Flash might even be able to work out some kind of deal... She always was the pragmatic sort.

"Something to keep in mind" he mutters, closing his 25 pound laptop before the fae crystal runs out of juice.

Fastening his Shining Spaceketeer armor, Flash looks himself over in the mirror one last time. Impeccable smile, expertly tipped hat, spotless armor, flawless hair... "It's showtime." He says, winking at his reflection. He climbs onto his trusty hoverbike Comet and revs up the nearly silent engine. "I can't believe they made a functional hoverbike out of this stupid prop." he mutters in awe.

"Don't worry team," He says, gliding into the lift. "Captain Flash hasn't lost a named crewman yet. We'll come out of this alive, ahead of the competition and fan favorites if you just follow my lead! Now let's get out there and give them a good show!"

(Also, Saberwulf, you've been getting my character's name wrong. Stardasher. No biggie though.)

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 11, 2014

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
"Miss Danger" Bulette Blood
HP: 23/23

Bulette Blood's trainer, the legendary Thinaun Sheikh, always had a particular hatred for working the City of Brass. When you were getting heat in the hottest place in the Planes, against beings that could reshape reality with a whim, being a heel was hazardous to one's health. However, if you got in good with the right cabal of Efreeti bookers, he told her, they'd spin a whim your way. If you caught the interest of an Efreet, worked them just right, they just might wish for your success.

"So try not to start riot this time, eh?" The Sheikh said over Bigby's Bleary-eyed Brews. Bulette didn't remember much other than that; the rumors about Styx River water in the drink were true.

She had spent her time to herself in the locker room, going over tapes and psyching herself up. She knew how to work, but she had never been on this big of a stage. Fear wasn't in her vocabulary, but nervousness was. She wanted to be mysterious, an underground force of hype incarnate. She hoped she or her teammates wouldn't botch anything too hard. She had to remind herself Dungeon Attack was as much entertainment as bloodsport, just like the arenas. The fans wanted blood and glory, they wanted the lowest common denominator. They wanted her to speak in a language everyone understood.

She adjusted her Gloves of Storing, grabbed her black and pink sack of plunder, and stepped onto the lift without a word.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Sorry about the name mix-up, Lurdiak! I'll fix it in any important areas.

With everyone in the lift, the doors seal shut and a slight jolt signals movement. It's a surprisingly long ride up, but hey, at least the music is pretty good.

*ka-chunk*

The elevator stops. The stadium overwhelms you as the doors open, the cheers of thousands filling the thick air, an entire crowd hopped up on the biggest sport in the Planes. You've come up over a bubbling pool of lava on an obsidian platform spidered with glowing cracks, and ringed with fresh, golden brass. In front of you lies a large stone crag, lava pouring down it in ribbons. At its base are steps flanked by four flames, and beyond them an ornately fashioned gate that shrouds the dungeon's interior with darkness.

"Ladies and gentlemen," comes Wyvernjack's booming voice across the arena, "give it up for team Dunguun Gangstaas! Tonight they'll be delving a Dungeon Attack classic, The Tomb of Tarfuun Suncrusher! Our DJ for this heat will be Captain Fahrouk Pyrebite of the Sultanate Royal Guard. Crawlers, get ready!

Three!

Ex pertinacia fortitudo...

Two!

ex fortitudine fama et victoria.

One!

The torches explode into full on pyrotechnics, showering the area around you in magical sparks.

INCIPIO!

---

Tomb of Tarfuun

Past the gate's shadowy veil is the dungeon's first room. It's a large, circular cavern with a sea of lava roiling below, covered in thin platforms of cooled rock that crash against each other and capsize into the deadly soup. Jutting twenty feet high from the lava are great brass statues, carved in Tarfuun's demonic likeness. Each holds swords and crosses blades with another statue, and here smoldering rope bridges are tied to the weapons in a confusing lattice between the islands. At the far end of the cavern is another gate, this one glittering in the heat with how many jewels grace its surface. A blue field of magic projected from the mouths of stone salamanders bars entrance. Against the left and right walls are shrines featuring decorated statues of Tarfuun, these with gem-encrusted features and silver tongues outspread from his golden teeth.

The hallways seems to have deposited you on one of the brass statues. Two bridges lead forward at opposite diagonals, and at each connected island there sits a scaly, brown ball. In addition, two stone sections above the shrines slide open, and out come thick packs of small, flying creatures that give off a terrible screech. The two swarms bank and line up at the party for an approach.

What do you do?

"Now viewers, you'll remember the the Tomb of Tarfuun Suncrusher from its last appearance in '83 at the Limbo Grand Prix, when DJ Drakk'Tastic manifested the original tomb directly into the chaos. Folks, as much as I love originality, I'm really hoping the Forge of Vanity is still in this classic. I tell ya, nothing like watching crawlers get turned into life-sized trophies."

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

The roar of the crowd and the thump of the dramatic music pulsed through Kag's bones. The roar, the bass, the sound, all of it spiked his adrenaline through the roof. He let out a squeal and barred his ragged, jagged teeth. "AAAAAIIIIEEEE! Let's get this poo poo going! Hahaha!"

He laughed almost maniacally as he loosed arrows into the air at the black swarms.

Volley: 4

For all his efforts and all his noise, the rude little beasty who called himself Kag would've been better off throwing arrows directly into the lava pit, for all the good he did.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Stu-D
HP: 14/14 Load: 4/15

Stu gulps at the sight of the arena. Lava, fire and killer bugs.

"Bloomin' 'eck."

He tries to ignore the swarms - he doesn't really have anything on him to deal with them, and Kag seemed to be having fun shooting at... er, near them. Instead, he begins scanning the arena, looking for ways for his team to progress, hidden dangers, or perhaps a ghost to catch. One hand strays for the little packet of painkillers in his jeans pocket on reflex.

Discern Realities: 2d6+1 13
What is about to happen?
What here is useful or valuable to me?
What here is not what it appears to be?

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug
Grizztle McThornbody
HP: 21/21 Load: 6/9

Grizztle takes in the scene before him with the gleeful eyes of a hungry predator. Perfect terrain. Tiny creatures. It is time for slaughter.

WAAAAAHOOOOOO!

With a terrifying amplified screech like a mechanical falcon playing "Hail to the Chief" through a broken airhorn, Grizztle rears up on four of his legs and spreads the other four wide. Thick gouts of webbing spray from the spinnerets on his rear, entangling the flying swarm and sending many of them crashing to the ground.

Volley: webs at flying creatures: 2d6 9
Volley: damage(?) roll: 1d8 8
-Move to get the shot, placing you in danger of the GM's choice.
(If you rule that this isn't doing any damage since it's webs and not arrows or anything else stabby, that's fine by me. I figured it was best to roll for damage after seeing the 9 for Volley.)

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

nomina nuda tenemus
Kallen "Riot" Darri
HP: 17/17 Load: 6/8

"Well, these fuckers get right to the point, don't they? Kag, Grizz, Keep 'em distracted there and I'll see what the trick is here."

Kallen, sensing she's the only one with the balls to get there and the brains to know what to do with those "spheres" on the island, defies the dangers and dashes flat-out across the bridge, ducking and weaving as she goes:

Run Across The Bridges: 2d6+1 10

As Kallen runs, she notes that there's something not quite right going on with these bridges...

The Mage (Elf) posted:

Whenever a magical effect happens close by, you can feel it, and tell roughly which direction and how far it is from you.

BrotherAdso fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 12, 2014

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Bulette takes one look at the shady rope bridges, looks to the packs of screechy, annoying things, and decides to take her chances with the bridge. It was probably trapped, like in an Exploding Rune Scaffold Match, but as long as she kept moving and didn't look down, she'd be able to get to the other side without triggering anything.

With a hop, a skip and a flip, Bulette uses her high flying style to cross over the other bridge.

High Flyer +DEX 2d6+2=10. Clean hit, racial triggers if there's a trap on the bridge or the pedestal.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Flash Stardasher - Hero of the Astral Sea!
HP 20/20

"Ha ha ha! This is just like the Wraith-caves on Betazed 3! Don't worry, friends, I'll handle these winged miscreants!" Flash glides forward on Comet towards the swarm, grabbing a nearby decorative torch (Which is there thanks to Plan of Action) on his way, and attempts to do an acrobatic jump into the swarm, using the torch to try and set as many creatures as he can on fire.

(Daring Devil roll: 2d6+2=14!)

Flash cockily kicks at Kag's accelerator handle wolf's flank on his way past him, forcing him to drive ride alongside him, executes a ridiculously flashy triple sommersault, lands exactly where he wanted back on his hoverbike, and strikes a heroic pose and feels fantastic about it (+1 forward).

Without checking to see if the creatures actually suffered any ill effects from the torch, Flash turns to Kag. "Now, while they're disoriented from the fire! Let's finish them off!"

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jan 13, 2014

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Kag looks confused for a moment, but fires away anyway. Did that jerk just kick my wolf? I think that jerk just kicked my wolf! He shouts at the squave-looking hero, "Don't tell me what to do, asswipe!"

He growls as he fires a few more arrows, and then he chugs the rest of his beer (which was sitting in a cup holder on Brainer) and chucks the can at the dark, writhing, flying things.

Attacking with more Volley: 10!
Damage (1d10): 7

Kag laughs as the arrows---if you could call the pseudo-aerodynamic, wooden goblinoid shafts that---connect, and his beer can manages to hit a few of the swarm, too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

(Oops, I forgot Kag rode a wolf, not a bike.)

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
(Isn't it better this way? :P)

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug

Lurdiak posted:

(Oops, I forgot Kag rode a wolf, not a bike.)

(Did someone mention wolfbikes?)

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Flash

While your acrobatics make the crowd go wild, the torch doesn't seem to affect the swarm at all. Wait a second— This torch isn't even real! It's a hollow sconce with a computer fan inside and flame-shaped paper taped to the top. They really skimped on the details for this dungeon. What do you do?

Kag

Mark XP for that first volley, since it was a 6-.

The second volley shreds through the swarm, popping the disgusting vermin like airborne haggis. But this is no time to rest. What do you do?

Grizztle

Your web follows Kag's arrows and envelops the remainder in a sticky net. With their wings glued together, the swarm can only let out a panicked *scree!* as it tumbles into the pool below. Before you can celebrate, the second swarm blindsides you, and your vision goes dark as your suit is assaulted by dozens of screeching, mutated mosquito bats! The swarm somehow manages to lift you right off the ground and before you know it you're soaring through the air, proboscides dripping a strange venom that sizzles on your suit. One of the mutant freaks crawls for you neck, looking for a tasty snack! What do you do?

Stu-D

What is about to happen? As Grizztle is hoisted into the air by the swarm, it looks like he'll be tonight's course if he doesn't break free.

What here is useful or valuable to me? Those shrines to Taarfun flanking the room are impressively narcissistic. maybe the prize money could buy you some of yourself? But there's something up with those silver tongues. Maybe some encouragement will spill their secrets.

What here is not what it appears to be? Something's been irking you about those bridges, and only now did you realize why. They're not even rope bridges— They're a bunch of spray-painted cardboard panels and old jump ropes, given the illusion of suspension by metal frames hidden underneath. You notice there's a symbol on the one Bulette is crossing, a downward facing arrow that's been hastily painted over.

The action's heating up. What do you do?

Riot

From the moment you step on the bridge, you can instantly tell it's fake. It's a cheap prop, and it seems there's a magic switch latched to the metal frame below. You manage to avoid the trap by a hair— The whole bridge jolts up at an angle, and you're sure it would've flung you into peril without your speed. You're not out of danger yet, though. Sensing your arrival, the ball uncoils into a six foot tall lizardman, brandishing a glassy obsidian sword and a shield stamped with Tarfuun's greedy face. It raises its blade and sounds an ear-piercing *WARK!* before bringing the blade down in viscous strike! What do you do?

Miss Danger

Like Riot you beat the trap on your bridge, this one dropping sharply at an angle to dump passengers into the lava. A second lizardman uncoils and twirls its sword through the air, cocky grin on its reptilian face. What do you do?

Oh man, I missed that beautiful son of a bitch. :allears: That picture's automatically made this thread 10x better.

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

nomina nuda tenemus
Kallen "Riot" Darri

"Aie! Not like I expected a dungeon made of lava to be subtle but...." Kallen screams something unintelligible in Draconic if you know Draconic, she's actually just shout-singing "Where there's smoke there's fire!"

Weave A Spell (Smoke Screen!): 2d6+2 14

Her fingertips momentarily bust into dull flame and belch brimstone and smoke, cloaking her and driving back the lizardman with heat and choking ash. The last finger to go out is her middle finger, and she flips the lizardman (who of course, can't see it) the bird with a glowing, sputtering flourish.

Riot whips her head around to scream at the rest of the party: "Hey, compadres! Stay off the damned bridge, or you're cooked!"

As she looks back, she sees things looking grim for Grizztle, and Flash doing nothing to help but show off. Typical.

BrotherAdso fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jan 13, 2014

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Stu-D
HP: 14/14 Load: 4/15

"Flamin' nora!" Stu gulps at the loss of the bridges. He notes the silver tongues - "basic metafor," he thinks as he does.

"Look at th' tongues!" He yells over to the others, although he's not sure they're listening. "It's somethin' wiv da tongues on da statues!"

poo poo, the drow. The one who yelled at him for trying to pilot the suit. Stu didn't like him, but letting him be eaten by flesh-eating insect-bats was not in his nature. Stu fumbles for one of the bottles on his belt and swings wildly at the mosquito-bats.

Hack and Slash! (To Hit): 2d6 2

They are hard to hit, and he swears as one slams into his hand and almost makes him drop the bottle. Don't drop the bottles.

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug
Grizztle McThornbody, Culinary Mechanic

"For all you folks at home, this is the perfect time to demonstrate to you the efficacy of Ariadne's all-new "Eviscerator" series of top-quality blending equipment! Only $449.95 when you mention the promotional code 'TAARFUN!'" Grizztle stabs the button marked "BLEND" on his suit's dashboard. Hidden compartments from inside the A.A's legs slide open and an array of razor-sharp whirling blades spring out. Sure, they might have forgotten to install the safety guards at the factory...but right now, it's a choice between a safe product or a proboscis to the neck. "WILL THEY BLEND, SPORTS FANS?! LET'S FIND OUT!" he laughs, as the blades rev up.

Will they blend? (Hack and Slash +Int): 2d6+2 8! Full Arsenal extra tag: hand. (This to avoid slicing my fool head off.)
Damage: 1d8 1

YES! THEY BLEND! (Sort of.) Grizztle lashes out blindly, flailing in all directions. A lucky slice cleanly bifurcates the horror crawling up his neck. His random attacks fail to connect with much of the rest of the swarm, however...

What happens now?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Flash tosses the prop torch aside in disgust while cursing under his breath. And he thought his show was cheap! Turning to see Grizztle's predicament and Stu-D's failure to help, he unclasps one of his Throwing Beamstars from his Spacebelt.

As he carefully aims for the vermin covering Grizztle, he mumbles "If I mess this up, I'm going to be on the top Bloody Blooper Reel of the year."

(Volley Roll: 2d6+2=11. I forgot my +1 forward but I didn't need it.)

"Hey, bugs! Here's spacedust in your eyes!" Flash quips as he does a showy spin and throws the disk, which turns into a spinning golden star in flight and slashes through the swarm, not even nicking Grizztle's armor.

(Damage 1d8=7)

The needlessly flashy weapon manages to slice a good number of the swarm open. Flash grins and tips his hat to the crowd. Stu-D really is making him look good.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 14, 2014

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
HP: 26/26, Load: 10/13, XP: 1

"'Ey, a loving lizard man! Get that smoke outta here and get across that bridge, Riot!" Kag cries, firing a few arrows into the smoke cloud.

Go-Gang Leader:7 + 1 Forward= 8. I choose: an ally may travel through dangerous circumstances without defying danger, so that Riot can get across the bridge.

His arrows drive through the smoke, and force the lizard man to retreat. He goes scampering away from the smoke and the blind arrows, opening the now-triggered bridge for Riot to move across. "Now that's the spirit! poo poo, I need another beer. We should kill this swarm and get to those shiny shinies at that other door way!"

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Grizztle

With the blade and Flash's disc thinning the swarm you have control of your body again, but it seems these little freaks don't have the strength to carry your massive suit. Problem is, you're now gliding down at an angle like a jetliner with no engines, and instead of a runway you've got three hundred thousand gallons of lava bubbling in your path. What do you do?

Kag

"Ooh, now that's a rejection. Nice flurry from Kag!"

Hold on, something's glowing behind the smoke. Before you can even speculate, a gout of flames burst through Riot's smoke, and a huge ball of fire passes over the mage directly for you!

"Uh-oh dungeon fans, it looks like Kag's been targeted by one of Tarfuun's court wizards!"

You only have a few seconds before you're green eggs and Kag. What do you do?

Flash

One of the budget oversights for this dungeon was the cost of installing pneumatic dart spitters in the brass bridge room. A panel on the wall open up, and you can clearly see some enslaved staff load a dart into an airgun. He levels the rifle and fires, sending a no doubt poisoned shot directly for you! What do you do?

Everyone on the first statue

You feel a shudder, and very, very slowly, the statue starts to lower. poo poo, looks like they're trying to keep you moving.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
HP: 26/26, Load: 10/13, XP: 1

Kag lets out a visceral growl as the flaming orb comes at him, and he raises his pauldron into the blast. "Ha, ye think I couldn't take a feckin' hit?! I'm the feckin' Sergeant at Arms of the goddamn Devil Comets!"

Devy Danger by powering through it: 7 (though this might be enduring, so +CON, making an 8...)

He takes the fireball, but throws his face aside at the last moment, and...

What's my worse outcome, hard bargain, or ugly choice?

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 15, 2014

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug

Grizztle emerges from a haze of fruitless bloodlust, and looks down. His gleeful expression rapidly changes to one of chagrin and embarrassment as he sees the lake of lava waiting for him below. "Huh. Bad idea. Uh-oh."

The swarm is about to take him underneath an arch of swords, and he spies his moment. Grizztle calculates as fast as his foul little mind can handle, trig equations and visions of childhood escapades in the black caverns of the Underdark running through his head. "I hope this works..." He waits for a gap in the swarm to open up - and fires a strand of webbing at another of the brass statues.

poo poo. lets be spiderman (DD+Int): 2d6+2 8
[If you rule this is DD+Dex instead, we've got a failure here.]

His aim is true! The web shoots through a momentary opening and slaps firmly onto Tarfuun's ugly mug. Grizztle's descent is changed abruptly to a swing, and he lets out a wild whoop of joy. Drow grow far too heavy to support themselves on their own silk once they leave childhood, and it's been decades since anyone he knows could do something like this. Wait till his coworkers see him now! On the other hand, he didn't give any thought to how he's gonna stop...or land, for that matter....

What happens now?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Stu-D
HP: 14/14 Load: 4/15 XP: 1

Stu waves his arms as the statue begins to lower into the lava. Well, Grizztle was probably a goner. And so was he if he didn't move.

"Shiiiit!"

Well, only one thing for it. Stu hurriedly makes for the bridge that Riot crossed earlier, desperately hoping that the trap is one-time only...

Defy Danger (Dex) to cross to the next island: 2d6+1 11

It isn't, but Stu manages to grab onto the ropes and avoid being hurled off to a fiery death. He joins Riot on the next island as she fights the lizardman, bottle hefted in one hand and ready to aid her in combat...

Aid Riot with fighting the lizardman!: 2d6+1 11
Riot takes +1 forward!

Admittedly his aid currently consists of shouting "Oi, over 'ere, you mis'rable sod!" But nobody said lizardmen were bright.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Bulette, in mid-flight, decides to make the best of a bad situation and tucks into a ball. If she got the angle right, she'd be able to catch the sword and throw it right back at the lizardman's smug face. If she got it wrong, she'd minimize damage to important bits and close to grappling distance at the same time.

She didn't predict what would happen if she got it half-right.

Defy Danger +DEX 2d6+2=7. What's the choice MC?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

"It's getting a bit hot here for my tastes!" Flash quips as he revs up his hoverbike. No time to dodge those darts, just need to get outta dodge and hope they don't hit him in the back. Flash heads towards the bridge Riot crossed, hoping to ramp off it to safety once it jolts up.

(Defy Danger DEX roll for the darts 2d6+2=5)

Before he even starts crossing the bridge, Flash feels a sharp stinging sensation in his neck. Great.

(Defy Danger DEX roll for the bridge trap 2d6+2=11)

Ignoring the pain and trying not to think about what horrible poison now courses through his veins, Flash manages to ramp off the energy of the bridge's upward momentum, fly over the rest of the bridge and land near the Lizard man. "En guarde, you scaley-wag!" he quips, stepping off Comet, taking his Laser Rapier out and grinning confidently

I'm going to die from loving mummy rot or something in this two-bit dungeon and my show won't even get a series finale and I don't have any legal heirs to give the merchandising rights to. That's just peachy.

(I took the liberty of doing two defy danger rolls because I felt I was defying two separate dangers, but tell me if that's not cool. I can edit this to have Flash fall off the drat bridge like an idiot if necessary.)

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 16, 2014

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

nomina nuda tenemus
Kallen "Riot" Dari, Riot Mage

"Now get out the way, you hunk of scales!" Riot shouts, the smoke billowing from her fingers escalating into full fledged flames, which cascade forward with a swing of her MageU patented club-wand...

Black Magic (Flame Wave - 1D8, Near, Forceful): 2d6+3 8
+2 for +INT, +1 for the FWD given to me by Stu

the flames slam into the confused lizardman to push him into the waiting lava below, while Riot rushes ahead...but

• You draw unwanted attention or put someone in a spot.
• The GM removes a non-range tag of their choice, and you deal -1 damage.
• The casting saps your energy. You take -1 ongoing to INT until you have a few minutes to clear your head.

BrotherAdso fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 16, 2014

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Kag

You and your wolf are engulfed in smoke. When it begins to clear, you realize that wasn't just a fireball. It was a force spell! Translucent tentacles from the smoke and ensnare you, wrenching you and your ride through the air towards the crossed swords of the central statue! A well-placed attack with break the spell and set you free, but it'll cost you.

You'll have to make a choice. Cutting the tendrils will land you awkwardly on the central island, temporarily losing the wolf's +2 attack from damage. Taking the hit will definitely hurt— Roll d6 for damage. What do you do?

Grizztle

The crowd completely loving loses it at your swing.

"Viewers, look at that amazing maneuver from crawler Grizztle! Only at Dungeon Attack do you see amazing talent like that!"

The stopping question is answered as you promptly smash into the cavern wall and tumble down onto the platform in front of the left shrine. Take d4 damage.

"Well, it's only at Dungeon Attack that you'll see spills like that as well!"

Grizz, you're staring up at the glittering face of Tarfuun's shrine when the screech of a lizardman catches your attention. He's wielding a massive obsidian sword and is decked out in pieces of polished armor that bend the glow of lava into morphing pools of orange light. What do you do?

Miss Danger

You're at the right angle to catch the blade and spear it right through his head, but that also happens to be the angle for barreling over the lava afterwards. Otherwise a slide will keep you on stable ground, but you'll wind up on your rear end in front of a six foot tall, bloodlusting lizardman. What do you do?

Flash

You have no idea what they put in that dart, but your vision is starting to blur, and there's tremors running through your hands. -1 ongoing on Dex until the poison runs out.

The lizardman breaks character for a second to screech, "hey, you're Flash Stardasher! My daughter loves you! You totally gotta give me an autograph AFTER I BEAT YOU TO DEATH *WARK!*"

A high swing comes for your neck, and you're gonna lose your hat if you don't act fast. What do you do?

Riot

The lizardman's cry cuts out after a loud splash. The crowd loved the attack, but you used up more strength than you thought. take -1 ongoing to INT until you have a few minutes to clear your head. What do you do now?

Note for all: Here's a rough map of the room if anyone needs it. The central statues has four arms, while the others have two.

——#——
~X~X~
O~X~O
~X~X~
~~E~~

Key
~ = Lava
X = Statue
O = Tongue shrine
# = Gate of Tarfuun
E = Entrance statue (currently sinking)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Trying to shake off the effects of the poison, Flash attempts to parry the blow with his Laser Rapier.

(Parry roll: 1d6+1=8. I choose to take no damage.)

Flash laughs as he deflects the blow with ease. "Is that your best? I've got a long sharp lesson for you to learn about fighting!"

(Hack and Slash roll: 2d6+1=7.
Damage roll: 1d8=6)

Flash gets a bit overconfident and tries to sign his name into the Lizardman's chest with his rapier. "Now what did you say your daughter's name was?" Unfortunately, his showboating leaves him wide open..

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Stu-D
HP: 14/14 Load: 4/15 XP: 1

Stu-D helped! It means a lot considering all he really did was shout at something, but it seemed to work so what the hell.

Everyone else seems very tied up in their fighting, though. Stu wasn't much of a fighter - he'd beaten the temple of the silver monkey run by moving just a bit faster than everyone else and paying attention to poo poo. And he'd seen the statues, but everyone else was busy trying not to die or killing lizardmen. As fun as that sounded, it would be very embarrassing if they all died in this dumb room of statues and lava.

Stu, determined not to end up falling behind, attempts to cross the bridge to the nearest silver-tongued statue...

Defy Danger (Dex) to cross to the tongue shrine: 2d6+1 8

Which is also booby-trapped. Stu yelps and pinwheels his arms as it suddenly lurches...

Lay it on me - what's my worse outcome, hard bargain, or ugly choice.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

Bulette had learned two things from working with reptilians: always have them pay your appearance fee up front and never let them get the mount position.

She grabs the blade, uncurls herself, and chucks it right at the lizardman's head. It's not the cleanest throw, but it should be enough to prevent the lizardman from trying to snatch her out of the air.

Volley (I assume) +DEX 2d6+2=9. Gonna take what I can get since BB's already flying into lava.

Damage 1d10=7
-1d6=4. Total of 3 damage before armor.

Bulette flies over the platform, tossing a small disk at the lava as she goes. Before it burns to cinders, a sapling bursts forth from it, giving her just enough of a platform to avoid the lava and reach the nearest statue.

Qualm's Tree Tokens: Never Dungeon Delve Without One!

High Flyer to dodge the lava and leap up to the statue +DEX 2d6+2=10. Clean hit and 9 and 10 in a row.

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

nomina nuda tenemus

Kallen "Riot" Dari, Riot Mage

It feels good to show the crowd how wrong they were!

"Sucker! Eat fire and die, and don't get in Riot's way!" Riot collects herself and looks at the statue she's landed near now that the lizardman is out of the way. However, she sees that dude -- the kinda doofy one with all the bottles -- blunder himself into danger. Remembering what her sponsors said about how to play a face, she thinks fast and whips out a scroll sealed by a fancy-looking MageU Quality Assurance MagiWax seal. She takes a minute to make sure the cameras catch the branding on the scroll before unrolling it and reading a few short words...

Weave A Spell (Form of the Dragon's Wings): 2d6+2 12 +1 for my INT - normally +2 but I took -1 ongoing a second ago, and also +1 for casting a spell directly aligned with my focus

Spectral, firey looking wings grow from Riot's back, and shouting, "Kick rear end, MageU!," she leap-flies across the chasm, catching Stu-D and depositing him on the shrine with her.

"Thanks for the help earlier" she says quietly "We might get through this thing yet...now what's up with these tongue statues..."

are Stu-D and I on the silver tongue shrine to the left, while Bulette is moving towards the silver tongue shrine on the right?

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
HP: 21/26, Load: 10/13, XP: 1

Kag landed hard, but he made sure to take the brunt of it himself (5 Dmg): his sponsors had been very clear that he should ensure Brainer wasn't damaged during the event. It took him the better part of a second to collect himself, but he remembered what his sponsor had told him along the way about playing a Heel: he could count on everyone else to save his life, so all he had to care about was the money.

He urged Brainer across the bridge, trotting across it and grinning through the heat (8). Everyone else would take care of those statues: he was after those gems around the door. "Gotta love this GreyDragon™, baby!"

Halfway across the bridge, Kag glanced back at the lizardman and laughed as it struggled with Flash. He shouted, "What's wrong, pretty boy, can't take a little lizardman? Hehehehehe."

Too late, though, his attention turned away, ... What's my worse outcome, hard bargain, or ugly choice?

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jan 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug
HP: 21/21 Load: 6/9 XP: 0/8

——#——
~X~X~
@~X~O
~X~X~
~~E~~

Key
~ = Lava
X = Statue
O = Tongue shrine
@ = You Are Here
# = Gate of Tarfuun
E = Entrance statue (currently sinking)

--------

Take d4 damage: 1 - 1 armor = 0
"Whoa-whoa-whoa-wowoaAAAAASHIIIIIT--" Face white with stark terror, Grizztle twists desperately to get his suit's beefy legs underneath him, and crashes just-barely-slow-enough onto the cavern wall to avoid becoming Chiseled Spam. The blender blades whine to a halt and slide back away. He slides down the wall for a moment, leaving a thin smear of overpressurised hydraulic fluid behind him, and crumples to the floor of Tarfuun's shrine. Muffled swearing like a hungover Oscar the Otyugh having a tantrum inside a garbage skip comes from inside his suit's hollow abdomen.

Grizztle heaves his suit to its trembling feet, wild-eyed and laughing with sheer adrenalin shock. He catches sight of the foe ahead and a slow, predatory grin spreads across his face. Shaking with anticipation, he yanks a lever marked "TENDERIZE (PROTOTYPE: DO NOT TOUCH)" and hauls his suit up to its erect, six-legged stance. Oh man, oh man, oh man. The engineers warned him this one was even less tested than the rest of his suit, but he begged them to implement it before the first crawl. Hopefully, the locking pins will actually stay locked this time...
The mechanical chelicerae on the A. A.'s front lock together into a spiny-headed hammerhead, and a long handle sprouts from its end. Grizztle howls a war-cry as he charges headlong into combat, wielding an upsized version of AKT's best-selling cooking implement: the "Carnage"-brand monster tenderizer.

Hack and Slash (Int): 11! Extra tag: reach. Electing to forego the extra damage to avoid the enemy's attack.
Damage: 5

CRUNCH
Grizztle slams the hammer into the lizardman's chestplate with a sound like a hill giant headbutting a church bell. He follows the initial strike with a rain of heavy overhand blows, keeping his foe at a distance. His missed swings pound dents and cracks into the shrine floor...

• Locked thread