Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!

About a year ago I started a let's play of award-winning tower defense game, Plants vs. Zombies. About half a year ago, scheduling issues, technical issues, real life problems, and general lack of interest came up and I stopped. But now I'm back to finish the game, at least, and show off a few of the bonus things! If you've never heard of PvZ, it's basically a slightly different take on the tower defense genre where instead of setting up sentries along a winding path to stop waves of enemies from reaching the other end, you set up plants on a straight path to stop zombies from reaching the other end, i.e. your house where they'll eat your brains. It's all very charming and relaxing, and the game gives you a steady supply of new plants and new game modes to keep things interesting. If you have archives, you can take a look at the original thread here.

Wind God Sety fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jun 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Plants

Zombies

Wind God Sety fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jun 14, 2014

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Great to see this back! :3:

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

I should maybe mention that episode 13 is new, in case it wasn't obvious from the OP.

Featuring Skippy Granola

Wind God Sety fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 7, 2014

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
So if you hypnotize a jack-in-the-box zombie, will its explosion kill zombies instead of plants?

unfair
Oct 6, 2012
I always kind of ignored the mushrooms (or at least the small ones), and the aquatic plants - the lilypads with wallnuts and such on them protecting a whole pool of other lilypad-based plants worked really well.

McGwee
May 1, 2012

I normally just plant tangle kelp in every space I can no lilies or anything else in the water

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Are you going to LP Team Fortress 2... Oh, I'm sorry. I meant, Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare for this new thread?

(In all seriousness, though, are you at all going to touch on PvZ2, it's about time as well? I was under the impression it was like this 'un, but better.)

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Samovar posted:

Are you going to LP Team Fortress 2... Oh, I'm sorry. I meant, Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare for this new thread?

(In all seriousness, though, are you at all going to touch on PvZ2, it's about time as well? I was under the impression it was like this 'un, but better.)

I haven't had the opportunity to play Garden Warfare or PvZ2 yet, and until they come out on PC, I don't have a good way to capture either, so at least for now, probably not. If/when PvZ2 comes out on PC, I might do an LP of that if I really like it, with maybe some bonus videos of Garden Warfare.

Five
Jan 6, 2009

So I just found this and I hope this is still going on! Very much enjoyed the videos.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Five posted:

So I just found this and I hope this is still going on! Very much enjoyed the videos.

Yes, this is still going on, sorry about lack of updates. There's been some trouble finding the time to do commentary, but the rest of the game footage has been recorded. I'll have the next up by the weekend at the latest, and hopefully things will go a bit faster after that.

Five
Jan 6, 2009

Awesome! :)

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Wind God Sety posted:

If/when PvZ2 comes out on PC

this isn't going to happen

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
So glad to see a different way to set up plants. Stars are better at killing miners than tumor head. It looks awesome to have several of them firing at once.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Finishing up World 4, and doing some puzzles.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Ahh, we're almost at my favourite area of the game, and we already have my second favourite weapon: The CabbagePult. If zombies could feel embarassment, I think they'd be embarassed at being defeated by a mostly CabbagePult setup.

As to the spikes, spikes are something I spammed like crazy, along with a weapon we haven't seen, let alone upgraded yet, because there's very little that can actually damage a spike trap. Of course, the things that do damage them destroy them instantly, and the slow cooldown hurts, but that's what "Things that make you go BOOM" plants are for. :v:

As to the vasebreaker, there is a strategy that mostly works, and it's pretty much the opposite of what you're doing: Be really god-drat cautious. There's not much of a reason to be like that the first few levels, but later on... Well, we'll see!

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I am late to the thread, but I want lots and lots of terrible jokes from co-commentator guy. (I also haven't caught up either, but i heard you guys discussing if people wanted jokes in a video)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Cabbages are awesome in NG+.
It is weird that spikes don't kill bucketheads the same as the screen doors.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Just finished watching all the videos. I'm sad the OP is doing solo commentary on the last one. Where have all the co-commentators gone?

This is an amazingly fun game.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Kanthulhu posted:

Just finished watching all the videos. I'm sad the OP is doing solo commentary on the last one. Where have all the co-commentators gone?

Scheduling issues with Sanders mostly, and Skippy's LP retired now, so the LP will probably be solo commentary from here on out.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Wind God Sety posted:

Scheduling issues with Sanders mostly, and Skippy's LP retired now, so the LP will probably be solo commentary from here on out.

I love plants, zombies, and making let's players uncomfortable. Sign me up.

Btw I've been looking into methods of recording mobile games for my own reasons, if what I find works out I can hook you up with some PvZ2 footage if I don't forget about it when I can record.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I would also volunteer to co-commentate some PvZ. I love the game and I've greatly enjoyed the Let's Play, if I could help out that would be a-ok with me.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

That would probably be doable. If you wanna post or PM me your skype names, we could work something out.

edit: Or if you don't have PMs and don't wanna publicly post your skype, you can DM it to @WindGodSety on twitter.

Wind God Sety fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 3, 2014

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
Oh wow, a PvZ LP! I played the hell out of this on mobile, probably running through the entire game at least seven* times to get all the plants for the garden (the first side activity for mobile, I think). The last two - at LEAST - was to get the Scaredy-Shroom. In the end I bought it for coins, I had a couple tens of thousands after playing so much.

In the last video you talked about the Yeti Zombie - AFAIK the Yeti Zombie never appears on your first playthrough, but when you start a new game+, it will appear in level 4-10. It does nothing interesting at all, except it might run away, off the screen. You get five gems if you kill it.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Oh wow, a PvZ LP!

Whenever someone abbreviates this I want to ask them what their thoughts are on the viability of strategies other than forge fast expand in their league's current meta.

(PvZ is also an abbreviation for Protoss Vs Zerg, two races in Starcraft and Starcraft 2)

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

CrazySalamander posted:

Whenever someone abbreviates this I want to ask them what their thoughts are on the viability of strategies other than forge fast expand in their league's current meta.

(PvZ is also an abbreviation for Protoss Vs Zerg, two races in Starcraft and Starcraft 2)

I played Broodwar for a long time and I think Protoss vs Zerg too. I have to stop and think for a couple seconds to remember what PvZ is supposed to be other than that.

Zerg for life.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

New episode, featuring Agent355 and Putty!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Neat! I never finished World 4, so this is new stuff for me. Really enjoying it!

As for the Bacon, it's only available in the mobile/DSi Ware versions of PvZ, and first shows up at the end of 3-4. For Android/iOS, it replaced Crazy Dave's Car Key, as the shop is already open, and in the DSi Ware version, it replaces the Watering Can (there's no Zen Garden in this version).

When you give the first one to Crazy Dave, he gives you a Diamond. It shows up in his shop after you buy your 9th Seed Slot, and at that point, it does nothing, except waste your money.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Ah, Kernel-pults. Should've named the thread "There's Butter on my Head."

Just sent a PM in case you'd like another commentator.

Phelddagrif fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 6, 2014

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You might have noticed the secret of the 'pult plants when they defeated certain Ladder Zombies in half the time. It works for other same type zombies and they are great for NG+. That detail was surprising when Spikeweeds don't have a similar effect.

You should buy the rake if it works on the roof. The early warning adds extra time to build more and zombies won't show in the same place for a while.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

You might have noticed the secret of the 'pult plants when they defeated certain Ladder Zombies in half the time. It works for other same type zombies and they are great for NG+. That detail was surprising when Spikeweeds don't have a similar effect.

You should buy the rake if it works on the roof. The early warning adds extra time to build more and zombies won't show in the same place for a while.

Spikeweeds do work on screendoor zombies actually. I'd think it also works on ladder zombies. This was revealed in the I, Zombie mini game.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
My usual set up is highly defensive, butter and some plants we haven't unlocked yet with tallnuts blocking the way.

I agree with the commentators about the waste of the double sunflower, it's not enough sunpower for its cost until MUCH LATER in the game.

But, please continue to place plants chaotically despite the tactical appeal to not do so because people raging at asymmetry is beautiful.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Did I mention that PvZ1 on Android/iOS? also has a cash shop? They basically locked away the minigames behind coin barriers with the option to buy more. Once the Zen Garden and Survival Endless were patched in the cash shop became a joke.

The PvZ1 app has to be purchased too, btw.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

Jenner posted:

I agree with the commentators about the waste of the double sunflower, it's not enough sunpower for its cost until MUCH LATER in the game.

Look, we're at the end of the game here, there really isn't a "much later" to wait for. If the double sunflower isn't worth it now, it's not worth it period outside of Endless mode. And that still won't stop me from using it, because it's the best plant.

JordanKai posted:

Look, if you're given the opportunity to double the amount of smiles on a square foot of garden you'd be a monster not to take it! :sun:

Yes. Listen to this guy. He gets it.

Wind God Sety fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 7, 2014

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Look, if you're given the opportunity to double the amount of smiles on a square foot of garden you'd be a monster not to take it! :sun:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
How many plants can you get on a single tile now? Pot Plant/Lilypad + Mushroom + Pumpkin + Coffee Bean?

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Glazius posted:

How many plants can you get on a single tile now? Pot Plant/Lilypad + Mushroom + Pumpkin + Coffee Bean?

If you're counting upgrades, I think the max is five: Pot/Lily, Fume, Gloom, Coffee, Pumpkin.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
Bungee Zombies can be defeated by any one-hit vicinity kill plants, such as Squash, Piranha Plants or Cherry Bombs. I don't know offhand if Jalapenos would work. Obviously you need to have an adjacent spot to plant any of those, if you're going to get them.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

So this was supposed to be up like three weeks ago, but a lot of stuff came up. It's still up a month and a half sooner than certain people expected though!

Featuring Putty and Agent355!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Thank you for making my opening joke true :haw:

• Locked thread