Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
its evolution is interesting since 1.2 or whatever, especially considering how absolutely unfunny it was prior to that change. now that the shitwaves from that change last november are calming down a lot, weird things are happening. i gotta say I read it a lot more than i used to

I think the poverty ghost is a good meme

what do you think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Was it ever ????

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Mein Eyes! posted:

its evolution is interesting since 1.2 or whatever, especially considering how absolutely unfunny it was prior to that change. now that the shitwaves from that change last november are calming down a lot, weird things are happening. i gotta say I read it a lot more than i used to

what do you think

That you're a moron who still likes memes dispite having posted for over a decade. You didn't have taste then, and you don't now, big loving surprise.

psychofishhead
Oct 30, 2010

I think it's bad and its only getting worse nah just kidding its all right :mrgw:

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
eat a dick, memes weren't always unfunny. we called them image macros

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

theres a front page??????????

naem
May 29, 2011

Skeleton

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
my loving diarrhea is horrid today, i can smell my own rear end

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Mein Eyes! posted:

eat a dick, memes weren't always unfunny. we called them image macros

Yes they were. Just because you still cling to some nostalgic notion that never existed in the first place just proves how horrible your lovely notion of comedy is.

naem
May 29, 2011

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Mein Eyes! posted:

what do you think

could have been kinda funny but run into the ground very quickly olde gbs style

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

sa will produce memes again like in 2003 when it was the height of internet comedy

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

Hobohemian posted:

Yes they were. Just because you still cling to some nostalgic notion that never existed in the first place just proves how horrible your lovely notion of comedy is.

untrue and unfunny

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Mein Eyes! posted:

untrue and unfunny

O' Rly?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA so funny.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Christmas Miracle posted:

could have been kinda funny but run into the ground very quickly olde gbs style

GBS style--overcooked, but runny

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

Hobohemian posted:

O' Rly?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA so funny.

see if you had posted that meme instead, that would have been funny

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

hey... get this..... a cat..... with 3d glasses... and a jester hat

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

what was that other word for memes that sa used forever

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Although its modern use is synonymous with online culture, the idea of the meme predates both the widespread use of the Internet and Tumblr -- in 1976, British biologist Richard Dawkins coined the term from the Greek word “mimeisthai,” meaning to imitate or copy. Just as in biology, online ideas replicate and evolve, especially when their growth is escalated by the power of social media juggernauts like the blogging site Tumblr.

The Evolution of Memes
At their cores, memes are simply ideas that have spread in an almost infectious manner. Once the idea spreads, others adopt it, modify it and continue to spread it. In the online environment, memes usually spread in the forms of images and videos. One of the earliest Internet memes, for example, was the 3D dancing baby. As this animated image spread across the Internet in 1996, people created variations of the baby or added tweaks, such as music or text, thus evolving the meme. The modern meme works just the same way. Many memes found on Tumblr and other social sites feature a basic image -- such as “LOLcats,” or humorous images of cats -- and words written in the bold Impact font. This style of meme, known as the image macro, began on the imageboard 4chan and was created by its founder, Christopher Poole.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

thats not it

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
not image macro?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
here's a meem for y'all fine denizens of bullshit general: lowtax mangostine

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

"garbage"

naem
May 29, 2011

cum

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
A mood house?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
yeah GBS is pretty great now

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Hobohemian posted:

reminder that hobohemian is a big fan of 'girls'

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

maybe im just thinking of "gimmick poster" since sa is the only place to use that

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

it was funny when game quoter came back and then it became less funny when he left again

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

maybe im just thinking of "gimmick poster" since sa is the only place to use that

Gimmick posters were like that guy who pretended to be a secret service agent and made stuff up about the bush administration like how Cheney had bad breath and gargled vinegar. That was funny.

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.

Mein Eyes! posted:

untrue and unfunny

Rose-tinted goggles

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

theres a front page??????????

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i read the front page for at least a year before i figured out there were forums

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Moridin920 posted:

i read the front page for at least a year before i figured out there were forums

same

anyway gbs pre-halloween was full of idiots and drama whores, while post-halloween gbs is just full of idiots, which is a definite improvement

e: also gbs can be relied on for a chuckle which is more than can be said of any of the other forums

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Moridin920 posted:

there are forums!?!

naem
May 29, 2011

Cum??

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Why is this a thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

Mein Eyes! posted:

what do you think

no gbs is not funny you stupid oval office

• Locked thread