Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Most of them wouldn't be funny enough to be a funny forums poster. What they do is 95% performance and 5% writing. And still they're really funny in real life.

What do you think this means for us, as a society? What will replace standup comedy once people realize that it's had its time as an art-form?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidbeak
Jul 24, 2007

Com Truise
Theatre

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

good standup comedians

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
10 drink minimum

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
The future is Weird Twitter. Yesterday was Dave Chapell breaking down and fleeing to Africa. Today is Wetbutt breaking down sucking his 12 inch dick.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
comedy is always politics

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

dane cook post in this thread tia

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Sometimes for stand up to be funny you need to be there

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

NutritiousSnack posted:

The future is Weird Twitter. Yesterday was Dave Chapell breaking down and fleeing to Africa. Today is Wetbutt breaking down sucking his 12 inch dick.

Comedians are so painfully unfunny on twitter. Even those really bad twitter accounts with 100k followers that post Obvious Jokes are funnier than most comedians on twitter. Except Colin Quinn, whose twitter is a great work of irony.

Butthead
May 31, 2011
Actually you don't have to be funny to be a forums poster, you just need $10. So I believe they could in fact be funnier than forums posters. Just my belief tho.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
I don't need no paid television to tell me that!

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

mookface posted:

Sometimes for stand up to be funny you need to be there

Right, it's a performing art, about presence, not humor in its purest form or whatever. Which is why it will lose its place as one of our mane cultural things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAAvyEkcAZ0

I really love Mike Epps, because he's like the badly behaved kid who got you detention by making you laugh at a fart noise. He has natural funny. The opening little videotaped thing is so charming.

So many comedians are the opposite. And I hate it! Get rid of them!!

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

netflix made me realize that bo burnham is the only funny comedian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo9pU1q8sy8

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Bro Dad posted:

that doesn't seem very funny?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
It's not funny at all

BASF
Jun 16, 2011

by Ralp
They don't drink enough poppy pod tea, gives you super strength!

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Bro Dad posted:

deep

Butthead
May 31, 2011
I like Netflix because there are a limitless amount of poo poo movies and comedians to watch when I forget to download something for free.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
poop

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
Saw a stand up who started making Arab jokes half way through his act. His Arab voice was Indian for some raisin

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

WEREWAIF posted:

Most of them wouldn't be funny enough to be a funny forums poster. What they do is 95% performance and 5% writing. And still they're really funny in real life.

What do you think this means for us, as a society? What will replace standup comedy once people realize that it's had its time as an art-form?

Turns out being charming and engaging in person and posting on a forum are totally unrelated.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Bro Dad posted:

its pewdiepie!!! blarg!!!!!

Trip Larsen
Oct 4, 2006

My great-grandfather started Larsen Pork Products with little more than three pigs and a killing hammer. Today, I'm proud to say, we kill more pigs than pig hepatitis.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
All stand up is horseshit.

Wild Hogs
May 6, 2008
The future of comedy's is actually posting. Soon everyone will gather in theaters to watch some grease stain on a futon bitch about Diablo III imbalances and drink Natty Boh

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

watched eddy murphy raw

"human being human being human being they see me in this jacket and wanna gently caress me human being"

dude picked up a troon :lol:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

steinrokkan posted:

All stand up is horseshit.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Most stand-up comedians are supremely broken people and you kind of need to be to consider doing something where you'll suck for 10+ years before maybe not sucking as a valid career path.

Counterpoint though the absolute worst stand-up comedians are the people with stable lives and families.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
I know this will be difficult to swallow, but I am afraid that with our abrasively progressive culture that comedy as an art will likely die. Jokes that some may considwr "distasteful" are being made illegal on every front, including our beloved something awful dot com, and if we don't start fighting back now, then we're already beyond the epitome of comedy in our lifetimes.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
We've already passed peak comedy

College Ruled
Apr 25, 2012

"It seems another associate has taken my friendly attitude as to insinuate desires that would exist outside the bounds of professional courtesy."

Courtesy of: 01001100 01001100 01001010 01001011 01010011 01101001 01001100 01101011
I can see comedy being outlawed on the street. There'll be bunkers like in terminator where kids huddle around burning whoopee cushions and people going into dark rooms to throw pies at each other in private.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
I saw live comedy once but I don't like anything so I didn't like it.

Slurin
Jul 17, 2008
I am a coward who makes grandiose claims and then runs away when asked for evidence. Please ignore everything I have to say.

Otacon posted:

dane cook post in this thread tia

Dane cook came to a major florida university for a homecoming comedy show at the peak of his career and went to a frat party after the show, proceeded to have a major meltdown when drunk and cried uncontrollably because he thought people thought he wasn't funny

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

he was right

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

Slurin posted:

Dane cook came to a major florida university for a homecoming comedy show at the peak of his career and went to a frat party after the show, proceeded to have a major meltdown when drunk and cried uncontrollably because he thought people thought he wasn't funny

lol dane cook is actually pretty funny haha

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

speaking of bad netflix comedians, this amazing scene came from a lovely movie about a lovely comedian who can't deal with people calling him lovely.

but this scene kinda justifys it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjVrrr0d3gU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I really enjoyed Louie CK's standup but the stuff I saw on Netflix wasn't as funny as the stuff I find on youtube.

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
More like most everything is awful whether it is on Netflix or something else AM I RIGHT FOLKS?

Wertjoe
May 10, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

speaking of bad netflix comedians, this amazing scene came from a lovely movie about a lovely comedian who can't deal with people calling him lovely.

but this scene kinda justifys it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjVrrr0d3gU

That whole movie is weird. I don't know is Jamie Kennedy is just totally oblivious or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Zero We Trust
Jul 14, 2011
I only ever liked one stand up comedian

• Locked thread