Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
and you'd be right to, it actually controls okay on touch screen and it has native online play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
get a modded psp and play mhp3rd over usb adhoc

it owns bones

alternately play it on an emulator and use a 360 controller. it also owns bones

there's a version of it floating around that was extracted from the ps3 hd port

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Already played all the P3rd I can handle way back when, I just never got as far as I wanted in MHFU because g-rank is a loving pain solo and getting online working on emulators sucks

And with this I can play it on the train and not look like a ds-carrying manchild!!!!!

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i can't go back to MHFU

every weapon in p3rd is so much fun

the greatsword didn't get much change even though it's the best weapon but it's the only weapon i like in mhfu unless i'm running support

Dec 26, 2012

oh poo poo i didnt know this was a thing, sweet

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

E1M1 posted:

it actually controls okay on touch screen

i don't believe you.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
"Gaming" on iOS? Don't make me laugh.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Hahahaha, babby's first video game. What are you, 50 years old? Get a 3DS dummy, it's got all the good stuff and is extremely the thing to have.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I play this game on my vita, op. my iphone is only for work stuff.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
would this control well on an iphone or do u think it's p much a tablet thing

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

so whats MHFU please explain to all the non-autists

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Ekster posted:

so whats MHFU please explain to all the non-autists

it is a game every game should learn from

you kill bosses. almost exclusively bosses. then you cut them apart and make them into equipment. then you continue doing this.

each boss type is different, like kirin is a little magical unicorn who uses lightning and i tend to take it out by putting it to sleep and putting a comical amount of bombs around it and then kicking them

then there's one so big you have to use siege weaponry and climb on it to do real damage and you're expected to take it out after about 3 attempts and it keeps health between runs

every weapon controls differently. sword and shield is boring poo poo for fucklords but greatsword is balanced entirely on huge risk/reward and there's a giant horn you can use like a hammer while playing songs that buff your team

edit: it also makes you use THE CLAW

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I've only done the first few missions(got it through PS+) but it kinda reminds me of Dark Souls. Also the combat is immediately way more satisfying to me than noted clone Soul Sacrifice

Dec 26, 2012

the stamina system and the weight of the heavier weapon attacks is pretty souls-y yeah

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
I hope MH4 gets a Wii U HD port, MH3U-HD was pretty sick, especially with native online support + 3DS crossplay was great too

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I bought a Japanese circlepad pro for MH3U, the week before they actually started selling them in the US.

I am not good at MH btw

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Tiger Millionaire posted:

I hope MH4 gets a Wii U HD port, MH3U-HD was pretty sick, especially with native online support + 3DS crossplay was great too

as of now it's 3ds only I think. haven't heard anything about 4u on wii u

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
MHFU on the IOS has native online? But we couldn't figure that out for 3DS?

:smith:

No, but buy it. Everyone buy it, or buy 3U, or any of them, because you murder countless dinosaurs and make their flesh into funny horns and guitars and spears.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
never played monster hunter games because they looked like pso games except with even worse mmo style quests

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

big duck equals goose posted:

never played monster hunter games because they looked like pso games except with even worse mmo style quests

here's a complete list of quests:

find a thing (entry level quests designed to let you kill weak stuff). these are only at the very beginning and only one is mandatory in mhfu and that's because a goddamn tigrex shows up
kill a thing and harvest its parts

that's all the quests

the combat is hells of better than pso and i used to play FOmarl and specifically get a Mag that let me use swords

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
There are gathering and "kill X dudes" quests too, but beyond the tutorials in any of the games not a single one is required for progression nor do any of them have any unique materials so you can go the entire game just hunting huge monsters

Dec 26, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

MHFU on the IOS has native online? But we couldn't figure that out for 3DS?

:smith:

No, but buy it. Everyone buy it, or buy 3U, or any of them, because you murder countless dinosaurs and make their flesh into funny horns and guitars and spears.

i assumed it was a ploy to get people to buy the wiiu version instead of the 3ds one

does mh4 have online natively?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Monster Hunter is one of the few series that has actual challenging boss battles.

Dark Souls still does not have this.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

01011001 posted:

does mh4 have online natively?

yes, they finally realized what they needed to do to sell the game outside of japan after a decade

Dec 26, 2012

Emalde posted:

yes, they finally realized what they needed to do to sell the game outside of japan after a decade

good

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Taint Reaper posted:

Monster Hunter is one of the few series that has actual challenging boss battles.

you are just filled with terrible opinions arent you

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Can I play this on my ps3 or do I have to have one of those handheld things

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Black Baby Goku posted:

you are just filled with terrible opinions arent you

the first half of his opinion was right which is a massive bit of progress

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
i bought this and i am playing monster hunter on my loving phone and having a surprising amount of fun.

ive never played a monster hunter before. it's got a strong combat system and a lot of busywork but that busywork seems to be pretty decently contextualized to be addictive. so far i give this a thumbs up, i made a bow out of some monkeys

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
You can connect through the internet using ppsspp, it's a bit cumbersome but it's great. I was actually thinking about doing a ppsspp megathread with a OP with all the instructions to connect over the internet, and try to foster some community but I actually found two on Evolve, and one of them is "local" so I played MHFU and MHP3rd with no lag whatsoever for a while. Sometimes I think about getting the 3ds or wii u for monhun but I doubt I will have a better experience than this.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

I bet you used magic builds + summoned others all the time for bosses cause lol

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Ekster posted:

I bet you used magic builds + summoned others all the time for bosses cause lol

you can make anything hard if you don't use all of the tools you are given

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

you can make anything hard if you don't use all of the tools you are given

real men find the biggest two-handed weapon and go to town solo no matter how dumb that strategy is

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
using summons and an easy build is basically equivalent to playing the game on easy mode. the game makes it more than clear that you aint having fun doing it x way you could always do it y way for an extra challenge

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Ekster posted:

real men find the biggest two-handed weapon and go to town solo no matter how dumb that strategy is

this is how i play monster hunter

i like it when my greatsword isn't sharp enough to cut something because you can just hammer on it like it's a blunt object and it still does better damage than SnS slashes

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
ive been usin bows thus far in monster hunter. i cant tell if the high enemy health is because thats just the way it is, or because theyre strong against my monkey bow's frost damage, or because bows do not a lot of damage. any hot hints

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Space Hamlet posted:

ive been usin bows thus far in monster hunter. i cant tell if the high enemy health is because thats just the way it is, or because theyre strong against my monkey bow's frost damage, or because bows do not a lot of damage. any hot hints

enemies have a loving lot of health and if you ever use a hp hack to see their health you will be extremely sad

iirc a greatsword does 80 damage on a good hit early on and Kut-Ku has 640 health

Dec 26, 2012

Space Hamlet posted:

i havent played this one yet but in mh3u big enemies have a fuckload of health and their strengths/weaknesses are generally obscured until you have a chance to make armor out of them. you can sometimes suss it out by context if they lean heavily towards one element or another

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

01011001 posted:

i havent played this one yet but in mh3u big enemies have a fuckload of health and their strengths/weaknesses are generally obscured until you have a chance to make armor out of them. you can sometimes suss it out by context if they lean heavily towards one element or another

Or you can cheat like crazy and just google away. Some people make nice charts.

Rules of Thumb:
If it's on fire/explosive/big and rocky, use water.
If it's one of the early game little dinosaurs or ice themed, use fire.
If it's underwater, use thunder (Unless it's Lagiacrus).
If it's a burrower, use ice.
If it's a big gently caress off Elder Dragon, use Dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Space Hamlet posted:

using summons and an easy build is basically equivalent to playing the game on easy mode. the game makes it more than clear that you aint having fun doing it x way you could always do it y way for an extra challenge

Yes, and my point is that you can make any game more difficult if you purposefully don't use things that make it easier.

I'm not saying I think the Souls games are easy, I haven't played them enough to say that. I'm just saying that "if it's easy for you then you aren't intentionally gimping yourself properly" is a stupid argument.

• Locked thread