Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Hello. This is the imp zone thread for Fallout: New Vegas, and also any other fallout games, except for the lovely ones, which you're not allowed to post about. Pretend there's a long OP here with mods and a description of the game and such because you're incapable of googling it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I've been doing a Dean Domino run where I kill anyone who even remotely disrespects me. Mostly this has ended in a lot of dead powder gangers and legionnaires but the kings and van graffs were also eliminated.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
on that note pretend I am posting a totally sick gif of Vic getting shredded by friendly smg fire

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

New Vegas is good, the Old World Blues DLC is even better.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Fallout 3 is better because it has ATMOSPHERE. Like a town full of kids, a town full of superheroes, a town full of druids, and a town full of mall goth vampires. Great poo poo, man. Beats that dumb poopy poo poo New Vegas had.

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

Everybody says that one inkblot is two bears high fiving, but I always saw it as two guys in Colovian fur helms playing pattycake

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

fronz posted:

I've been doing a Dean Domino run where I kill anyone who even remotely disrespects me. Mostly this has ended in a lot of dead powder gangers and legionnaires but the kings and van graffs were also eliminated.

this is a valid solution to the main quest arc of Novac. best type of run.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I installed a bunch of mods to make my 3rd playthrough more interesting but I just cant be bothered to go through it all again. Also now some enemies are giant floating exclamation points.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SunAndSpring posted:

Fallout 3 is better because it has ATMOSPHERE. Like a town full of kids, a town full of superheroes, a town full of druids, and a town full of mall goth vampires. Great poo poo, man. Beats that dumb poopy poo poo New Vegas had.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Unguided posted:

New Vegas is good, the Old World Blues DLC is even better.

OWB is the worst DLC in the game. It's fun for exploration the first time but the fact that everything is so bullet spongy and never stops coming makes it an obnoxious unfun ammo sink if you're anything but a melee guy.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

this is a valid solution to the main quest arc of Novac. best type of run.

ymean where you crash the rockets? or where you just kill all the ghouls

I guess you could also just kill Manny. I only didn't do that because he was respectful, thanks to my gay perk.

fronz fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 9, 2014

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

SunAndSpring posted:

IMO it's better because it has a personal, emotional main quest about your father, unlike F:NV in which you don't have a reason to care about New Vegas and you also don't get to see your character grow up.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

If anyone wants any information on inner workings of this game let me know. I did way more loving around with it than I should have and worked a little bit on some mods for it before throwing my hands in the air and saying gently caress it and waiting for a more stable engine.

The Oblivion engine really held back this game a lot, as did the RAM limitation. Once you gently caress with it enough to realize what they had to work with and the timeframe they did it in the game gets much more amazing than it already is. IIRC the total dev time for it from start to finish (release) was around 18 months and they were forced to work with a VERY hosed up engine which they did everything they possibly could to fix within parameters given, making it work for 3 very different ecosystems (especially the PS3) and having to make every attempt to make DLC integrate as much as possible (on the Oblivion engine DLC does not recognize each other by default; hence the GRA versions of weapons, for example or the lack of interaction between OWB and Dead Money if done "out of order").

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Falsum posted:

IMO it's better because it has a personal, emotional main quest about your father, unlike F:NV in which you don't have a reason to care about New Vegas and you also don't get to see your character grow up.

I loved how my dad did not care that I killed an entire town of men, women, and children with atomic weaponry. My real life dad would do the same.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Widestancer posted:

If anyone wants any information on inner workings of this game let me know. I did way more loving around with it than I should have and worked a little bit on some mods for it before throwing my hands in the air and saying gently caress it and waiting for a more stable engine.

The Oblivion engine really held back this game a lot, as did the RAM limitation. Once you gently caress with it enough to realize what they had to work with and the timeframe they did it in the game gets much more amazing than it already is. IIRC the total dev time for it from start to finish (release) was around 18 months and they were forced to work with a VERY hosed up engine which they did everything they possibly could to fix within parameters given, making it work for 3 very different ecosystems (especially the PS3) and having to make every attempt to make DLC integrate as much as possible (on the Oblivion engine DLC does not recognize each other by default; hence the GRA versions of weapons, for example or the lack of interaction between OWB and Dead Money if done "out of order").

and in spite of all this obsidian still made a better game than bethesda

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

quote:

(Killing the kids at the Den)Waste of explosives (especially early on) and breaks immersion far more. Don't you even get negative karma for that?

quote:

How is blowing kids up immersion breaking? And about karma, nothing killing a few raiders won't solve.

quote:

Because it takes a very special type of psychopathic character to causally blow up children just to avoid getting pick-pocketed, when you aren't choosing to RP like that, it makes no sense at all. Not to mention you lose a very good early companion to carry your ♥♥♥♥ because you earned the "child killer" rep, and you take a hit on future dialogue options. No amount of dead raiders will help with that.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

SunAndSpring posted:

I loved how my dad did not care that I killed an entire town of men, women, and children with atomic weaponry. My real life dad would do the same.

To be fair, it was a very ugly town, and it was good that it was destroyed.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I did a all-kill run where I tried to do all the quests too but I got bored

Nobody cares if you murder people at all if they can't detect you, it's like

Hey, that guy went into another room, we heard a gunshot, and Steve's head exploded. Exploding head syndrome must be going around.

the powder ganger boss was just sitting in a room full of dead people giving me quests because of what a good friend I was

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Hog Butcher posted:

I did a all-kill run where I tried to do all the quests too but I got bored

Nobody cares if you murder people at all if they can't detect you, it's like

Hey, that guy went into another room, we heard a gunshot, and Steve's head exploded. Exploding head syndrome must be going around.

the powder ganger boss was just sitting in a room full of dead people giving me quests because of what a good friend I was

When I do Cass's quest I shoot alice mclafferty in the head in full view of the three bodyguards, but I do it behind her desk where nobody will see me.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

fronz posted:

To be fair, it was a very ugly town, and it was good that it was destroyed.

Those guys built their town around an undetonated nuclear bomb. IMO they weren't cut out for a post-apocalyptic world.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Falsum posted:

Those guys built their town around an undetonated nuclear bomb. IMO they weren't cut out for a post-apocalyptic world.

guys this is the new vegas and good fallout thread

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I forgot that people weren't allowed to post about the lovely ones. Sorry.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
is there a mod or series of mods to make the combat into a decent 3ps so I can just explore and shoot people instead of relying on vats to hit anything

because that would be extremely "my poo poo"

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

fronz posted:

I forgot that people weren't allowed to post about the lovely ones. Sorry.

thanks op for dealing with these trolls

Dec 26, 2012

fronz posted:

OWB is the worst DLC in the game. It's fun for exploration the first time but the fact that everything is so bullet spongy and never stops coming makes it an obnoxious unfun ammo sink if you're anything but a melee guy.

agreed with this

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Mung Dynasty posted:

is there a mod or series of mods to make the combat into a decent 3ps so I can just explore and shoot people instead of relying on vats to hit anything

I don't use VATS at all. I am for their heads and shoot, and then soon they die.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Mung Dynasty posted:

Because of the way that bullet spread is calculated (str reqs and weapon skill reqs) it can often make this really frustrating early on. Doing anything to mitigate that will help.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Widestancer posted:

Because of the way that bullet spread is calculated (str reqs and weapon skill reqs) it can often make this really frustrating early on. Doing anything to mitigate that will help.

yeah basically this

there also seems to be a difference in where your bullets go in first person related to the reticule and where they go in third person

edit: oh i guess you meant investing in skills and poo poo versus modding but i did that and it still blew

Mung Dynasty fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 9, 2014

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
If I had to pick one, my favorite Fallout would be 1. NV and F2 are pretty close to each other.

I only played F3 until I met the sheriff of Megaton. Then I quit because I had to go eat and never launched it again. I just find Bethesda's games really uninspired, at least at the beginning.

Is it true that non-VATS aiming was basically unusable in F3?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Mung Dynasty posted:

yeah basically this

there also seems to be a difference in where your bullets go in first person related to the reticule and where they go in third person

Some of the reticules may be off especially if you are using modded weapons that aren't thoroughly playtested (such as Project Nevada and WMX which had extensive testing). There is also at least one example of a gun with specifically canted sights found in the Honest Hearts DLC; it's a really good one though so it's worth learning how to use. The game is much less forgiving than Fallout 3 when it comes to accuracy for higher end Small Arms. I've found that a build using very high end laser weapons will solve this problem handily as they have a very tight spread, instant hit and generally low STR requirements. With max charged cells they can also rip through armor. The fully upgraded gatling laser can also be brought down to below 5 pounds in total weight which is just silly.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

widestancer, why do you have extensive experience with the underpinnings of this game?

were you working on a mod for it?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Falsum posted:

If I had to pick one, my favorite Fallout would be 1. NV and F2 are pretty close to each other.

I only played F3 until I met the sheriff of Megaton. Then I quit because I had to go eat and never launched it again. I just find Bethesda's games really uninspired, at least at the beginning.

Is it true that non-VATS aiming was basically unusable in F3?

It's usable, especially if you're using single shot mode weapons. One of the biggest issues is that the base spread on the automatic weapons in FO3 is extremely large and most players end up using the Chinese Assault Rifle which has a horrendous spread.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Widestancer posted:

Some of the reticules may be off especially if you are using modded weapons that aren't thoroughly playtested (such as Project Nevada and WMX which had extensive testing). There is also at least one example of a gun with specifically canted sights found in the Honest Hearts DLC; it's a really good one though so it's worth learning how to use. The game is much less forgiving than Fallout 3 when it comes to accuracy for higher end Small Arms. I've found that a build using very high end laser weapons will solve this problem handily as they have a very tight spread, instant hit and generally low STR requirements. With max charged cells they can also rip through armor. The fully upgraded gatling laser can also be brought down to below 5 pounds in total weight which is just silly.

while i appreciate your capitalized and punctuated post i really just want the game to play like an actual shooter instead of whatever it is thats going on because im an easily bored pleb that needs it to play like max payne or binary domain or some poo poo

that being said new vegas owns in all other regards the gunplay is just unfun

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Mung Dynasty posted:

yeah, I agree. most of the time I just used VATs and went for headshot

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

idtech gets a lot of poo poo from people on consoles or slow hdds but seriously the shooting in rage and wolfenstein was super fun so just make the next fallout on that

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Mung Dynasty posted:

while i appreciate your capitalized and punctuated post i really just want the game to play like an actual shooter instead of whatever it is thats going on because im an easily bored pleb that needs it to play like max payne or binary domain or some poo poo

That's probably not going to happen especially with the limitations on modding in that engine. The best thing you could do is console yourself max weapons skills and strength and use weapons with a tight base spread. That eliminates most of the problems with crazy stray shots.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
You're really not going to have problems aiming in this game if you're building a Guns character. The problems with how the guns and shooting "feel", though, are just part of the lovely engine and can't really be fixed.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I will be shocked and awed if they improve the shooting aspects at all for Fallout 4.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I will be shocked and awed if they improve the shooting aspects at all for Fallout 4.

F4 will have sick pistol dual-wielding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

it will just be that your bullets always connect but you do extra damage when you level it up and at level 100 you get a cool special trick shot

• Locked thread