Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
Introducing Discourse 1.0
Jeff Atwood August 26, 2014

Today we are incrementing the version number of Discourse to 1.0.

We’ve been working on Discourse in public for about a year and a half now – since February 2013. Turns out that’s about how long it takes to herd an open source project from “hey, cool toy” to something that works for most online discussion communities.

It’s a bit like building an airplane in flight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7XW-mewUm8

Version numbers are arbitrary, yes, but V1 does signify something in public. We believe Discourse is now ready for wide public use.

That’s not to say Discourse can’t be improved – I have a mile-long list of things we still want to do. But products that are in perpetual beta are a cop-out. Eventually you have to ditch the crutch of the word “beta” and be brave enough to say, yes, we’re ready.

So that’s what we’re doing.

In working with the community, in working with our 3 initial partners, in working with our early customers, we’ve gained a lot of confidence that we’ve refined Discourse into something that is safe, complete, has all the rough edges smoothed, and is finally ready for use by everyone:

discourse.org

We’re also, at long last, unveiling our hosting service and install service:

discourse.org/buy

If you’re looking for a world class host to get started with Discourse, why not choose the people that know Discourse best?

As an open source project, we wouldn’t be where we are today without our community, so many thanks are in order:
  • Thanks most of all to the people who believed in Discourse enough to operate and maintain an active Discourse instance. You’re closest to the metal and we always, always highly prioritize your feedback.

• Thanks to our early customers who saw value in Discourse and were willing to take a leap of faith with us and help build a beta product. Money is the ultimate form of support, and it’s essential to the survival of the project. It’s also amazing how many things we learned when really digging into setups with our early customers.

• Thanks to everyone who participated on meta.discourse and provided feedback, reported bugs, or discussed features with us. Discourse is better because you spent the time with us to help improve it for everyone. We appreciate that.

• Thanks to our many contributors and collaborators who submitted pull requests to the Discourse project on GitHub. Any open source project is only as good as its contributors, and one of our continuing goals is to make it easier and easier to contribute to Discourse as we go.

• Thanks to everyone who used Discourse. Ultimately Discourse is a platform for having fun while communicating with your fellow human beings – building a simple, satisfying user experience has always been our number one priority. There’s no party when nobody shows up!

• We’ve come a long way, and we’ve worked hard to get here, but we still have a very long way to go. Here’s to the next 8½ years of our 10 year plan to raise the level of discourse on the web. Join us. We’d love to have you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
thanks everybody for contributing to a product I will now make money from - Jeff Snackwood

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

I wonder how many people bought his 150 dollar keyboard to work for free for hi

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

he fat.lol

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
sixcourse by jeff fatwood from snack overflow

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

remember when he posted here and asked for reasons why he was wrong but not trolls so tef (i think) wrote a pretty good post detailing why he was wrong (basically lol using software to enforce social actions never works) and he replied with 'no but' and stopped posting

and then jeff died when he got hit by a tram

PIGEOTO
Sep 11, 2007

wrap it up lowtax, SA is finished

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

raruler posted:

It’s a bit like building an airplane in flight.

See mom! i told you i was a real engineer

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

None of our current plans fit your budget? For a flat one-time fee, we can install Discourse in the cloud for you.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

its so difficult to install you can pay 99 bucks to avoid it

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

jony ive aces posted:

sixcourse by jeff fatwood from snack overflow

remember when he set up his site to back up to the same drive it was running from? and then the drive crashed so he lost his whole site and had to ask twitter to find cached images so he could reconstruct his blog?

i can't wait to use software written by this man!!

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

remember when he set up his site to back up to the same drive it was running from? and then the drive crashed so he lost his whole site and had to ask twitter to find cached images so he could reconstruct his blog?

i can't wait to use software written by this man!!

he didnt back it up to the same drive

he backed it up to the same vm

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

remember when he posted here and asked for reasons why he was wrong but not trolls so tef (i think) wrote a pretty good post detailing why he was wrong (basically lol using software to enforce social actions never works) and he replied with 'no but' and stopped posting

did this actually happen? I would buy archives to read this

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

and then everybody stood up and cheered

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

okay but what is discourse

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
looks like it would be incredibly lovely to use for a big forum

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
can't be worse than disqus

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The Management posted:

disqus forced me to select ten "areas of interest" before it would let me read stuff. obnoxious

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
wow can you imagine yospos on discourse. yospos 2.0: reloaded. so much better. i bet you can like posts and poo poo

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

El Generico posted:

looks like it would be incredibly lovely to use for a big forum

the minimum requirements are like 2 GB of ram

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.
what lovely programming language is this pile of poo poo written in

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

The Management posted:

disqus is like most commenting systems, it seems perfectly suited for situations where you'll have no more than 10 or so comments posted on an article or whatever. unfortunately it is frequently used on places that tend to get a couple hundred comments per article and is total poo poo at that rendering any attempt at actual discussion futile

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

power botton posted:

None of our current plans fit your budget? For a flat one-time fee, we can install Discourse in my butt for you.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

jeff fatwood posted:

Conversations, not pages

Why break conversations into awkward and arbitrary pages, where you have to constantly find the Next Page button?

We've replaced all that with the power of just-in-time loading. Want to read more? Keep scrolling down.

gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Plastic Snake posted:

probably node

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

Rip in peace.

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

Plastic Snake posted:

It was ruby and it was open source, but I guess it's not open anymore. It's no longer free as in freedom.

Edit: Oh wait it's still on github. Why is he charging $99 for install then...

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
jeff is a piece of poo poo huckster and plagiarist

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Plastic Snake posted:

ruby rails and javascript

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Careful Drums posted:

did this actually happen? I would buy archives to read this

yeah it was great.

bonus: google "jeff fatwood" (that's how I found the thread!)

e: oops that was the sequel thread. the first jeff fatwood threads were here and here. have some vintage tefposting

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 27, 2014

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

tef posted:

the good:

it's vbulletin with rounded corners and ajax. this is a good thing by comparison. he's tried to make a web app so slick as to not need native clients for reasonable functionality (real time updates, tracking read/unread). it also doesn't copy the broken hn/reddit comment model.

it is actually under a free enough license, and under active development, and has funding to keep it going for a bit.

the bad:

the api doesn't exist yet, and will likely be hard to retrofit to other forums, or be able to reply to a post somewhere else on another forum, or share identities, because of the way it uses host-specific id numbers, instead of things like urls.

it doesn't solve forum interoperability, beyond 'let me host all your forums i'll work it out'.

the ugly:

underneath it all is a role playing game, where you have to post, reply, get asinine responses, in the same way people game reddit, slashdot (and every other rotting corpse of a community), for attention.

i can't wait for him to realise how broken it gets by sockpuppets (yes, people will jump through all the hoops to do this, and unless you're doing a real trust metric, you're going to be owned by sybil attacks), and then to realize the problem with trust metrics, that trust really isn't that transitive in practice. just because i can trust some people not to be dickheads, they still have dickhead friends.

most likely, he will go the way of slashdot, and introduce a more complex system to game, in a cat and mouse game with the existing karma narcissists.

the backseat moderation features are everything metafilter and sa railed against.

moral:

if someone forks this and removes the gamification, tidies up the api, and makes it work in a browser, rather than a javascript sandbox, i'd consider running or using it.

you can't replace trust with an algorithmic pecking order. in forums like sa, this would mean gbs posters could moderate all the sub forums, being in the majority circlejerk doesn't make you a good poster.

I assume discourse 1.0 fixes all of these problems

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
https://twitter.com/codinghorror/status/319637002876231680

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I hope he responds to this thread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&username=codinghorror

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i added him to my buddy list, maybe he'll come back and talk to us :allears:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
sorry i mean, discourse with us

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

holy god wow

he didn't have the good sense to delete it. what the gently caress

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

the future of online discussion

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
fathole

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SO DEMANDING posted:

gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lol

• Locked thread