Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
hi

how are you. im fine too. welcome to the best apple products in 25 years*. but first a few words about friedrich nietzsche

i know most of us have read the original german version of his works but this is a party everyones invited to so im gonna quote wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_return posted:

Eternal return (also known as "eternal recurrence") is a concept that the universe has been recurring, and will continue to recur, in a self-similar form an infinite number of times across infinite time or space. The concept is found in Indian philosophy and in ancient Egypt and was subsequently taken up by the Pythagoreans and Stoics. With the decline of antiquity and the spread of Christianity, the concept fell into disuse in the Western world, with the exception of Friedrich Nietzsche, who connected the thought to many of his other concepts, including amor fati.

quote:

The thought of eternal recurrence appears in a few of his works, in particular §285 and §341 of The Gay Science and then in Thus Spoke Zarathustra. The most complete treatment of the subject appears in the work entitled Notes on the Eternal Recurrence, a work which was recently published alongside Søren Kierkegaard's own version of eternal return, which he calls 'repetition'. Nietzsche sums up his thought most succinctly when he addresses the reader with: "Everything has returned. Sirius, and the spider, and thy thoughts at this moment, and this last thought of thine that all things will return". However, he also expresses his thought at greater length, and perhaps in its finest form, when he says to his reader:

"Whoever thou mayest be, beloved stranger, whom I meet here for the first time, avail thyself of this happy hour and of the stillness around us, and above us, and let me tell thee something of the thought which has suddenly risen before me like a star which would fain shed down its rays upon thee and every one, as befits the nature of light. - Fellow man! Your whole life, like a sandglass, will always be reversed and will ever run out again, - a long minute of time will elapse until all those conditions out of which you were evolved return in the wheel of the cosmic process. And then you will find every pain and every pleasure, every friend and every enemy, every hope and every error, every blade of grass and every ray of sunshine once more, and the whole fabric of things which make up your life. This ring in which you are but a grain will glitter afresh forever. And in every one of these cycles of human life there will be one hour where, for the first time one man, and then many, will perceive the mighty thought of the eternal recurrence of all things:- and for mankind this is always the hour of Noon".[8]

1976. steve jobs pbuh built the first computer in history with his bare hands and founded apple inc. a string of successes. the lisa. the mac. 1985. mba and professional ceo john sculley thought steve was a nuisance apple didnt need. geniuses and numbers guys often clash.

steve was kicked out

the company was doing better than ever. system 7. the powerbook. looks like apple didnt need abrasive steve after all. it took a few years. then

the newton. the pippin. the apple digital camera. some hideous thing called the powercd

the 5.5 inch iphone. the iwatch. beats headphones. the 13 inch ipad

2012. tim cook kicks out scott forstall.

today the foundations of civilization are at steak. will jony and tim destroy 4000 years of philosophy by making these things actually own? or will nietzsche prevail and plunge us into a dark decade of ridiculous poo poo as we wait for scotts glorious return

What can everyone do? Praise and blame. This is human virtue, this is human madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
first post

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
well done as usual potay

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

poty posted:

today the foundations of civilization are a steak.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

i hope everyone starts booing when they show the huge iphones

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

time is a flat circle, op

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

same.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

poty posted:

i really hope they have three models of new phone and don't just leave the 5S around as a consolation to people with good taste

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

hi it's vince with app.chop

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
when is it

poty
Jun 21, 2008

iphone 6. we really iphoned this one in

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Just a hair under 24 hours. Add it to your calendar :)

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

cool thanks :) I think I'm busy all day though

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

cool thanks :) I think I'm busy all day though

we thought long and hard about big phones. and we realized, they're not bad. they're actually good.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

poty posted:

me too

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I dont want a big phone

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

we thought long and hard about big phones. and we realized, they're not bad. they're actually good.

return this opinion to the dumpster in which you found it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have solid meetings through the keynote so you'll have to :justpost: without me :(

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
ereader

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I get so excited I almost spill my beer

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it would be funny if this was the keynote they finally announced the apple television

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
give me the biggest phone you have tim, tv sized if you must. i'm ready to carry a 100kg mobile telephone around.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

qirex posted:

it would be funny if this was the keynote they finally announced the apple television

'announcing the new iphone' *phil wheels a tv onto the stage*

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

(grinning manically)

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Metrication posted:

'announcing the new iphone' *phil wheels a tv onto the stage*

lol

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:
i am not looking forward to a big phone please apple dont make them all big phones

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

i am not looking forward to a big phone please apple dont make them all big phones

they're probably going to keep selling the 5S as-is instead of putting new guts in a 5S case :(

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Metrication posted:

give me the biggest phone you have tim, tv sized if you must. i'm ready to carry a 100kg mobile telephone around.

ur already carrying an extra 100kg around :frog:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

qirex posted:

that's the october keynote

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

qirex posted:

ty for not using the abbreviation "tv" for television

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it would be profoundly funny if all the "leaks" were fake or bootleg but that's probably not the case :(

Kenny Logins posted:

ty for not using the abbreviation "tv" for television

yw, I was trying to avoid confusion with the apple tv streaming device

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i really hope that apple doesn't introduce a wearable device

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

or if they do that it's something completely unexpected and new

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

duTrieux. posted:

i really hope that apple doesn't introduce a wearable device
hoping against hope buddy

duTrieux. posted:

or if they do that it's something completely unexpected and new
i guess i could settle for this tho

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
ianklet

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

smartskulls, full-skull replacements