Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

We already had a Metroid-only thread so we should have a Castlevania-only thread too, dig?

Required: Replay Circle of the Moon and think over how good it is, and how it's one of the best launch titles, pretty much ever.

Anyway post about Castlevania in here and try not to fellate SotN too hard fellas

Ka0 posted:

your posts are as empty as your soul.

Ka0 posted:

perhaps the same could be said of all games

Heavy Lobster fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Sep 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
nothing gets a thread going like controversial statements, so:

portrait of ruin is the best of the DS games and one of the best castlevania games ever. if you disagree you're a big dumb idiot baby

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
Castlevania has dumb and bad jumping mechanics.

When you think about it, it was probably one of the first signs that realism doesn't make a game better.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

darealkooky posted:

portrait of ruin is the best of the DS games and one of the best castlevania games ever. if you disagree you're a big dumb idiot baby

Portrait of Ruin was great and I don't understand the hate for it, although I still have never played Ecclesia and I'm kind of residually pissed off at Dawn of Sorrow for adopting the poo poo-awful anime blob style when Aria of Sorrow had the way too dope gothic/FF concept art look going for it.

psymonkey posted:

Castlevania has dumb and bad jumping mechanics.

When you think about it, it was probably one of the first signs that realism doesn't make a game better.

Going back and playing the original Castlevania is a chore, and is something that people should only do if they want to be a video game historian or whatever.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

darealkooky posted:

sisters mode is more fun than the base game

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
whatever the one on gba was that had gotta catch em all type poo poo was p cool

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

darealkooky posted:

This is true tho

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Oh wait I was thinking harmony of dissonance

Portrait of ruin is still good tho

The new ones fhcking suck

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
circle of the moon is good and i really liked the luck mode that game had.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

the handheld castlevanias were really loving good. circle of the moon, the sorrow games, portrait of ruin and order of ecclesia were extremely my poo poo.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
ecclesia is my favorite

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
super castlevania iv is really good. its the most genuinely gloomy looking game in the series. the analog whip is super fun and useful. there's a secret room under the ghost wedding where there is a ghost hobo and his dog and if you kill the dog the hobo cries for a while and fades from existence.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
is there a good castlevania yet for the best console of the generation aka nintendo 3ds?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

order of ecclesia is my favorite video game. best hard mode and best bosses.

Miltank posted:

is there a good castlevania yet for the best console of the generation aka nintendo 3ds?

no there's a really bad one though.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Heavy Lobster posted:

Portrait of Ruin was great and I don't understand the hate for it, although I still have never played Ecclesia and I'm kind of residually pissed off at Dawn of Sorrow for adopting the poo poo-awful anime blob style when Aria of Sorrow had the way too dope gothic/FF concept art look going for it.

PoR doesn't utilize its two-protagonist gimmick in any cool ways. ok thats not true. there is one, and thats when you fight the egyptian queen boss, and she will seduce jonathan. the castle is one of the worst in the series, with item progression being very bad. you get the turn into bat ability, and five minutes later get rocket jump ability. the enemy placement is very nonsensical, with jellyfish flying around the bakery.

its not bad, just not as good as the other handheld ones (probably better than aria, but I freaking hated aria!!)

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

harmony of dissonacne is my fav. the castle is extremely cool, and soshiro hokkai is... o_O;;; masterful

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

GulagDolls posted:

harmony of dissonacne is my fav. the castle is extremely cool, and soshiro hokkai is... o_O;;; masterful

Harmony of Dissonance is truly underrated

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

GulagDolls posted:

its not bad, just not as good as the other handheld ones (probably better than aria, but I freaking hated aria!!)

:eyepop:

qnqnx posted:

Harmony of Dissonance is truly underrated

This is true though. It's a pain in the dick to navigate because it's the worst about backtracking, the character sprites are a little too big so not enough fits on the screen at any given time, and I felt like it was trying way too hard to be SotN, but on the other hand it's actually a really great game in spite of all these things, which is a pretty big testament to it really.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
kill enemy gain its power is the best gameplay mechanic in gaming and aria/dawn/ecclesia scratch that itch well

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Heavy Lobster posted:

This is true though. It's a pain in the dick to navigate because it's the worst about backtracking, the character sprites are a little too big so not enough fits on the screen at any given time, and I felt like it was trying way too hard to be SotN, but on the other hand it's actually a really great game in spite of all these things, which is a pretty big testament to it really.

sorry, i made a typo. I meant to write dawn of sorrow. aria is great. dawn of sorrow made me Very Mad.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
I like The Last Of Us and Bioshock.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

darealkooky posted:

This but earnestly

phobo
Aug 7, 2008
Has there ever been a good 3D castlevania? It seems like all the 2D ones are decent and the 3D ones are dog poo poo.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Circle of the Moon never gets enough love

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

phobo posted:

Has there ever been a good 3D castlevania? It seems like all the 2D ones are decent and the 3D ones are dog poo poo.

no

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

Widestancer posted:

Circle of the Moon never gets enough love

Circle of the Moon sucked rear end! gently caress you CApcom! THis was the only game I had for the GBA when I first got one and it sucked dick!!

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Hoodrich posted:

Circle of the Moon sucked rear end! gently caress you CApcom! THis was the only game I had for the GBA when I first got one and it sucked dick!!

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

phobo posted:

all the 2D ones are decent and the 3D ones are dog poo poo.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Hoodrich posted:

As someone who went with the Rayman port at launch because I was young and worried that my parents would think I was getting into Satanism or w/e if I got Castlevania (which was really my first choice) I wanna say: check your privilege, please.

GulagDolls posted:

sorry, i made a typo. I meant to write dawn of sorrow. aria is great. dawn of sorrow made me Very Mad.

okay good

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

GulagDolls posted:

PoR doesn't utilize its two-protagonist gimmick in any cool ways. ok thats not true. there is one, and thats when you fight the egyptian queen boss, and she will seduce jonathan. the castle is one of the worst in the series, with item progression being very bad. you get the turn into bat ability, and five minutes later get rocket jump ability. the enemy placement is very nonsensical, with jellyfish flying around the bakery.

cool ways they use the two character gimmick:

- being able to cancel all sorts of poo poo by tagging into the other dude and do mlg combos
- having two characters out on screen at once to fight dudes with, you can even move them with the touchscreen so they aren't just standing behind you mashing attack constantly
- balancing the game around exploiting weaknesses/using specific moves like an old school castlevania game without you needing to go into the menu every five goddamn seconds (instead you just swap dudes and menu every 30 seconds or so)
- charlotte regens MP way faster but jonathan has more defence so you will get killed in 5 hits instead of 4 or 3

the castle has sucked rear end in every metroidvania besides sotn, at least the castle in POR has actual enemy/level design instead of being really flat hallways where you murder monsters endlessly. also it's actually arranged the way a castle would logically and I think that's a neat touch.

the item progression actually owns really hard because with two characters the game is constantly giving you new slightly better poo poo for them at double the rate you normally get gear, which releases the same endorphins in your brain that made diablo such a classic. your example with the rocket jump isn't a problem because rocket jump is semi-hidden and not even in the same general area as where you get the bat transformation. also it only works for jonathan while the owl works for either character and lets you go into small gaps.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

Doctor Goat posted:

ecclesia is my favorite

Mine too.

phobo
Aug 7, 2008

thank you. I almost bought a 3D castlevania once i'm glad i didn't

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

swamp waste posted:

super castlevania iv is really good. its the most genuinely gloomy looking game in the series. the analog whip is super fun and useful. there's a secret room under the ghost wedding where there is a ghost hobo and his dog and if you kill the dog the hobo cries for a while and fades from existence.

Yeah, not only does it have the 2nd best soundtrack on the SNES, I love SCIV for being the most classic gothic horror game in the series before it went the anime route.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Who wants to talk about some bad rear end indie Games.

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

Ragg posted:

Who wants to talk about some bad rear end indie Games.

Agreed, all indie games are bad and rear end.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

darealkooky posted:

- being able to cancel all sorts of poo poo by tagging into the other dude and do mlg combos
- having two characters out on screen at once to fight dudes with, you can even move them with the touchscreen so they aren't just standing behind you mashing attack constantly
- balancing the game around exploiting weaknesses/using specific moves like an old school castlevania game without you needing to go into the menu every five goddamn seconds (instead you just swap dudes and menu every 30 seconds or so)
- charlotte regens MP way faster but jonathan has more defence so you will get killed in 5 hits instead of 4 or 3

the castle has sucked rear end in every metroidvania besides sotn, at least the castle in POR has actual enemy/level design instead of being really flat hallways where you murder monsters endlessly. also it's actually arranged the way a castle would logically and I think that's a neat touch.

the item progression actually owns really hard because with two characters the game is constantly giving you new slightly better poo poo for them at double the rate you normally get gear, which releases the same endorphins in your brain that made diablo such a classic. your example with the rocket jump isn't a problem because rocket jump is semi-hidden and not even in the same general area as where you get the bat transformation. also it only works for jonathan while the owl works for either character and lets you go into small gaps.

i agree with the sentiment that the maps are lacking. super metroid did a fantastic job of making each of its major areas feel unique and different and i don't think any of the metroid-style castlevanias hold a candle to it in that regard.

like, when you first enter the wrecked ship in SM it's a definite "holy poo poo this area is way different than the other places i've been so far". the castlevanias never really gave me many moments like that.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

You like Castlevania, don't you, Imp Zone?
_________________________________/

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

darealkooky posted:

i dont consider move canceling to be cool or neat, since you can do it with one character, and has been present in every metroidvania. having two characters out at once was more of a liability than anything, and unnecessary at best, since you can just murder everything with spells. if i ever did want to exploit enemy weakness, i usually found i had to go into the menu anyway, since invariably i had wrong thing equipped, but this isn't unique to the two-character gimmick since, in OoE, shanoa can have three different sets of glyphs equipped that can be swapped real fast, making her even more versatile than jonathan and charlotte!!
charlotte having faster mp regen and jonathan having more defense is basically the same as having two pieces of armor, one that applies mp regeneration and one that is just pure defense. its not really an interesting application of the two player idea, to me.

intelligently placed enemies is kind of a non-issue since castlevania games are very easy, but i don't recall it being employed in PoR. i remember one part where there arej ust, 5000 axe armors in one room, all within one foot of another. i was more speaking of art/music

aaaa! my home!!!

i meant 'skill item'. i dont care about equipments. the game is over once you get nebula, anyway. speaking of skills, you get the cube that lets you push green blocks, and then a cube that lets you push even BIGGEr block, i thought game would end with jonathan and charlotte getting more and more cubes until they eventually pushed dracula's castle off a cliff

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

alucard: this castle is a creature of chaos, and also, a very logical castle that is arranged like a real castle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I don't think HoD's music is bad, it only needed better instruments and sound quality. A lot of compositions were very good and catchy.

I love portrait of Ruin a lot, both characters are cool to play as and you can beat Richter by slapping pie on his face. That room with two "The Creature" in the nest of evil can eat a thousand dicks however.

• Locked thread