Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which NBA team could UK probably beat?
This poll is closed.
Lakers 7 10.14%
Sixers 11 15.94%
Nuggets 1 1.45%
None of them, this is the stupidest ESPN meme ever 50 72.46%
Total: 63 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Welcome to the 2014-2015 NCAA basketball season.

AP Rankings posted:

1 Kentucky (52)
2 Arizona (5)
3 Wisconsin (8)
4 Duke
5 Kansas
6 North Carolina
7 Florida 36-3
8 Louisville
9 Virginia
10 Texas
11 Wichita St
12 Villanova
13 Gonzaga
14 Iowa State
15 VCU
16 San Diego St
17 Connecticut
18 Michigan St
19 Oklahoma
20 Ohio State
21 Nebraska
22 SMU
23 Syracuse
24 Michigan
25 Harvard(?)
25 Utah

Possible games to watch

Kansas v. Kentucky (Champions Classic) Nov. 18
Michigan State v. Duke (Champions Classic) Nov. 18
Utah v. SDSU (Maui Invitational) Nov. 18
Texas v. Iowa Nov. 20
Missouri v. Arizona Nov. 24
Oregon v. Michigan Nov. 24
Villanova v. VCU (Progressive Legends) Nov. 24
Georgetown v. Florida Nov. 26
Texas v. Connecticut Nov. 30

Get excited.

Probably Magic fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I'm so happy basketball is here. It's like the early Christmas present that comes every year.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Probably Magic posted:

Possible games to watch

Michigan v. State (Champions Classic) Nov. 18
Texas v. Iowa Nov. 20

Get excited.
I didn't realize that Generic Teams were playing in DI this year.

I'm assuming that's supposed to be Michigan State vs. Duke.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

vikingstrike posted:

I'm so happy basketball is here. It's like the early Christmas present that comes every year.

Who's ready to watch WVU cornhole Monmouth!?!

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000

Probably Magic posted:

Possible games to watch

Michigan v. State (Champions Classic) Nov. 18
Texas v. Iowa Nov. 20

Get excited.

SMU @ Indiana should be better than the average November game. 11/20.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Henchman of Santa posted:

lol i miss ea's basketball game

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Are we gonna have a GDT? I can make a quick and dirty one if nobody else wants to.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Can't wait for UW to let South Carolina St. hang around for the whole game and possibly trailing before squeezing out a 62-58 fart win.

Go Dawgs

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Daily Collegian ran some article about Penn State pulling a legit recruiting class for next year.

Is that any true?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Yeah, well, gotta fill out that 128-team tourney somehow. Here's a copy of state's jerseys, by the way.

Fixed, I'm a dumbass

And yeah, someone throw up a GDT. Like, vomit it out.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

done: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681378

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Northwestern basketball: probably better than Rutgers

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Washington gets a comfortable win over SCSU, as expected. Perimeter shooting remains a glaring weakness and will be our undoing in real games, but Kemp looks healthy and Upshaw had some sick blocks. Good opener, all things considered.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I was unable to see it but apparently Michigan State almost lost to Navy.

Also a Southern Utah player tried to go for the transition slam and got wiped off the face of the earth: http://deadspin.com/things-went-ver...dium=socialflow

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Also a Southern Utah player tried to go for the transition slam and got wiped off the face of the earth: http://deadspin.com/things-went-ver...dium=socialflow

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee emaw y'all.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
UNLV used Imagine Dragons tonight to try and woo Stephen Zimmerman

They also used a close game that kept the Thomas & Mack loud

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!
N: Mizzou lost to... UMKC??

V: How???

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Basil Hayden posted:

:vince:
This is awesome. I just started attending UMKC this year, I'm hoping to make it to a couple games on the cheap.

stump collector fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 15, 2014

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Basil Hayden posted:

I had completely forgotten they poo poo canned Frank Haith let him accept another job and hired the dude from Central Mizzourah

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 15, 2014

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

exethan posted:

:vince:
This is awesome. I just started attending UMKC this year, I'm hoping to make it to a couple games on the cheap.

I'd imagine that'll be pretty easy, do they still play home games at Municipal Auditorium?

Yeah not a good start for Anderson but they did lose basically all the scoring from a not very good team last year. I think everyone's expecting this year to be pretty ugly, but drat you don't want it to be ugly enough to where you're losing to UMKC.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

DOOP posted:

The Daily Collegian ran some article about Penn State pulling a legit recruiting class for next year.

Is that any true?

Yes. PSU has two four-star kids in its upcoming class which probably makes this Penn State's best class ever. It won't end up the best in the league or close to it but Penn State will finish higher in the recruiting rankings than they ever have.

As far as Indiana they hit a loving ton of shots and it felt so good to see after last year, James Blackmon Jr plays like a senior, can't wait til Troy and Stan get back

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa beat Hampton by a shitload of points because Hampton. Aaron White and Jarrod Uthoff looked go-er, played very well

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Grittybeard posted:

I'd imagine that'll be pretty easy, do they still play home games at Municipal Auditorium?

Yeah not a good start for Anderson but they did lose basically all the scoring from a not very good team last year. I think everyone's expecting this year to be pretty ugly, but drat you don't want it to be ugly enough to where you're losing to UMKC.

Did Deuce Bello get hurt? It looks like he didn't play at all. Anyways, I'm still not sold on the Anderson hire and think Mizzou will come to regret it in a way that is different from the Haith hire.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Apparently he played 7 minutes, got two rebounds and turned the ball over twice. I didn't see anything about him getting hurt so maybe that pissed Anderson off or maybe he just isn't very high in the rotation for whatever reason, who knows?

And yeah other than the homer set who'll get excited about anything and the older Norm folks who wanted him years ago I think most people aren't sold on Kim Anderson. I doubt it'll work out but barring some major scandal we're stuck with him for at least 3 or 4 years, might as well hope the other guys on the staff recruit and he can do something with the talent.

TheBandOffice
Nov 4, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

If you're a student you get into UMKC games for free. They're played at Muni again starting with last year's season. A few games are also on campus in Swinney.

Basil Hayden posted:

Martez Harrison.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Austin Hatch was able to log regular season minutes at the end of Michigans 92-62 win over Hillsdale.

LeVert went 21-9-8, Walton went 22 with 4 assists and Irvin had 20 points. Michigan shot 11-19 from three.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Man, I can't believe USC lost a game where they out-shot their opponent by 15% and out-rebounded them by 18. I guess thats what happened when you turn it over 20 times more :saddowns:

PWI
Jun 1, 2006

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fisticuffs posted:

Yes. PSU has two four-star kids in its upcoming class which probably makes this Penn State's best class ever. It won't end up the best in the league or close to it but Penn State will finish higher in the recruiting rankings than they ever have.

As far as Indiana they hit a loving ton of shots and it felt so good to see after last year, James Blackmon Jr plays like a senior, can't wait til Troy and Stan get back

I was working during the game. Has their defense improved at all?

Also hoping Blackmon playing well will shut up all the old timers who don't realize recruiting has changed about how Crean doesn't recruit in-state enough. Seriously every goddamn day I have to listen to this.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Indiana has produced a ton of talent and Crean has gotten some pretty good guys out of Indiana. Indiana has never dominated the talent pool in-state, so I'm not sure where those complaints come from. I guess we missed on all the McD AAs out of Indiana in 2013 but we did get some solid players out of Indiana in that class.

Defensively, they rebounded well but allowed a lot of dribble penetration. I think that'll be cleaned up some when Stanford and Williams return - this lineup was even younger than we'll be this season. They did do a good job of playing the game and not the score. We went into halftime with a big lead and expanded it throughout the 2nd. I really like Max and Etherington long term but they'll be pretty far down the bench when Troy, Robinson, and Holt get back. The defense was good overall but the opponent was very bad and small so the encouraging rebounding numbers should be taken with a grain of salt or a thousand.

Blackmon is pretty loving sick even with something of a loose dribble. Johnson on the other hand is a pretty talented passer already. When we add the slashing of Williams and Robinson back to this group it should be pretty versatile and the entire core should be back next season. I think the offense will be very good this year and will only get better.

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000

Fisticuffs posted:

I really like Max and Etherington

Uhhh....

PWI
Jun 1, 2006

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mobius posted:

Uhhh....

Probably meant Priller

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Who's hype for more bas basketball? I AM

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Lol I meant Hartman but pretty much

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

The Glumslinger posted:

Man, I can't believe USC lost a game where they out-shot their opponent by 15% and out-rebounded them by 18. I guess thats what happened when you turn it over 20 times more :saddowns:

Portland State is Real Bad too

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

What the hell is Kentucky doing? This is not the super team I was promised.

Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

You mean I have to go to Philly?

tadashi posted:

What the hell is Kentucky doing? This is not the super team I was promised.

The platoon is a dumb gimmick and UK won't hit it's potential until they scrap it and run a traditional rotation.

There, been wanting to say that for months.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Like a lot of things Cal does the platoon thing seems less like good basketball strategy and more like a way to appeal to recruits (don't worry everyone will play!!)

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 17, 2014

Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

You mean I have to go to Philly?
I mean, he'll switch it up eventually, Calipari is really good at adjusting his strategy to fit his teams even late in the season. It's just frustrating because he loves to tinker and try out stuff we all know isn't optimal (platoon), but he's earned the right, I guess.

Also side rant, please move Poythress to the 4 already. I get that you want him to learn to play the 3 because it would improve his draft stock, but it's not gonna happen. He's too unskilled and he's a really good garbage man/energy PF, so let him play to his strengths Cal.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
He's already said he will evaluate it sometime during the OOC schedule, so it's going to be coming to an end in the next few weeks. It's a way for all the players to get their shot and be happy while he picks the 6-7 he really wants to play all game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Rams championship aspirations on track after one game

oooo wah oooo

• Locked thread