Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
As previously announced, cloud services support for webOS devices will be ending on January 15, 2015. We appreciate our customers’ loyalty the webOS platform. But now, more than three (3) years after the last device was sold, only a small fraction of the devices are still connecting. Therefore, the time has come to shut down the services.

All devices running webOS devices will continue to run after the cloud services are terminated. However, they will no longer be able to:

• Download new apps or updates. The HP App Catalog will be unavailable after the shutdown
• Backup or restore devices from the cloud
• Setup new devices
• Recover lost passwords

What this means to you:

• The HP App Catalog no longer supports new app purchases as of November 1, 2014.
• Updates may have been posted by developers until November 10, 2014 and users can download any available updates until the services shut down
• You should make arrangements to backup or transfer your contacts, etc.prior to the service shutdown on January 15, 2015
• You will no longer be able to backup, restore, reset or initialize a webOS device as of January 15, 2015.

There will be additional reminders as the final shutdown approaches. An FAQ can be found at https://developer.palm.com/content/resources/develop/faq.html

Timeline
• 10/15/14 Announcement to users and developers COMPLETE
• 11/1/14 New app purchases end COMPLETE
• 11/10/14 App update submissions end
• 1/15/15 Public shutdown of services

HP webOS Cloud Services

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
:twisted:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
bump

pram
Jun 10, 2001
mod sticky pls

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
TY

this is important information for all users of Palm's amazing WebOS devices.

rotor, please do something.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
up u go little thread

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
RIP Good buddy, I'll c u at tha crossroads

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

but what will you do when you realize the pixie is the phone you wanted all along, you take it out of the junk drawer, turn it on, hit the first run screen and it won't activate.

it's dead, killed by hp's greed and short sightedness

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
is their web service called webAWS?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

how am i going to keep my touchpad in a state of perfect stasis lest anything happen to it that might require a reset?

it's an existential crisis. if i use it it may die forever but the only alternative is to never touch it again

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

honestly though this doesn't even affect people who use Palm devices that much. no one uses the App Store, everyone uses preware, and all the devices are activated already. the cloud backup will be missed but not a big deal.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

infernal machines posted:

how am i going to keep my touchpad in a state of perfect stasis lest anything happen to it that might require a reset?

it's an existential crisis. if i use it it may die forever but the only alternative is to never touch it again

I've never had to reset any of my webos to factory ever

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i've used the devmode but somehow never installed preware, i should probably do that

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

is their web service called webAWS?

xD

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

actually you can activate webos devices with webos doctor so meh

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

pram posted:

mod sticky pls

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:pram:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

pram posted:

mod sticky pls

with the deahth of webos i think our mod is anything but sticky

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

rotor posted:

actually you can activate webos devices with webos doctor so meh

you mean my gimmicky thread was all for naught?

then why does hp keep sending me these stupid emails?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

you mean my gimmicky thread was all for naught?

then why does hp keep sending me these stupid emails?

well no cloud backup does kinda suck

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

rotor posted:

well no cloud backup does kinda suck

i have never knowingly used this service. i'm not sure what i'd need to back up, the thing is basically just an erader at this point since the browser shits itself inside out at the first hint of any modern javascript

in fact the only reason i'm aware that i have a webos account it hp keeps telling me that i will soon no longer have a webos account.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if you get another palm device you could log in with your account and it would get all your settings and install all your apps and stuff, which was nice for me but I understand how it might not be so useful for others

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

honeypot thread

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

setting up a palm device in tyool 2014 lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
bump

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Frank Herbert posted:

"What's the purpose of these journals?"
"An Ixian machine records them. They are to be found on a faraway day. They will make people think."
"An Ixian machine? You defy the Jihad!"
"There's a lesson in that, too. What do such machines really do? They increase the number of things we can do without thinking. Things we do without thinking---there's the real danger. Look at how long you walked across this desert without thinking about your face mask."

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the spice

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

it extends life expands posts

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

theadder posted:

setting up a palm device in tyool 2014 lol

just got a zire going in win8 for a lawyer who had an iphone6big and carried both because didnt want to give up the palm calender

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

it's pretty hosed up how every electronics device sold today depends on a constant connection to a service that will be shut down the instant it becomes unprofitable

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

for more information please visit defective by design dot org

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

the browser shits itself inside out at the first hint of any modern javascript

kinda ironic considering that webos was supposed to save palm by replacing all that old java code with modern javascript

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

they only needed the rendering engine but they got the whole browser

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

pour out a digital 40 on the e-curb

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

As a Millennial I posted:

it's pretty hosed up how every electronics device sold today depends on a constant connection to a service that will be shut down the instant it becomes unprofitable

but webos doesn't depend on the cloud services?? there's nothing it can't do without them other than constant cloud backups.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

rotor posted:

but webos doesn't depend on the cloud services?? there's nothing it can't do without them other than constant cloud backups.

webos also isn't sold today

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

As a Millennial I posted:

webos also isn't sold today

iunno, I bought a pre3 a few months ago

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i just think it's hosed up that my sim-less iphone 4 became a shiny brick when i factory reset it

you look it up online and people are like oh yeah, you just have to put a sim card in it to fix it

like that's a satisfactory answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

rotor posted:

does it need cloud service to activate

• Locked thread