Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Suspicious Dish fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Robust Laser is a giant Neopets nerd! Look for his posts showing off that he was an extremely shameful 90s kid! Youch!

Mr. Soop exposes the RAW TRUTH behind the Ellis Family Farm. Turns out it's all a set for the new Neopets tie-in romcom show, coming late 2015 to Hallmark Channel.

corn in the bible shows us another great video game! Neopets: Petpet Adventures: The Wand of Wishing. Thanks, buddy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6P3mWib61M

CapitanGarlic loves the hot memes and catchphrases! Haha, Instant Grat is a crotchety old jerk getting mad at the kids with their fancy words and their dubstep! Why do we even invite him???

Melaneus gives a sneak preview of his course on how to annoy woman and push them away instantly! Learn more and sign up for the full lesson at seductionscience.com!
(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Tin Tim shows us how to deal with a mangy lupe!

Suspicious Dish shows his BFFs how much they mean to him, and in response, discovers a hard truth about life...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clHiu9NUDJo

Putty comes from 9gag to share the love! I'm glad our new viewership strategy is paying off!

Suspicious Dish fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Oct 20, 2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
NEW EPISODE: I. Family

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I like this

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!
I understood pretty much every word in this video.

using my incredible knowledge of neopets i could be That Guy what talks about all sorts of things that nobody cares about. Except I feel like that might make me die a little inside. Correcting people about Neopets just might be the saddest possible thing I could think of me being able to do.

Robust Laser fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Dec 27, 2014

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

This is art.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

A loaf of bread costing a million Neopoints?

If I remember my time with the game correctly, that really does sound about right.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Robust Laser posted:

I understood pretty much every word in this video.

using my incredible knowledge of neopets i could be That Guy what talks about all sorts of things that nobody cares about. Except I feel like that might make me die a little inside. Correcting people about Neopets just might be the saddest possible thing I could think of me being able to do.

Do it. Dooo it.
Everything in your life was building up to this. Every misstep you made brought you one step closer. This is why you exists.
You can't escape your destiny.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I haven't watched a single video and I already love this.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Links to a Creed song? I'm so confused.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

What do you think they did to get that baby to dance???

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
If I recall correctly, there's even a second level of pet recursion and petpets can have pets, and by that I mean you spend millions of neopoints to give the little bugger parasites. It's like the Pokerus except it does nothing.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

...well those are some creepy looking jaundiced dog people.

Innovacious
Jun 27, 2012

Drink Lucozade to keep your energy maintained!
When the neopets website came online in '99 I was a just turned 12 cool and edgy male so I dismissed it as a dumb game for babies who think cute stuff is cool and play pokemon. I feel like a missed a lot of internet culture because of it though.

I think this thread is going to be a good learning experience for me.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Innovacious posted:

When the neopets website came online in '99 I was a just turned 12 cool and edgy male so I dismissed it as a dumb game for babies who think cute stuff is cool and play pokemon. I feel like a missed a lot of internet culture because of it though.

No, you were right.

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

Air is lava! posted:

Do it. Dooo it.
Everything in your life was building up to this. Every misstep you made brought you one step closer. This is why you exists.
You can't escape your destiny.

I hate that you're pretty much right.

So that blue guy, the beggar, is a Techo. More like a lizard than a frog, really.

Nah, if you're lookin' for a frog, you're looking for a Quiggle

nobody likes quiggles

As for the bandits... I have no clue. Darrick is maybe a Wocky? And Sid looks like absolutely nothing I've ever seen.Maybe a Skeith? Although those have ears and wings and a tail so, I mean. There aren't many things that lack all of those. So based on this, he is obviously a Nimmo.

nobody likes nimmos

D_W posted:

...well those are some creepy looking jaundiced dog people.
Also I never really realized this about Lupes before and I had to check.

Sure does. I never knew this before because lupes are boring and i never gave a poo poo about them

Innovacious posted:

Oh, it's still a dumb game for babies, it's just that plenty of those dumb babies grew up and continued to play it, and get really really mad at them for everything they do wrong. Which is apparently a lot, all the time, forever.

Actually they had a kinda neat murder mystery once. It featured the staff of the site getting offed one by one. At first it was just all chalk-lines where the corpses would be but then after they realized they couldn't put chalk-lines in the swimming pool I guess they stopped that.

That was back when it was run by the people who made the site and would not fly with Viacom/Jumpstart/whoever runs the site these days.
Actually jeez that was 2001. Practically a whole different site, from even when this game came out. Lessee, Darkest Faerie came out in 05, and Viacom bought Neopets in the same year, a few months earlier.

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."
Fun fact: Neopets was/is basically run by Scientologists. The connections go pretty deep; the main villain is a psychiatrist stand-in, .

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
The most important question: How do we donate Neopoints to you?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Sinking Ship posted:

Suspicious Dish posted:

I don't see anything wrong here. :confused:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Ah, Neopets. Never really looked at the site during its heyday; I imagine I was busy either getting suckered in by the similar and probably equally as terrible Gaia Online, or playing AdventureQuest / DragonFable. :v:

I swear I watched a review for this game years ago, so might as well see how this goes. Looking surprisingly not awful so far!

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I had never wanted to have anything to do with Neopets (and still don't, frankly), but when this game hit the bargain bin at Best Buy, I went ahead and picked it up. It was surprisingly fun, and I got somewhere into act 3 before the difficulty got to be more than I wanted to handle and I stopped playing. I should probably try to finish it soon.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Sinking Ship posted:

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Oh man I am already excited.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

For some reason for a second there I thought I clicked on a link that led to a really bad retro Geocities page.

Robust Laser posted:

Actually they had a kinda neat murder mystery once. It featured the staff of the site getting offed one by one. At first it was just all chalk-lines where the corpses would be but then after they realized they couldn't put chalk-lines in the swimming pool I guess they stopped that.

That was back when it was run by the people who made the site and would not fly with Viacom/Jumpstart/whoever runs the site these days.
Actually jeez that was 2001. Practically a whole different site, from even when this game came out. Lessee, Darkest Faerie came out in 05, and Viacom bought Neopets in the same year, a few months earlier.
I remember the contest from way back then. It was pretty amusing, but it was also very predictable. VERY.

Whenever someone spoke in the series, they were the next ones killed. I believe the winner of the contest was someone that barely spoke and didn't stand out at all until the very end when she was up against the murderer.

Ahh, good ol' times.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Hello, friends

Graceful Graveler
May 18, 2009
I really wanted this game when I was a kid. It looks like something I would have liked even looking at it now, and that scares me a little.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
This game is triggering some memories I thought I had completely suppressed about my early teens.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
Sid The Vicious? Lord, this is already off to a good start. :cripes:

I am however pretty down with the story of this game being a journey to peddle meth.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mr. Soop posted:

I am however pretty down with the story of this game being a journey to peddle meth.

So this is meth that glows blue from Cherenkov radiation?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Mr. Soop posted:

Sid The Vicious? Lord, this is already off to a good start. :cripes:

It's bromine, you boron :catstare:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
This is nothing like Dark Souls :( I was lied to once again by Suspicious Dish.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Zain posted:

This is nothing like Dark Souls :( I was lied to once again by Suspicious Dish.

weren't you at least a little suspicious

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Zain posted:

This is nothing like Dark Souls :(

You're right, it's a lot better

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Great Joe posted:

It's bromine, you boron :catstare:

The image generator didn't want furries associated with the Breaking Bad canon, apparently. :v:

That or they'll just have to iron out that kink. Guess you'll just have to grin and barium it. No need to be sulfurious over it. :smugbert:

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
this is kind of strange!

also, why the gently caress didn't they go for a wind waker-ish graphical style instead of this abortion?

Hiveminded fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 27, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Hiveminded posted:

this is kind of strange!

also, why the gently caress didn't they go for a wind waker-ish graphical style instead of this abortion?

It turns out it's actually harder to do good cel-shading than it is to just use default (e.g. phong) shading. And bad cel-shading looks atrocious.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

What's all this, then?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

What's all this, then?

:rolleye:

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
This game is not dark souls, this is way better. I am excited for this LP. I found neopets on a referral link on angelfire in 1999 or 2000, so OP is bringing back some memories. Memories of bad flash games, lying about your age to make forum accounts and my favorite: one of the original neopets was Macy Gray

The site was all down hill from there.

I found my old neopets account. (Well my second one where I properly lied about my age) I knew it was bad, I made it when I was 10 and super into anime, but its really bad. I want to punch 10 year old me, and I am an adult watching someone play a ps2 era neopets game. I may share it later if I can remember my password from the year 2000. But basically it is what you would expect of a 10-12 year old who watched toonami and played neopets each day.

I think in 2002 or 2003 I had enough real video games that I stopped. I apparently was on long enough for the medieval themed place to appear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Robust Laser posted:

As for the bandits... I have no clue. Darrick is maybe a Wocky? And Sid looks like absolutely nothing I've ever seen.Maybe a Skeith? Although those have ears and wings and a tail so, I mean. There aren't many things that lack all of those. So based on this, he is obviously a Nimmo.

nobody likes nimmos

According to a random google search of the characters names I found a site that says Drub and Darrick are both Wockies and Sid is in fact a Skeith. I guess he hides his ears under his bandana or something.

• Locked thread