Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I imagine it's been brought up in the various relevant Games/MMO threads, but this seems like it needs a thread of its own.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/2/7964263/sony-online-entertainment-sold-daybreak

quote:

Sony Online Entertainment has been acquired from Sony by investment management firm Columbus Nova, according to an announcement by a member of the company on Reddit. The publisher, responsible for massive multiplayer online role-playing game Everquest, has been renamed Daybreak Game Company, shedding its Sony branding altogether.

No upset in any current development schedules. John Smedley is still president.

Kind of a surprise I guess? Sony hasn't been doing well financially but I didn't think they'd cut SOE first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I hope some dumbass spends 30 dollars on a smilie for this like they did for the Wildstar MMO dying thread and the Xbox One sucks thread.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

stuff people keep asking everywhere else:

yes they took all their current games and IPs with them (everquest, DCUO, H1Z1, planetside, etc)

yes they have talked about doing xbox one games now that they're non-sony

no big changes detailed yet other than the name and renaming station cash to something else

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Kelp Plankton posted:

renaming station cash to something else
Smedley Bucks™

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Freakazoid_ posted:

John Smedley is still president.

The day the music died

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Be sure to subscribe with your station account, because then you get bonuses in all the SoE Freemium games! Mediocrity for all!

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015

Eye of Widesauron posted:

I hope some dumbass spends 30 dollars on a smilie for this like they did for the Wildstar MMO dying thread and the Xbox One sucks thread.

Well, someone certainly spent their time and money for :soe: to exist.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

quote:

Columbus Nova (who created Daybreak Game Company) is the U.S.-based affiliate of the Renova Group of companies, one of the largest Russian strategic investors in the metallurgical, oil, machine engineering, mining, chemical, construction, housing, utilities and financial sectors.

Rest assured, Daybreak Game Company loves games like Planetside, H1Z1, and the Everquest franchise. They love games. You can see it right there in what they invest in. We have nothing to worry about.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Node posted:

Rest assured, Daybreak Game Company loves games like Planetside, H1Z1, and the Everquest franchise. They love games. You can see it right there in what they invest in. We have nothing to worry about.

As a gesture that shows they truly do care, they have cancelled the fan faire this year. Those thousands of people that get one chance a year to meet up with friends they have known for over a decade is gone for now, and everyone is happy about this.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Node posted:

As a gesture that shows they truly do care, they have cancelled the fan faire this year. Those thousands of people that get one chance a year to meet up with friends they have known for over a decade is gone for now, and everyone is happy about this.

i cant wait till its official that this is happening

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Freakazoid_ posted:

John Smedley is still president.

When two companies part ways, things are suppose to be better for everyone involved. Sony won hands down, but SoE is still hosed.

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

In a cross post from the EQ2 thread here is some gossip about SOE's new owners courtesy of fellow goon Mormon Star Wars...

joshtothemaxx posted:
This company that bought SOE sounds pretty sketchy imo. I bet this bodes really well for Planetside 2 and H1Z1 and who the gently caress knows for all the EQ games (and DCUO).

Columbus Nova is the US investment arm of this Russian company:

quote:
New York's top state court on Thursday reinstated Canadian oil company Norex Petroleum's $1 billion lawsuit claiming that two billionaires used armed soldiers and corrupted Russian court proceedings to gain control of a Siberian oilfield.

In a unanimous decision that reversed two lower courts, the Court of Appeals in Albany rejected claims by the billionaires, Renova Group-founders Leonard Blavatnik and Viktor Vekselberg, and companies they control that the lawsuit against them was time-barred.

In 2011, Norex claimed that Blavatnik and Vekselberg, who live in New York, orchestrated a takeover of Russian oil company Yugraneft, in which Norex held a 60 percent stake, and an oilfield in Siberia it controlled worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

Norex said Yugraneft's offices in 2001 were overrun by militia members wielding AK-47 assault rifles. It also claimed the billionaires bribed officials in order to win a Russian court ruling that diluted Norex's stake in the company.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/business/article/u-s-court-charges-renova-group-billionaire-duo-for-armed-takeover-in-russia/502610.html

...couldn't make this poo poo up...

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if anything, it bodes well for H1Z1 & EQ Next because thats the new stuff they can make money on

Planetside 2 was mismanaged so badly that its never suddenly just going to add a ton of players really

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Jueg01 posted:

Well, someone certainly spent their time and money for :soe: to exist.

Oh my.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
we've had that emote for a long time and it has gotten tons of use in the planetside thread

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I do worry about what is going to happen to Everquest 3 though. I have actually been looking forward to that game, but at the same time i've never been confident in it actually being good. SoE's ideas for it are not going to work.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
They're reaching really far and trying new ideas for EverQuest 3, and I want it to be successful for those reasons alone; but being owned by an investment management firm is sort of anathema to trying new, untested things in big ways. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets repositioned into a typical theme park MMO because "that's what makes money".

The suits always seem to miss the parenthetical "(for Blizzard)" on the end of that statement.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Sardikar posted:

In a cross post from the EQ2 thread here is some gossip about SOE's new owners courtesy of fellow goon Mormon Star Wars...

joshtothemaxx posted:
This company that bought SOE sounds pretty sketchy imo. I bet this bodes really well for Planetside 2 and H1Z1 and who the gently caress knows for all the EQ games (and DCUO).

Columbus Nova is the US investment arm of this Russian company:

quote:
New York's top state court on Thursday reinstated Canadian oil company Norex Petroleum's $1 billion lawsuit claiming that two billionaires used armed soldiers and corrupted Russian court proceedings to gain control of a Siberian oilfield.

In a unanimous decision that reversed two lower courts, the Court of Appeals in Albany rejected claims by the billionaires, Renova Group-founders Leonard Blavatnik and Viktor Vekselberg, and companies they control that the lawsuit against them was time-barred.

In 2011, Norex claimed that Blavatnik and Vekselberg, who live in New York, orchestrated a takeover of Russian oil company Yugraneft, in which Norex held a 60 percent stake, and an oilfield in Siberia it controlled worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

Norex said Yugraneft's offices in 2001 were overrun by militia members wielding AK-47 assault rifles. It also claimed the billionaires bribed officials in order to win a Russian court ruling that diluted Norex's stake in the company.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/business/article/u-s-court-charges-renova-group-billionaire-duo-for-armed-takeover-in-russia/502610.html

...couldn't make this poo poo up...
viktor vekselberg is the chairman of the board of renova group which has under it columbus nova which was the one who bought soe. Jay Haft, his advisor, is a partner at columbus nova but the ceo is Andrew Intrater. That sound about right?

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
John Smedley's Golden Corral MMO buffet is finally freed from the shackles of Sony.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Adventure Pigeon posted:

John Smedley's Golden Corral MMO buffet is finally freed from the shackles of Sony.

who doesn't love golden corral

thats what i want to know

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Node posted:

I was going to say "why don't they just meet up with these friends on their own terms?" but then I remembered people with autism have trouble with doing things outside of a pre-existing, rigidly-defined structure.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Eonwe posted:

who doesn't love golden corral

thats what i want to know

I'm just trying to decide which game gets to be the chocolate fountain.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Eonwe posted:

i cant wait till its official that this is happening

It is official. It's the only thing we know that has changed so far, besides the forums have had all traces of SOE removed from it. Their reasons were blah blah corporate speak blah blah transitioning etc.

TE!
Nov 26, 2003

I LOVE THE LITTLE BOYS OF CATHOLIC!! LOLZ!

biznatchio posted:

but being owned by an investment management firm is sort of anathema to trying new, untested things in big ways.

Well I guess it depends what you mean by 'investment management firm', but in this case you could not possibly be more right:

http://www.columbusnova.com/about.html posted:

CN takes a value-oriented, long-term view to investing and seeks consistent returns with an emphasis on capital preservation.

That, in fact, does not bode well. Speaking of not making things up:

http://www.columbusnova.com/paul_lipari.html posted:

From 1997 to 2001, Mr. Lipari worked as an Executive Director in the leveraged finance group for CIBC World Markets and worked on a variety of senior bank debt, high yield debt and private/public equity transactions. While in the leveraged finance group at CIBC, Mr. Lipari worked on numerous financings for Global Crossing and was a member of the board of directors for Global Crossing prior to 2000.

I cannot possibly believe he would highlight this. For those who may not remember: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Crossing#Post-2001_and_2002_bankruptcy_filing

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's a goddamn Russian investment firm. Forgive the hyperbole, but this is about as close to the Russian mafia as you can get without speaking Russian, carrying a Tokarev and being buddy-buddy with the big P.
Run while you still can.

OWLS! fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 4, 2015

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

TE! posted:

Well I guess it depends what you mean by 'investment management firm', but in this case you could not possibly be more right:

I cannot possibly believe he would highlight this. For those who may not remember: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Crossing#Post-2001_and_2002_bankruptcy_filing

OWLS! posted:

It's a goddamn Russian investment firm. Forgive the hyperbole, but this is about as close to the Russian mafia as you can get without speaking Russian.
Run while you still can.

JFC, I'm really feeling sorry for all you EQ, etc. fans right now after reading that.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Brave New World posted:

JFC, I'm really feeling sorry for all you EQ, etc. fans right now after reading that.

Don't feel sorry for us, we gave up a long time ago :saddowns:

This is the most awesome thing that's happened to SOE in forever if it's really becoming a mafia front.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

OWLS! posted:

It's a goddamn Russian investment firm. Forgive the hyperbole, but this is about as close to the Russian mafia as you can get without speaking Russian, carrying a Tokarev and being buddy-buddy with the big P.
Run while you still can.

Da, it's tied to Russia's richest person. The future is looking great for Everquest, comrade.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I'm more curious what they would see in a bunch of relatively old/unpopular MMOs besides making them go even more cash shop and wringing them dry.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Stanos posted:

I'm more curious what they would see in a bunch of relatively old/unpopular MMOs besides making them go even more cash shop and wringing them dry.

Lots of personal information and/or credit cards to sell?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Node posted:

Da, it's tied to Russia's richest person. The future is looking great for Everquest, comrade.

They are like the kings of welfare! WoW watch out!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If SoE fails to deliver, the Russian mafia is going to come to the U.S. and break Smedlys knee caps.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Eye of Widesauron posted:

I read both of the Wildstar threads and I had no idea that there's a smiley.

I also did not know about the xbox smiley but I never read any of the xbox hate threads and I never will.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

I said come in! posted:

If SoE fails to deliver, the Russian mafia is going to come to the U.S. and break Smedlys knee caps.

Finally justice for what he did to Star Wars: Galaxies.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I said come in! posted:

I'm glad of it

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

TE! posted:

haha what the gently caress

i feel like im in a bizarro world. i was hoping the new EQ stuff would be fun but i might just have to sit back and get comfy for the show.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I said come in! posted:

Lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the owner of the company that owns the company that owns SOE is a literal russian oligarch who seized a Canadian-owned oil field in siberia with gunmen wielding ak-47s lmfao

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Eonwe posted:

the owner of the company that owns the company that owns SOE is a literal russian oligarch who seized a Canadian-owned oil field in siberia with gunmen wielding ak-47s lmfao

its so incredibly absurd, i love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i like to imagine they were all wearing track suits when they seized the oil field

and the next time we see smedley he'll be wearing a track suit

• Locked thread