Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
Games Played Poorly with Samu3lk and Friends

Overview

Welcome to the Games Played Poorly thread! My name is Samu3lk and this thread started out as a blind run of the original Dark Souls. The LP ran very long - nearly a year - and the undertaking was so immense that I started playing other games in between editing episodes. Once the whole thing was finished, I decided to run a Mario 64 LP while I was finishing up posting Dark Souls. With that finished considered closing the thread, but I was told to just keep it going and change the title!

My friends and I have been making Let's Plays for a little over three years and Dark Souls was the first one we posted to Something Awful. We have a really casual LP style where we talk over cutscenes, tell stories from our childhoods, and just sort of pal around.

The Games

Currently Playing:

Episode 1: "Meet Leorcus Guge"
Episode 2: "Meet the Nerds"
Episode 3: "Jolly Cooperation"
Episode 4: "Daddy's Feet"
Episode 5: "Invigorated Pinkies"
Episode 6: "Kind of Ill-Advised"
Episode 7: "Rump Roast"
Episode 8: "Up Up and Agape!"
Episode 9: "Christlike"

Episode 1: "Spaghetti"
Episode 2: "Maurice"

Episode 1: "Are Foxes Dogs!?"
Episode 2: "Drama in the Chat"

Episode 1: "Godfather Music"

Previously Played:

Dark Souls is an action role-playing game developed by From Software. It's notorious for its steep difficulty curve and unforgiving gameplay. The entire open-world map is available to the player from the start and it's up to you to find out where to go and what order to tackle the challenges that lie ahead. The game takes place in the land of Lodran, a world overrun by the undead plague. The player is tasked with restoring life to the world by returning the fire of life to some such or other and blah blah blah nobody knows or cares. Gruesome challenges and terrible monsters await at every turn. Do you have what it takes to become the next Dark Soul?

THE LP: This is a blind run that I started in the casual thread. I started putting a lot of work into it, and wanted to try my hand at starting my own thread on the forums. This is a blind run, but my co-host Eric has watched a few LPs of the game and has played it more than I have, so he frequently chimes in with advice to either keep me out of trouble, or get me farther into it.

You can either watch them all here on the Playlist or check out individual episodes below:

EPISODES:

Final Death Count: 316

Episode 1: "Are You There God?"
Episode 2: "Sopapilla"
Episode 3: "Little Baby Tobey Maguire"
Episode 4: "Goiter"
Episode 5: "Tommy Lee Jones"
Episode 6: "Blockhead"
Episode 7: "Just Hanging Out"
Episode 8: "Mrs. Doubtfire 2"
Episode 9: "Widdle Biddy Secwets"
Episode 10: "Wood"
Episode 11: "Four Samurai Swords"
Episode 12: "So Long Gay Bowser"

Episode 1: "Danger Mines!"
Episode 2: "The Right Tool for the Job"
Episode 3: "Use Your Glyph Vision!"
Episode 4: "There's Something Missing"
Episode 5: "Bug Toucher Simulator"

Episode 1: "Twinklin'"
Episode 2: "Spooky"
Episode 3: "The Last Episode"
Episode 4: "Dreamin' With Sammy and Ricky"
Episode 5: "Must See TV"
Episode 5.5: "Transmission Lost"
Episode 6: "Jon Juan"
Episode 7: "The Greatest American Hero"
Episode 8: "Good Lord What a Mess"

Episode 1: "Chap-Man"
Episode 2: "Dicky Do-It"
Episode 3: "Junji Ito Holes"
Episode 4: "Nature's Beverage"
Episode 5: "Big Brains"
Episode 6: "Dragon Bomb Z"
Episode 7: "Hog Games"
Episode 8: "Loosen That Nut"
Episode 9: "Zebra Cakes"
Episode 10: "GOMK"
Episode 11: "Crab Cracker"

Episode 1: "Baah!"
Episode 2: "Medicated Ham"
Episode 3: "Marcel"
Episode 4: "Mrs. Wingo"
Episode 5: "The Pogmakers' Corner"

Episode 1: "Lavender Landschaft"
Episode 2: "Feisty Koziczka"
Episode 3: "Liquid White"
Episode 4: "w e n e e d a cord c a n w i n t h e l o r d"
BONUS!: "o j e s t m ó j w u j e k"

samu3lk fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Fan Arts, Bonus Episodes, and MYSTERIES

SIDEQUEST - Let's Play It! Super Mario 64: Revisited
Super Mario 64 was my first-ever Let's Play, as it is with most babbey LPers. I finished recording Souls like 6 months ago, so I'm going to run through Mario again for funsies and with a little more experience and with my best friend Eric with me.

Episode 1: "Are You There God?"
Episode 2: "Sopapilla"
Episode 3: "Little Baby Tobey Maguire"
Episode 4: "Goiter"
Episode 5: "Tommy Lee Jones"
Episode 6: "Blockhead"
Episode 7: "Just Hanging Out"
Episode 8: "Mrs. Doubtfire 2"
Episode 9: "Widdle Biddy Secwets"
Episode 10: "Wood"
Episode 11: "Four Samurai Swords"
Episode 12: "So Long Gay Bowser"

FANART!!

fanart by darcymlittle

fanart by rubyredtatoo

fanart by judge reinhold

fanart by Gimbal lock

fanart by Akogare Zephyr

fanart by darcymlittle

fanart by DocGator

.gif by DocGator to highlight my shame

fanart by oldskool

samu3lk fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 18, 2016

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
It was a good move to give this its own thread and it's been fun to follow. :allears:

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
This game just beats you over the head with its lore, doesn't it? So much for subtle storytelling.

Anyway here is some fan art:

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

In this episode, I lose my cool and threaten physical violence upon Ben because I get so angry at video games.

Death Count: 64

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
well that just popped out of nowhere. more dark souls is always rad.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
About time you moved this in its own thread instead of letting it slowly die in the other one. Sakura deserves a better death

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gimbal lock posted:

About time you moved this in its own thread instead of letting it slowly die in the other one. Sakura deserves a better death

and another, and another, and another

:darksouls:

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Gimbal lock posted:

Genocyber posted:

and another, and another, and another

:darksouls:
I was just editing the Sen's Fortress episodes last night when this pair of posts repeated over and over in my mind as I spiraled into depression.

In this episode, baby Lautrec does a bad, bad thing.

Death Count: 65

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Your videos are funny, but it's going to take me a while to catch up to the present.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

FreeKillB posted:

Your videos are funny, but it's going to take me a while to catch up to the present.

Take your time. It's not a race. I'm better in small doses anyway.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

If you're afraid of spiders or bodacious babes or both, please skip this episode.

Death Count: 66

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Goddamn, watching a blind run of DS1 these days compared to a knowledgeable run of DS2 really highlights how much more leeway you have to gently caress up and get hit in this game most of the time.

Smarms
Aug 27, 2008
I for one am appreciating this run through of DS1. I miss the open sense of discovery that DS1 afforded me the first time I played through it. I am now a jaded Souls gamer and take any new FromSoft game in stride, but the wonder and frustration I felt at Dark Souls is something you have helped encapsulate.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Section Z posted:

Goddamn, watching a blind run of DS1 these days compared to a knowledgeable run of DS2 really highlights how much more leeway you have to gently caress up and get hit in this game most of the time.

I gently caress up and get hit a lot in the next few episodes and then you will eat those words.

Sen's Fortress time.

Death Count: 67

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Blind Dark Souls is a gift that keeps on giving.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

"Do you want the ninja mask on or off?"
"...?"
"... Too bad."

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Here's another one. In this one, I repay some old debts.

I also leave Sen's Fortress because I'm scared.

Death Count: 70

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

samu3lk posted:

Death Count: 67
Magical. :allears: I've been watching this (and will keep watching) for moments like this.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Well because of this LP, if I'm playing DaS while on skype I'll just yell out "SAKURAAAAAA" when I do something reckless, and I'm probably not gonna be able to stop for a while. Thanks for that.

(the lp is good and deserved a thread of its own thank you I love you all goodnight)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This lp is fun times and I'm enjoying catching up. I, too, first played as a Wanderer who got into terrible trouble constantly my first time through.

Akogare Zephyr
Apr 29, 2013

I was a little nervous this lp stopped, but now it has it's own thread. Hooray! The tale of Sakura Bedsor continues! Oh and uh here's some fanart:

I think this would be a fun character to voice. Maybe one day I will try. Maybe.

Akogare Zephyr fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 1, 2015

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Steak Eater posted:

Well because of this LP, if I'm playing DaS while on skype I'll just yell out "SAKURAAAAAA" when I do something reckless, and I'm probably not gonna be able to stop for a while. Thanks for that.

(the lp is good and deserved a thread of its own thank you I love you all goodnight)

Akogare Zephyr posted:

I was a little nervous this lp stopped, but now it has it's own thread. Hooray! The tale of Sakura Bedsor continues! Oh and uh here's some fanart:

I think this would be a fun character to voice. Maybe one day I will try. Maybe.

Sakura-chan is becoming ever more influential and is compelling my viewers to do strange things. You guys rule.

I also forgot what font I used in the thumbnails, so I picked another one. Sorry.

Death Count: 77

If you're wearing headphones, I scream really loud at 4:10, so look out.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The back door of the tower is actually a better vantage point to fight Havel from because he can chase you out the door, but he won't swing at you once he's outside. He'll just slowly back into the tower and return to his original place, even if you run up and hit him while he's doing it. If you're careful, you can kill him without ever being threatened, and the bonfire on this side has no enemies to fight along the way back if he does manage to catch you off guard.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Nidoking posted:

The back door of the tower is actually a better vantage point to fight Havel from because he can chase you out the door, but he won't swing at you once he's outside. He'll just slowly back into the tower and return to his original place, even if you run up and hit him while he's doing it. If you're careful, you can kill him without ever being threatened, and the bonfire on this side has no enemies to fight along the way back if he does manage to catch you off guard.

Even mighty Rocks
Wither away and fade to
The persistent wave

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Sen's Fortress is really goofing me up you guys, and it's making me real mad.

Death Count: 83

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
I'm going to go against the spirit of the blindrun thread and give you a piece of advice. Mostly because it's less about being clever and moreso about things being badly explained. Also, you've had access to this stuff for a while now anyway.

Hot tip: You may want to head downstairs from the bonfire and talk to your old pal Andre the blacksmith. The services he offers are convoluted, but understanding exactly what he can offer you might yield some immediate and substantial benefits.

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 10, 2015

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

samu3lk posted:

Sen's Fortress is really goofing me up you guys, and it's making me real mad.

Sen's Fortress is pretty much peak bullshit in the game. Once you've gotten through there, I can only think of one other spot that's really lovely Harpies, and it's pretty much entirely optional if I remember right.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Gimbal lock posted:

I'm going to go against the spirit of the blindrun thread and give you a piece of advice. Mostly because it's less about being clever and moreso about things being badly explained. Also, you've had access to this stuff for a while now anyway.

Hot tip: You may want to head downstairs from the bonfire and talk to your old pal Andre the blacksmith. The services he offers are convoluted, but understanding exactly what he can offer you might yield some immediate and substantial benefits.

To expand on this, try hitting Select more often since it gives you explanations of things on-screen.

Hell just read the on-screen button guides more.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
And remember that just because a menu option doesn't do anything when you first see it, that doesn't mean it'll remain useless forever.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I appreciate tips, but our recording schedule means that we recorded these videos like back in March. It's hard to get us all together, so we record A TON when we do.

New episodes are uploading as we speak. The Sen's Fortress Saga must come to an end. I'm also working on a bonus episode where Eric and I play some Dark Souls 2.

We're both terrible at it.

In the meantime, I made this while I was editing video:

Sakura, Sakura Jr., and Bakura Sedsor.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Eric's apartment building was evacuated because of a gas leak and he wasn't there for support. Tensions and the death count continue to rise.

Pray for me.

Death Count: 89

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

Ah, Sen's Fortress. Nobody's first hundred runs ever go smoothly.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

In this episode I once again run away from Sen's Fortress because I'm afraid and I go mess around elsewhere and make some grave errors because I don't know what I'm doing.

Sen's Fortress is far from over.

Death Count: 91

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
a part of me just died

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Steak Eater posted:

a part of me just died

It is almost over. There's only like 400 more episodes to go before I start Anor Londo. Then I have another breakdown.

This game is going to kill me.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I think after we filmed this episode I had a total meltdown.

Only a couple more stabs at Sen's Fortress to go.

Death Count: 93

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
Trying to catch up, I noticed in Video 7 at about 22:30 in, you fail to count a death, and that in the next video doesn't seem to catch up. Does that ever get fixed? I figured I should note it before potentially watching the next dozen videos to see if it would be caught and accounted for eventually in case it hadn't because it'd be a pain again to find again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

Faylone posted:

Trying to catch up, I noticed in Video 7 at about 22:30 in, you fail to count a death, and that in the next video doesn't seem to catch up. Does that ever get fixed? I figured I should note it before potentially watching the next dozen videos to see if it would be caught and accounted for eventually in case it hadn't because it'd be a pain again to find again.

Aaw crap. I figured that would happen eventually. Luckily you caught it before I edited DEATH 100 which is coming up pretty soon. I'll adjust the count. It's still going to be off until episode 39, because I already edited those.

I will right this wrong and I thank you.

• Locked thread