Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

quote:

Everything is delicious.

Glitterhaegen! City of Coins! A place where any desire in the world can be sated, provided the right price is met! A city of merchants, and crossroads, and glowing gilded halls with ornate towers looking out on the most magnificent ships ever seen in the harbor!

And, of course, the bits they don't tell you about in the bumph. Like the atrocious winter weather--even the ancient wards over the Midland Sea can't keep the shining city from being doused by gross, cold rainstorms every winter. Today, Glitterhaegen got unlucky, and the city is veritably drowning in one of these--ships in the harbor sealed tight to avoid filling and foundering, and the sewers running like rapids with pouring rainfall.

Yet from the most palatial merchant's piazza to the lowliest dishwasher's lean-to, the city is alive with light and joyous activity. New Year was two days ago, and the decorations haven't yet been all cleared away--but something greater is coming, which is why every restaurant worth note in the city is packed full of its loyal clientele tonight. The Michelin Men have retreated to their flying island, and the Empire holds its breath--the Red Book is about to be updated.

Nowhere is this more evident than in The Full Boar, a well-spoken restaurant in the... well, poor is a dirty word in Glitterhaegen, so "less rich" will do. The less rich part of town. The place is packed to the rafters, literally in the case of the kobolds who've gotten up on the chandelier for a better view of the scenery. A wild collection of locals, friends, and cook-explorers have gathered in the big common room for two reasons--the roaring fire, and because The Full Boar has a copy of the Red Book in its back room. The tables are occupied by a full smorgasbord of thinking races usually not seen outside Drakkenhall--the kobolds are impossible to miss despite being so short, there's two sahaugin having a ferocious argument with some hayseed-looking types at the bar, and is that a robot in the far corner? Could be. Hard to see at this distance.

But then, your table isn't one to talk, is it?

The proprietor is due back any minute--the atmosphere in the place is humming with excitement.

Okay, here we go. DA RULES: Character sheets go in the first post. After that, hyperlink to the relevant post in the OOC thread instead. Please use Orokos for dice rolls and shoot me questions if you have them. Conversation should go in the OOC thread or in the IRC, which is irc.synirc.net, #13thcourse!

The owner will be back with the news very shortly, but if there's anything you want to do right off the bat, let's hear it. LET'S DO THIS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Alfie's eyes are as big as dinner plates as he looks around the restaurant. "Whoar, this is something else, isn't it?" he gasps, for the sixth time since getting here. Were it not for the occasional nods of approval from the passing waiters, you'd think he were a tourist eating above his station.

Which was partially true, all said.

quote:

Alfie Butterny
Urchin (Halfling) Rogue 1

Out on the streets you ain't got nuffink to eat 'nless you can catch it yourself. If you're lucky, some kindly cook what don't get paid too much to be nice puts the day's scraps out and you can eat like the emperor on 'is high table himself! That is if you're quick enough to get in on it before it's all taken by some bigger kid. Mostly, you eat rat. But i's not so bad, eating rat. Lot of rats in the big city, so if you can eat rat you ain't going hungry, an' so long as you're careful and don't catch Rat, you can do a lot wif a dead rat. Rat stew, rat roast wit' broiled apples, pan-seared rat served wif braised leek in a summer sauce. It ain't posh but it ain't no Orc Lady story neither.

It ain't much but us little folk gotta try, right?

One Unique Thing: World's Finest Rat Chef (And that's chef what works with rat, not a rat what works with a chef. I ain't no stewed vegetable story.)

Abilities:
Str 8 (-1)
Dex 14+2R (+3)
Con 14 (+2)
Int 8 (-1)
Wis 11 (0)
Cha 17+2C (+4)

Icons:
- Archmage Positive 1
- Orc Lady Conflicted 2

Backgrounds:
Street Urchin - 3
Back Alley Cook - 5

Talents:
- Battle Skald
- Jack of Spells
- Balladeer

Battle Cry:
- Move it!
- Pull it Together!
- Stay Strong!

Songs and Spells:
- Song of Heroes
- Battle Chant
- Resist Energy

Feat:
Battle Cry I - Use Battle Cry as standard action

Derived Attributes:
Initiative: +4
AC: 14
Physical Defence: 14
Mental Defence: 11
Max. Hit Points: 27
Recoveries: 8
Recovery Dice: 1d8+2

Gear:
- Lucky Ratting Knife (1d6 wicked knife)
- Warm Rags (Light Armour)
- 25gp

Pingcode fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 24, 2015

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria Damsel

Daria sits with Alfie, trying to look nonchalant. Of course, she was interested in the Red Book, and the big event. But when you're visible like this, there's appearances to consider.

"It's certainly crowded enough." Answers Daria for the sixth time. "Did anyone else see that Dwarf-forged in the corner? I didn't know they'd gotten so far in development"

Icon Relationships:
Prince of Shadows Positive 1: Taking the best, the unwanted, the hidden, the carefully guarded, and making them into an exciting new dish? Right up the Prince of Shadow's alley.
The Crusader Negative 1: Only one person will consistently have the best ingredients in the world, and that is the Crusader. Daria has helped herself to his larders on more than one occasion, which infuriates him to no end.
The Priest Conflicted 1: On the one hand, Daria works to bring expensive, filling, tasty, and even healthy foods from those who can afford them to those who can't. On the other hand, Daria is hardly picky, and will take a pheasant from a peasant's table to satisfy her need for the poached thrill.

Backgrounds:
Poacher +5: Daria takes what she wants from who she wants. Whether she's sneaking animal's from private game reserves, lifting secret spices from a shelf, or even just stealing pies, she's devoted to the Poached Cooking Style. And that means poaching.
Ingredient Appraisal +5: For all her lackadaisical attitude, Daria knows her cooking. No use breaking into the Three's kitchen if you can't tell the difference between the tapioca and the caviar. Daria has an encyclopedic knowledge of the best ingredients, where to get them, and how mad their owners might get afterwards.
Sell the Experience +5: Of course, all this would never work if the lucky customers sat down and realized that food is food, stolen or not. Daria isn't just putting good food on the table, she's creating a thrill, that this pork is taken from the table of a Michelin noble, cooked with seasoning lifted from the Archmage's labaratory, and roasted in the fires of the Red while he slumbered. When you eat with Daria, you get more than food!

pre:
Daria Damsel
High Elf Rogue

One Unique Thing: Pioneer of the Poached Cooking style

STR  10		(+0)		Hit Points: (21/21)
CON  12		(+1)		Recoveries: 8
DEX  18		(+4)		Recovery value: 1d8+1
INT  16		(+3)		Armour Class: 14
WIS  8		(-1)		PD: 14	MD: 13
CHA  14		(+2)		Initiative: +4

Race Features
	Highblood Teleport

Class Features
	Momentum
	Sneak Attack
	Trap Sense

Talents
	Cunning
	Swashbuckle
	Thievery

Feats
	Thievery Feat

Basic Attacks
	Melee Attack
	+5 vs AC
	Hit: 1d8+4 Miss: 4

Ranged Attack
	+5 vs AC
	Hit: 1d4+4 damage Miss: 4

Powers
	Thief's Strike
	Roll with it
	Evasive Strike
	Flying Blade
	Sure Cut

Equipment
	Grey Camo Apron (Light armor)
	Long handled battle skillet (1-handed 1d8)
	Belt of Throwing knives (Throwing 1d4)
	25 gold

M.c.P fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 25, 2015

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?

Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

Donut chuckles softly when Daria answers Alfie for the sixth time, "Oh yes I actually had a pleasant conversation with him. Apparently automatons can also misunderstand like any living beings and asked why I was wearing clothing.", he chuckles again. He then picks up a tea cup and slowly enjoys some Dragon Root Tea.

onepiecekenny posted:

Name: Riceball "Jelly" Donuts
Nickname: Do
Human Monk

Short Bio:
Do invented and mastered the art of the "Naked Cook Style" (Not actually naked) from the temple of "Oishi" on top of the Ramen mountain. He invented this style when Do was training in the art of cooking. A frying pan fell from the cupboard and hit his head which made him think, "How much can I cook by only using my body?" Which resulted in the creation of the "Naked Cook Style".

Naked Cooking Style: This style of cooking was created from one simple question: "How much can one cook by only using the body?" This style is a combination of martial arts and cooking; practitioners can cook without using any cooking wares whatsoever. A chef might use his fingers to slice an owlbear's tenderloin instead of using a knife. A naked chef would not use an iron pot or fire to cook rice, instead using their own body as a container and their own body heat to cook the rice. Of course, there are limits to some things, but everyday Do is finding new ways to overcome the conventional limitations of cooking.

After mastering the Art of his "Naked Cooking Style" Do started to travel around the world looking to meet, cook and eat with chef with there own unique style of cooking. He also sought to finding new and unique ingredient to be cooked with his style of cooking. After displaying his skills on the street side as a street cook performer and entering in a few cooking competition. His style started to become wildly known. But its more like the name of his style become more known then what the style actually is.This is when Do realized naming his unique style, "Naked Cooking Style" was a bad idea. His style became more of a fad because people thought his style involved getting naked, because of this there is alot of misunderstanding when he meet chefs on his travels. At least because of this misunderstanding, his name became well known do to the obsession of fads in young chefs social networks.

One Unique Thing: Master of Naked Cooking Style (Not actually naked)

Abilities:
Str 15+2C (+3)
Dex 16+2C (+4)
Con 10 (+0)
Int 8 (-1)
Wis 15+2R (+3)
Cha 8 (-1)

Icons:
The Diabolist: Negative Relationship 1
Gold Wyrm: Positive Relationship 1
Orc Lady: Negative Relationship 1

Backgrounds:
Naked Cook - 5
Gatherer - 3

Talents:
Flurry (Seven Deadly Secrets)
Diamond Focus

Racial Power:
Quick to Fight
Greeting Fist (Seven Deadly Secrets)
Leaf on Wind

Forms:
Original Venom
Dutiful Guardian

Feat:
Flurry (Seven Deadly Secrets) Adventurer
Dutiful Guardian Adventurer

Derived Attributes:
Initiative: +5
AC: 16
Physical Defense: 16
Mental Defense: 15
Max. Hit Points: 21
Recovery Dice: 1d8

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Christophe D'Argent

"Quite so, Do. Creating arcane golems capable of comprehension and cooking is really rather easy for a skilled artificer. The real problem arises not with capability, but with controllability. Any sentient construct intelligent enough to become a skilled chef will soon rebel against its master. Generally, they open their own restaurants."

Christophe stood on his seat and craned his neck to get a better view of the forgeborn in question. "In fact, I believe I know that fellow; it goes by Focis. A master of 'synchronous cuisine,' as it calls it. Dishes cooked and served in perfect unison to enhance their combined flavor." He sat back down, and taking a glass flask from his coat, poured a stream of glowing blue liquid into his drink. He waved the flask at his companions. "Are you sure none of you wish to try this? It's fortified with all sorts of beneficial magic. Guaranteed to be good for you, probably! And I could really use a wider subject pool."

pre:
Christophe D'Argent
Halfling Ranger/Wizard

One Unique Thing: Questant for the Seventh Flavor

Icon Relationships:
Archmage Positive 2
Lich Queen Negative 1

Backgrounds:
Arcane Baker +3
Long-Range Sous Chef +3
Well-Traveled Wanderer +2

STR  8		(-1)		Hit Points: (22/22)
CON  12 	(+1) 	        Recoveries: 8
DEX  18 	(+4)	        Recovery value: 1d8+1
INT  18 	(+4)	        Armour Class: 16
WIS  12		(+1)		PD: 13	MD: 14
CHA  8		(-1)		Initiative: +5

Race Features
 	 Small
         Evasive

Class Features
	Cantrips
	Cyclic Spells
	Overworld Advantage
        Ritual Magic

Talents
 	High Arcana
	Double Ranged Attack
   	Ranger Ex Cathedral

Feats
     	Double Ranged Attack- Adventurer

Basic Attacks
	Melee Attack
   	+5 vs AC
  	Hit: 1d8-1 Miss: 1

Ranged Attack
	+5 vs AC
	Hit: 1d4+4 damage Miss: 1

Spells
	Acid Arrow
	Acid Arrow
	Color Spray
	Shield
	Counter-Magic
        Cure Wounds

Equipment
        Double-breasted leather armor w/ apron and reinforced poque (Light armor)
	A shitload of cutlery (Throwing 1d4)
 	Heavy cleaver (Two-Handed 1d8)
        Arcane cookbooks
	25 gold

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at 09:36 on May 24, 2015

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

"How many subjects have tried your blend so far?", he put down his clay tea cup down and asked Christophe.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Leib'Freid
Ogre Barbarain/Ranger

quote:

One Unique Thing: Harold of the great Dwarf King, fortunetelling his great coming.

Attributes
Str 18 (+4)
Dex 18 (+4)
Con 15 (+2)
Int 8 (-1)
Wis 8 (-1)
Cha 8(-1)

Icons:
Dwarf King Positive 2
Orc Lady Negative 1

Backgrounds:
"I create through anger" 3 Pts
"Herald of Lord Dwarf King" 3 Pts
A piece of slave-life remains 2 Pts

Racial Power
Rauguguggh: Once per battle as a free action, when the ogre berserker fails a save, it can take [Level]d6 damage to succeed at the save instead.

Talents:
Building Frenzy
Double Melee Attack
First Strike

Class Features:
Dwarf King's Righteous Anger

Feat:
Knife and Fork Expert (Two-Weapon Multiclass)

Derived Attributes:
Initiative: +5
AC: 18
Physical Defense: 17
Mental Defense: 10
Max. Hit Points: 27
Recovery Dice: 1d8+2

"Hmf. How can a robot have creativity? Sure, they can maybe churn out a quick hamburger, but I wouldn't want to eat that everyday!There's a restaunt in Forge run by those things. Soggy, burgers sold for cheap."

Leib'Freid shrugs at Cristophe's offer. "I'd be willing to try about anything, but what is it?, some sort of liquor? Frankly, I could go for a glass of New Port wine."

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Christophe D'Argent

"Subjects? Well, one." Christophe indicated himself. "I believe I've built up a tolerance to it, though. And," -He turned to Leib'Freid- "It's not alcoholic. More of a herbal supplement, except not herbal at all! Herbs are useless. This is made of magic, so it actually does something. I'll just put it on the table for anyone who wants to partake."

He looked at each of his companions in turn. "Now, to what do I owe the pleasure of your collective company? Merely a social gathering while we wait for the updating of the Red Book, or did you have something more in mind?"

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

"If they are capable of misunderstanding my style, I'm sure they have the capability to have a creative mind. Of course I have no knowledge on how they are created.", Donut comments on the robots.

He turns to Christophe when he comments herbs are useless, "I beg to differ, any ingredients can be useful. Just like your magical concoctions every ingredients can be beneficial if used correctly.... Well that's what I believe.", he reaches out and grabs Christophe magical concoction. "I humbly accept your offer Christophe", then he takes a swig without a second thought.

onepiecekenny fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 25, 2015

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

A loud clanging noise comes from the direction of the kitchen--it's Errin, the head chef, banging a saucepan and a ladle over his head. This earns a few cheers before people see who's next to him and realize he wants them to shut up and pay attention. Next to him is Miles, the dishwasher, and a Michelin Man holding the all-important Red Book. Miles has his hands behind his back--and is Errin crying? He's smiling, but anyone who's known the big, rugged ex-explorer for longer than five minutes knows he NEVER cries.

"Everyone, please. Could I have your attention." Meaning give it to me now, but it is still given. Errin looks around the room. "I know you didn't just come here for the food, tonight." Some laughter. "Still, I'm glad you could all be here for this. This is the best night of my life."

On cue, Miles brings his hands from behind his back, and in them is an open white case, kind of like what rich people put rings in when they want to propose marriage. Inside it is a six-pointed metal star the size of a saucer, inlaid with platinum. Errin beams bright enough to outshine the fire and you can hear his voice from half a block away, despite the storm. "The Full Boar has been awarded its first Michelin Star!"

There's a beat, and then the room erupts in cheers. The regulars and the cooks know what this means for one of their favorite restaurants--Errin has made it to the big leagues. The drunks just know there's something to celebrate. The old-timers, of course, know what's probably coming next, and they're not disappointed. Errin holds up a fist. "Tonight, the food is half off, and drinks are on the house!" The cheering is possibly louder at this announcement, but no-one really minds.

Do takes a sip of the blue stuff. It's... well, the flavor is interesting. It fizzes on the tongue, and the throat, and all the way down to the stomach, though the taste is somewhere between sour and bitter and the aftertaste is extremely persistent. Not recommended for the taste, which isn't great in the Michelin Empire. Who knows what it would do to a magic-user. To a monk, on the other hand, so strongly attuned to the self, it feels like the entirety of the body it touches wakes up, paying triple the attention--not entirely positive for the tongue, but it certainly makes you more alert.

Add a small bonus to any kind of check to notice things for the duration of the scene.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 25, 2015

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Leib'fried puts some in his glass, and he swishes it around and sniffs it. "Huh." he says, recoiling from its odd odor, He then shrugs and takes a small sip. "Ugh. Well, I guess it's a type of medicine, better for health than taste." he says. Then sets the glass aside.

At the new he doesn't cheer, but claps enthustiasticly. Then turns to the others. "Well, that is good news."

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 25, 2015

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

"This...this...has a interesting taste", Donut just has this perplexed look on his taste not sure how to react to the taste. It wasn't bad but it didn't taste herb like. It kinda tasted like a unriped ogre lemon?

Anyway he felt the concoction turn in his stomach and everything slowed down around him, just a tiny bit, allowing him to see how everyone is cheering at Errin.

onepiecekenny fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 25, 2015

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Bloody Awful ate my post. I'm almost certain I clicked post, not edit.

Daria Damsel

Daria slowly sips her own Glitterhaegen Port and eyes the glowing blue concoction. "You couldn't pay me enough, Cristopohe."

She smiles and joins in the cheers as Errin announces the good news. "Hah! Good on you Errin, I knew you'd make it!" She makes her way to the center of the room to shake him by the hand. "First of many, I'd say. The next two are just around the corner, I tell you."

And then I'd have to look into nicking a few things from you, but that's neither here nor there She adds to herself.

She put an arm around Errin and gives him a conspiratorial grin.
"So, how'd you do it? A little Drakkenhall spice? Your famous Black Pudding au Flambe? Come on, tell a fellow traveler."

M.c.P fucked around with this message at 09:17 on May 25, 2015

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Alfie Butterny

Alfie leaps up onto his (nice, plush) chair and grabs hold of the nearest drink at hand. "Here's to Errin, may that star not be the last one!" he toasts, holding up the cup.

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

Donut picks up hid clay tea cup and cheers for Errin, "Congratulations."

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

M.c.P posted:

She put an arm around Errin and gives him a conspiratorial grin.
"So, how'd you do it? A little Drakkenhall spice? Your famous Black Pudding au Flambe? Come on, tell a fellow traveler."

Errin scratches the back of his neck as the crowd shuffles away from him and towards the bar. "Weeell, I'd like to say it was just long overdue, but, y'know. I don't know if it was anything in particular--you know those Inspectors, I couldn't tell you when they'd sent one 'round or how many--but I'm guessin' it was the Black Pudding, yah. I started making it with that Wake Islands sugarcane, this summer, when I got a big surplus buy? I think that really helped."

He leans down, trying to be conspiratorial--something that completely fails, no-one could ever blame the big man for being too subtle. "I've got an idea for something real exciting, too, for this year--stick around tomorrow morning." He laughs. "If'n you can still stand!"

The Blue Stuff slides down Lieb'fried's throat like a slug, with the aftertaste trailing behind it. He doesn't get the same clear feeling Do had--rather, it feels like he swallowed a lump of pure energy, and as it lands in his stomach it feels like his whole chest is full of power.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 26, 2015

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria Damsel

Daria smiles and lets Errin address the rest of the adoring crowd. She puts a finger to her lips and winks.
"Well well, I better not overeat too much, then! I'm sure you'll have something brilliant to show us all later."

She walks back to the table and waves down a waitress.
"Ma'am? A cup of the Black Pudding, please. And... why not? A slice of Red Velvet to go with it. Oh but I do spoil myself sometimes, eh?"

She heads back to the others, and blanches somewhat at the large number of glowing blue cups.
"Really? Well I'm happy Cristophe found some fellows willing to experiment. How's it go down?"

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

Donut replies to Daria, "It's a acquired taste Daria...", he says and washes out the taste of the glowing stuff with his dragon root tea.

"So I was able to catch some of the conversation between you two. He has some some kind of surprise in the morning?", he was able to read there lips due to his temporary improved vision.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Leib'fried
Leib'fried takes a sip of his red wine, then raises his eyebrow at Cristophe's question.
"While the red book does interest me, that is not my main goal. I was told someone with info on the man who killed my wife and child could be found in this city. I was surprised to see you again."

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 27, 2015

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Christophe D'Argent

"I see, I see. A grim task, that. Well, all the same, it is good to see you, my friend!" Christophe attempted to clap Leib'Freid on the shoulder, but could only reach his lower back.

"And yes, regarding the experiment, I am aware it tastes... less than great. You know magic can leave an odd aftertaste, and this is nothing but. Just another problem to solve, especially if I am to find the Seventh! However, the true test of the serum will come tomorrow, when we see if there's any side effects. Stiff neck, limbs transformed into chickens, that sort of thing." Christophe paused. "Don't worry, they change back."

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 27, 2015

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria Damsel

"Yes, he said something about a surprise. No idea what... Though I could probably find out."

Daria ponders. Errin meant well, and while 1 Michelin star was nothing to shake a fork at, Daria preferred to toss the really high end places. Maybe she could help Errin out...
"The chickens turn back into limbs, or the test subjects turn back from trying again?" Daria chuckles. "Say, anyone else a little curious about this special? I'm wondering if I should bring a breath mint or a bigger weapon if we try this thing tomorrow."

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Alfie Butterny

Alfie coughs a little uncertainly. Turning into a chicken didn't sound like his idea of a good time. He'd seen what happened to chickens. "Specials is means the interesting kind, I bet," he comments, only too keen to turn away from the talk of concoctions that turn people into chickens, "like maybe climbing around on rooftops specials. Only bigger, 'coz I don't think Errin's had a Michelin Star before."

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

"I think I will pass on the turning into a chicken for a brief moment.", or however long it took.

"Glad I have decided to visit this city.", he was contemplating on where to go, but lucky for him he picked the city with many cooking masters that he has met before.

"Guess we will have to just wait for the surprise. What is everyone else's plans for tonight?"

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Alfie Butterny

"Oh, usual I s'pose. Get back to my patch, maybe catch a few rats for tomorrow's dinner if they're biting," shrugs Alfie, "why, you got something in mind?"

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

"Well something big always happens right before the release of the new Red Book, so I been curious to see if anyone I know is involved in anything.", he replies to Alfie.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Well, before may be incorrect, but it's not every day that respectable establishments like The Full Boar get their doors kicked in, especially in this weather. Heads around the room look up as a bunch of soaked and miserable-looking human toughs file into the restaurant--they could be very alike a cook-explorer company, were it not for the nasty-looking weapons they have drawn. Behind them come a bunch of crossbowmen in extremely stupid-looking helmets, and--

Oh. Oh, god. That could be a hat. It fits all the technical criteria. The man under it is apparently completely unaware of the thing on his head--did he put it there? Willingly?--and more focused on the room. The sneer on his face is the kind only the very rich and very self-confident wear.

When he speaks, it's exactly what you'd expect. "Ladies and gentlemen. If you'd be so kind as to surrender your cookbooks, immediately. They are being... requisitioned, for a greater purpose." He is looking directly at Errin, as he speaks. The statement is punctuated by another crash and some screaming from the kitchen.

It's unclear whether indignation or shock quells the room to silence--our cookbooks?--but there it is. Nobody moves.

Alright! So the question is presented to you! These men are clearly too arrogant or bribed to be reasoned with, to be asking that sort of question. Do you knuckle under and hand over everything you've worked your whole lives to create? Or do you ROLL INITIATIVE?

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 30, 2015

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria Damsel

What the... who were these jokers? Daria rolls her eyes. Bunch of amateurs, stealing cookbooks. No one respects you if they don't think you can make something on your own.
Then she realizes they're probably not Poached Cooking proteges. Ah well, best try to talk some sense into them.

Daria finally breaks the silence.
"Oh gently caress off. What precisely do you think you're going to accomplish? What possessed you to believe this is a good idea? You honestly ought to just forget this ever happened, go home, and wait for The Full Boar to release a Michelin Star cooking guide or something."

Daria slowly edges her skillet out of its holster.
"I really don't want to have to teach you a lesson in respect. It'd be like kicking a puppy. I wonder if you even understand what you're getting into."

Initiative: 1d20+5 18

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Alfie Butterny

"Aw, Daria, you don't have to be so mean. Poor bugger's got a rat stuck on 'is head, can't you see?" replies Alfie, slipping his hand over his steak knife. "Hold still, mister, I'll have that rat off of you in just a tic."

Initiative!: 1d20+4 18

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Christophe D'Argent

Christophe was busily writing arcane calculations in his notebook. He failed to notice the door slam open, and completely ignored the guy shouting about cookbooks or whatever.

Almost had this. No chickens at all, so far...

It was only when Daria elbowed him in the ribs that he looked up. "Whuh? Oh." He pulled several kitchen knives of various sizes out from under his coat, spinning and flipping them with one hand as he stood up. "A poor choice of establishment to rob, I'm afraid, fellows."

Initiative: 1d20+5 6 welp

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 30, 2015

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

Donut kicks his chair back and stands up straight without falling down onto the floor. "I believe you have no such authority to take our cookbook. I wouldn't cause any trouble with these four masters cooks of the Vermin Gourmet style, Poached Cooking style, Raging Fryer Style, and Mystic Concoction style." He is referring to his four friends which Donut has made up their style name for them when he first met them. Alfie is pretty sure Donut made up another name for his style since the first time they have met.

Donut does not pull out any cooking weapon and just stands there.

Initiative: 1d20+4 19 (Actually 20 didnt add +1 to level)

onepiecekenny fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 30, 2015

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Leib'fried
Leib'fried turns sideways in his chair, and grips the giant fork that is propped against the back, putting his left hand on his sword that is sheathed to his right hip.
He turns to the group at the table. "Ha, Are these guys serious?" He then turns to the newcomers. "Like my friends said, this is a bad idea. I'd leave."

Edit: I forgot the initiative roll. Initiative: 1d20+4 13

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 30, 2015

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

The look on the man's face doesn't change, which suggests either idiocy or ridiculous confidence. "My authority is absolute, at the moment. If anyone continues to refuse to comply, I have permission to take their cookbooks by force. Continue to resist, and--"

You never find out exactly WHAT would happen, as up in the rafters a shrill voice screams--"BLUETAILS, HOOOO!" The kobolds have apparently been busily at work on the fastenings of the chandelier they were riding, as it and seven screaming kobolds plummet onto the right side of the wall of thugs in front of the door.

The room erupts into chaos. Brawling breaks out immediately between the kobolds and the thugs. Errin rousts the hayseeds from the bar, who pull weapons from God knows where and make for the kitchen to investigate what happened back there. The other patrons duck for cover, begin throwing tankards and cutlery at the interlopers, or some combination of the two. To their credit, as bought muscle the thugs pull themselves together quickly, though none moreso than the Man with the Hat. All the joy is gone from his sneer as he draws a wicked-looking shortsword. You don't hear what he says as he wades into the kobold brawl, but given that the archers immediately start firing, you can take a guess at its meaning.

Initiative: Flying Bluetails: 1d20+6 19
Initiative: Thugs: 1d20+3 18
Initiative: Archers: 1d20+7 21
Initiative: The Man with the "Hat": 1d20+3 :siren:23:siren:

Man with the Hat attacks Flying Bluetails! Beating Up Those Smaller Than Him: 1d20+7 23!! Does 6 damage, one of the archers is down! The underlings are getting confident!
Archers fire! One is preoccupied, others shoot at Lieb'fried and Daria! Thwip, Thwip!! 9 damage to Daria!

Initiative Order:
The Man with the Hat
Archers
>"Jelly" Do-nuts
Flying Bluetails
Nebulous 18 Zone: Thugs, Alfie, Daria
Liebfried
Christophe

Goddamn, these guys rolled well. So begins the first combat! Gold pogs are you! Green are friendly, and red are enemies. You can roughly think of the Full Boar in three zones: Fireplace, where you guys are now, Front Door, where most of the action is, and the Bar, where Errin and the Brushers are. Back rooms count as their own zone--anything in a zone counts effectively as nearby unless I say it doesn't due to standout circumstances. The enemies are all human, but the armor on those archers is stupidly intricate and looks mighty flammable...

Pingcode and McP, pop into the IRC when you can and give me a straight d20 roll, highest goes first. The Thugs rolled a 9.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 09:58 on May 30, 2015

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Daria Damsel

"Ack, pits that hurts!"
Daria tugs at the new arrow shaft on her person, but decides to leave it for now. Instead she joins the kobolds currently being beat on by the fashion disaster of a leader.
"Well, you can't say we didn't warn you. And here's what I think of your drat stupid attack plans."
She slaps him, hard, across the face, leaving a red welt. He turns back, obviously confused why she'd start with something so weak.
Except now he isn't wearing his hat.
"Now isn't that better? Your head shape isn't really suited for this anyway. Hey Cristophe, catch!"
Daria throws the ratlike thing across the room, where it lands neatly on top of Christophe's toque.

Move to engage Hatman
Thief's Strike vs Hatman: 1d20+5 20 1d8+4 2 damage, and roll a save...
Steal Save: 1d20 19 makes it! I steal his stupid hat!
Quick action, toss the hat at Christophe

Use Roll With it if I get hit by another 9 damage arrow, take half damage from that attack.

pre:
Daria Damsel
Stats		At-Will	
HP 12/21 (00)	Thief's Strike	
AC 14		Roll With it (M)	
PD 14		Evasive Strike	
MD 13		Sure Cut (M)
		Flying Blade
Recoveries 8/8 (1d8+1)	Momentum YES
Melee: 1d20+5+ED; 1d8+4

M.c.P fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 30, 2015

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

As soon as the archers shot there arrow towards them, Donut rushed towards them hoping onto a table. The. Leaping between them, "No one has the right to take something that put there hard work and sweat into it." Still unarmed Donut pushes archers bow aside with his left palm and then jabs the archer in the neck with his right thumb.

Attack: 1d20+5 24
Damage: 1d6+1d8+4 9

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

I hosed up. You're really not supposed to be able to move directly into melee with the archers. The thugs ought to stop you. If you wouldn't mind, Kenny, could you revise your post? A more complete post on my end will come tomorrow.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 30, 2015

onepiecekenny
Apr 2, 2007

Which side is the head?
Riceball "Jelly" Donuts

(Revised I dont have access to my pdf so playing by memory)

As soon as the archers shot there arrow towards them, Donut rushed towards them hoping onto a table. "No one has the right to take something that put there hard work and sweat into it." He says while hopping from tabel to table, he then leaps towards one of the guards and jabs his two thumb into his neck.

Using one of my attack forms.
Benifits: +1 ac: current ac 17

Attack: 1d20+5 24
Damage: 1d6+1d8+4 9

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Alfie Butterny

Alfie leaps up onto the table and scoops the hat up off Christophe's toque with a flick of his knife, spinning it around on the end. "Hey, you! Over here!" he whoops, waving it around to catch the eye of an archer and scurrying away under a table near the window. "I'm going to go see how many friends he's got, try to keep them bottled up in the entrance!" he says to Lieb'fried as he hurries off.

When he's there, he peeks out the window, looking for what kinds of backup this guy had.

Battle Chant vs Archer: 1d20+5 15
Battle Chant Damage vs Archer: 1d6+4 6
Spot Ridiculous Hat Bandit: 1d20+4 15

Battle Cry: Move It! on Leib'Fried

(EDIT: Hurf durf rolled a nat 10, which means no pull it together but yes move it)

Pingcode fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 31, 2015

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

What Alfie Saw

There's nothing out in the street. That's not surprising, in this storm... or is it? These guys are good, but taking only this many men to fight at least three cook-explorer companies seems really foolish. More than that, you don't see anyone. No-one huddling in doorways or alleys for shelter, nobody running down any nearby streets, no skulking, for Gods' sake. This is Glitterhaegen. Something's always going on. Why is it so empty suddenly?

The Battle Rages!

While you can't predict what the thugs were expecting, a leaping monk thumb-striking them in the neck was probably pretty low on the list. The thug takes the hit badly, and staggers backwards, with his buddy having to grab him to keep him from falling over. The archer behind him is no help, having been badly distracted by Alfie's shenanigans. Thug 2 from the left is now staggered.

The Man with the Hat was clearly expecting what you're doing with his hat to be the LAST thing on his list, and his face shows open surprise, with a little bit of shock--the first new emotion since you've seen him. "That--hey!" He's not happy. He gets less happy as two of the Bluetails flip at him, knives flashing, and he starts to rethink his decisions in life.

Hat Man has lost his hat! Is now Man with No Hat! Thugs have lost confidence!

The thugs rally, and start to move--splitting down the middle to face threats from two sides. For cheap muscle they're showing a lot of coordination, with two of them holding back to make sure the archers stay protected. There's still quite a few of them, however--two move on Do, two on Daria, and the others try to contain the Bluetails.

Thugs Attack!: 6#1d20+5 25 11 14 10 19 25 Do takes 4 damage. The Bluetails take 7 damage!

One of them gets a glancing blow on Do. The ones on the other side of the room are having less fun--the ones fighting Daria can't even hit her, and while another kobold goes sailing out of the fight into a nearby booth, three of the Bluetails have jumped bodily onto one of the thugs and are ramming him into the booth divider. Thug 7 is also now staggered.

Errin has disappeared behind the bar. The Brushers have moved fully into the kitchen; it takes about three seconds before the sounds of battle, and more screams from the cooking staff, can be heard through the mostly closed door.

Initiative Order:
The Man with No Hat
Archers
"Jelly" Do-nuts
Flying Bluetails
Alfie
Daria
Thugs
>Lieb'fried
Christophe

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 31, 2015

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Christophe D'Argent

As the others charged in the fray, Christophe stayed mostly where he was. Hacking and slashing wasn't really his style, but a bit of precision knifework might help even the odds. He sidled around to the opposite side of the table and gave it a good shove, snatching his blue concoction off the tabletop as he did so. It tipped forward with a crash, spilling plates, cups, and silverware everywhere. He crouched behind it, and, leaning out of cover, sent two steak knives spinning towards the thugs fighting with Do.

The first knife embedded itself in the arm of the thug Do had attacked, piercing the armor easily and eliciting a yelp of surprise and pain. The second thug saw the knife coming and ducked, and it only slashed a shallow cut across the side of his head on its way towards the opposite wall. Christophe, for his part, retrieved a few more knives from his coat, ready to try again.

Moving behind the table and using it as cover

Knife throw vs. staggered thug engaged with Do: 1d20+5 19 1d4+4 8 damage
Even roll, double ranged attack

Second knife vs. other thug engaged with Do: 1d20+7 11 miss, 1 damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Leib'fried

Leib'fried sighs heavily then stands, gripping the fork. "Well, I havn't gotten my food yet. You are interupting my meal. You don't want to see me when I'm hungry!. He charges and attacks the goon to the north of Do (on his left).

Rage Attack Roll: 2d20+5 4 and 11 17 vs. AC. (Forgot +1 for two weapon mastery).
Damage Roll: 1d6+4 5 damage,.

Edit: I forgot, miss damage is 2.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 31, 2015

• Locked thread