Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Do you think there are phone games that are decent? It seems most games gravitate to the puzzle (chu chu rocket) strategy (hitman go) or endless runner (rayman fiesta) trifecta, but since I lick the humidity from plants for survival, I don't think I ever purchased any game from mobile. I'm curious since I think, by probability if nothing else, amongst the billion of bejeweles clones there must be good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
puzzle games i like:

alcazar http://www.theincrediblecompany.com/alcazar-1/
i also do crosswords, and theres picross and picross 3d clones

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

You can pirate game apks and install them manually Arf

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Anything more traditional action oriented? or maybe it's a fool's errand given that input methods are so different to standard gaming stuff

maybe a better question would be what games actually were well designed around touch input?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I downloaded a GBA emulator for my phone if that counts.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i got this from a humble bundle once and liked it http://www.kumobius.com/presskits/sheet.php?p=duet i guess super hexagon is also like that but you probably know about it

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

desert golfing is the ultimate phone game

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

elf help book posted:

i got this from a humble bundle once and liked it http://www.kumobius.com/presskits/sheet.php?p=duet i guess super hexagon is also like that but you probably know about it

As a Millennial I posted:

desert golfing is the ultimate phone game

Please explain

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

ArfJason posted:

Do you think there are phone games that are decent? It seems most games gravitate to the puzzle (chu chu rocket) strategy (hitman go) or endless runner (rayman fiesta) trifecta, but since I lick the humidity from plants for survival, I don't think I ever purchased any game from mobile. I'm curious since I think, by probability if nothing else, amongst the billion of bejeweles clones there must be good stuff.

trials frontier , although, i dont see why anyone wouldnt just play fusion instead.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Super Hexagon and that Cube game where you roll a cube around 3D levels.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You would think that turn based JRPGs would match pretty easily to a touch screen control but the movement always feels really bad

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Super Hexagon, Calculords and PvZ are the only ones Ive played and their all good in their own dumb ways. But I only really play any of them once or twice a year and I can only beat the first level of Hexagon because my thumbs are idiot.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

gently caress phone games

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
i like rune story and final fantasy record keeper

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

If anyone knows of any cool sims or business management slash tycoon type games for the phone, [YOSPOS voice] Holla at ya boy!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

If anyone knows of any cool sims or business management slash tycoon type games for the phone, [YOSPOS voice] Holla at ya boy!

thats a concept popular with nongamers so every single phone game like that is a f2p pile of poo poo

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I downloaded like three phone games in a row because I needed something to do and was away from my console. Not only were all three terrible, but they were almost identical. Same friend system, same lottery system, same IAP, everything. Phone games are a cancer.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

A Game of Phones

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I played Ghost Trick on a tablet and it controls good and is still one of the best games ever. Check it out

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

In Training posted:

You would think that turn based JRPGs would match pretty easily to a touch screen control but the movement always feels really bad

i had some fun with final fantasy dimensions

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
There are a fair few rhythm action games for phone but Deemo is the only one I really enjoyed because the piano-based gameplay feels good on the touchscreen. if you're the type to like dj max technika style stuff check out Cytus

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
gemini rue was a pretty decent point-and-click game, and there's a version for that for phone. However i remember there being action minigames and i'm not sure how the touch screen controls work for those so be wary. -g0m

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i rly like tower defense games and theres lots of goodies for that, but i understand a lot of ppl get sick of those fast

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ArfJason posted:

Please explain

no loading screens. you can start/stop it at any point and it saves exactly where you were. it requires no thought and can be played with one hand while you wipe your rear end with the other. this is what i want in a Phone Game.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
stone soup's port is acceptable

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I really like a game called Sword and Glory (I know it's available for Android but unsure about ios).

It's set in Finland sometime before its full christianization. You play a young warrior who ideally grows to become king of the area you live in, but in about 15 hours of gameplay I've never come close because combat is friggin' deadly and a single mistake can and will kill you. Gameplay consists of cyoa-style events that pass time (you eventually grow old and die, but again never made it that far) interspersed with combat. There's a leveling/perk system that gates off certain events (none of the thieving events happen if you're not a thief frex) and so forth.

So yeah, I like it a lot and it's free (there's a persistent upgrade thing with a currency you can earn pretty quickly via playing or via IAPs, but I've never felt the need and it seems pretty cheap all told if you do want to buy it).

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Hearthstone.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Hearthstone.

thread ttle isnt phoned in games!!!

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

hitman go is good. 10000000 or whatever the number is, is good. both of those cost real money up front though instead of having f2p cash shop and i guess some people arent into that. they're also both kinda short in comparison to full games on real platforms.

i've never seen a good action game on phones ever. even on tablets with much larger screen, the ones i have seen still dont control well enough to be good.

i'd be amazed if there werent a good rhythm game for phones since that genre seems like it could be a good fit for small touch screen inteface, but i dont know what that game would be.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

ArfJason posted:

thread ttle isnt phoned in games!!!

lol.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

My phone that had a GBA emulator got stolen with all the save files on it qq

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i just wonder since basically you can get a game going on 4 directional inputs and one button and input options on phones include tapping, holding and the slide. twewy proved to me that stylus combat can be good (even if moving neku could sometimes prove hassling) but it still hinged on a second combat format that used the dpad coupled with the stylus parts.

since you have 3 input methods, tap, hold and slide, there must be some form of game that can work, that isnt something that has already been explored, like endless runners or fruit ninjas

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

ArfJason posted:

i just wonder since basically you can get a game going on 4 directional inputs and one button and input options on phones include tapping, holding and the slide. twewy proved to me that stylus combat can be good (even if moving neku could sometimes prove hassling) but it still hinged on a second combat format that used the dpad coupled with the stylus parts.

since you have 3 input methods, tap, hold and slide, there must be some form of game that can work, that isnt something that has already been explored, like endless runners or fruit ninjas

there's like, sniping games where the whole time you look through a scope and try to take dudes out or whatever. but the aiming naturally feels kind of floaty compared to a good shooting game if the input is based on sliding the reticle around, at least for the ones i've tried (my dad has a tablet and likes to download random garbage). also the whole game is basically just a series of zoomed-in turret sequences so its not even inherently fun enough of a premise to put up with bad gamefeel.

Faith For Two
Aug 27, 2015
Sudoku Joy for the iPhone is the best free sudoku app imo. The only two other games I have on my phone are hearthstone and puzzle & dragons.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I use a Nexus but here is a list of some great ones that will work for your big screen phone:

-Door kickers. Real time pause-able top down Swat team simulator. Like the planning phase in the old rainbow 6 games Really nice controls and progression
-Frozen Synapse. Turn based version of the above but more cyberpunk. Multi Player
-Breach and Clear. Mixes the two.
-Galaxy on Fire. space sim, pretty decent
-Out There. Kinda an FTL lite. frustrating, but pretty and fun.
-Max Payne. Ok Port
-GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas. Port
-X-com Enemy Unknown. Really stripped down port. Not the best but it's X-com on a phone!
-Banner Saga, hard on small phones
-Baldur's Gate 1,2 hard on small phones
-This war of mine, pretty good quality port
-Grim Fandango, beautiful but big file size
-Blackwell series/ Gemini Rue, perfect ports of great games.
-Machinarium. really suited to a phone
-Thomas Was Alone. Very smooth and loses nothing
-Tomb raider (ps 1) a little hard to control
-Shadowrun, perfect but you need a big screen
-Star Wars Knights Of the Old Republic. Takes some getting used to but excellent.

All ports, all pretty sweet depending on your hardware. There are a ton of decent games kicking around. My standouts in terms of quality are Star Wars, Thomas Was Alone, Shadowrun and all the point and click games.

You can also run emulators and play Megadrive, Snes and even PSP games though I have never bothered. Really easy to set up and the touch controls are quite good for most. I have a pad I sometimes use and it's as good as any handheld.

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 3, 2015

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

thats frightening

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I used to like playing those japanese bullethell games like dodonpachi on my iphone. Touch controls makes it much easier and smooth.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

elf help book posted:

gently caress phone games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i beat out there on my first try and had no desire to replay it for a different ending

• Locked thread