Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
First let me say I love Rowan Atkinson's "Mr Bean" series. I have them all on dvd. I've wanted to drive his little yellow car (are they real?).

However I cannot help but noticing;

1. Mr. Bean never works a real job so I dont know where he makes any money.

2. His basic gag is to make fun of rules, standards, and most parts of civilized society. He cuts in line at the hospital. He sneaks into a parking garage for free. He cheats on a test. He shoplifts in a store. He pokes fun of serious occasions like church services, weddings, funerals, and even visiting the queen.

3. He provides no real benefit to society. His only "friend" is his girlfriend and he treats her poorly.

All this yet he gets by just fine.

So I have to ask, is this a common theme in British comedy? At least in American comedy the characters hold jobs and follow rules.

He really is a poor example of a person to follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 4, 2010

Mr bean has a girlfriend and i dont

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Those things (especially #2) are anathema to the Brits which is why Mr. Bean, a fumbling buffoon, does them. Thus an extra layer of humor over the immediate 'watch this dude try to be sneaky and fail.'

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

No. He was an electrical engineer who got into acting. Good example of doing what you like, IMO.

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks

Chill la Chill posted:

No. He was an electrical engineer who got into acting. Good example of doing what you like, IMO.

i did something similar only replace "acting" with "retard masturbating"

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Watch the episode where he manages to avoid being late for a dentist appointment by getting dressed and brushing his teeth whilst driving and try to tell me that's not someone you should look up to.

He also manages to steal a sweet comic book from some dumb bitch kid in the waiting room, too.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
the joke is it's a show about life through the eyes of the mentally handicapped, OP

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've gotten in to the habbit when someone is dressed particularly good to tell them they're dropping more panties than Mr. Bean at a Victoria Secret - it's not my joke but it always gets a chuckle

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Um, gee, thanks a loving lot for the spoilers rear end in a top hat.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Um, gee, thanks a loving lot for the spoilers rear end in a top hat.

Mr. Bean is Han's crazy brother-in-law and he inadvertently blows up the Death Star

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Bean is a literal manchild and typical Brit.

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.
Why are you dissecting all the loopholes in a comedy that follows the life of a severely disabled man?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Laurenz posted:

Why are you dissecting all the loopholes in a comedy that follows the life of a severely disabled man?

Actually Mr Bean is the greatest living Briton including Harry Potter and James Bond and Dr Who, excuse you

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

Noone in Britain has given a poo poo about Mr bean since 1996.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Mr Bean is actually black.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
mr. bean: food waster

Abrahamsen
Jul 1, 2009
I remeber liking Mr. Beam as a kid. Mr. Bean would alway hijinx everybody in the room no matter the circumstance!

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Abrahamsen posted:

I remeber liking Mr. Beam as a kid. Mr. Bean

now all i got is mr. jim beam

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Mr. Bean is actually an empowering character. He shows that even a man with advanced autism can afford a flat, hold a series of odd jobs, and drive his car on the roof

Abrahamsen
Jul 1, 2009

A misanthrope posted:

now all i got is mr. jim beam

Haha typicality!

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
I wish I had a magical bottomless pocket full of pens like Mr. Bean.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I didn't realize Mr Bean was a comedy I just figured it was reality TV following a typical Brit. :shrug:

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Kuato posted:

I didn't realize Mr Bean was a comedy I just figured it was reality TV following a typical Brit. :shrug:

racism against british people is the only acceptable racism imo

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
ten years ago we had cash jobs hope and bean now we have no cash hope bean or jobs thanks

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Mr. Bean is probably a civil engineer or chartered accountant that works for the government.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Ein cooler Typ posted:

First let me say I love Rowan Atkinson's "Mr Bean" series. I have them all on dvd. I've wanted to drive his little yellow car (are they real?).

However I cannot help but noticing;

1. Mr. Bean never works a real job so I dont know where he makes any money.

2. His basic gag is to make fun of rules, standards, and most parts of civilized society. He cuts in line at the hospital. He sneaks into a parking garage for free. He cheats on a test. He shoplifts in a store. He pokes fun of serious occasions like church services, weddings, funerals, and even visiting the queen.

3. He provides no real benefit to society. His only "friend" is his girlfriend and he treats her poorly.

All this yet he gets by just fine.

So I have to ask, is this a common theme in British comedy? At least in American comedy the characters hold jobs and follow rules.

He really is a poor example of a person to follow.

cast a mexican, rename it "Mr. Beaner" and you got a hit show for the US market

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
mr bean's girlfriend is drat ugly.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
Yeah I thought mr bean was like edutainment on how to deal with autistic retards who don't follow the rules

ie - ignore them and hope they'll go away

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows
The clues to Mr. Bean's origin are in the opening sequence. He's an alien sent to study us.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Mr bean is what the OP'S mom calls my dick :grin:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Mr. Bean is teaching our children how to eat turkeys wrong.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Mr. Bean is the Charlie Chaplin of goons. He's smug, he thinks hes clever when he isn't, and he has no social graces.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Nooner posted:

Mr bean is what the OP'S mom calls my dick :grin:

So it's really tiny and misshapen? Goondolences. :smith:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Yeah, a lot of our older comedy shows have people being angry, miserable and poor, just like in real life.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwzjlmBLfrQ

I did, and still do, feel an unironic surge of patriotic pride at this moment.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

my first car was a mini and i can confirm they do indeed exist

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Bogan Krkic posted:

my first car was a mini and i can confirm they do indeed exist

what's your avatar from everytime I see it I wonder about it

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i think it is wonderful that a show starring a deeply mentally sick man has the following it does it just goes to show anyone can achieve success

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
he is basically the smartest fog-breather to ever live, a credit to his race

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky
May 18, 2003

My favorite episode is where he did that thing super simplistic task and managed to make it exceedingly difficult and complicated.

• Locked thread