Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

What is it?
The Culling is a FPS currently in early access on steam for ~$15. It is basically an Unreal Engine 4 Driven "Hunger Games" battle arena where you run, craft, and kill your opponents.

What's it like?
Very similar to H1Z1 battle royal but with a decent engine driving it. The games are relatively short (~20 minutes) that progressively force players to fight by an encroaching wall of toxic gas.

The games allows for you to customize your playstyle by selecting 3 perks as well as selecting an "Airdrop" that will always give you a powerful set of items for currency. You start off with a limited number of Airdrops, but can unlock more using the "Surprise Me!" Airdrop or by opening other Airdrops that appear in the game. You can also, of course, play dress up (currently only male models are selectable, presumably females will come out later in release).

You generate currency by running around, surviving, killing other opponents, looting decayed bodies, and scrapping items you've picked up.

Is it worth $15
The game is intense. The end of the round is particularly intense because there's little room to hide. It's got a "Very Positive" rating on steam. Currently, there are only servers in North America, so latency may be an issue if you're not :patriot:.

Any tips?
Generally, it's better to have other people fight and try to pick off the weakened survivor destroy everyone. The blowgun is a decent item to craft as it causes DPS as well as a brief stunlock while the opponents vomit, but you should experiment with all the craftable items to see what you like best. The tutorial explains crafting, and all the recipes can be accessed quickly by hitting escape or checking out the bottom of this post.

As I've been unlocking Airdrops I've been using Stealthy (so enemies can't hear me and it makes it easier to runaway), Backpacker (so I can loot more stuff to salvage), and Load Dropper (so when I get enough currency I don't have to worry about getting sniped when the Airdrop arrives). This does leave me generally weaker than the folks that pick combat perks, but I'm having fun so I don't mind the trade-off.

Can I play with other goons?
There's a team mode that pairs up groups of 2. Hard to tell if you can load a server with just goons yet, but if anyone figures out how to do that I'll update the OP. The steam group is http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Cullingoons .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImybGdgBH3A

You can get rocks by hit hitting stone. You can get sticks by hitting trees
You can access a crafting table by hitting escape:

More tips:
  • You can throw basically anything to do damage. Bind a good key for throwing. Usually I'll try to get someone down to low health then finish them off by throwing my weapon. Fun when it works!
  • You can get F.U.N.C. by activating poison traps.
  • Backstabbing (when you can get it off) has a big payoff
  • If you're not using the instant Airdrop perk, hit your delivery out of the air to get it quicker
  • You get points just by entering structures, even if there's no loot in there
A MAP!

milkman dad fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.
Unfortunately this game has block/shove/punch melee combat, with nothing like stamina, feints, or dodges to break the cycle. Combat gets repetitive quickly, and it doesn't take long to realize that whoever has the best weapon and swings the fastest is going to win 99% of the time. Also this game doesn't have a comprehensive tutorial, and won't make any mention of the fact that you can punch trees to get sticks. I spent my first match wandering around a forest for ten minutes trying to find a goddamn stick before someone took pity and told me to read the reddit thread.

E: I'm pretty sure this game was my first ever steam refund, so that's something noteworthy.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Noun Verber posted:

Unfortunately this game has block/shove/punch melee combat, with nothing like stamina, feints, or dodges to break the cycle. Combat gets repetitive quickly, and it doesn't take long to realize that whoever has the best weapon and swings the fastest is going to win 99% of the time. Also this game doesn't have a comprehensive tutorial, and won't make any mention of the fact that you can punch trees to get sticks. I spent my first match wandering around a forest for ten minutes trying to find a goddamn stick before someone took pity and told me to read the reddit thread.

E: I'm pretty sure this game was my first ever steam refund, so that's something noteworthy.

The game has stamina and melee weapon applied status effects. If you're just going to run at someone with a stick or a rock, yeah the combat will be repetitive. Aside from melee though there are grenades, ranged weapons, and traps, which aren't as binary.

I'm posting a video of the gameplay so it's more clear how the combat works out, even though I get owned.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Noun Verber posted:

Also this game doesn't have a comprehensive tutorial, and won't make any mention of the fact that you can punch trees to get sticks.

Well, gently caress me.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
looks pretty neat, thinking about getting it

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I have played it for about 3 hours or so and having a blast so far, definately worth a try.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Really fun game and a reasonable price too which is kind of rare in these EA nightmare-scapes. I actually really recommend people check it out, I will be in the goon group if anyone wants to play.

By the way, the make no noise when running/crafting utility perk is OP as gently caress, use it.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
This game is loving awesome. Get a buddy and do the co-op mode for sure.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Been watching a bit on Twitch, looks interesting. Is there only one map?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Noun Verber posted:

For a game that has such an emphasis on melee combat, their melee combat system sucks.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

H2SO4 posted:

Been watching a bit on Twitch, looks interesting. Is there only one map?

Seems that way yeah but its pretty big and varied.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Alexander DeLarge posted:

For a game that has such an emphasis on melee combat, their melee combat system sucks.

The emphasis of the game is not on melee combat unless you want it to be. Bows are really decent. I just played a round specced out as a spear thrower and I got the most kills I've gotten so far.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

milkman dad posted:

The emphasis of the game is not on melee combat unless you want it to be. Bows are really decent. I just played a round specced out as a spear thrower and I got the most kills I've gotten so far.

Well I mean the majority of weapons are melee so I'd expect something comparable to Mount&Blade/Chivalry when it comes to melee combat mechanics.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Well I mean the majority of weapons are melee so I'd expect something comparable to Mount&Blade/Chivalry when it comes to melee combat mechanics.

Melee combat needs to be refined for sure, but its not bad. Just won another round in the center arena duking it out with another guy. Tossed some spears, broke some blocks. It was way better than most melee games already.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Melee attacks are notoriously difficult to get right in online games, so I'm willing to give them a pass on this for now, especially considering the game isn't actually out yet.
Hell, the melee attacks in chivalry were notoriously floaty, even though the game revolved around it. They added some serious weight to them though, so they felt good to use.

Edit: I hope they add more maps.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 7, 2016

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

This game is okay. Damage needs to be turned up. If I'm hacking at your with an ice axe for two minutes it kind ruins immersion. Even when you use strategy to hunt down players and backstab, the benefit isn't that great and it just turns into a melee shoving match.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

A couple questions I have:

-How much damage does a blow dart do by default?

-How much bonus damage does a headshot do?

-How much bonus damage does a backstab do (without the backstab perk)?

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
This game isnt half bad. Been playing it off and on since sunday morning.

The best strategy seems so far is to quickly arm yourself and run for the nearest building to start raiding supplies / recycle poo poo you dont need. The faster you do that the faster you gear up the more you can kill people.

The Backpack perk is almost a necessity for said strategy.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Talkc posted:

This game isnt half bad. Been playing it off and on since sunday morning.

The best strategy seems so far is to quickly arm yourself and run for the nearest building to start raiding supplies / recycle poo poo you dont need. The faster you do that the faster you gear up the more you can kill people.

The Backpack perk is almost a necessity for said strategy.

Craft a satchel, use the perk slot for a better perk than backpack. Your first few kills will probably net you a pack anyway.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
After playing this game all weekend and winning the team mode a bunch, here are my great tips for success:

-Get a tier 3 or 4 weapon
-Get a Man Tracker
-Kill Everyone

Everyone sucks at the melee combat, so learn how it works and be crazy aggressive. Killing people is the best way to get FUNC, since you get the cash from murdering them and then more from selling whatever crap they had. Be sure to have a utility item to use before engaging a group. If you don't have one, you can craft smoke grenades easily and cheaply by bringing rocks to the poison vats, and that's definitely worth doing.

Charge your melee attacks. You don't really benefit from finding more powerful weapons unless you use the charge. The damage increase is monumental.

Most important tip: Never be satisfied with other teams wiping out the enemies. The scoreboard in the sky should be screaming your name. If you don't have a gun airdrop, then you want to start wiping everyone out as soon as you have a tier 3 or 4 weapon so that they can't get a gun and beat you. If you do have a gun airdrop, then you want to kill everyone so that you have enough FUNC to call it in. Basically, never stop killing everyone. Get a man tracker and hunt forever.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
Drawing more attention to this game because it's awesome.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So this is like a 20m game of rust, except you don't spawn into a field naked while some guy on top of mcmountiantower made of steel shoots you with a sniper rifle?

Sounds like it could work.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

So this is like a 20m game of rust, except you don't spawn into a field naked while some guy on top of mcmountiantower made of steel shoots you with a sniper rifle?

Sounds like it could work.

Yeah basically. Plus the melee isn't the hot garbage that it is in rust.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Kind of cool, might pick it up. I like Rust like games but they really only have two modes, scrabbing for resources while naked or King Of Bartertown. A 20 minute time limit and more frantic gathering might be the ticket

Iakona
Jan 24, 2006

I haven't played rust or any game like this, but after watching a stream for a couple hours I'm intrigued enough to at least pay $14. My biggest complaint is it seems like you spend more time crafting, and gathering resources, than you do murdering. Guess I'll see if it's worth it.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

Sokani posted:

After playing this game all weekend and winning the team mode a bunch, here are my great tips for success:

-Get a tier 3 or 4 weapon
-Get a Man Tracker
-Kill Everyone

Everyone sucks at the melee combat, so learn how it works and be crazy aggressive. Killing people is the best way to get FUNC, since you get the cash from murdering them and then more from selling whatever crap they had. Be sure to have a utility item to use before engaging a group. If you don't have one, you can craft smoke grenades easily and cheaply by bringing rocks to the poison vats, and that's definitely worth doing.

Charge your melee attacks. You don't really benefit from finding more powerful weapons unless you use the charge. The damage increase is monumental.

Most important tip: Never be satisfied with other teams wiping out the enemies. The scoreboard in the sky should be screaming your name. If you don't have a gun airdrop, then you want to start wiping everyone out as soon as you have a tier 3 or 4 weapon so that they can't get a gun and beat you. If you do have a gun airdrop, then you want to kill everyone so that you have enough FUNC to call it in. Basically, never stop killing everyone. Get a man tracker and hunt forever.

If you're in duos with one guy having a gun and the other having a man tracker the game is basically over if you're quick. This happens surprisingly often once you get one or the other too.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I've been having trouble getting the man tracker to work. Do you have to be within X distance of someone for it to go off or something?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I don't know why they even included crafting, the Hunger Games formula would have probably been even more fun: Rush to grab weapons/traps in center, have customizable care-package and stats that can be leveled up between games, and then just go to town while the arena tries to force you together or kill you.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Thor-Stryker posted:

I don't know why they even included crafting, the Hunger Games formula would have probably been even more fun: Rush to grab weapons/traps in center, have customizable care-package and stats that can be leveled up between games, and then just go to town while the arena tries to force you together or kill you.

You don't have to do any kind of crafting if you don't want to.

PantsOptional posted:

I've been having trouble getting the man tracker to work. Do you have to be within X distance of someone for it to go off or something?

You cannot be moving when using it. Stop moving, and hold down LMB.

CaptainAssholay
May 23, 2001

Don't Think
I've been having some issues using the blowgun. Does it take a while for it shoot as part of its design or was I just having really bad lag? I tried using it a few times and I always missed my target because I would try and shoot it and then it would fire a second or two later.

That being said I really dig the games premise and I hope this dev sticks with it because it's got a lot of potential.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
How does this game have so few posts? It's like 12.50 if you buy a two pack directly from them (my brother gifted me a copy, so I don't know if it was humble store or what) and play with a pal.

You're gonna lose a lot of rounds right away as you learn, but you'll still unlock cosmetics and potentially airdrops. (Seriously, to start just put it on "Surprise me!" and buy them when you can to unlock new ones)

P_R_Deltoid
Jun 4, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother? I hurt people

CaptainAssholay posted:

I've been having some issues using the blowgun. Does it take a while for it shoot as part of its design or was I just having really bad lag?

It has a cast time of about a second. You can see the progress bar on your screen when you use it.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

P_R_Deltoid posted:

It has a cast time of about a second. You can see the progress bar on your screen when you use it.

Yeah. Click and hold the mouse to inhale, then you're primed to shoot on release whenever.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Thor-Stryker posted:

Because much like the Hunger Games book, you'd end up with one or two people sitting on the pile of stuff and killing anyone that came near. At least being able to craft tier 1 gear you stand a chance against people.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 9, 2016

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Because much like the Hunger Games book, you'd end up with one or two people sitting on the pile of stuff and killing anyone that came near. At least being able to craft tier 1 gear you stand a chance against people.

I like the crafting option because you're guaranteed to be able to use a weapon-specific perk.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

CaptainAssholay and I had a hilarious team match last night. We spawned relatively close together but were kind of out in the rear end end of nowhere while all the killing action started real early on the other side of the map. After a while (and an incredibly disappointing Surprise Me drop) it came down to us and one other team when map closure forced us all into the center.

Both of the people on the other team had picked the Lumberjack perk and were standing on top of the arena with chainsaws, just waiting. We had some level 3 melee weapons, various boosts, and assorted other crap. CaptainAssholay managed to perfectly bait one of them into running into a snare trap which we thought was never going to work. Ultimately we lost (we killed one of them and got the other one down to 25% HP) but it was a great match with a fun as hell ending.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Watching four dudes flail at each other off in the distance and taking potshots with a bow is surprisingly fun.

Even more fun is sneaking up on a dude, backstabbing him then hurling a branch at the back of his fleeing head for the kill.

I think I would hate this game solo but with two players building off each others strengths its very addictive

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

I think my favorite moment last night was throwing an crafted explosive at a guy and throwing it so accurately it actually bounced off his head (which I assume does damage? There was a pain sound).

The night didn't go consistently that well, sadly!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

PantsOptional posted:

CaptainAssholay and I had a hilarious team match last night. We spawned relatively close together but were kind of out in the rear end end of nowhere while all the killing action started real early on the other side of the map. After a while (and an incredibly disappointing Surprise Me drop) it came down to us and one other team when map closure forced us all into the center.

Both of the people on the other team had picked the Lumberjack perk and were standing on top of the arena with chainsaws, just waiting. We had some level 3 melee weapons, various boosts, and assorted other crap. CaptainAssholay managed to perfectly bait one of them into running into a snare trap which we thought was never going to work. Ultimately we lost (we killed one of them and got the other one down to 25% HP) but it was a great match with a fun as hell ending.

Just so you know, if hit esc you can see what items would be in your surprise me drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

Just so you know, if hit esc you can see what items would be in your surprise me drop.

:stare: Well, that would probably have made a pretty big difference in the match - we would have shoveled all available FUNC to CaptainAssholay since his Surprise Me drop turned out to be Five Oh. Thanks for the heads up, will use this in future.

• Locked thread