Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

give me ideas for questions

software development and security

its a phone interview so no whiteboard garbage and no dumb puzzle questions either

eg "tell me what you think about anti-virus products for personal computers", is an ownage question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Ask him if he has stairs in his house. hahaha!

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Citizen Tayne posted:

Ask him if he has stairs in his house. hahaha!

sick, on the list

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

titaniumone posted:

eg "tell me what you think about anti-virus products for personal computers", is an ownage question
idk what you mean by that but it sounds like a poor interview q (phone or in person)

how about something with a well-determined answer like "what command shows the changes between two versions of a file?"

or "what are symmetric and asymmetric encryption?"

or "what's an access control list? how do you create one in <OS of choice>"

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Gazpacho posted:

idk what you mean by that but it sounds like a poor interview q (phone or in person)

how about something with a well-determined answer like "what command shows the changes between two versions of a file?"

or "what are symmetric and asymmetric encryption?"

or "what's an access control list? how do you create one in <OS of choice>"

it has an extremely well defined answer

the answer is "its not very good and is entirely signature based, maybe as we move towards more of a cloud based "reputation" system we'll start having better success against emerging threats"

its not meant to be a puzzle or whatever its just to find out if you know whats up or not and is short and sweet

your other suggestions are decent though

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

tell be about arrays and linked lists

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ask him if he knows what fizz buzz is. but don't actually ask him fizz buzz.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Bloody posted:

tell be about arrays and linked lists

yeah thats on there, also stacks and heaps, real basic overview poo poo

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

akadajet posted:

:allears: i love this

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
I like to ask super basic open ended questions to throw people off, like "what is an IP address" or "what does encryption do" to really see how people have grasped concepts fundamental to stuff I do.

Or you could ask what kind of fruit they would be if they were a fruit.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
suck him off

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

bump_fn posted:

suck him off

:yeah:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ewiley posted:

I like to ask super basic open ended questions to throw people off, like "what is an IP address" or "what does encryption do" to really see how people have grasped concepts fundamental to stuff I do.

Or you could ask what kind of fruit they would be if they were a fruit.

same. my favorite is "how does the internet work?" and start delving into any of the things he brings up.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

if it's something like a .net interview, ask him to name as many system namespaces he can in 20 seconds.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ask him if he's familiar with "the 219" and if he says yes then hang up the phone immediately

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
if he claims to be an expert in C# for example, ask him to tell you about the bad parts of C#

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

after the phone interview, if it's for java just give them a laptop with this open
http://java.metagno.me/

use the final score to determine if they get the job

Apr 7, 2003

akadajet posted:

after the phone interview, if it's for java just give them a laptop with this open
http://java.metagno.me/

use the final score to determine if they get the job

The first version was written by Rod Johnson,

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

bump_fn posted:

suck him off

the classic telephony knob slob

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

The first version was written by Rod Johnson,

what a manly name

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
about 5 minutes into the interview say excuse me i hate to do this and then 30 seconds later come back and say oh i'm so sorry but i just got a call from my wife who is due any day now and i had to make sure t wasn't an emergency

and then if they say oh that's okay i have kids i understand or i'm pregnant or w/e you'll know not to hire them

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.
Play a dialup connection through the mouthpiece and ask them to walk you through it.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

make a version of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSoOrlh5i1k

but for phone interviews

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

fart really loud and see if he says anything

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
what is ur fav programming lang and why?

thatll get them to tell how much they know about prog and what are upsides/downsides of each. if they dont give a detailed enough answer, u know theyre kinda junior and then u can review there're are resume to see how much they lied

Apr 7, 2003

Suck his dick. If it tastes like a hot dog, you know it's forum poster A Wheezy Steampunk and you can fire/not hire him with impunity.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

angry_keebler posted:

about 5 minutes into the interview say excuse me i hate to do this and then 30 seconds later come back and say oh i'm so sorry but i just got a call from my wife who is due any day now and i had to make sure t wasn't an emergency

and then if they say oh that's okay i have kids i understand or i'm pregnant or w/e you'll know not to hire them

lol

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I like to ask them if they have any hobbies they're in to. typically helps make small talk, you learn smth, and if they spent the weekend rolling a custom kernel on their BSD box maybe that passion translates to something at work. might be better for an in person interview though

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Hed posted:

I like to ask them if they have any hobbies they're in to. typically helps make small talk, you learn smth, and if they spent the weekend rolling a custom kernel on their BSD box maybe that passion translates to something at work. might be better for an in person interview though

you're interviewing them for a job. this isn't a date jfc

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

akadajet posted:

that's basically what happened in my last interview, the two youngest guys had me first and the one's like "so should we do fizz buzz now?" and i rolled my eyes and we all laughed and talked about metal gear solid for half an hour

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

anyway op: ask him what his favorite text editor is.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Hed posted:

gently caress You

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

like personally i would love to spend all my free time fuckin with arduinos and making robots and poo poo but sadly i am an adult with responsibilities and a goddamn life to live

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ask him what he likes to eat. if it's anything but soylent, then you know he isn't committed to Computers. any second spent cooking could be spent programming a Computer.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

GameCube posted:

gently caress You

Apr 7, 2003

GameCube posted:

that's basically what happened in my last interview, the two youngest guys had me first and the one's like "so should we do fizz buzz now?" and i rolled my eyes and we all laughed and talked about metal gear solid for half an hour

I"m hoping that my massive video game knowledge that I repress here because my YOSPOS persona is too cool for video games will help me get another job in the future. i sure know the games.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
if you ask F.B. you have literally no imagination and are prolly a sperg

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
use one of those web based shared editors and ask him to write something ridiculously easy and then compare his answer to the first answer on snackoverflow

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Again and again, in interviews and surveys, one is asked what hobby one has. If the illustrated magazines report on one of those entertainment celebrities, of whom to speak constitutes a preoccupation with the same, they seldom fail to list, more or less intimately, the person's hobbies. In the self-explanatory quality of the question of what hobbies one has, it resonates that one must have some; perhaps even a selection that matches the leisure business's offerings. Organized freedom is compulsory. Woe if you have no hobby, no free time activity. Then you are a swot, an old-timer, an eccentric, and subject to ridicule in a society that dictates to you what your free time shall be. This compulsion is not only an external one. It knits itself into the needs of people under the functioning system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool tree bro
Jul 27, 2010
Ask him to walk you through jacking yourself off.

• Locked thread