Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
every day we encounter lil things that are weird and unknown mysteries. not big things like God and why to gently caress, just tiny things like "how do dreadlocks happen?" and "are foxes dogs or cats?" and usually we just ask our phones but frankly that's poo poo and we should ask each other, here, ITT. plus sometimes google can't think good like we do so.a goon fellow will be a better answerer

my mystery:
my room is pretty cool, I have a nice desk, lots of pretty paintings I made, a bed with a lot of springs and some drawers underneath where I keep my meditation buttpillow and snacks/offerings to the deities on my shrine, a shrine, a closet, and a window with a cosmic-lesson-teaching view:

however there is a secret place attached to my room. it's bigger than a closet, it has its own tiny sliver of a window, a mirror with a cool medicine cabinet behind it, and a cabinet above the mirror. I can't figure out why it exists. i checked, it's not a tiny tiny bathroom with the shitter and the sink removed. every room above and below mine in this building has a tiny roomlet, but just our rooms, every other room on each floor has no special place. someone told me it's a special nun room for nuns to be "alone with christ" which seems fuckin retarded, and I Keep googling variations of "gay retarded tiny nun closet off bedroom in old as gently caress brownstones" and I can't find anything relevant

can anyone help me solve this small mystery? is it a special wanking room, as I have been using it? is it where I make the lady go "put on her face" without letting her leave my room and go to the bathroom where I risk a more powerful roommate may take her as his/her own? tiny dexter room for kills? should my shrine go in here where I can keep it as a secret shame?

help me solve my tiny mystery or post your own tiny mystery and ill help you solve it along with other nice friendly helpful goons who want to be of service

big mysteries are too much for this thread so pm me and we can philosophize privately :bigtran:

cya later buds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
no gently caress you

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it's where you grow the weed, op

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

it is a prayer closet op it is where you go to be ashamed of yourself for thinking about boobs
the cabinet is where you keep the cat o'nine tails and your rosary, duh.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

does anybody know where my will to live went? i lost it a while ago and i'm kinda sad without it tbh

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
sometimes lying on the floor staring up at the ceiling isn't a bad thing

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i have a similar tiny room. i dont know if this is its intended use, but i store my evil twin in there

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It was an ensuite bathroom and someone removed the shitter to turn it into a walk in closet.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Gatekeeper posted:

"how do dreadlocks happen?"

a famous king was cursed to have terrible ropes of hair by a dreadful warlock and the hairstyle became known as the "dreadful warlock" and was eventually shortned to dreadlock

Gatekeeper posted:

"are foxes dogs or cats?"

cats

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I think I saw one of those on HBO's Autopsy, it's a room where you seal yourself in and shoot yourself where your family can't find the body so they just think you disappeared. Eventually you get declared dead and they get to collect on your life insurance.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
It's a "freak out zone", op.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Quote-Unquote posted:

does anybody know where my will to live went? i lost it a while ago and i'm kinda sad without it tbh

every day once a day give yourself a present and I bet you will find it (=

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It was an ensuite bathroom and someone removed the shitter to turn it into a walk in closet.

nope, I thought so at first too but no plumbing in it

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I think I saw one of those on HBO's Autopsy, it's a room where you seal yourself in and shoot yourself where your family can't find the body so they just think you disappeared. Eventually you get declared dead and they get to collect on your life insurance.

ooh, solving my mystery with a way to create a new mystery!!! this is gonna be a good.thread I can feel it coming in the air today

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Gatekeeper posted:

ooh, solving my mystery with a way to create a new mystery!!! this is gonna be a good.thread I can feel it coming in the air today

That episode of autopsy always freaked me out when I was a kid because I missed the part about the dude shooting himself and just heard that the room was air-tight so I assumed he locked himself in there and slowly suffocated to death. I probably shouldn't have watched autopsy as a kid.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
You might have a Lazlo infestation.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

FlimFlam Imam posted:

You might have a Lazlo infestation.

i think you are right...
i just went in there and closed the door behind me
a cabinet door opened with a secret message written inside

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

the balls are coming from inside the house :smugmrgw:

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

the balls are coming from inside the house :smugmrgw:

:smugmrgw:

Other Barry
Jun 5, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
foxes are much more closely related to dogs, it's hyenas that are more closely related to cats

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

Other Barry posted:

foxes are much more closely related to dogs, it's hyenas that are more closely related to cats

no, thats not right at all. leave your cat outside long enough and it will turn into a fox

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

bears are also dog?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I have a mystery. How do microphones work? Is it just a speaker in reverse?

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

Gatekeeper posted:

bears are also dog?

yeah. bigguns

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
why can't I get a girlfriend

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
hello op i have quite a few mysteries in my life i need solving most of them involve a cabal of shadowy figures gang stalking me every hour of every day of my life since at least the age of 14 i require your assistance in bringing to light truths that may very well change the very course of history and usher in a new age of enlightenment, peace, and harmony among all men but only if you have the courage and fortitude to do the needful.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
gently caress you for not posting pictures of the pocket room.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
Post a picture of the room so I can help you and hten post a picture of your yard in the yard thread.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Minimalist Program posted:

Post a picture of the room so I can help you and hten post a picture of your yard in the yard thread.

it would be quite a humorous twist if the room were inhabited by a dog wearing sunglasses or some sort of devil-may-care duck

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

op is this room large enough to be a torture dungeon? or small enough to serve as a generously proportioned iron maiden or "chokey"? if neither then i gotta say this room is an awkward middle size and of no practical use

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Why do people make websites where you can't right click and select open in new tab and have it work? Like if you just click on the link it works, but if you try to open in a new tab the new tab just opens up a blank screen title "about:blank". What in the everloving gently caress?! GOD loving DAMMIT.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
how do i post good?

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

notZaar posted:

I have a mystery. How do microphones work? Is it just a speaker in reverse?

Dynamic microphones (the most common type) are speakers in reverse; a speaker takes electrical signals and uses it to move a speaker cone attached to a magnet inside a wire coil. A microphone has a diaphragm connected to a magnet inside a wire coil; when the diaphragm moves the magnet, it generates electricity in the wire. With the right adapter you can yell into headphones and get audio.

That's how dynamic mics work at least. Other types like condenser mics are actually powered by sinister magic; nobody knows exactly why they work but it's believed they trap the spirits of the recently departed. It's why condenser mics run on something called phantom power.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

i want a secret autism escape hatch like yours OP

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

stillvisions posted:

Dynamic microphones (the most common type) are speakers in reverse; a speaker takes electrical signals and uses it to move a speaker cone attached to a magnet inside a wire coil. A microphone has a diaphragm connected to a magnet inside a wire coil; when the diaphragm moves the magnet, it generates electricity in the wire. With the right adapter you can yell into headphones and get audio.

That's how dynamic mics work at least. Other types like condenser mics are actually powered by sinister magic; nobody knows exactly why they work but it's believed they trap the spirits of the recently departed. It's why condenser mics run on something called phantom power.

this just raises the question of how magnets work

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

my cat always smells like piss. she is 14 or 15 i think and she smells like piss. if i snff her head its piss, if i sniff her body its piss too. she always smells like piss. why does she smell like piss?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

ghostter posted:

my cat always smells like piss. she is 14 or 15 i think and she smells like piss. if i snff her head its piss, if i sniff her body its piss too. she always smells like piss. why does she smell like piss?

Your cat is probably unable to piss due to old age. So the piss is infiltrating her other bodily fluids and she is starting to sweat it out.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
also, stop peeing on your cat

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ghostter posted:

Her kidneys don't work no more and its coming out of her skin

Dialysis patients have that same trick up their sleeve sometimes of smelling like piss from head to toe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

Her kidneys don't work no more and its coming out of her skin

Dialysis patients have that same trick up their sleeve sometimes of smelling like piss from head to toe

What is what I wrote true? Because I just made it up to sound silly

• Locked thread