Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best Mike Judge project?
Beavis and Butt-Head
King of the Hill
Office Space
Idiocracy
View Results

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I don't know much about Mike Judge.

As a teenager, I watched Beavis and Butthead, and was sophisticated enough to like the commentary, while also just enjoying the juvenile humor. As a young adult, with my first office job, I watched Office Space and thought it was spot on. And later, I saw Idiocracy and thought it was funny while being a little suspicious of the politics.

I know a little about Mike Judge from the usual wikipedia searches. He is pretty quiet about his personal life and beliefs, is a little bit of a "somewhere in the middle" South Park type, but mostly he just speaks through his movies and TV shows.

Mike Judge actually has a pretty thin resumé as far as projects go. He made two tv shows, one with a movie spin-off, and two movies. (He has some miscellaneous projects but that is what he is known for). But they have stayed current in discussion, people still reference "Its what plants crave" and "I believe you have my stapler" and "TP for my bunghole". There is something about the situations and characters that Judge creates that sticks with people. But is he a great comic genius, someone who has a special skill at illustrating the comedy of our lives, or is he just a guy who has managed to produce a few movies that people remember?

And, as a bonus question: what is your favorite Mike Judge project?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I didn't like Extract.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
King of the Hill is the obvious choice for best mike judge thing

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Beavis & Butthead was the rare TV comeback season that was good.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I didnt like the show about the hippies

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
yeah mike judge owns, the latest beavis and butthead season is good (it's a few years old now?) and basically seasons 1-6 of koth

and people are big fans of silicon valley never quite got into it but give it a shot

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost
Beavis and Butthead was best work

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
he had Beavis and Butthead, Office Space and Idiocracy

pretty solid IMO

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Silicon Valley

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I think it's fair to say he's more than just lucky. He perfectly captured the spirit of counter-culture with Beavis and Butthead, young-adult office and technological disenchantment with Office Space and Silicon Valley, and small-town Americana with King of the Hill. He is as much a writer as he is a sociologist and I think that speaks volumes of him.

That said, Office Space alone ought to be enough to cement his place in the cultural lexicon. I enjoyed it before I ever entered the work force and I've only grown to enjoy it more since I entered that industry.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Gaunab posted:

I didn't like Extract.

movie was real bad

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I think it's fair to say he's more than just lucky. He perfectly captured the spirit of counter-culture with Beavis and Butthead, young-adult office and technological disenchantment with Office Space and Silicon Valley, and small-town Americana with King of the Hill. He is as much a writer as he is a sociologist and I think that speaks volumes of him.

That said, Office Space alone ought to be enough to cement his place in the cultural lexicon. I enjoyed it before I ever entered the work force and I've only grown to enjoy it more since I entered that industry.

my supervisor at work used to ask me to work saturdays with a coffee cup in hand and the quote coming out of his mouth

usually I'd bitch to him (it was usually his bosses call) but when he did that I'd just laugh and be like, ok man whatever

so thank you Mike Judge

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
Judge is doing HBO shows now, specifically Silicon Valley, his career is long way from over. I'm hoping for another season of Beavis and Butthead, that comeback season was just as good as the original run, and better and some ways. It had memorable bits like the hobo-werewolf and that cult that worshiped Beavis.

Silicon Valley is worth watching, it has that same feel as office space.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I never got the appeal of Beavis and Butthead aside from their Music Video riffs, but Office Space and King of the Hill are worth the hype, even if I still want to smack the gently caress out of Ron Livingston for comparing drudging middle class office work to the 7th Circle of Hell.

Idiocracy was p. good but every time someone says "the world is becoming like Idiocracy" then they are in-fact the real idiot.

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
extract did not have enough mila kunis screen time that was my biggest problem with it

also it was kind of lame

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

glowing-fish posted:

Mike Judge actually has a pretty thin resumé as far as projects go. He made two tv shows

Beavis and butt head, King of the hill, Silicon Valley?

quote:

two movies
office space, extract, idiocracy?

More often than not his poo poo is good. I say genius.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

mind the walrus posted:

Idiocracy was p. good but every time someone says "the world is becoming like Idiocracy" then they are in-fact the real idiot.

Yeah, Mike Judge might be up there with George Carlin as far as "comedians who make observations that dumb people think explain the world".

Its unclear whether Mike Judge's social commentary has an agenda, and what that agenda is. A guy that smart has to be working at multiple levels, and I don't think a movie like Idiocracy was meant to be a way for people to pat themselves on the back for how much they aren't plebes.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZG11UBoj-o

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

overall? Silicon Valley

in the poll? Office Space i guess

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Millions of Crows posted:

I'm hoping for another season of Beavis and Butthead, that comeback season was just as good as the original run, and better and some ways. It had memorable bits like the hobo-werewolf and that cult that worshiped Beavis.

It had good ratings, but MTV's audience is most 12 year old girls these days and they couldn't figure out how to sell a show aimed at adult males to their core advertisers who make zit cream and trapper keepers.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

are you guys forgetting the show he made about the hippies the goodbodies or something

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Ranma Fan Art posted:

are you guys forgetting the show he made about the hippies the goodbodies or something

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Where does Daria fit in his catalogue, also? He was just a producer for that right? Because that show definitely resonated much more strongly with me than Beavis and Butthead did but it also came later than the grunge scene (which... so did I) so I think that just makes sense.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Ranma Fan Art posted:

I actually did know about his other movies and TV shows, but decided to only put the four in the poll that seemed to have the most cultural currency.

And of course, as predicted, every goon has to be like "Obviously Silicon Valley is bigger and has more cultural impact than Beavis and Butt-Head"

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
daria is still a good show

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Where does Daria fit in his catalogue, also? He was just a producer for that right? Because that show definitely resonated much more strongly with me than Beavis and Butthead did but it also came later than the grunge scene (which... so did I) so I think that just makes sense.

daria was a good show he had nothing to with
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf01tSJ41VQ

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

daria was a good show he had nothing to with
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf01tSJ41VQ

Ummmmmmmm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-YUwNlb-tY

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mind the walrus posted:

welcome to costco i love you haha man aint the world just gettin dumber right?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Like Daria said
Get a life

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
torn between downloading the recorded episodes of daria that feature the original music but are terrible quality

or downloading the dvd versions that have the original music ripped out

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
dvd versions are still better

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I want to hate silicon valley, but it's good. I end up hating it because even though it's supposed to be a comedy it feels a little too real, like a bunch of these characters are me, and people I knew, at various stages of my life, and i consciously tried to get away from it, it's hard to laugh when i'm confronting my own demons. This must be what it feels like to be a slightly retarded middle aged dad in a texas suburb watching king of the hill i guess.

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
you can relate to it thats why its good

also owwwned

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
King of the hill owns and I can relate to it even as an Australian.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Idiocracy wasn't good at release and still isn't good in retrospect. Almost everything else he's made is great though. Silicon Valley is just as good as his old stuff and it's kind of amazing he still hasn't lost his touch.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Pirate Jet posted:

Idiocracy wasn't good at release and still isn't good in retrospect. Almost everything else he's made is great though. Silicon Valley is just as good as his old stuff and it's kind of amazing he still hasn't lost his touch.

There's that fag talk we talked about.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

underage at the vape shop posted:

King of the hill owns and I can relate to it even as an Australian.

bogan

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
mike judge is a poor-hating rear end in a top hat who's into alex jones and probably should be blamed for inventing the whole cuuckservative concept when he created dale gribble

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

king of the hill is very good but is somehow secondary output compared to beavis and butthead, silicon valley and office space

everything else he's done is shiitttt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Gazpacho posted:

mike judge is a poor-hating rear end in a top hat who's into alex jones and probably should be blamed for inventing the whole cuuckservative concept when he created dale gribble

Reference?

I don't think he is dumb enough to be taken in by people like Alex Jones, he made a really good parody of Rush Limbaugh over 20 years ago.

• Locked thread