Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best David Lynch project
Eraserhead
The Elephant Man
Dune
Blue Velvet
Twin Peaks (TV show)
Wild At Heart
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
Lost Highway
The Straight Story
Mulholland Drive
Inland Empire
Other (early short films, music projects, paintings etc)
View Results

• Locked thread
Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I think Mulholland Drive is probably his masterpiece, Wild at Heart is probably his weakest (worse than Dune), and Inland Empire is his most underrated. Looking forward to season 3 of Twin Peaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
No Dumbland? voted 1

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
the one that idealizes the 1950s-early 60s

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

mulholland dr is my favorite movie of all time, op. also i think the twin peaks movie is a woefully underrated masterpiece

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
huh, your feelings on wild at heart seem to be very common but i've never really understood it, i think it's his most underrated film just because everyone seems to hate it so much. it's definitely distinctly different from the rest of his stuff, and i know some people can't stand cage's performance, but it's such a fun wild movie even if it doesn't have the depth or character of the rest of his oeuvre.

fire walk with me is also pretty underrated, although i understand why people were unsatisfied with it as a follow-up to twin peaks. the first time i saw it i was very disappointed because i expected a conclusion to the series, i guess. instead i got a weird companion piece to the series and it took another more objective viewing for me to appreciate that. it's a beautiful and haunting story.

i'd say dune is probably his weakest, but i still love it very much. and maybe 'the straight story' too, although that's more because it's such an unlynch film and not because there's anything actually wrong with it.

i am excited for the new twin peaks series :^) lynch has been my favorite artist since i was tiny and twin peaks has been my favorite show since i was also tiny

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

LegoPirateNinja posted:

the one that idealizes the 1950s-early 60s

none of his work idealizes the 1950's-early 60's, it quite pointedly shows that this idealized fantasy is an exterior that only masks an unseemly grotesquery lying just below the surface, the violent perverse shameful underbelly of americana :smugmrgw:

Manticorny
Sep 7, 2016

It's a sad and beautiful world.
straight story

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
hmmm i'm gonna roll with 1) Eraserhead, 2) Mulholland Drive and 3) Twin Peaks as my top 3.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
1 1/2 seasons of Twin Peaks were real good. The movie sucked but you get to see Laura's titties.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

fire walk with me would probably be better overall without the chester desmond/dale cooper opening, but i still like that part and then everything after that is masterful filmmaking and includes my favorite movie line of all time: "i'm gone, long gone, like a turkey in the corn. gobble gobble gobble"

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
Twin Peaks obviously. How is it even a question? David Lynch, primetime, on a major network.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Dissenting opinion. Lynch is my favorite filmmaker by a wide margin, so I'm a big fan of most of his stuff. Still, my favorite is probably Lost Highway. I really like the abstract dream logic of Lynch's later stuff, but I really love the way it's grounded in a more sensible and traditional (if you can call it that) noir story and trappings in that one. I think it's for sure his most underrated flick.

I go back and forth on Wild at Heart. Sometimes I enjoy it a lot. Other times, I find it to be an unfun grotesque hodge-podge. There are parts that I love though. Harry Dean Stanton is just wonderful in everything. Dune is his only film that just doesn't work for me at all, and even that some neat things to look at (when the special effects aren't getting in the way).

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
mullholland dr is great until i watch it with somebody and they force me to explain the plot to them after its over

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

how can you not love wild at heart. its got cage eating the scenery like mad and bobby peru, the greatest film villain of all time

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Twin Peaks. Dune is my favourite bokk of all time.....but the movie turned out poorly.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Mulholland Drive wins, but his dedication to spreading the gospel of meditation comes in close second.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Twin Peaks: FWWM

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
It's Crazy Clown Time, OP. (warning: fairly :nws:

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Toss me in with the "Mulholland Drive is my all time favorite movie" crowd

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lesbian scene, mulholand drive

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blue Velvet, though Eraserhead, The Elephant Man, and The Straight Story are all great films as well.

I guess I need to get around to seeing Muholland Dr. and Inland Empire.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Moon Atari posted:

Mulholland Drive wins, but his dedication to spreading the gospel of meditation comes in close second.

I've heard Transcendental Meditation is a scam and a cult. They charge you a bunch of money to tell you a secret mantra or something like that. It sounds crazy. Especially since there are a million mediation techniques that you can learn for free everywhere.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Dennis System posted:

I've heard Transcendental Meditation is a scam and a cult. They charge you a bunch of money to tell you a secret mantra or something like that. It sounds crazy. Especially since there are a million mediation techniques that you can learn for free everywhere.

Ha look at this guy who doesn't know his mantra.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

The Dennis System posted:

How else will you catch the big fish

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
I don't know why everyone dogs on Dune. I've read all of the Dune books and that movie captures the feel and aesthetic of the books perfectly.

VR Native American
May 1, 2009
Gun Saliva
The PlayStation ads he did
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YFnNRibEYxc
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T4tOvkvCvwQ
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hujmlsg8k_Q
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9LpYZ4ItS_c
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hzn4WDe13mU
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t-i__nfVdGI

And his Georgia Coffee ads
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA0299024003EC779

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

OP can you put this in the poll? Changing my answer to this.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
LOL at people who don't get Mulholland Drive and go into Da Vinci Code mode like "Gene the Pool Man must be the key to this film." "Bitch, I covered that in my essay, The Cookie Hypothesis, get a clue."

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

The Time Dissolver posted:

LOL at people who don't get Mulholland Drive and go into Da Vinci Code mode like "Gene the Pool Man must be the key to this film." "Bitch, I covered that in my essay, The Cookie Hypothesis, get a clue."

If you get Mulholland Drive, I would love an overview.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Rape Stink posted:

No Dumbland? voted 1

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Voted Twin Peaks (series). I like Mulholland Drive and Blue Velvet and I know Eraserhead is an actual important movie, but I still like Twin Peaks better. Never had the chance to see Fire Walk With Me because no one is streaming it online :(

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5SHjEdJ87g

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/remember_when_david_lynch_used

this is the best david lynch project

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9EmiQc6Fr0

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Woe betide ye who underrate The Angriest Dog In The World

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
poo poo, I just remembered how good Bluebob is.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

the fan edit of Fire Walk With Me is much better as a popcorn movie but also makes it like two and a half hours

divx
Aug 21, 2005

Manticorny posted:

straight story

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Wizard Master posted:

I think Mulholland Drive is probably his masterpiece, Wild at Heart is probably his weakest (worse than Dune), and Inland Empire is his most underrated. Looking forward to season 3 of Twin Peaks.

What's the point of asking a question and then giving the correct answer in the first post? Man you gotta let people guess before you do that.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its dune. please change the poll results to reflect this fact and then close and sticky the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Lots of people always say Mulholland Drive but I've always felt that Blue Velvet represented the most fully realized and well constructed distillation of the Lynchian vision. Though if you're going to use a word like "project", much could be said of the first season of Twin Peaks.

• Locked thread