Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Since the last thread was tossed in the great trashcan in the sky and the OP died upon that hill, I shall pick up (get it lol) his banner and carry it in remembrance.

So I argue that a lot of pickups are owned by terrible people (myself being one of them) but a bunch of them are cool, good and useful. Contrary to popular belief, pickups are used globally and not just in America. Also, I would wager that you'll find a higher percentage of terrible bro trucks per capita in Canada than the US, but I'll leave it up to the Canadians to confirm or deny that.

Anyway, PYF pickups and pickup truck stories. Or post about how much you hate them, I don't give a gently caress what you do, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
pickup trucks are good for carrying tools and materials. ladders, long lengths of pipe, etc. someone who isnt doing that or like hauling horses is almost definitely a total jag

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

with only a pickup truck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q1YQvLqHsM

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I dont consider pickup trucks to be badass or sucky. Theyre just vehicles. I live in texas so I see a lot of them. Most of them are just normal pickups for driving and hauling poo poo. Sometimes I see one of those toyota minipickups and I giggle at the gokart a little. Sometimes I see giant, jacked up f350s with no trailer hitch and I giggle over the owner's presumed lack of a normal sized penis. HTH.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Because of their high sales volumes and strongly competitive market, pickup trucks offer an amazing value in terms of content for a surprisingly low price

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
well hauling in general... like jetskis, or a boat, or an atv, or another truck, or just a big rear end trailer... pickup trucks are pretty useful, upon reflection.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

there was a whole episode of king of the hill about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5oXJ9KxtCo

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

I saw this truck on the interstate awhile back. I thought it was pretty cool except for the trash can for an exhaust tip

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*

EX250 Type R posted:

I saw this truck on the interstate awhile back. I thought it was pretty cool except for the trash can for an exhaust tip

thats just an old f150, i think. it would be cheap to buy one and make it what you want.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
The level of engineering and refinement yoi get from a 20k truck is very impressive, due again to high economies of scale

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Texan here, and in some areas i see way more Big Trucks than cars, seems rather practical, people do a lot of work around here with stuff that involves being outdoors or moving things so yeah

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

thats just an old f150, i think. it would be cheap to buy one and make it what you want.

I am no expert but I think that engine is not oem and is some turbo diesel thing (also I thought it was an f100 or something but again, not an expert)

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I had a limited edition Ram that I got for like $24k new in '05 and it was cool as poo poo. It was 2wd in NY and they couldn't sell the thing so I got it for like $10k off. It was more a muscle car than a truck, and I never hauled a thing with it. To be fair, I also didn't drive the piss out of it, and it only had 70,000 on the clock after 11 years.

I just sold it for like 30% of what I paid for it, so I did really good with it, and now I have an '03 Ranger with 56,000 miles I got for $2700. 4 cylinder instead of a loving huge Hemi, it barely uses gas and I just chuck whatever into the bed. I'll probably drop it in the weeds and put a turbo on it and make it useless because I'm a loving idiot.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Having spent a lot of time in the prairie provinces of Canada, I'll agree that there's a shitload of brotrucks up there, and the degree of cheesy customization is amazing.

My big bitch is the demise of the good basic small truck, as personified by the Hilux/older Tacoma, and the Ranger. Those little bastards drug around an incredible amount of poo poo, ran forever, got decent mileage and were cheap. Now we get these 'small trucks' like the new Colorado and Tacoma that are like 4/5ths as large as the full size trucks, don't come in a regular cab/long bed combo, and are $40,000.

Jesus tap dancing Christ, if somebody made an actual small, bare-bones truck with a four banger/stickshift combo and maybe a small diesel as an option for $25,000-ish that was dead-reliable, they'd sell a zillion of them. Hell, people still bought the Ranger even though it hadn't been updated or advertised for eleven years.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

if I get a truck like this and wear tap out t shirts will this make me cool?

asking for a friend

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

KennyLoggins posted:

asking for a friend

no this will make you a moron, don't do this

naem
May 29, 2011

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

The level of engineering and refinement yoi get from a 20k truck is very impressive, due again to high economies of scale

I don't like the direction jeeps have gone in lately, but I worry a truck would scare off potential mates it's quite the conundriom

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

naem posted:

I don't like the direction jeeps have gone in lately, but I worry a truck would scare off potential mates it's quite the conundriom

I have had more than my share of "cool" and "custom" automobiles and let me tell you, friend, the opposite sex has not cared one loving bit about any of them.

In fact, my Ram was a repellent on the level of mustard gas.

Buy and drive what you like and you will be happy that way.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

KennyLoggins posted:

asking for a friend

it'll make you cool enough to score with a military wife while her husband is deployed

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

lo and we are in the 4th great age of truck

gas was cheap again and would be forever, again and totally not like last time

lines out the door for suburbans and extended cap pickups justify a market demand for more, just as the civic demanded and dominated the US market 40 years ago for its build quality and efficiency. sedans are dead, small cars are dead, crossovers and SUVs will rule every street with 0% APR and priced to move financing.

california was wrong, europe was wrong, japan was wrong. we are truck, long live truck

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
me, in a truck: brrrrrm

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

i pour some slurpie out of my 64oz at the light when i see the 90s 4runner with lever opperated differential and manual transmission

it brings to me a fear and resent that i could not accimoidate in my $70,000 larime king laredo ranchero supreme flageagle xcab edition f350.

i can not go where it goes or do what it does, but i tip my realtree bud light cap in sorrow because i know that jap truck is gay

gayer than i could ever dream of being

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

don't use up all the petrol guys

we need that for everyone

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Caesar Saladin posted:

don't use up all the petrol guys

we need that for everyone

ideally the US will either force all nations to drive tiny cars forever and/or we'll bomb their infrastructure to bullshit so I wouldn't worry

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

there is a lifted cherokee up at 45deg on top of a curb and a mailbox outside of the mall

a represesed part of me wishes i had the clearance and travel to pull that off

but this chrokee is new, its got leather seats. there is a touch screen i can listen to stevie nicks from my fone on when the wife isnt riding along and know one can hear my my quiet screams

that cherokee is dirty, mine is trail rated

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

HATECUBE posted:

i pour some slurpie out of my 64oz at the light when i see the 90s 4runner with lever opperated differential and manual transmission

it brings to me a fear and resent that i could not accimoidate in my $70,000 larime king laredo ranchero supreme flageagle xcab edition f350.

i can not go where it goes or do what it does, but i tip my realtree bud light cap in sorrow because i know that jap truck is gay

gayer than i could ever dream of being

Poetry.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Regular (short) cabs are ideal because they cool down/heat up quicker than anything else due to the smaller interior volume

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Old pickups are an experience. They're not plagued with things like "safety ratings" "structural integrity" "comfort" or "soundproofing". I love hearing every rattle and clank of my lovely s10, I love that if I'm lazy and don't pump the brakes in the winter she skids all over and how the speedo never settles on any single digit but just vibrates around a speed. My Ranger was even better, with some weirdo postwar era suspension that couldn't keep a line for poo poo. It's like driving a tractor, it's great.

gently caress those new trucks forever, though.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

all 6 kids in the back of my brand new ram special edition and i see this hot piece of rear end in a diesel, yellow shocks, flared fenders and a pushbar that would make a passenger train piss itself

calvin is pissing on a honda logo above a trump sticker, we both know about buying american

soot runs down the dual smoke stacks like cum down my shaft as i see it roll coal on a prius, thats me THATS WHO I AM IM JUST LIKE THAT

i cant hear myself over the high pitched whine of the v6, born free

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Regular (short) cabs are ideal because they cool down/heat up quicker than anything else due to the smaller interior volume

I will never own a pickup that isn't a regular cab

extended and crew cab trucks just look wrong

Xtra Innings Lovin
Nov 11, 2016

I had a 13 TRD Tacoma Double Cab and wrecked it and totaled it. Now I'm debating whether to get a Jeep Unlimited or another truck.

I do have a 13 Goon approved Mazda 3 with a MANUAL transmission as well. It's pretty sweet. :smuggo:

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I live in Texas & I approve this thread

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
LOL @ buying any new jeep

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

one time

my friend was blasting down a dirt road in his dualie and hit a pothole so hard he snapped a leaf spirng and lost the entire bed of his truck. he called up his boy and they dragged that sonpfabitch back up the road, bolted everything back into place with some harbor freight bullshit he got on a dare

thats the real life, out in the country drivin real trucks, man trucks

one time

i ran over this super nasty peice of metal and got a flat tire downtown, i called up my boys

no one is touching this silverado double cab but me and my crew. AAA showed up in like 15 min

man trucks

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

HATECUBE posted:

one time

my friend was blasting down a dirt road in his dualie and hit a pothole so hard he snapped a leaf spirng and lost the entire bed of his truck. he called up his boy and they dragged that sonpfabitch back up the road, bolted everything back into place with some harbor freight bullshit he got on a dare

thats the real life, out in the country drivin real trucks, man trucks

one time

i ran over this super nasty peice of metal and got a flat tire downtown, i called up my boys

no one is touching this silverado double cab but my and my crew. AAA showed up in like 15 min

man trucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKQdlXvbWSU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Breakfast Feud posted:

LOL @ buying any new jeep

why did they have to stop making cherokees? Its weird as gently caress. You still see a billion of them on the road ten years later and that 4.0 liter inline is still hot poo poo.

But no they scrap em and replace them with tiny, ugly, poo poo models like the liberty. WTF.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Nathilus posted:

why did they have to stop making cherokees? Its weird as gently caress. You still see a billion of them on the road ten years later and that 4.0 liter inline is still hot poo poo.

But no they scrap em and replace them with tiny, ugly, poo poo models like the liberty. WTF.

they still make Cherokees and Grand Cherokees

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Lmao if you don't raise your truck up like 15 feet in the air

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

vyst posted:

Lmao if you don't raise your truck up like 15 feet in the air

I got you fam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat