Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best character
Brackfornu
Ieyasu
Lady toda wassername
John rhys-davies
View Results

• Locked thread
Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Owns. Do you luuuuuurve japan, but don't want to have to put up with obnoxious japanese people being involved with your great nipponese media? READ AN 800 PAGE BOOK ABOUT JAPAN BY A WHITE GUY problem solved. :smug: If youre intellectually only a minor deal there is also a miniseries with richard chamberlain and toshiro mifune, so you know what to do. :fap:

One warning for prospective readers tho: do NOT under any circumstances try to understand the logic behind what any of the japanese characters are doing. The author had to plumb the depths of the abyss of the samurai soul to get em this realistic so you don't have to. So just enjoy dont try to get it, cuz he who fights monsters and all that. Particularly torunaga is intended to be almost totally opaque. Thats how you have to write an evil genius. Do not try to "get" him or torunaga it up IRL you will go to jail for a really long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Very shogun imo

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Source your quotes OP

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Tolkien minority posted:

Source your quotes OP

ORIGINAL CONTENT DONUT STEAL

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
This is what Japan is really like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfAmPGhcNLQ

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
*Fires an arrow through a curtain at the "5" button, doesn't look where it lands but totally sure it hit 5*

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
It's a really good book, same with Tai-Pan.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I read most of his books in middle school and early high school. They are pretty good mindless adventure books.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Or at least was like. But yeh word. Also :fap:

scuba school sucks posted:

*Fires an arrow through a curtain at the "5" button, doesn't look where it lands but totally sure it hit 5*

Word.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Japan is really more Chrysanthemum and the Sword

But the part in Shogun where they boil that dude to make his skin into a drum was pretty rad

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
i like james clavell

no he's not perfect, but his books are fun adventures through south east asia, an area not often explored in *white* fiction

plus his real strength seems to be hong kong, so of course shogun was bound to be less accurate

the only problem i have with him is that all his books end the same way and i hate they way they end

tons of intricate plot points all seem to be coming to a head and instead of resolving them he just has some giant force of nature kill everyone. typhoon, earthquake, etc. its pretty frustrating and unrewarding

edit: i like the samurai who always carries his sword in his left hand to demonstrate that he's literally always ready to use it

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

hell yeah

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I don't know how ironic you're being OP, but I just finished reading Shogun a couple of weeks ago and it's baller as hell. I don't know how accurate it is, and maybe the writing isn't very artistic, but it's a hell of a toboggan ride.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I read this book when I was 16 and only remember the part where he goes down to the shanties to visit with his former comrades and is appalled at how filthy and lovely they are.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Zombiepop posted:

It's a really good book, same with Tai-Pan.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i hate white men and japan what about me

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

i hate white men and japan what about me

I'd say you're probably Korean.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

RaySmuckles posted:

edit: i like the samurai who always carries his sword in his left hand to demonstrate that he's literally always ready to use it

HOLY poo poo THIS IS INCREDIBLE WRITING

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

-I liked the scene where a whole bunch of samurai lined up and had one on one fights one after another because the leaders were arguing or something

like the guys just had their guys kill each other all orderly until someone said "ah well ok, maybe youre right"

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
My favorite Shogun character is that whiney wife the hero gets landed with who keeps threatening to commit suicide every time he rolls his eyes at her.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite shogun character is the one who wears the orange jumpsuit and is actually a fox demon who believes the power of friendship can overcome anything

12gaugelobotomy
Apr 25, 2012
I read shotgun and was disappointed.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I like the ninja with the big titties who kicks high

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

12gaugelobotomy posted:

I read shotgun and was disappointed.

Same, only I also misread James Clavell as "Henry Cavill" so I came in expecting to see a hunky guy shooting guns :sigh:

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000
Shogun was good and I like most of his stuff.

King Rat is a very good read imo

Baxter fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 12, 2017

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Toranaga does not want to be Shogun
Toranaga: "I wanted to be Shogun all along"

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Whirlwind was p good too. Helicopter business simulator BUT WHAT ABOUT THE SPAAAAARES

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Also there was a scene where Blackthorne was in a brothel or something and they were trying to find out what he was into, being unfamiliar with monogomy. At one point when he wasn't picking up on it the characters discuss just casually bringing in a duck "to see how he reacts to it because some people like that kind of thing" and all in all it was pretty surreal.

It was pretty good though. If you liked The Last Samurai you'll like it even if James Clavell has some weird things to tell you about Japan that may or may not be accurate.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
Has anyone seen the movie? It's the full book in movie form, 5 hours long. The main character is basically Will Riker.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
He was offered a woman but wouldn't do anything because of western culture so they assumed he was gay and offered him a boy which he got super offended by.

Nonplussed, they thought he might be like a Korean and pondered offering him a duck.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I read this book when I was in high school and dont remember anything from it but now I'm a samurai irl

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
I never could figure out if James Clavell was actually really racist or did a good job portraying 16th century westerners.

RaySmuckles posted:

same, except with my penis

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

The Phlegmatist posted:

I never could figure out if James Clavell was actually really racist or did a good job portraying 16th century westerners.

same, except with my penis

He was in a Japanese POW camp and became a weeaboo orientalist there. His King Rat is set in a camp and is also an excellent novel.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
i clicked on the thread and tried to read the OP and it just kind of turned into a static haze and all i could think was "wait this isnt about shotguns" then i reread the title and oh anime again

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I read Shogun when I was like, 12 or 13 and I enjoyed it very much

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Every time I was forced to go antiquing as a child I'd run into a moldy copy of that book. I'd pick it up sometimes and turn to a page but there was never anything much to look at. He must have been very successful in the 80s if it got optioned though so good on him.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I read Shogun when I was like, 12 or 13 and I enjoyed it very much

I'm pretty sure that is the best age to read James Clavell. I read Shogun then and loved it. Read it again in my late 20s and was like "wait, is this racist?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*dons cock ring*

• Locked thread