Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
:siren: Recruit/Discussion thread :siren:

Cast of Characters

Alessa, the Half-elf Druid (Anomalous Amalgam) -- sworn to uphold balance, imbued with the power of primal beasts
Slayn, the Assassin (slap me and kiss me) -- murderer for hire, member of a shadowyscuzzy guild
Jozan, the Human Cleric (Look Around You) -- divine spellcaster, healer and undead-hunter
Vladimir, the Human Paladin (Ominous Jazz) -- aged veteran, a devout but pragmatic warrior
Rae, the Elven Swordmage (Generic Octopus) -- ex-knight of a prestigious order, gifted in magic

Introduction

In the wake of a coup against the royal family of Yllise, many people have found themselves displaced; simply put, you are one of these people.
You each have your own reasons for it, but whatever the case may be, you are aboard (or alongside) one of the many landships shuttling people and materials away from the chaos.

This is effectively an Exploration encounter, for now. Describe what your character would be doing:
    Would you be on the deck of the ship?
    Would you be on the ground, either in front of the ship or at its side?
    Are you /with/ the convoy, or would you be following or shadowing it?

Based on your choice, I may ask you to make a skill check.
You can also feel free to talk among each other (assuming you're in close enough proximity) in-character.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
[Hotfixes currently active]
(2017/04/16)
  • Life Domain: Divine Smite restores HP equal to the rolled damage
  • Engage (Move Action): Number of enemies you can engage with this action now capped at the max value of your class die; Form of the Dire Bear gets double this amount (2d4 = 8)
  • Swordmage: now gets Advantage on defense rolls when they counter-attack an enemy with their Sigil (in place of the dumb d12-stacking rule)

(2017/05/07)
  • Skill checks: limited to 1/turn (regardless of action used) including on other peoples' turns

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 7, 2017

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Rae will be on deck, keeping an eye out for anyone trying to take advantage of the chaos by engaging in acts of thuggery.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Vlad will be walking alongside the landship, making sure nobody falls behind on the convoy.
Edit: bold the vlad

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 12, 2017

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Alessa walked alongside one of the ships and spotted Vlad from a distance. She had heard the name in passing, and he seemed capable.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Slayn haphazardly rests atop the landship's deck, sprawled on a pile of detritus abandoned by the panicked masses.

slap me and kiss me fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 13, 2017

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Jozan rides on the landship next to Vlad. "Hail, friend," he says to Vlad. "You look as though you know your way around a blade, eh? I hope we don't have much use for your experience though, personally."

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Look Around You posted:

Jozan rides on the landship next to Vlad. "Hail, friend," he says to Vlad. "You look as though you know your way around a blade, eh? I hope we don't have much use for your experience though, personally."

Vlad smiles, and calls back "Let's pray we don't have much use for either of us, right friend?" He eyes the surroundings, trying to discern how much further they have to go.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Some rolls... (Perception)

Alessa: 4not 23 :siren: Crit!
Slayn: 19
Jozan: 21 :siren: Crit!
Vlad: 9
Rae: 1not 20 :siren: Crit!

Alright, so anyone on the landship currently has High Ground (Rae, Slayn, and Jozan)

Slayn is aware of an encroaching, skittering sound off to the left side of the road
Alessa, Jozan, and Rae hear the same sound, and can see movement, dark shapes filling in the spaces between the trees -- spiders!

Those of you who crit can take a surprise round OR bank Advantage on a skill check in the coming encounter (as per the rules text; ask me if you need any help)

edit: :supaburn: Everyone's in initiative:

• :siren: Alessa
  • :siren: Jozan
  • :siren: Rae
  • :siren: Slayn
  • [Minions] x15
  • [Monsters] x3
  • Vlad

:siren: = take your turn (we'll do popcorn initiative, so go in any order you want)

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 13, 2017

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Slayn, angry at his rest being disturbed, hikes himself up and scowls out at the source of his consternation. Reaching into the folds of his ragged tunic, he fumbles free a rusty blade, and with a lurching throw, heaves it towards the monsters emerging from the woods.

Orokos posted:

http://orokos.com/roll/505760
2d20k1: 10 [2d20k1=[10], 1]
1d6+1d20: 10 [1d6=1] [1d20=9]

Targeting Monster x1, advantage from having the high ground results in a 20 on the attack roll, inflicting 36 damage (10 + critical damage of 26). 41 damage (9 points from the d20, 6 points from the d6 due to expertise, and additional critical damage of 26).

slap me and kiss me fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 13, 2017

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
:eyepop:

Monster[1] is thoroughly Bloodied; one modest hit should finish it off.

Because Slayn was using a Basic Attack, he had Expertise on both the attack and damage rolls, thus the 1 on the attack is treated as a 20 (critical success) and the 1 on the d6 of damage is treated as a 6; the critical does the maximum damage of the successful attack (26) in addition to the roll, for a total of [6 + 9 + 26 = 41]

(the extra d20 of damage comes from a class Ability, when targeting an unengaged enemy)

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Slayn grunts with satisfaction, then shuffles behind a stack of crates, attempting to disappear from sight.

Orokos posted:

http://orokos.com/roll/505779
1d20: 8 [1d20=8]

http://orokos.com/roll/505785
1d6: 6 [1d6=6]

Slayn expends his minor action to make a stealth check. He is less than successful. Factoring in the 1d6 skill bonus for being trained in Stealth, he rolls a 14 and is reasonably successful.

slap me and kiss me fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 13, 2017

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Alessa watches as Slayn sends a blade flying into the thicket and smirks when she hears it make its mark.

As a minor action, I'll summon a Great Eagle and some minion creatures.

Summon Familiar (Great Eagle): 2#1d4 3 3

Alessa draws a sigil in the soil with her foot, and a familiar manifests itself, flapping into existence and taking off into the sky.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Rae peered out into the wood. Upon seeing the skittering shapes making their way toward the convoy, she drew her blade and lept into action. A dagger raced past her mid-jump and struck one of the larger spiders; that would be her target.

Move action to Engage all of the things.

Standard action to melee basic attack Monster #1, using Beguiling Blade: Crit!, 28 (12+6+10) damage vs Monster #1, 7 damage to other enemies in the Maelstrom.

Minor action to place a Sigil on Monster #2.

e: tracking stuff
pre:
Rae

HP: 32
Reserves: 11/12
Sigil: Monster #2
Engaged with: all the things

Generic Octopus fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 13, 2017

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Alessa watches as Slayn sends a blade flying into the thicket and smirks when she hears it make its mark.

As a minor action, I'll summon a Great Eagle and some minion creatures.

Summon Familiar (Great Eagle): 2#1d4 3 3

Alessa draws a sigil in the soil with her foot, and a familiar manifests itself, flapping into existence and taking off into the sky.

Your summons can act (Move & Standard) on the same turn you summon them; 1HD minions deal 1pt of damage without needing any rolls, so you can auto-kill some of their minions with yours, if you'd like.

Since you can pick the Form as part of your initiative, summoning would just use the Minor action; :siren: Alessa still has a Move action and Standard Action.

Generic Octopus posted:

Rae peered out into the wood. Upon seeing the skittering shapes making their way toward the convoy, she drew her blade and lept into action. A dagger raced past her mid-jump and struck one of the larger spiders; that would be her target.

Move action to Engage all of the things.

Standard action to melee basic attack Monster #1, using Beguiling Blade: Crit!, 28 (12+6+10) damage vs Monster #1, 7 damage to other enemies in the Maelstrom.

Minor action to place a Sigil on Monster #2.

Since a crit maximizes any rolled damage dice dealt to the target of the attack roll, the actual damage would be 12+12+6+10, but even without that, you killed the hell out of it :v:

....and all the minions are dead (yes I am going to nerf how many things you can become Engaged with, after this combat)
edit: also the 2 remaining monsters have each taken 7 damage.

-----

Rae is attacked by both remaining Monster spiders; :siren: make me 2 Defense rolls :rolldice:

:rolldice: Vlad, do some :commissar:

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 14, 2017

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Forgot the Spellbinding Sorcery: 3

After purging the smaller spiders with a sweep of her blade and the heat of an emerald flame, Rae readied a stance to counter the vengeance of the remaining monstrosities.

Counter-Attacking both of those; pretty sure Spider 3 gets me unless I missed having expertise on defense rolls somewhere (1 one the d20, stack of 8 on the Counter for Beguiling Blade), but not sure if the Counter penalty applies to Beguiling Blade's Swordmage effect (11 stacked, 5 and 6 on the dice).

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
No expertise for you!

So yeah, basically the Swordmage gets to roll the normal d20 for defense, plus 2d12 (if they counter-attack) and use either as their defense value; if both results are less than 10, you're kinda hooped, and (RAW) you'd subtract the lower of the d12 rolls for the counter-attack

Looking at it, really it should just read "when you counter-attack, you can use the higher of the trade-off rolls in place of the d20 roll for your defense" since that's really the end result anyway.

The monstrous spiders both sink their fangs into Rae, and they begin to wrap their webbing around the staunch defender.
:siren:Rae is grappled! also take 12 pts of damage

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Alessa signals to her familiar with a swirl of her index finger, and the eagle circles above the woods identifying the aggressors, and then with a wave of her hand, the other small birds that manifested from the light vaulted from the ground seeking to collide like missiles against the enemy.

I'll send the lesser bird minions like a magic missile into the enemies, and use the great eagle to get an idea of the size of what we were up against.

The birds having revealed or sought out enemies, Alessa unhinged her crossbow and loosed a bolt against one of the shadows.
Loose a bolt!: 1d20 4 1d4 4

She loaded another bolt and ducked behind the landship that slowly lurched to a halt. Alessa readied her defenses.
Take cover

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

I'll send the lesser bird minions like a magic missile into the enemies, and use the great eagle to get an idea of the size of what we were up against.

There are only the 2 spiders in Rae's maelstrom remaining in the encounter; your eagle does not find any hidden ones. The spiders are "medium sized" to use the D&D term.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Vlad gets lost in the confusion for a moment, before sprinting towards the spider the has Rae pinned and struggles to pull his sword from its tattered scabbard.
Unleashing Blackguard Zeal on a Spider: 3#1d20 19 13 14 Vlad kicks the spider and his tattoo burns blue as he brutally slashes at it! the first hit!: 2d10k1 10 the second hit!: 1d10 10 The final hit!: 2d10l1 1
21 damage to the spider!

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ominous Jazz posted:

Vlad gets lost in the confusion for a moment, before sprinting towards the spider the has Rae pinned and struggles to pull his sword from its tattered scabbard.
Unleashing Blackguard Zeal on a Spider: 3#1d20 19 13 14 Vlad kicks the spider and his tattoo burns blue as he brutally slashes at it! the first hit!: 2d10k1 10 the second hit!: 1d10 10 The final hit!: 2d10l1 1
21 damage to the spider!

Alright, so Blackguard gets Expertise on this "ability" when all 3 attacks are made against the same enemy; it may not be entirely clear, but this means on the attack and damage.
Thus, the 3rd attack does 3 damage, since you rolled [1,3] and get to treat the 1 as a 10, but still use the lower result.

Also, if all 3 attacks are successful, the Blackguard deals an extra Class Die of damage: 7 damage
which is enough to kill it.
:siren: Feel free to add death narration/description.

Vlad and Rae and now covered in spider goo (you're both in the same Maelstrom now); one spider remains, still grappling Rae.

edit: Spider is at 41/48 HP,

:rolldice: Jozan :siren:

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 15, 2017

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Vlad just hacks it to pieces, frighteningly so for someone who was so jolly a moment ago and groans, a little tired from the effort. "I think this hunk of metal is getting heavier..." He holds his back and catches his breath. "Are you alright?"

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 15, 2017

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Jozan raises his mace and mutters a soft prayer before abruptly gesturing towards the remaining spider with it, sending a blinding flash of light in its direction, though he wildly misses, striking the ground and kicking up a cloud of dust.

Divine Smite: 1d20 1 1d8 3

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Discord posted:

since you've only got 1 enemy left, you're probably using your "Divine Smite basic attack" which will have advantage on the damage roll, and (it being a basic attack) will have Expertise, and (you being an Invoker) will be a ranged attack.
and because you're on High Ground (iirc) you'll have Advantage on the attack roll, as well

Look Around You posted:

Divine Smite: 1d20 1not20 1d8 3, 1d8 4(due to advantage)

:siren: We have another critical hit! :supaburn:

Crit damage of 8 + rolled damage of 4 = 12

Since I got ahead of myself and hosed up initiative, I'm putting Jozan after the monster, to make my life easier.

Initiative:

• :rolldice: Alessa
  • :rolldice: Rae
  • :rolldice: Slayn
  • [Spider] x1 (29/48 HP)
  • Jozan
  • Vlad

Positioning:
High Ground (landship): Slayn (Hidden), Jozan
High Ground (presumably flying): Alessa's Great Eagle
Maelstrom (ground level): Rae (grappled), Vlad, Alessa's Minions[x3], [Spider](grappling)
ground level: Alessa (Cover)

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Apr 16, 2017

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Healing energy surges through Rae, mending her wounds.

Divine Smite Heal: 2d8k1 8

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Slayn bursts from cover with a shout, hurling several rusty knives toward the spider engaged in furious combat below the landship.

Orokos posted:

http://orokos.com/roll/506900
Attacking spider; damage
Results 2d20k1+1d6: 15 [2d20k1=[9], 5] [1d6=6]
1d6+2d6: 16 [1d6=6] [2d6=6, 4]

Attacking from high ground while hidden, using the Assassin's Sneak Attack ability. Slayn's 15 hits, and he inflicts 16 damage.

attack roll
  • Sneak attack adds class die to the attack roll
  • High ground grants advantage on the attack roll
  • Expertise transforms 1 into maximum rolls

damage roll
  • Sneak attack adds an additional two class dice of damage due to two allies engaged with the spider
  • Expertise transforms 1s into maximum rolls

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Wildshape (Dire Bear): 2#1d4 3 1

Alessa leaped from cover and took on an ursine form mid-air, more than doubling in size.

I believe my HP Maximum is 8 now?

She started with a slow gallop and quickly thrust herself upon the large spider with claws and teeth.

Attack (Melee): 1d20+1d4 16
Swipe!: 2#1d4 3 2

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Wildshape (Dire Bear): 2#1d4 3 1

Alessa leaped from cover and took on an ursine form mid-air, more than doubling in size.

I believe my HP Maximum is 8 now?

She started with a slow gallop and quickly thrust herself upon the large spider with claws and teeth.

Attack (Melee): 1d20+1d4 16
Swipe!: 2#1d4 3 2

You're getting chocolate in my peanut buttermish-mashing subclasses and forms all over the place, so lemme fix this up a bit.

[ruleslawyer]
When you roll initiative, Druid gets to pick a subclass (Summoner or Shapeshifter) and that is what you are, for that whole encounter.
You also get to pick a Form (Dire Bear, Stalking Cat, or Great Eagle) as part of your initiative, but you can also switch later as a Minor action; if you choose Shapeshifter, you can also Wildshape as part of the initiative check, whereas Summoner basically picks the form of their animal companion at initiative, and then you actually summon them once it's your turn.

The +1d4 to attack is a Stalking Cat feature, but you turned into a Dire Bear, but that's ok because you hit anyway.
[/ruleslawyer]

When you wildshape into Bear form, your maximum HP increases by 8, and you "heal" for 3+1=4, so your HP will be at 28/32

The Spider eats a hearty swipe from a bearclaw, after receiving a barrage of tetanus-riddled silverware; it is Bloodied (8/48 HP)

:siren: Rae: :rolldice: FINISH HIM :siren:

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Struggling mildly with the spider's webbing, Rae's eyes briefly flare with an orange glow as she casts a baleful glare at the last remaining creature, cowing it into submission. She'd figure out what to do with it later, after scrapping the webs off herself and her gear.

Intimidate roll since it's Bloodied and that's all I need: 16.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
The spider cowers back, meekly. (Mechanically, it is Dropped, as it is no longer a combatant.)

The gobsmacked onlookers cheer your efforts, but who knows what sent the spiders after you, or if there are further threats lying in ambush elsewhere for your convoy.

How would the group like to proceed?

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Slayn clambers down off the landship, meandering over to inspect the ruined spider carcasses. Spitting, he nods to Vlad and Rae.

"That wasn't so much trouble, was it?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Vlad dusts himself and does a too rough slap on the back to Rae. "I think we handled it just fine, wouldn't you say!" And laughs heartily, leaning on his sword. "So! Tell me, are we going to clear the rest of the path for the convoy?"

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Rae careens into the pile of web she'd just finished scrapping off. "...yes, quite."

Brushing off the strands of silk again, she replies to Vlad, "Though I'm loathe to leave the convoy given the recent chaos, there is sense in scouting ahead if we're to face more such threats. My name is Rae."

Rae turns to Slayn. "Charmed, I'm sure..."

She glances around for a moment, then asks, "Was there not a bear here a moment ago?"

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Slayn nudges a pile of spider guts with the grimy toe of his boot.

"Scouting's smart. Not much for outdoors unless I have to be." He jabs a finger at Alessa. "You're woodsy. Why don't you look?"

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Alright, so it looks like we're back to Exploration.

Generally you'll be looking at using these skillsets (since we're outdoors):
  • STR (Run, Climb)
  • AGIL (Jump, Stealth)
  • Detection (Investigate, Perception)

So you might be running ahead of the convoy as an advance scout, climbing/jumping through the trees lining the road to get a higher viewpoint, hiding in the underbrush to counter any ambushes you may encounter, investigating the trail or nearby paths/tracks, or just keeping your eyes and ears open.

If you're pretty sure of which skill you'd be using, go ahead and roll it; otherwise, describe your course of action and I'll adjudicate which skill would be appropriate.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Slayn grunts, "See if I can't see anything in the shadows."

Slayn makes a Stealth check while entering the forest....

Orokos posted:

http://orokos.com/roll/507666
Description Skill check for the forest
Results 1d20: 8 [1d20=8]

... he is not very good at being sneaky ...

Orokos posted:

http://orokos.com/roll/507675
Description +Training dice
Results 1d6: 4 [1d6=4]

... fortunately, he remembers what he was taught, and manages to pull it off with a total roll of 12.

slap me and kiss me fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 18, 2017

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
roll that Training die! (d6)

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Jozan hops off of the landships and moves towards his compatriots. "Hail, I am Jozan, Dawnbreaker of Pelor. Pleased to meet you." As his newfound companions head into the woods, he follows, keeping his eyes peeled and looking for anything out of the ordinary.

Perception: 1d20+1d6 11

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
"I'll catch up, I'm going to have a chat with our 'friend' here."

Rae turned to the still cowering spider.

"Now, you gonna play nice and help, or do I have to be mean again?"

Animal Handling: 9, spider why won't you listen to reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
The spider makes a pathetic-sounding coo, and its hind legs make half a step back; you can judge that it no longer has any hostile intent, but it is super scurred of Rae.

Generally speaking, when a skill check is unsuccessful, your options are to use another skill (because I don't want people spamming a thing over and over until it works) or, uh... have someone else use another skill.

You don't have a ton of plausible alternate skills in this kind of scenario (unless you want to try wrasslin' it, I guess) so in this instance I'll allow another party member to try Animal Handling.
Since we essentially want to be going "around the table" and having everyone make a check before anyone takes a 2nd, Alessa or Vlad can take a shot at it, or use other skills, as they see fit.

Slayn makes himself well-hidden.
Jozan's check will be adjudicated once the other checks are made.

e; grammar

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 20, 2017

• Locked thread