Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

WWE Backlash has brought a whole lot of wrestling to Chicago this weekend, and that includes a TakeOver. Only a few short months since TakeOver Orlando resulted in all three NXT belts retained, tonight brings not only three more matches for NXT championships, but also a defense of the new WWE UK Championship.

While NXT TV over the last couple months has been a marked improvement from last year's mostly mediocre product, I know a lot of people still don't keep up with the weekly show, so here's a brief storyline recap. I'm excited for all of these matches!!

NXT Championship Match
Bobby Roode (c) vs Hideo Itami

Hideo Itami hasn't been in an actual match on a TakeOver since NXT TakeOver: Rival, way the gently caress back in February 2015, defeating Tyler Breeze. That's right: Hideo hasn't had a TakeOver match since the era in which Baron Corbin was feuding with Bull Dempsey, pre-Alexa Blake and Murphy were the reigning tag champions, and Kevin Owens won his first NXT Championship.

In the time since Itami's perpetual injury purgatory began, the NXT championship has been held by four different wrestlers. But while Hideo's been stuck on the sidelines for years, he's come back at an opportune time: Bobby Roode's championship reign as a cheating, scared heel is one that seems poised to end at any moment.

Itami's victory over Roderick Strong two weeks ago gave him a long-awaited shot at the title, rocketing him from a re-debut and a jobber victory to the main event of TakeOver. On a conference call this week, Triple H made it clear this is Itami's sink-or-swim moment, and I'm curious to see just what he does with the opportunity.

NXT Women's Championship Match
Asuka (c) vs Ruby Riot vs Nikki Cross

While Asuka's dominance in the women's division should have been reinforced by her victory over Ember Moon in Orlando, their match instead showed something we've never seen in an Asuka match before - a weakness. Asuka's victory was only possible by pushing the ref and preventing Moon from attempting her signature Eclipse finisher.

In the time since their match, Asuka has only become more paranoid and ruthless. A Number 1 Contendership Battle Royale was called off when Asuka ran in to beat down the remaining wrestlers - Moon, Ruby Riot, and Nikki Cross - brutally injuring Moon's shoulder in the process.

To punish Asuka, a furious William Regal turned the match into a triple threat for the title. While Asuka has successfully retained her belt against multiple opponents before, in a match involving Billie Kay, Peyton Royce, and Cross, she relied on Kay and Royce putting Cross through a table to even the odds and clearing an easier path to victory. One expects her to use the bitter rivalry between Riot and Cross to her advantage, but considering she'll lose her belt if one pins the other, nothing is guaranteed tonight.

NXT Tag Team Championship Ladder Match
The Authors of Pain (c) vs #DIY

In a move that may, depending on how tonight goes, wind up getting nominated for this year's WON awards as the Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic, the good bookers of NXT decided to put a multiply-injured Tommaso Ciampa in a ladder match.

The biggest story here is that, between Ciampa's ongoing shoulder injuries and his recent leg injury on Thursday, this could be the last we see of Ciampa for a very long time. The ending of this match is almost guaranteed, but at the same time, I am really excited to see what stupid poo poo Akam and Rezar get up to in this match - their previous SHARK CAGE MATCH at TakeOver Toronto showed they have more versatility than you might expect.

WWE UK Championship Match
Tyler Bate (c) vs Pete Dunne

This rematch of the final round of the WWE UK Championship earlier this year has been highly anticipated for a long time. On yesterday's UK special, Pete Dunne brutally beat down Trent Seven to become the number one contender, and now, he'll get his chance to gain the belt.

Both of these guys are young - Bate's 20, Dunne's 23 - and are, respectively, the biggest face and biggest heel to come out of the WWE's nascent UK division. Tonight's match should be nothing short of vicious, and, ideally, like all of the best Pete Dunne matches, end in William Regal glaring angrily at Dunne.

Roderick Strong vs Eric Young

Just because this is the only match of the show without a belt at stake doesn't mean it's completely free of drama. Strong is poised for a big push in NXT, with recent video packages drawing on his real-life story giving him character for the first time since his debut as a vanilla face.

With Dillinger having been called up to the main roster, those in NXT allied against SAnitY - Ruby Riot, Kassius Ohno, No Way Jose, and Strong - are now without their de facto leader, and with a victory tonight, Strong could cement himself as the new king of the NXT midcard. On the other hand, Young could certainly use this victory, too, to prove himself as a singles threat in NXT.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

what time does this poo poo start

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

8pm EST, with a preshow at 7:30, like literally every TakeOver that has ever happened except that London one

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Bate/Dunne is an easy MOTN favorite. Everything else looks pretty good. Should be a fun time!

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
I'm here to see Pete Dunne

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Got a buddy going tonight, watching for him tonight. Also here for Bruiserweight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NiU_RHWpAE

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 20, 2017

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
This be my first NXT event to attend. Pretty exciting for it and I'm in like the 2nd row on the ground which should be awesome.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Spiffster posted:

Got a buddy going tonight, watching for him tonight. Also here for Bruiserweight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NiU_RHWpAE

this is the worst poo poo ever.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Same, for NXT

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

RUBY RIOT
clap clap clapclapclap

(please be okay, Ciampa)

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Tonight we find out if Pete Dunne can fit two belts in his mouth at the same time.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Pinwiz11 posted:

(please be okay, Ciampa)
And if the wrestling injury gods have to be so cruel, could it at least be Scott Dawson as Gargano's mystery partner?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Dunne got weird teeth

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Dunne got weird teeth

He's British.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Digital Jedi posted:

This be my first NXT event to attend. Pretty exciting for it and I'm in like the 2nd row on the ground which should be awesome.

buddy. while you're Watching this event. if any part gets boring. go ahead and imagine that your'e wrestling against me right in the middle of that ring, and applying Your hold of choice. big time. Enjoy

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Is Adam Cole showing up or nah

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Kvantum posted:

And if the wrestling injury gods have to be so cruel, could it at least be Scott Dawson as Gargano's mystery partner?

It should be Dash. As we saw in the 3-way elimination match, the cuter members of each team get paired up, as do the balder

abraham linksys posted:

Just because this is the only match of the show without a belt at stake doesn't mean it's completely free of drama. Strong is poised for a big push in NXT, with recent video packages drawing on his real-life story giving him character for the first time since his debut as a vanilla face.

I haven't seen any of those video packages, what's his new character like

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Jenny Angel posted:

It should be Dash. As we saw in the 3-way elimination match, the cuter members of each team get paired up, as do the balder

Dash still has his jaw wired shut probably?

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I'm excited about wrestling.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Dunne got weird teeth

Thats a mouthguard you idiot

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

NickRoweFillea posted:

Is Adam Cole showing up or nah

Probably not because ROH is bringing suit against them for tampering, so they can't do the cheeky 'oh look at this person who just happens to be in the front row tonight!' shot that they loved doing for a while

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Grozz Nuy posted:

Probably not because ROH is bringing suit against them for tampering, so they can't do the cheeky 'oh look at this person who just happens to be in the front row tonight!' shot that they loved doing for a while

Meh. Is anybody expected to debut or any potential signings to announce?

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Pete Dunne is amazing and I hope they capitalize on him. Real headliner and main roster champion material.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

NickRoweFillea posted:

Meh. Is anybody expected to debut or any potential signings to announce?

Not that I know of. Shirai and Hojo both have a show in Japan today/tonight, and Adam Cole isn't around tonight either. I'd hope they would start announcing the participants of the Women's Tournament though.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 20, 2017

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Is there any chance that Crazzy Steve will show up, and do they have cameras that can show him that far up in the seats

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't want Ciampa to die. I was hoping they'd have a shock replacement. Whom, you may ask?

SAY YEAH

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I'm at the arena, they're taping the preshow now. Got my Top Guys shirt on just in case.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

friendly lil reminder that pre-show taping spoilers are welcome in the spoilers thread, but not this or the NXT thread :)

jealous of everyone there tonight, y'all have fun!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

No matches yet, I'll keep them quiet.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Got my seat and drat am I close. This is awesome

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 21, 2017

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
And we already have a beach ball going around before the taping begins

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

DarkstarIV posted:

Not that I know of. Shirai and Hojo both have a show in Japan today/tonight, and Adam Cole isn't around tonight either. I'd hope they would start announcing the participants of the Women's Tournament though.
KOR is in town

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

KOR is in town

please do not imply that future WWN Champion Kyle O'Reilly would go work for the fed

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
wresatle

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

ok im watching this now

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
im ready to watch it

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
charly~

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
Not so sure about your "jam packed" assertion there host lady.

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Gon be good show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

nigels head is weird looking