Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Madden NFL 18
Release Date - August 25th, 2017
Platforms - PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360

Pricing and Preorder Bonuses

All Retailers, Physical and Digital
$59.99 USD Standard Edition
$79.99 USD Deluxe Edition - Gets you a GOAT player (85 ovr Jerry Rice, Deion Sanders, Ray Lewis, Barry Sanders, or Tom Brady), three days early access starting August 22nd, and some other MUT poo poo.

I'll effort post more of the upgrades later tonight or tomorrow, but below is a high level overview of the new stuff this year.

New Frostbite Engine - New and buggy ways to play football in it's first year!
See stunning new stadium exteriors surrounded by vast cityscapes and watch the spectacle of NFL game day come to life in our most photorealistic game to date. All-new firework displays, player run-outs and stunning weather elements deliver Madden like you've never seen it.

LONGSHOT Live the story of an NFL prospect on and off the field.
For the first time in franchise history, Madden NFL 18 introduces Longshot, a football redemption story you can play. After three years away from the game, lead forgotten prospect and former five-star high school quarterback, Devin Wade as he tries to overcome the loss of his father and take one last shot at his dream of becoming an NFL player. Bolstered by his best friend Colt Cruise and NFL Legends, your decisions will determine if Devin hears his name on Draft Day.

MUT SQUADS Team up with friends and conquer the gridiron.
Lead two friends to victory in this all-new online team play experience by selecting roles on the field and merging each players' Ultimate Team line ups of current NFL stars and legends to play cooperatively vs. other players.

PLAY NOW LIVE! Play the best real-world NFL match ups each week!
Take the field with your favorite team or play the best weekly matchup using live updates containing the latest rosters, custom commentary and up-to-date stats from NFL.com then continue your season all the way to the Super Bowl from Play Now.

GAMEPLAY
Target Passing: For the first time ever, throw to who you want, in the exact spot on the field with all-new Target Passing, giving you, ultimate control over where the ball is thrown.
Play Styles: Play the game you want by selecting from three new and unique play styles catering each match up to your specifications:
Arcade - Action- packed excitement filled with spectacular plays and scoring with limited penalties.
Simulation - True to player and team ratings using authentic NFL rules and gameplay.
Competitive - Your stick skills are key -- earn big rewards for your skill or receive bigger penalties.
Coverage Assignment: Know your job in pass coverage with an on-screen, real-time UI system informing you of your coverage assignment in pass defense.
Coach Adjustments: Customize the AI to fit your game plan and make situational changes to your strategy on the fly as the game demands it.
FAVORITE WAYS TO PLAY
MUT Build, play, and win with your ultimate team of todays' NFL stars and legends. Madden Ultimate Team (MUT) is the complete NFL team-building mode using your favorite NFL players from the past and present. Play games, collect rewards, and upgrade your team with daily, fun and engaging content updates including legendary NFL players exclusively found in MUT. Continuously craft your squad to elite status on the road to building your Ultimate Team dynasty.

MUT Squads: Team up with friends and dominate the gridiron. Lead two friends to victory in this all-new online team play experience by selecting roles on the field and merging each players' Ultimate Team line ups of current NFL stars and legends to play cooperatively vs. other players.
MUT Champions: Put your Madden Ultimate Team to the test by competing in MUT Champions. Rack up wins to qualify for the Weekend League where you'll compete for your shot at some of the best rewards in Ultimate Team
MUT Draft (formally DRAFT CHAMPIONS): Get all the excitement that comes with drafting a fantasy team and competing in Madden. First, you're the general manager, building your team through the draft. Then, take your team to the gridiron for a few fast-paced games of Madden NFL.
FRANCHISE Create your Dynasty.
Play weekly full-game matchups or get through a season quickly by playing as just the offense, defense, or key moments from the game. Grab the reins and control your teams' operations from signing free agents and making trades, to scouting and drafting players, your decisions build your dynasty. Join up with other players and battle through the season in a fully connected league experience. Manage your Franchise from your smart phone using the Madden Companion App.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
It's gonna be bad op

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
I lust for death

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I can't wait for Roster Update 18 gunna be dope

For real this is my first madden since Madden 25 on the 360 tho so even if it's trash I'm gunna have a good time doing a 15 year fins dynasty

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
When is TeeMerk sending me my copy

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Longshot sounds dumb because I can't customize my dude, the description is off (if I've been out of college that long I wouldn't be drafted, I would be a FA) and Colt Cruise is a stupid name. Also it just sounds like that bad career mode that 2K did with spike lee all over again except you don't even get to play in the NFL.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
It's gunna be really bad

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Gonna be spending a lot of time in the auction house wasting all my coins because I constantly need to change my MUT team because I am dumb.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I hope I can play Man coverage and bring heavy pressure the entire game

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Is the EA access trial gonna be open tonight?

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.
Can't wait to throw so many Andey picks to Oberst in honor of my late brother-in-law this year.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Im playing this year. Bitches.

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.

davecrazy posted:

Im playing this year. Bitches.

hell yes bring it on

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
I'm not seeing a league thread yet, do you all want me to post one up or is someone working on it?

Oberst
May 24, 2010

No I'm making it. Also get on discord (this is pretty much a requirement this year)

You cucks are loving impatient

Oberst
May 24, 2010

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3830635

There you go, retards

Oberst
May 24, 2010

and a thread for you brain dead xbox users

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3830636

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

What about Madden Mobile?

Oberst
May 24, 2010

lmao good luck with that

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Longshot sounds dumb because I can't customize my dude, the description is off (if I've been out of college that long I wouldn't be drafted, I would be a FA) and Colt Cruise is a stupid name. Also it just sounds like that bad career mode that 2K did with spike lee all over again except you don't even get to play in the NFL.

I really hope it's Spike Lee level dumb, I really do. The NBA 2k16 story mode is one of the funniest things I've seen in my life. It's The Room bad.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

WampaLord posted:

I really hope it's Spike Lee level dumb, I really do. The NBA 2k16 story mode is one of the funniest things I've seen in my life. It's The Room bad.

Unintentional hilarity is the modes only fighting chance.

The spike lee one was pretty amazing for that. I made my guy white since I'm white and I didn't know anything about the story, and it starts with me and my friend and my sister who is black, so I'm like ok, one of us is adopted. So then you meet the parents who are black and I'm like ok I was adopted, that's fine. Then my sister reveals we're twins and I'm like ok maybe we just happened to be born around the same time and we call ourselves twins. Then there's some story about mom going back to work right after giving birth to us and I gave up.

Spike Lee I did everything I could to rationalize your story but I'm not calling my mom a whore.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

zimbomonkey posted:

Is the EA access trial gonna be open tonight?

fyi it's up right now.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Spike Lee I did everything I could to rationalize your story but I'm not calling my mom a whore.

My favorite part is that for Vic's eight minute long ghost monologue at the end, the one where he says that he wanted to gently caress both your girlfriend and your mom, he has to read off of a notepad. THE GHOST HAS A GHOST NOTEPAD HE READS FROM

They didn't have to put the notepad in the game, but they did. Spike Lee chose to include it, it would have been much easier to not model a notepad, but they put the loving notepad in there.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

I gave up at like game 53 of season 1

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Here's a leak of the first bit of the story mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bveKAI3eGb8

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

I played through the entire first bit of the story mode. Think I maybe spent 10-15 minutes playing and 45 minutes watchng cutscenes (not counting the "choices" you make along the way.) You don't get to play football until the last minute and even then it's on easy mode. It's... mehhh? Same with the game in general. Things feel... a little better...maybe?

Except the menus. Holy poo poo are they snappy compared to last year. Also no dumb intro game thing, which is nice.

Would I buy this? Probably not. Will I buy it? Yes because I'm a hopeless addict

Also it had a bunch of weird framerate drops when breaking the huddle and during some of the presentation stuff.

zimbomonkey fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 17, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

zimbomonkey posted:

Except the menus. Holy poo poo are they snappy compared to last year. Also no dumb intro game thing, which is nice.

Thank gently caress.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

zimbomonkey posted:

Also it had a bunch of weird framerate drops when breaking the huddle and during some of the presentation stuff.

the xbox one has the wrong kind of ram

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

First dump off to the flat has the same stupid thing where the player with 20 yards of open field in front of them instead turns and takes two steps out of bounds.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Kickoff after halftime has no visible kicker and happens from the 50. The kicker kicks it well out of the back of the end zone. The receiving team gets two points and is credited with a safety. I don't think this one is fully cooked guys.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

zimbomonkey posted:

Yeah no intro thing because of Longshot, but man I figured they would've forced you into the beginning of Longshot since the EP's always have a boner for doing new user flow stuff.

zimbomonkey posted:

Kickoff after halftime has no visible kicker and happens from the 50. The kicker kicks it well out of the back of the end zone. The receiving team gets two points and is credited with a safety. I don't think this one is fully cooked guys.
I was going to say that's a brand new bug to FB but I'm pretty sure I remember that happening at some point during 17 and finding it hilarious as the ball went flying when it never appeared anyone touched it.

The getting a safety is a new thing for sure.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
should I buy this poo poo?

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
For anyone who doesn't know, Best Buy is giving a $15 gift card and a $10 off coupon for Madden 18 when you trade in Madden 17. This is cheaper than getting it off Amazon with the Prime discount. I traded mine in yesterday and used the gift card as the down payment, I wanted to just pay for the whole thing, but you can't use the coupon until you go to actually pick up the game. The game is a bit under $40 after tax.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

real_scud posted:

Yeah no intro thing because of Longshot, but man I figured they would've forced you into the beginning of Longshot since the EP's always have a boner for doing new user flow stuff.

I was going to say that's a brand new bug to FB but I'm pretty sure I remember that happening at some point during 17 and finding it hilarious as the ball went flying when it never appeared anyone touched it.

The getting a safety is a new thing for sure.

How in the hell could a glitch like that survive through a total engine change?

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Stevie Lee posted:

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

I disagree. This will be the first Madden I don't buy at launch in many years, at least until the postseason price drop.

(I just know I'll buy it within a month though)

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

zimbomonkey posted:

engine change

you answered your own question

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

The question was, why would this bug even be able to pass through engines like it did? Why did it survive?

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Stevie Lee posted:

Yes you stupid fucko

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oberst
May 24, 2010

zimbomonkey posted:

The question was, why would this bug even be able to pass through engines like it did? Why did it survive?

• Locked thread