Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

intel cpus have a bad fuckup:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/

it looks like the bug is in their branch predictor and allows user space programs to read kernel data and do other awful things. there's no microcode fix for it, the fix has to be applied at the OS level and it's going to have some potentially big performance impacts for some intel CPU workloads. the reductions can be as bad as 30%

surprisingly, amd (says their) cpus arent't affected:

quote:

Subject: [PATCH] x86/cpu, x86/pti: Do not enable PTI on AMD processors

AMD processors are not subject to the types of attacks that the kernel
page table isolation feature protects against. The AMD microarchitecture
does not allow memory references, including speculative references, that
access higher privileged data when running in a lesser privileged mode
when that access would result in a page fault.

Disable page table isolation by default on AMD processors by not setting
the X86_BUG_CPU_INSECURE feature, which controls whether X86_FEATURE_PTI
is set.

Signed-off-by: Tom Lendacky <thomas.lendacky@amd.com>
---
arch/x86/kernel/cpu/common.c | 4 ++--
1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/common.c b/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/common.c
index c47de4e..7d9e3b0 100644
--- a/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/common.c
+++ b/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/common.c
@@ -923,8 +923,8 @@ static void __init early_identify_cpu(struct cpuinfo_x86 *c)

setup_force_cpu_cap(X86_FEATURE_ALWAYS);

- /* Assume for now that ALL x86 CPUs are insecure */
- setup_force_cpu_bug(X86_BUG_CPU_INSECURE);
+ if (c->x86_vendor != X86_VENDOR_AMD)
+ setup_force_cpu_bug(X86_BUG_CPU_INSECURE);

fpu__init_system(c);

amd would be in prime position to sell a bunch of new hardware except they still don't have epyc cpus available in the general supply chain.

more news about the exact bug with intel cpus is expected later this week. maybe more of that news will get posted here or maybe this thread will die because yospos is dead :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

also, i managed to gently caress up more than intel and amd in the title but gently caress it

Number19 fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 3, 2018

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Intel will probably have a boon in new CPU shipments from this as they can advertise speed improvements rebased to the neutered performance levels.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

It was bound to happen. When you're doing crazy optimizations in your architecture to squeeze out a few more percent it's going to open you up to new bugs

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

intel will end up selling 30% more cpus to make up for the lost perf lol

movax
Aug 30, 2008

glad to see something besides iot get turbo-hosed

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

how long does it take to do a hardware revision? is this even going to get fixed in coffee lake or whatever the next cpu is (ice lake?) it sounds like the branch predictor is busted and that might not be very easy to fix?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

lol. goldmine

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

using a coffee lake cpu right now so my guess is they're going to make yet another "add an option, call it super" revision to 1166 and everyone on a different pga can get hosed

in amd's position i'd give up on ryzen 2 and just shovel as many of whatever they've already drawn out the door like, now

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

how long has NSA known about this lol

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Number19 posted:

how long does it take to do a hardware revision? is this even going to get fixed in coffee lake or whatever the next cpu is (ice lake?) it sounds like the branch predictor is busted and that might not be very easy to fix?

jawn or some other intel goon can correct me, but 'hardware revision' in this case i think means 'wait for the next uarch'

mask change would be hilariously loving expensive (and a major stepping rev) and i feel like this isn't a thing you can go and fib out / cut a couple of wires

bonus mega-hosed: validating the above

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

It mostly affects synthetic benchmarks. It looks like the biggest impact are in databases. which, lol

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

AMD is back baby. its good again. oowooao (concurrency howl)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

pro-click on branch prediction: https://danluu.com/branch-prediction/

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

looks like my decision to stick with a 10+ year old amd cpu is finally paying off :smug:

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Elder Postsman posted:

looks like my decision to stick with a ppc cpu is finally paying off :smug:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
let’s just speculate into kernel code, what could go wrong? and now Linux is unmapping the kernel on every context change, this is going to hurt. there is no way this is going to be fixed in hardware in a few weeks or months, it’s a major architecture change.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

movax posted:

jawn or some other intel goon can correct me, but 'hardware revision' in this case i think means 'wait for the next uarch'

mask change would be hilariously loving expensive (and a major stepping rev) and i feel like this isn't a thing you can go and fib out / cut a couple of wires

new enough intel CPUs have a feature called PCID that allows them to swap between sets of TLB entries or something (haven't read much about it yet), so if the hardware and OS both support PCID you can mitigate the flaw with a much more minor performance impact

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lol

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

can't they just market their insecure cpus as now being 30% faster

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
this is way beyond me

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

movax posted:

pro-click on branch prediction: https://danluu.com/branch-prediction/

pro click

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Number19 posted:

there's no microcode fix for it

lmao rip my existing processors, I guess

but also

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

this is way beyond me

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

movax posted:

the next uarch might be hosed too. it depends on how long intel has known about this and when they started designing a fix.

also if the fix is easy or something deep in their architecture that’s going to take a lot of work to correct

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
man I hope lowtax has sa running on a bunch of loving raspberry pi s

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

man I hope lowtax has sa running on a bunch of loving raspberry pi s

bring back mips

good enough for your router good enough for the cloud

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

im betting on risc v

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
more like Branch Davidian

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

hale nop

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

:pwn:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Raere posted:

im betting on risc v

lol

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
how much will this affect my FPS in shitteo shames?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

DuckConference posted:

new enough intel CPUs have a feature called PCID that allows them to swap between sets of TLB entries or something (haven't read much about it yet), so if the hardware and OS both support PCID you can mitigate the flaw with a much more minor performance impact

I forgot about those; need an effort post on that stat

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

movax posted:

I forgot about those; need an effort post on that stat

it’s just ASID, right?

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Beast of Bourbon posted:

lol. many, many people will never install a security patch ever again

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
so this is probably exploitable if you get execution inside a browser sandbox process, yeah?

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Beast of Bourbon posted:

not too much apparently:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=x86-PTI-Initial-Gaming-Tests

it seems like its IO heavy stuff

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-415-x86pti&num=1

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Oh, good, so just literally everything that I work on.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
yeah its going to be great. next week every cloud provider gets to tell their customers they are getting 20% less boom than they were the week before for the same money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

yeah its going to be great. next week every cloud provider gets to tell their customers they are getting 20% less boom than they were the week before for the same money.

there is no accountability in the world, Intel will continue to sell things and profit

• Locked thread