Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
For New Year's I decided to make a simple resolution; paint for an average of an hour each day for an entire year. It's only been a week but I've managed to keep it going and I think having a sort of motivational progress thread will be helpful. So that's what this is. The idea is simple; just paint, and every time you do make a post here talking about what you did. You spent fifteen minutes cutting the flashing off of a Space Marine? Great. Post about it. You spent six hours learning how to airbrush and finally managed to make a straight line? Awesome, talk about it here.The intent is to have everyone see what everyone else is doing and maintain a positive attitude about getting stuff done.

Isn't There Already a Painting and an Oath Thread?
Yes. And plenty of people talk about painting in the 40K thread, and I imagine the same is true for other games. But I suspect people would get tired of daily posts about incremental improvements; here that's to be celebrated.

Will There Be Prizes and Competitions?
My goal is to avoid the structure of things like the Oath thread, where some folks (including myself) aren't a fan of the monthly schedule or the thematic elements. That's not to say the Oath thread is bad (clearly it works and is awesome), just that it's not for everyone. So this thread will avoid a schedule or competition, with one exception. Since I've already had a few folks indicate they'd be willing to contribute awards I think we may do something at the end to reward people who've made the most progress. We'll see, I'd like the thread to survive before I commit to anything.

I'm a Masochist Who Thrives On Pain, How Can I Further Motivate Myself?
Well you're more than welcome to :toxx: yourself. I'll keep track of them and we can laugh at our foolishness at the end of the year. In fact I'll start; I :toxx: that I will complete at least 365 hours of painting and hobby time in 2018. That's about it.

Keep Painting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Progress Pictures!

Eventually this is where the posts showing everything people have painted will go.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
List of :toxx:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I :toxx: that I will complete at least 365 hours of painting and hobby time in 2018.

Immanentized posted:

I'll add to the :toxx:.

I, Immanentized pledge the following assembled and painted by the end of 2018:

1. 2000 points of Adeptus Custodes for 40k

2. A flavorful "hero" squad from the Guard and Primaris armies I've had on my workbench for the last 5 months

3. Move at least 3 finished minis off my workbench by Sunday of each week.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

For the hell of it I'll :toxx: a Death Guard army consisting of at least two HQ, three Troops, one Heavy Support, and one Fast Attack by the end of the year. It's not a huge goal, but I haven't fully completed a unit in maybe three years.

Liquid Communism posted:

I'll :toxx: one for fun.

By 1 Jan 2019, I will finish painting and basing at least 2k points of Space Wolves.

ijyt posted:

Sweet, an SA version of tg’s /wip/. I :toxx: to finish my dunecrawler this month as I’ve been putting it off for too long.

Forums Terrorist posted:

I :toxx: to finish 1500 points of Thousand Sons by the end of this year, starting with these Scarab Occult:

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Hell, :toxx: me up for a 2000 point 40k Army of Emperor's Children by the end of the year. I have enough unpainted 30k stuff for them that I can do a whole 40k army out of it as well, so what the hell. If I get to 2k points to early I will try and totally full out my FOC for maximum variation

Hopefully I won't slide in at the last moment like my 30k toxx, but I need to get all this stuff painted anyway. :shrug:

Zark the Damned posted:

I mentioned it in the Resolutions thread and figured I should get in on the :toxx: action to actually try make myself do it!

* Get started on my Imperial Guard and get them to at least 1000 points

So far I have a ton of second hand models and a handful of guys I painted for a Games Day event years ago which may serve as the basis for the colour scheme.

Deified Data posted:

I want to join in on the irresponsible toxx fun but I can't think of anything that's either A) difficult enough to warrant a toxx, and B) achievable enough to reliably finish by year's end. The Tyranids I'm currently working on are going at a good clip and I already have a lot of progress banked, so how about this...(DUAL TOXX):

I hereby :toxx: that I will have 2k points of Tyranids complete by the end of winter (Tuesday, March 20, 11:59 PM Eastern). I will deliver on this with a pic of the assembled army and a battlescribe list outlining the point values.

Secondly, I hereby :toxx: that by the end of 2018 I will have purchased, modeled, and fully painted (1) new Start Collecting box of my choice for either 40k or AoS. This will likely be AdMech or Lizardmen, and will definitely not be a low model count freebie like Eldar or Ogres. I will deliver on this in the same fashion as above - a full army pic with included list.
^^^ Done!

head58 posted:

To keep me moving I’m going to :toxx: to paint up the following in 2018:

1) Reaper Bones Khanjira. I’ve had this knock-off tarrasque still in the box on my shelf since whatever Bones Kickstarter he came out in. Should be fun to paint without an airbrush.

2) The remainder of my Khador for warmachine, which I don’t really play anymore but my completionist streak wants me to have everything painted so when I sell them someone has to be bothered stripping my poo poo paint job. Here’s what I have left to paint:
MoW Shocktroopers
MoW Demo Corps
MoW Kovnik
Winter Guard Rifle corps
Uhlan Kovnik Markov
Min unit of uhlans
Greylord Outriders
Grolar/Kodiak (magnetized)
Winter Guard Field gun Crew
Winter Guard Mortar Crew
Battle Mechanik officer

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 1, 2018

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
I'll add to the :toxx:.

I, Immanentized pledge the following assembled and painted by the end of 2018:

1. 2000 points of Adeptus Custodes for 40k

2. A flavorful "hero" squad from the Guard and Primaris armies I've had on my workbench for the last 5 months

3. Move at least 3 finished minis off my workbench by Sunday of each week.

E: fixed an all caps autocorrect

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 8, 2018

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Cool thread.

I'm working on this bloated, beautiful boy right now:

Things I'm gonna paint this year (Toxx or whatever, sure):
- Ahriman
- Scarab Occult Terminators
- A squad of Thousand Sons
- A Thousand Sons Defiler
- Another Thousand Sons Rhino
- Another Thousand Sons Dreadnought
- This goddamn Blight Drone
- Mortarion

And I think I'm gonna cool it before I pledge anything else. May need to give myself some leeway

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
That lens is loving gorgeous.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Working on Tyranid Warriors tonight. Hope to finish the squad of 3 by Tuesday.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I spent an hour or so idly cleaning a Plague Marine Champion and assembling the hull of a Plagueburst Crawler. Need to do the running gear and weapons tomorrow.

For the hell of it I'll :toxx: a Death Guard army consisting of at least two HQ, three Troops, one Heavy Support, and one Fast Attack by the end of the year. It's not a huge goal, but I haven't fully completed a unit in maybe three years.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That lens is loving gorgeous.

Yeah, what colours did you use? It's very pretty.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Along with my post in the 30k thread I'll :toxx: an Imperial Fist army for 40k of at least one Vanguard detachment (1 HQ + 3 Elites). I'll probably add to this as I go.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I'll :toxx: one for fun.

By 1 Jan 2019, I will finish painting and basing at least 2k points of Space Wolves.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cross post but it's the most recent thing I've done.

Hey thread.

Haven't done all that much painting lately so, I thought I'd just throw up a quick progress of what I did today. The word for the day is - BASE.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I love the idea behind this thread.

Today I finished up this big pretty boi, third in a squad of five Deathwing Knights:

(click for big)

I batch-painted most of the layers and detail colors (ie, the metals, reds, greens, wash on the armor, etc), but I'm finding that bringing the armor back up and doing highlights on it, I can do one guy a night pretty comfortably.

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'm working on this bloated ... boy right now:

Oh cool, the world's first Warhammer self-portrait.

ANAmal.net fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 8, 2018

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I really like the idea of this thread and will probably be posting here instead of the oath thread; I have a two year old and about an hour of free time every night so it's really hard to make actual painting commitments.

Here's what I've been up to so far in 2018:

I did an oath to finish my new Redemptor up in January. I'm only a week in and making some really good progress so far:

After weeks of trying to make my Captain's Iron Halo not look goopy and terrible I finally gave up and clipped it off to replace it with a bit from the old Blood Angels upgrade sprue.

Said Captain before giving up:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I am making an informal pledge to paint my Howling Griffons and Vior'la Tau this year.

Today, I experimented with Alclad lacquer metallics and Tamiya Clear Red.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Seven days in my total painting time is 8:12, so at the very least I'm ahead of the curve. Today was spent continuing to work on my second squad of Intercessors. I managed to get all the leather and soft bits done, mount the heads, and start working on the bone for the shoulder pads and eagles. The bone is really tedious and I can't wait to get past these Dark Imperium models so I can just airbrush the pads individually.

My process is a little odd. I do the vast majority of the work before the model is assembled, and then go in a very gradual approach. For example those bases are completely done outside of painting a black band around the edge before I glue the model on, and the purple armor is already highlighted and washed before they come together. The difference in my edge highlighting between this squad and the last is pretty significant.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheChirurgeon posted:

Things I'm gonna paint this year (Toxx or whatever, sure):
- Ahriman
- Scarab Occult Terminators
- A squad of Thousand Sons
- A Thousand Sons Defiler
- Another Thousand Sons Rhino
- Another Thousand Sons Dreadnought
- This goddamn Blight Drone
- Mortarion

And I think I'm gonna cool it before I pledge anything else. May need to give myself some leeway

To be clear if you want to do the :toxx: challenge go ahead and use the smiley, since that's SA's rule for banning people.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Calling it a night after finishing grey highlights on all three warriors and the Moot green on one of them, more or less bringing it to a finished state sans basing.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm so glad this thread is getting as well received as it is. Glad to see everyone's progress!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Reading the posts after mine made me put on another episode of Best of the Worst on youtube and finish doing the road wheels. Thanks for starting this.

Edit: plan backfired, I can't see poo poo from tears of laughter.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 8, 2018

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
Maybe it's poor form to start off with something I just finished, but you'll all just have to deal with it, because I just finished these Three Golden Dingus:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
You finished something. That's definitely good form.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Good idea for a thread! This is the squad of Skiitari and walker I'm trying to finish this week:

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lovely phone pic posting but I did some work on this duder today. Just getting the base colours down and worked on his base.

When he gets closer to being done, he'll get glued on to the base, which will get some more detail on.

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.
Thanks for making this thread, I'm hoping this kind of reinforcement will help me actually get stuff consistently done rather than just in a few fevered weeks of desperate modeling at a time! I'm unfortunately stuck without a good camera until I get a new phone, so these are the best I can do right now. My goal for 2018 is to get up to 1k points worth of fully built and painted Harlequins so I can slam hams with the most power metal army in 40k.

Here's the pile: 32 Troupers, 4 Troupe Leaders, 2 Shadowseer, 1 Solitaire, 1 Death Jester, 6 Skyweaver jetbikes, and 2 Star-/Voidweavers (planning on magnetizing these so they can serve as either). All of them aside from the plastic vehicles are original Rogue Trader models :getin: that I just recently finished collecting and stripping to begin painting.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Sweet, an SA version of tg’s /wip/. I :toxx: to finish my dunecrawler this month as I’ve been putting it off for too long.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I :toxx: to finish 1500 points of Thousand Sons by the end of this year, starting with these Scarab Occult:

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

I just knocked over my bits box. So I'm doing that...

When I'm not doing that, I'm working on the Necromunda box.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Washed a Skitarii Vanguard this morning and got everything up to and including washes done on some Scions as well. My converted Tempestor Prime is also most of the way there.

I accidentally bought a bunch more Mechanicum yesterday, another Tempestus Scions SC, and ordered a Basilisk, so there's going to be a lot to build soon too.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Awesome thread, if it wasn't the dead of night I'd post some pictures of what's on my table. My XIV army had nearly all of its core elements complete and I was thinking that it might be a fun exercise to ask the thread what unit in my backlog I should hit next.

I've got a friend who's torn between a dozen armies of bare plastic and has found some success in getting regular painting in by spending half an hour painting something in arm's reach. It doesn't matter what it is, as long as he can reach out from his chair he'll grab it and start panting. He's been churning out more minis the last few weeks than he has in the last year and lets him experiment with a whole bunch of different schemes and techniques. Might be worth thinking about if you find yourself stuck under a mountain of unfinished models that's all of us here.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

adamantium|wang posted:

I've got a friend who's torn between a dozen armies of bare plastic and has found some success in getting regular painting in by spending half an hour painting something in arm's reach. It doesn't matter what it is, as long as he can reach out from his chair he'll grab it and start panting. He's been churning out more minis the last few weeks than he has in the last year and lets him experiment with a whole bunch of different schemes and techniques. Might be worth thinking about if you find yourself stuck under a mountain of unfinished models that's all of us here.

This is basically what I do. I hit more Guard than anything else because that's my tournament army and the one that "needs" to be painted, but I have a bunch of stuff on the go. It keeps things fresh and interesting, although for the back half of this year I'd like to pick up a single army as a project so I can focus more specific for a while.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Hell, :toxx: me up for a 2000 point 40k Army of Emperor's Children by the end of the year. I have enough unpainted 30k stuff for them that I can do a whole 40k army out of it as well, so what the hell. If I get to 2k points to early I will try and totally full out my FOC for maximum variation

Hopefully I won't slide in at the last moment like my 30k toxx, but I need to get all this stuff painted anyway. :shrug:

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

gently caress it, I'll bite. My hobby goal for 2018 is to paint all the Primaris space marine kits I bought for my Raptors chapter force.

Currently I have painted:

Captain x2
Ancient
Hellblasters x2
Reivers x5
Intercessors x5
Chaplain
Half a Redemptor dreadnought.
1 Agressor

poo poo I have lying around waiting for primer:

2 more Agressors
1 Repulsor
a dozen Hellblasters
15 more Reivers
Enough Intercessor bits for 7-8 more
3 Inceptors
1 Apothecary
2 lieutenants

I want all the infantry above painted to a decent standard. Wish me luck goons

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I mentioned it in the Resolutions thread and figured I should get in on the :toxx: action to actually try make myself do it!

* Get started on my Imperial Guard and get them to at least 1000 points

So far I have a ton of second hand models and a handful of guys I painted for a Games Day event years ago which may serve as the basis for the colour scheme.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I will have my White Scars ready for NOVA at a minimum of 7 days prior. If I mention in any way having to panic paint the night before because I put off painting, :toxx: me.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Spent a few minutes this morning playing around with varnishes. The matte finish on the last batch of models I did was really flat (Liquitex Matte Varnish), and I was worried that maybe doing something through the airbrush screwed things up. A batch I did last night looked really glossy even with the same varnish; turns out you need to really shake the bottle before applying. I did another test this morning and sure enough the effect is the same, so now I'm probably going to go to the store and pick up some satin varnish to make things a bit richer.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah, what colours did you use? It's very pretty.

Thanks! It's not quite done yet--I need to add a coat of 'ardcoat to make it shiny. It's Khorne Red base, with a rim of Mephiston Red. Then I shade toward the top right with Carroburg Crimson and Nuln Oil, finish with dots of white. The highlight is Evil Sunz Scarlet with a bit of Jokaero Orange.

ANAmal.net posted:

(click for big)

Oh cool, the world's first Warhammer self-portrait.

I like how you uploaded a massive image for a model that's just going to end up in a trash can later

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Just did a base with citadel texture paint, wash and dry brush on the first two models I painted. My buddy got out all of our old mordheim stuff a few weeks ago, we never painted it when we bought it 20 years ago.

I bought a basic model color kit from Vallejo like a year ago when we first started talking about playing again, and am really happy with their paints.

The citadel pots I bought around the same time all really got dry and lovely, can I just stir them up with a few drops of water?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
You can try. I would consider this an opportunity to switch to Vallejo and never look back.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to finish painting all my Descent figures so I can sell the game and never have to deal with it again.
I'm only missing 8 heroes in various stages of done, BUT the primer messed up so they're all hydrophobic and resistant to stripping. I just spent an hour getting a decent coat of sandy yellow on one of them. Fun times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

gave my dustbins a wash of fleshshade as per the duncan tutorial, so far it's working really well but scarabs really should be done as at least 2 part subassemblies, I'm doing the sorcerer as legs and body and it's way easier to get at all the nooks and crannies than on the rest

next up is a drybrush of sigmarite and then i'll do the blue areas. also screw gw for not offering retributor armour in pot form so i could touch up the armour here and there