Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It's day five of the FIFA World Cup 2018, welcome back in another Hublot Forum of Friendship match day thread.

These are our three matches for today:

Sweden vs South Korea, 14:00 CET, 1 p.m. BST, 8 a.m. EST, Nizhny Novgorod
Belgium vs Panama, 17:00 CET, 4 p.m. BST, 11 a.m. EST, Sochi
Tunisia vs England, 20:00 CET, 7 p.m. BST, 2 p.m. EST, Volgograd

We begin with the second match in Group F, Sweden vs South Korea. Sweden are favored to win, they are a solid team even after Zlatan retired. South Korea had a pretty mixed record in their qualifying, losing to Qatar for example. They will hope that their team around star player Son Heung-min can get better results in the World Cup itself. This game could decide who goes through to the knockout stages, a draw would likely be a bad sign for both teams, provided Germany decide to start playing good football again.

Next up, Belgium will play Panama in the first match of Group G. Belgium were a dark horse to bet on in the last World Cup already, and the hype has only grown. They are playing World Cup newbies Panama, who only qualified thanks to the epic failure that was the USA qualifying campaign. Many consider them the worst team in the World Cup, but nobody thought Iceland would win 1-1 against Argentina, so there's always the possibility that Belgium's golden generation embarrasses itself.

Last but not least, Tunisia will take on England in the second Group G match. It's another lopsided pairing. England are on the upswing again, the last vestiges of their golden generation have been cleared out, and their replacement don't look half bad. Tunisia are missing their best player, Youssef Msakni, due to injury. I don't know any of the English keepers, but their team is surely stronger for not fielding Joe Hart. That said, they were evicted out of the Euros by Iceland in an amazing game, so there's always potential for them to beclown themselves.

For more info, look up the team threads:

Swedish Team Thread
South Korean Team Thread
Belgian Team Thread
Panamanian Team Thread
English Team Thread

There's no Tunisia team thread :(

This is the World Cup of the underdogs. Australia nearly tying France, Argentina failing to put away Iceland, Germany losing to Mexico. Will we have another Cinderella story today? Find out and enjoy the football with us in our cool and good Hublot Forum of Friendship!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

lol england

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

England and Belgium should both win handily

Sweden will win 2-1 or so

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I forgot to set a tag again :doh:

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Torrannor posted:

I forgot to set a tag again :doh:

Shameful.

Anyway, after work me and a bunch of colleagues are gonna get drunk while watching Belgium dunk on Panama and I can't wait!!

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

I allowed myself to actually consider the concept of it coming home yesterday, and I realised that it'd mean Alf Ramsey and Gareth Southgate being spoken about in the same breath for all time and immediately broke into powerful chuckles and guffaws

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

fagner

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I allowed myself to actually consider the concept of it coming home yesterday, and I realised that it'd mean Alf Ramsey and Gareth Southgate being spoken about in the same breath for all time and immediately broke into powerful chuckles and guffaws

this is still infinitely better than the prospect of Sir Wayne Rooney ever was.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

England and Belgium should both win handily

Which means they won't.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
UEFA got this

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

It's coming home

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

HappyCamperGL posted:

It's coming home

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

The golden generation set english football back by 20 years

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
great work on these ops op

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
I hope deeply that Panama, a friend nation of Iceland for hiding our money for us, does a win today. The belgian hype has turned sour after i realized that belgium isnt a real nation

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I'm worried that the wuruld cup won't be as much fun today. All the shitposters and snarky commenters will be at work. I'll have to watch the matches with only the odd dismissive comment.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
im not a difficult man i just want lots of lmaos and VAR

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Mrenda posted:

I'm worried that the wuruld cup won't be as much fun today. All the shitposters and snarky commenters will be at work. I'll have to watch the matches with only the odd dismissive comment.

lol if your work doesn't have a massive telly with the World Cup showing

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Why did Belgium hire Roberto Martinez, of all people?

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
Poonisia

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
south poorea

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

M I N G L A N D

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
shameful behaviour from the swedes, thankfully Korea foiled their devious plans

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/17/sweden-janne-andersson-sprying-row-south-korea

quote:

Sweden have apologised for spying on the South Korea squad at a pre-World Cup training camp.

South Korea, who play Sweden on Monday, said they had responded by swapping players’ numbers to confuse the Swedish snooper because – in the words of their manager, Shin Tae-yong – “it’s very difficult for westerners to distinguish between Asians”.

may the proud soldiers of the land of the morning calm defeat the meatball eating bottom feeders

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Mrenda posted:

be the shitposting you want to see in the world

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Mods embed this into every page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K32Adi8nmzA

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Get to gently caress you were posting in the Germany thread about how you were german last week. gently caress off you stupid pubey oval office.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

track day bro! posted:

Get to gently caress you were posting in the Germany thread about how you were german last week. gently caress off you stupid pubey oval office.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

As a proud German every major football tournament I look forward to back to back world cup wins

:downsbarvo: :bravoguywithdowns: :barvo::downsbravo:

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
A real hot take from footy humour

https://twitter.com/FootyHumour/status/1008437781008445442?s=19

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Dirk Pitt posted:

Why did Belgium hire Roberto Martinez, of all people?

:iiam:

But I'll say this, I think he figured out where to put our 9000 midfielders, because the last game was really good. I'm very excited to see how we do tonight!
Quote this when we lose to Panama.

Basscop posted:

I hope deeply that Panama, a friend nation of Iceland for hiding our money for us, does a win today. The belgian hype has turned sour after i realized that belgium isnt a real nation

Eh, we haven't been a real nation since 1830 :shrug:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

It's coming home

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

sebzilla posted:

It's coming home

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

track day bro! posted:

:downsbarvo: :bravoguywithdowns: :barvo::downsbravo:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

You can't because it's coming home.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
No 11 o'clock game. :(

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I hope Big Vards is slamming down the Red Bulls already

Someone tell me something about Tunisia, I don't even know any stereotypes to make fun of.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm going to be on a train and miss the match :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's really sad that england start vs the very worst team in the cup

• Locked thread