Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Welcome, goons, in out Hublot Forum of Friendship matchday thread. Half of all matches of this World Cup have been played, and they ended with a bang. England shot Panama out of the tournament, while Japan and Senegal had an amazing game. Unfortunately, today's matches likely won't end up as good.

There will be four matches each day until the group stages are finished, here are today's:

Saudi Arabia vs Egypt, 16:00 CET, 3 p.m. BST, 10 a.m. EST, Volgograd
Russia vs Uruguay, 16:00 CET, 3 p.m. BST, 10 a.m. EST, Samara
Iran vs Portugal, 20:00 CET, 7 p.m. BST, 2 p.m. EST, Saransk
Spain vs Morocco, 20:00 CET, 7 p.m. BST, 2 p.m. EST, Kaliningrad

We begin in Group A. Saudi Arabia vs Egypt is a loser's game, with both teams already eliminated from this World Cup. Egypt is the clearly better team, missing Salah they were unlucky not to score against Uruguay, and they did score against Russia. Something Saudi Arabia were unable to do, not scoring any goal in this World Cup. If the Egyptians decide to use this game to make up for their bad results in the first two matches, this might become entertaining to watch. Otherwise, this will likely be a pretty boring affair.

Luckily, there's another Group A match on at the same time as KSA vs EGY. Russia and Uruguay will play to determine who will win the group. Russia are the clear favorites, deposing of Egypt and Saudi Arabia in a pretty convincing fashion. Uruguay were lucky to come away with a victory vs Egypt, and didn't exactly demolish Saudi Arabia as any good football nation should be able to do. Matches involving Uruguay always have the potential to be entertaining for non-football related reasons, but unless Russia decide to impress the home crowd, I don't think we will see too much exciting football this match. Still, it's likely better than the other one.

Group B is much more open than Group A. One of the matches is Iran vs Portugal. Iran needs to win in order to advance, while Portugal get through as long as they don't lose. Big Ron's team is the likely winner of this match, but the Iranians played surprisingly decent football, considering the quality of their players. This could be a fun game, whether Portugal destroy the Iranians, or the plucky underdog fights the favorites to a draw. Personally, I hope for more cool and good goals from Big Ron.

In the other Group B match, we have Spain vs Morocco. Morocco is already eliminated, but Spain isn't through to the knockout stages yet. A Moroccan win, and a draw in the other game, would mean another shameful group stages exit for Spain. Luckily for them, it's very unlikely that they won't win. Morocco have yet to score a goal this World Cup, they are the clear underdogs. Still, they managed to prevent Portugal from scoring more than one goal, so expect a very defensive game from Morocco, Spain will have to work for their chances.

For more squad infos, look up the team threads:

Saudi Arabian Team Thread
Egyptian Thread
Russian Team Thread
Iranian Team Thread
Portuguese Team Thread
Spanish Team Thread
Moroccan Team Thread

We had another amazing match day yesterday. Football might actually come home! It's not! Both Senegal and Japan surely deserve to advance to the knockout stages. The best we can hope for today's first round of games is likely Suarez doing a Suarez. The evening games might be much more entertaining. Join us and find out if i'm right in our Hublot Forum of Friendship!

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jun 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
:d2a: :d2a: :d2a: :d2a: :d2a: :d2a: :d2a: :d2a: :d2a: :d2a: :d2a: :d2a: :d2a: :d2a:

Cutscene Powers
Jun 7, 2010
I hate to say it op but I think this might be the worst day of foot so far, hope Big Ron and co prove me wrong

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Guys, the first match will be on two hours later than we are used to :(

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
im going to actually have to do work this afternoon this loving sucks

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
German-austrian match fixing is the reason we get 2 matches at the same time, another german crime

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Aphex- posted:

im going to actually have to do work this afternoon this loving sucks

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Fagner's - cheek

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I woke up and there's no football for like two and a half hours, what is this poo poo?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

vyelkin posted:

I woke up and there's no football for like two and a half hours, what is this poo poo?

it's madness

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

vyelkin posted:

Extra time for Russian doping training

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I bought Football Manager yesterday to see me through the lack of midday foot today. My team is terrible, annoyed at playing boring football, and they constantly gently caress up in front of the goal. It's filling my world cup needs so well.

(It's on sale on Steam during the wuruld cup for about €18 if anyone wants it.)

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
i need football where is football

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
germans ruin everything

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
My pick for the world cup courtesy of byolante the psychic alcoholic

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
I'm seriously loving mad that i have to wait another 90 minutes before kick off, I'm already unproductive as gently caress at work and it's certainly not getting better as the games get later and later

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Tongues posted:

I'm seriously loving mad that i have to wait another 90 minutes before kick off, I'm already unproductive as gently caress at work and it's certainly not getting better as the games get later and later

I'm mad we "only" get two games of football a day now. This past week loving spoiled me rotten.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Sauid Arabia vs Egypt
Ref: Wilmar Roldan (COL)
VAR: Artur Dias Soares (POR)

Roldan had Tunisia vs England in his first match and that may have been the weakest performance of the tournament so far. I suspect this appointment is political ("Roldan is one of the bigger names from CONMEBOL, he needs to have at least two games.") This game being completely meaningless is perfect for that. Roldan will likely not see the field for a third time.

Russia vs Uruguay
Ref: Malang Diedhiou (SEN)
VAR: Clement Turpin (FRA)

Diedhiou had Serbia vs Costa Rica the first time around. I didn't think he was particularly good in that one. He was the first referee to disagree with VAR's advice here that I can think of when he gave Mazic a yellow instead of a red. Nothing particularly wrong with that decision, just interesting. I have more of a problem with him not dismissing the CRC assistant coach (and VAR really should have intervened for a slap a CRC player did). I suspect this will be his final match in Russia.

Iran vs Portugal
Ref: Enrique Caceres (PAR)
VAR: Massimiliano Irrati (ITA)

Caceres had Russia vs Egypt. He was fine in it. But this match has big potential to go sideways and it is important to the finish of the group. I am kind of shocked that Ricci or Pitana were not prefered.

Spain vs Morocco
Ref: Ravshan Irmatov (UZB)
VAR: Felix Zwayer (GER)

Irmatov had Argentina vs Croatia. No matter how badly this guy does he still finds a way. Blatant misapplications of the Laws, ignoring SFP, the man can do it all and still get games. Someone explained it somewhere else as "FIFA likes him because he doesn't screw them up in a positive way, e.g. he doesn't give bad penalties or wrong send offs. Other referees are clearly better but will end up making those mistakes." In the age of VAR that should matter less now, but, Irmatov will probably screw this one up and then will probably get a third, fourth, and fifth match anyway. I have to imagine the final is his to lose, which sucks.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
we'll get 16 more games in the same amount of time when they do the switch to 48 teams so fingers crossed that im still single and self employed in eight years guys

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Der Shovel posted:

I'm mad we "only" get two games of football a day now. This past week loving spoiled me rotten.

You get four matches if you dual-screen that poo poo, friend.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Byolante posted:

My pick for the world cup courtesy of byolante the psychic alcoholic

I'm the larger blue object on the shelf

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

I'm the shoes discarded carelessly in the middle of the loving house

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
I can’t wait to see England destroy whichever of these bad teams happen to advance

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

poty posted:

I can’t wait to see whichever of these bad teams happen to advance destroy England

ftfy

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
england will be eliminated in the round of 16 by senegal. it is certain

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
It is just.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

rear end cobra posted:

it is coming home

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

apparently Farfan can't play for Peru tomorrow as he suffered a traumatic brain injury in training on saturday

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Collided with a teammate apparently. Too much ceviche and pisco sours imo.

But seriously I wanted to see the whole squad go all out for at least one win and now this dumbass managed to knock himself out of play.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Egypt playing the oldest guy ever in a World Cup.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

2 at a time baby yeah

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
*banging fork and knife on table* bring on the football!!!

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Senegal will toil valiantly against Colombia, but Colombia will win. Poland will screw up against Japan. Senegal will not go through.

England, on the other hand, will prevail.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

shut up blegum posted:

*banging fork and knife on table* bring on the football!!!

yunichel
Apr 27, 2010

Brony Car posted:

Senegal will toil valiantly against Colombia, but Colombia will win. Poland will screw up against Japan. Senegal will not go through.

England, on the other hand, will prevail.

...and England will lose to Colombia ;)

yunichel fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 25, 2018

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Fagner

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

track day bro! posted:

I'm the larger blue object on the shelf

Lolin at this at work with absolutely no explaination

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Only thing that matters today is Ronald feat. Portugal getting yet another valiant win, moving them closer to the glorious World Cup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sprotto
Jul 16, 2017

• Locked thread