Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel! It's the prequel to the sequel to the first Borderlands! At first blush it seems like it's just more Borderlands 2 (which Panzer and I just finished LPing over here!) but I can give you a quick rundown about this new entry.

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel is a first person shooter set on the shithole planet moon of Pandora -- Elpis! It's overrun by psychos, mad robots, and wildlife Australians that want to kill you. There's some kind of story going on where the CEO a programmer for an evil corporation is trying to awaken a mystical beast to destroy the planet stop the moon from getting blown up by a big space laser, but that's not really that important. Here's what's really different about TPS compared to BL2:

- the playable characters are way better designed!
- ~MOON PHYSICS!~ you can jump real high and you can attack with your butt!
- the playable characters talk to each other! and to NPCs!
- the quest design is? so bad???????????? oh my god??

Much like Borderlands 2, whenever we finish replaying that game for the dozenth time we hop right back into this one for another go. We love these games, and we've wanted to LP them for a while, but every time we tried it just never felt right. For us the comfort in Borderlands was just a way for us to shoot the poo poo while we shoot the poo poo. So we figured the best way to retain this casual approach would be to stream it!

For the past several weeks Panzer and I have been streaming Borderlands: The Pre-Squel on my Twitch channel. If you care to catch us live, we usually play on Sundays at 3PM PST. If you can't be around for them or the streaming thing just isn't your scene, then this thread is for you! Please enjoy this easily paused and rewound format to watch at your own pace. If you wish to experience our Twitch chat along with the video, simply enable Closed Captions on the video! If you don't care for chat, don't sweat-- just leave that sucker off! Panzer and I do our best to explicitly mention if we're speaking to or answering questions from chat so you shouldn't find us saying random things out of context.

Due to the casual stream format, videos will typically be around 25-45 minutes long. Like our Borderlands 2 thread, we're going to start with two uploads a week to build up just a little more of a backlog and then soon after transition to three videos a week. Also, fair warning to the Borderlands purists out there... we cheat our asses off. Where's the fun in the game if we aren't getting sick guns all the time? General commentary/video/audio quality might be a little all over the place as we go on due to me not editing this by hand, but the moment we actually start to care about that stuff is when we lose track of why we like to play Borderlands in the first place. Our playthrough is going to be chill as gently caress, yo.

We don't have a game spoiler policy, but all we ask is if you've seen our streams to not explicitly tell people what we do in future videos!

Panzer will start playing as Nisha; one of the game's base characters. Nisha's action skill is to enter Showdown-- having the game take control of her aim for her as it auto targets all her enemies for several seconds with near perfect accuracy and increased damage. It's a bit of a far cry from her days as Gaige in BL2! As the resident cowgirl, a lot of her abilities are about making her shoot guns gooder. She is also incredibly horney for violence (and Jack).

If you want to learn more about Nisha's skill trees, you can find it here. Panzer usually picks skills from the middle and right trees.

Kaubocks - Today at 4:22 PM
gonna add aurelia to the OP
anything in particular u want me to write

Panzer - Today at 4:24 PM
she kicks rear end

If you want to learn more about Aurelia's skill trees, you can find it here. Panzer usually picks skills from the right tree when we're playing co-op.

I will start playing as Claptrap; another of the game's base characters. Claptrap's action skill is... everything? He has several possible abilities it can randomly choose from, but the most important thing is your co-op partners also get these "buffs" applied whether they want it or not. I am picking Claptrap solely to annoy Panzer. He's also the only character who doesn't need to really engage in this game's oxygen mechanic which honestly is kind of so minor it's barely worth mentioning.

If you want to learn more about Claprap's skill trees, you can find it here. I don't plan on playing as him for very long, but I'll likely stick with the right tree.

I got Claptrap out of my system, so I've switched to Athena! She's another base character, and as we've seen from the intro cutscene she's considered the main character. She's kind of a three entirely separate playstyles? Her action skill is to pull up her shield Aspis, absorbing all damage taken from the front and releasing it in a Captain America-style throw. Her trees focus on self- and team-preservation, melee damage, and elemental damage.

If you want to learn more about Athena's skill trees, you can find it here. My favorite is a mix of the left and right trees, and I hope to show it off in full at some point.

We hit our capstones, so I've switched to my favorite playable Vaunt Hunter -- Jack! (Sorry, Krieg!) The Doppelganger is a DLC character and he's a blast to play. His action skill is to summon even more (digital) Jacks as turrets to attack your enemies, with skill trees to make them more powerful and another to give you buffs when they kill things or they die. His last skill tree is very flavorful, focusing on the brands of guns you use and the money you pick up.

If you want to learn more about Jack's skill trees, you can find it here. I primarily focus on the middle with a sprinkle of the left.

"no" ~ wilhelm

Episode #1: The Only Video with Wilhelm in It
Episode #2: Deadlift Time
Episode #3: Space Sanctuary
Episode #4: Contractually Obligated to Reference Australian Things
Episode #5: Borderlands Austin Powers
Episode #6: Sleepy Sidequests
Episode #7: The Pickle Part
Episode #8: Literal Fart Jokes
Episode #9: One Weird Elevator
Episode #10: Let's Build a Robot Army
Episode #11: Light Buzzass
Episode #12: Helios Assault
Episode #13: Exit Through the Airlock
Episode #14: Veins of Helios
Episode #15: Haunted Blood
Episode #16: Destroyer of the Eye
Episode #17: Combat Fatigue
Episode #18: Let's Do Guns
Episode #19: Tiny Tick's Story Time
Episode #20: What's Pre-Planning?
Episode #21: It's Not a Bug, It's a Feature
Episode #22: Deadly Jump Pads
Episode #23: Reasons We Love Claptrap
Episode #24: Reasons We Don't Love Claptrap
Episode #25: Beginning of the End
Episode #26: Cutie Kitty
Episode #27: The Worst for Last

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dammit, now I need to get off my rear end and actually beat this game. I'm in the home stretch, but I just keep dying.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I beat the main game but I hit a brick wall with the end of claptastic voyage. Maybe I should do true vault hunter mode so I can buff up to a point where it's actually beatable solo.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I started this game inspired by the BL2 LP, then returned it for a refund because it felt like a total chore to play.

Here's looking forward to watching you guys bumble through it!

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I enjoyed the hell out of playing Nisha. In a lot of ways this game is BL2 with a bunch of quality-of-life improvements, and I would love to play through BL2's content with this game's improvements to the formula.

I'm of the opinion this game was strangled in its crib.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

IMJack posted:

I enjoyed the hell out of playing Nisha. In a lot of ways this game is BL2 with a bunch of quality-of-life improvements, and I would love to play through BL2's content with this game's improvements to the formula.

I'm of the opinion this game was strangled in its crib.

Getting your action skill at level 3 instead of having to sit through five levels of just being a gun was a pretty good design decision. That's about the point where as a new player you're starting to feel like you have a handle on the shooting and are ready to take it up a notch. Or in Claptrap's case, up anywhere from +2 to -2 notches. I also like that at least one of everyone's trees has something early for helping your party members. Makes the game feel more team-based compared to BL2's up to four random assholes, any of which may or may not have picked the one deep-tree skill that makes them acknowledge that other players exist.

My first playthrough of Pre-Sequel, I tried using Wilhelm, because he looked interesting. Oh, hey, he's that guy they kept hyping in 2 who actually went down like a sack of puppies. And he's a pet summoner like Gaige, I like pet summoners. He was not fun. I switched to Claptrap and didn't look back until I got to the last boss and kept exploding. Now I'm trying to do Athena, and she's fun, but I'm having trouble staying interested because

Kaubocks posted:

- the quest design is? so bad???????????? oh my god??

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
If you can get UCP up and running, may I also recommend adding the Better Loot mod by Apocalyptech? It should remove most reliance on cheat engine. Also TPS' UCP should have the "Make Vendors Great Again" mod built in which should make checking vendors worthwhile. The only down-side is you could run into red-text unique guns that normally are only dropped as quest rewards (which I personally love!).

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
So uh what happens if you have multiple Claptraps in a party?

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Fedule posted:

:whitewater:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

mastersord posted:

If you can get UCP up and running, may I also recommend adding the Better Loot mod by Apocalyptech? It should remove most reliance on cheat engine. Also TPS' UCP should have the "Make Vendors Great Again" mod built in which should make checking vendors worthwhile. The only down-side is you could run into red-text unique guns that normally are only dropped as quest rewards (which I personally love!).

tbh it's been a few play sessions now and i've been far too lazy to get it set up in the first place, though panzer has complained enough about loot that this may be the kick in the pants that i need to get it going

:getin:

Arban
Aug 28, 2017

Fedule posted:

You get the clap

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Fedule posted:

the actual answer is yes, claptrap's action skill will affect other claptraps. unsure if they can override each other though as i generally don't have friends fun enough to want to play claptrap with me :colbert:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
you stagger the cooldowns so you can be foreverially claptrap's action skill and loving it

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
I wanted to like this game but I find it such a chore that I can't even drag myself to the halfway point of the story.

I finished it once and that was it. I've tried to pick it up again but... ugh. Pickle. The Mayoriff. Lilith. Blegh.

Dr.Smasher fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 19, 2018

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
So if you are trying to play though the game solo because because all your friends have 'stuff' to 'do' that doesn't involve playing 30 hours of video games with you, what character would you recommend?

I started the game as Jack, because in BL2, Axton was my go-to for solo content because of how useful his turret was at drawing enemy fire and getting second-winds for you. However, Jack didn't seem that great solo. His action skill was pretty useful but everything else was unimpressive.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Gothsheep posted:

So if you are trying to play though the game solo because because all your friends have 'stuff' to 'do' that doesn't involve playing 30 hours of video games with you, what character would you recommend?

I started the game as Jack, because in BL2, Axton was my go-to for solo content because of how useful his turret was at drawing enemy fire and getting second-winds for you. However, Jack didn't seem that great solo. His action skill was pretty useful but everything else was unimpressive.

without getting into too many details about the characters because we plan to show off what most are capable of, here's my quick opinion for solo play:

claptrap: bad. like he's a good character and all but way more fun in multiplayer

aurelia: has a tree dedicated to multiplayer. sniper, so could be hard to do if you don't have someone else running distraction on enemies.

wilhelm: just kinda boring

jack: VERY potent character but doesn't truly shine until you get a certain capstone skill (i will show this off in stream for sure)

nisha: busted. she doesn't have the most "wow" factor to her but she is the salvador of this game in the sense that she just craps out damage. don't need backup when you auto target all your enemies and kill them instantly

athena: very good for solo play. very tanky. action skill lets her absorb all frontal damage entirely free and the cooldown is fairly short.

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 20, 2018

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Gothsheep posted:

I mean I played the entire game (just beat it yesterday) as DoppelJack and did perfectly fine. His action skill is, like Axton's, a solid, reliable way to get free Second Wind, which really helps in solo. I'll leave skill tree analysis up to the professionals, but I invested heavily in Hero of the Story, switching to Free Enterprise when I got the capstone.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Why does Jack even have a body double right now? The obvious answer is "so you can play as Jack," but he's a low-level Hyperion programmer, not the megalomaniacal CEO or whatever position he actually holds in BL2.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

He seems to be in charge of Helios though? He definitely "answers" to Tassiter at this point, but the day-to-day execution of Hyperion's interests on Elpis and Pandora seem to be in his job description.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Dareon posted:

Why does Jack even have a body double right now? The obvious answer is "so you can play as Jack," but he's a low-level Hyperion programmer, not the megalomaniacal CEO or whatever position he actually holds in BL2.

That exact question gets asked by a very early NPC in the game I ran into while playing. I'd quote it here, but I don't know if Kaubocks will appreciate the potential spoiler, even though I doubt he'll be playing NotJack at that point. Maybe that conversation can happen at any point in the game?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
He's a "low level programmer" in the computer science sense, programming languages that are very close to direct processor instructions, and not in the sense that he's junior in Hyperion. Still doesn't explain why he has enough resources to get a body double or do any of the other over-the-top poo poo he does. But this setting gives some very stupid people the means to do whatever the hell they want just because it's silly. See Mister Torgue.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
I know I really shouldn't expect things like "internal logic" from this game, but...

Why exactly does Claptrap have a walk-bob? Shouldn't he, specifically, not have that due to the wheel?

e: ah, I see you address this, nm. In the only way such questions should ever be addressed, if we're being honest.

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Dec 20, 2018

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

resurgam40 posted:

I know I really shouldn't expect things like "internal logic" from this game, but...

Why exactly does Claptrap have a walk-bob? Shouldn't he, specifically, not have that due to the wheel?

e: ah, I see you address this, nm. In the only way such questions should ever be addressed, if we're being honest.

Terrible suspension. Possibly he tried to alter himself to do the pimp-car thing, but just hosed it up - as he does most things.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Gothsheep posted:

That exact question gets asked by a very early NPC in the game I ran into while playing. I'd quote it here, but I don't know if Kaubocks will appreciate the potential spoiler, even though I doubt he'll be playing NotJack at that point. Maybe that conversation can happen at any point in the game?

i probably won’t play as jack until later, when i have access to a capstone skill, as that’s when i enjoy playing jack the most. i don’t really mind story spoilers though since the main reason panzer and i are playing the game is just to bullshit around

as far as i’m aware it’s never really explicitly why jack has a doppelgänger? like it’s explained why timothy lawrence agreed to become a body double but afaik you’re just left to assume that jack is absolutely full of himself and believes he needs one in the first place. i very well could be wrong of course, it’s been a while since i actively paid attention to the story in the game, haha

someone earlier in the thread mentions “low level programmer” doesn’t necessarily mean what you’d expect. on top of this once we get to helios you’ll see that jack has a MASSIVE office. at the very least he definitely has the resources to get the whole thing done

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

the great thing about the pre-sequel is it pretty quickly shows you all the fun new mechanics you have available to you now that the game is set on the moon

Episode #2: Deadlift Time

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The moon is basically Aquatic Ruin Zone, OK.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

as far as i’m aware it’s never really explicitly why jack has a doppelgänger? like it’s explained why timothy lawrence agreed to become a body double but afaik you’re just left to assume that jack is absolutely full of himself and believes he needs one in the first place. i very well could be wrong of course, it’s been a while since i actively paid attention to the story in the game, haha

Pretty much. I believe the exact conversation goes like this:

"Why would a low-level flunky in Hyperion need a body double?"

"Because he's got big dreams, and I've got big student loan debt."

Basically the implication I got was that Jack was already planning his takeover and was getting a body double in place well beforehand because that's the sort of thing you want to have done before you need it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I don't really like most lasers either, but I've used a couple of Hyperion lasers in my playthrough.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
"Australians don't get to make computer games very often" is right - especially since the global financial crisis, when the games industry here basically completely collapsed. There's really only scattered indie studios now.

(Incidentally some guys I used to work with worked on this game.)

Anyway, I played the Pre-Sequel once when it came out and haven't been back to it yet. Kaubocks and Panzer's recent LP of BL2 made me feel like maybe giving it another go sometime soon, though. (I already re-played BL2 itself earlier this year, if you're wondering.)

I remember very little about it, except for the bad fake Australian accents* and the game not being as fun as the previous BL games, in the end. I don't even remember what character I played as. Maybe once I see them in the LP I'll have my memory jogged.

*I seem to remember hearing that the reason for the Australian accents is that 2K Australia people did some placeholder dialogue during development, and people in the US 2K studio/s thought it was funny, so they decided to make it a thing in the final game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
FYI, the handsome collection (BL2 + TPS + all the dlc to both, cosmetics included) is on sale on Steam for $15

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Pulled the trigger on the 40+ DLCs I didn't have + Pre-Sequel last night.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

Antistar01 posted:

"Australians don't get to make computer games very often" is right - especially since the global financial crisis, when the games industry here basically completely collapsed. There's really only scattered indie studios now.

(Incidentally some guys I used to work with worked on this game.)

Anyway, I played the Pre-Sequel once when it came out and haven't been back to it yet. Kaubocks and Panzer's recent LP of BL2 made me feel like maybe giving it another go sometime soon, though. (I already re-played BL2 itself earlier this year, if you're wondering.)

I remember very little about it, except for the bad fake Australian accents* and the game not being as fun as the previous BL games, in the end. I don't even remember what character I played as. Maybe once I see them in the LP I'll have my memory jogged.

*I seem to remember hearing that the reason for the Australian accents is that 2K Australia people did some placeholder dialogue during development, and people in the US 2K studio/s thought it was funny, so they decided to make it a thing in the final game.

I had a similar experience with the Pre-Sequel, though I don't think I even finished. I had put something like 200 hours into BL2 and was getting burned out. It'll be fun to see what I missed!

(by the way... are you the modder Antistar? I've admired your work since WMX for New Vegas; Clockwork is one of my favorite game mods ever. Do you still mod?)

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I respect Deadlift for one reason only: The man lives in a bouncy castle.

Rinkles posted:

FYI, the handsome collection (BL2 + TPS + all the dlc to both, cosmetics included) is on sale on Steam for $15

Holy christ, and I was kind of kicking myself for passing over an Xbox sale where the BL2 season pass alone was down to 25 bucks.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

EggsAisle posted:

I had a similar experience with the Pre-Sequel, though I don't think I even finished. I had put something like 200 hours into BL2 and was getting burned out. It'll be fun to see what I missed!

(by the way... are you the modder Antistar? I've admired your work since WMX for New Vegas; Clockwork is one of my favorite game mods ever. Do you still mod?)

Yep, that's me - thanks. :)

I'm still going, yeah. Currently working on mods for Fallout 4; primarily WARS. (I was debating posting a link because it might be rude since this thread isn't about me, but then not posting a link might be rude since not posting a link is rude - so there you go.)

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

people should absolutely post cool things they’ve worked/are working on in this thread because lord knows panzer and i are only gonna post trash

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Kaubocks posted:

people should absolutely post cool things they’ve worked/are working on in this thread because lord knows panzer and i are only gonna post trash

-Kaubocks 2018.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I see you have a lucrative career in tabloid journalism ahead of you.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Hello Finespark(s) :wave:

It's been absolute ages since I played the original and its sequel with a couple of friends at a LAN party, but I'll definitely be following along as we never got around to the Presequel.

Also, the fact that Nisha is horny is somehow thematically appropriate since the game has been speedrun at SGDQ and the SGDQ thread that year was pretty drat horny.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i almost forgot to post this episode because it's christmas! then panzer yelled at me to post it before i go over to her place before christmas!! i dunno who's gonna watch this today because it's christmas!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Episode #3: Space Sanctuary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I watched it.

It was the best Christmas gift ever.