Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Post your nominations, OP will be updated regularly for the 2019 awards.

Digital Jedi has put together a fantastic Google Doc to help with the voting at the end of the year.

Digital Jedi posted:

I have been working on a project for this thread.

At the end of the year when we vote for each category everyone has a hard time between choosing what is available. Mainly cause so much poo poo happens it is hard remember every little thing.

I created a google sheet containing in category and every submission from this thread. I'm aiming to have videos (Full fights, full rounds, or highlights) of everything possible. I believe this will help so much at the end of the year that you can rewatch everything!

Here is the sheet. Comments are enabled. If anyone has any suggesting to improve it I am open to anything. Currently I have tabs for each category but I do plan on making one master tab with everything broken down.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a8ihHqq4WFd-tvw09zgtWoJczKO-qbQ2LPQPhO-WODc/edit?usp=sharing

I still have a few more things to add to it but I'm trying to keep it updated as best as I can.

Fight of the Year
Vicente Luque vs Bryan Barberena, UFC on ESPN 1
Gastelum vs Adesanya, UFC 236
Henry Cejudo vs. Marlon Moraes - UFC 238
Deiveson Figueiredo vs Alex Pantoja, UFC 240
Hiromasa Ogikubo vs Yuki Motoya, RIZIN 17
Brandon Moreno vs Kai Kara-France, UFC 245
Kamaru Usman vs Colby Covington, UFC 245

Knockout of the Year
Bellator 214: Corrales KOs Pico - https://streamable.com/qko6t
Johnny Walker KOs Misha Cirkunov @ UFC 235
Darren Till vs. Jorge Masvidal - UFC Fight Night: London
Pettis' Superman Punch KO over Wonderboy - UFC Fight Night: Nashville
Raymond Daniels vs Wilker Barros, Punch - Bellator Birmingham
Valentina Shevchenko vs Jessica Eye - UFC 238
Song Yadong vs Alejandro Perez - UFC 239
Jan Blachowicz vs Luke Rockhol - UFC 239
Jorge Masvidal vs. Ben Askren - UFC 239
Niko Price vs James Vick - UFC Fight Night: Joanna vs Waterson
Kevin Lee vs Gregor Gillespie - UFC 244

Submission of the Year
Brent Primus vs Tim Wilde, Gogoplata, Bellator Birmingham
Bryce Mitchell, twister vs Matt Sayles, UFC on ESPN: Overeem vs Rozenstruik

Performance of the year
Charles Oliviera (vs David Teymur) at UFC Fight Night: Assunção vs. Moraes 2. Coming back from the two nasty eye pokes to get a rad tekken + anaconda choke finish loving owned.

2019's Fights Where We, The Viewer are the Winner (Honorable Mention Fights of the Year)
Luque vs Barberena, UFC on ESPN 1
Kamaru Usman slaughtering Tyron Woodley for 5 rounds @ UFC 235, giving a curse-laden victory speech while holding his toddler daughter, then asking for people to give props to Woodley, who give him the silence he deserved
Kelvin vs Adesanya @ UFC 236
Holloway vs Poirier @ UFC 236
Usman v Covington @ UFC 245 (for the finish)

Round of the Year
Thiago Alves vs. Max Griffin, Round 2, 2/2 at UFC Fight Night: Assunção vs. Moraes 2
Teruto Ishihara vs Kung ho Kang Rd1 at UFC 234
Luque vs Barberena, R1, R3, UFC on ESPN 1
Pedro vs Garbrandt Rd1 @ UFC 235
Lawler vs Askren Rd1 @ UFC 235
Gastelum vs Adesanya, Rd 5 @ UFC 236
Jamie Mullarkey vs. Brad Riddell Round 3 @ UFC 243

Upset of the Year
Cejudo completely dominating and quickly destroying Dillashaw at UFC Fight Night 143

Comeback of the Year

Event of the Year
UFC 236
Bellator 225 (14 fights, 14 finishes, a ton in the 1st round)
UFC Fight Night: Joanna vs Waterson
UFC 244: Masvidal vs Diaz
UFC 245

Worst Event of the Year
Bellator London/Bellator 223 (joint event) - Crappy stream coupled with horribly complicated way to get to said stream
UFC Fight Night: Edwards vs dos Anjos
UFC 240

Worst Fight of the Year
Derek Brunson vs. Elias Theodorou - UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 9
Darrion Caldwell vs Kyoji Horiguchi - Bellator 222

The Gilbert Yvel Award for Foul of the Year
Greg Hardy's illegal knee to Crowder
Matt Mitrione with a fight ending groin kick fifteen seconds into the fight, vs Sergei Kharitonov Bellator 215
Greg Hardy @ UFC Fight Night: Reyes vs Weidman, asked to use an inhaler between rounds and then used it without waiting for actual response from the commissioner (UFC's Marc Ratner was then on broadcast saying that's 100% illegal)- https://streamable.com/bm7t8
Jake Hager kneeing a dude in the nuts @ Bellator 231

The Big Dan/Lil Kim Award for Refereeing Incompetence
Herb Dean calls an extremely awake Robbie Lawler unconscious vs Ben Askren @ UFC 235
Jason Herzog not stopping Khalil Rountree vs Eryk Anders after 4 knockdowns in a single round @ UFC 236
Andrew Glenn (UFC Fight Night Joanna vs. Waterson - Mike Davis vs Thomas Gifford) for not stopping the fight on like 5 valid occasions, letting Gifford take approximately 100 significant strikes that he didn't need to take.
UFC on ESPN 7: Dan Miragliotta quietly telling Stefan Struve he was winning the fight to convince him to get back up after a second kick to the dick, at which point Ben Rothwell obliterated Struve.

The Cecil Peoples Award for Bad Judging
2 judges give r3 to Blagoi Ivanov, UFC Wichita
Judges in Cody Stamann vs. Song Yadong, UFC Fight Night DC

The Edmund Tarverdyan Catchall Coaching, Cornering, and Gameplanning Incompetence Award
Thomas Gifford's Dad & coach vs Mike Davis at UFC Fight Night Joanna vs. Watterson for failing to stop the fight between rounds, sending Gifford out for a second and then a third so that he could visit Brendan Schaub in the land of wind and ghosts.

Edmund Tarvedyan's Head Movement Award for Best Schadenfreude
TJ Dillashaw saying he's going to destroy Cejudo and shut down the Flyweight division, then losing to Cejudo in 11 seconds.
Fedor losing to Bader at Bellator 214 in just 35 seconds
Cowboy teaching Hernandez to hespec his elders.
Covington losing to Usman via TKO after months/years of MAGA style poo poo talk

The Joe Silva Baby Come Back Award for Questionable Booking

Joe Silva Brainfart Award for Worst Booking Decision

The Jon Jones Award for Self Destruction(Worst Career Move)
TJ Dillashaw testing positive for EPO in not one but two fights, losing his title

The Kimbo vs DADA 5000 Memorial Award for Comedy in MMA
UFC's new Championship Belt Design
Cejudo KO'ng Dillashaw, ruining Dana's dream to kill the Flyweights
Marlon Moraes - "I had diarrhea all week long man." in a post-fight interview
Johnny Walker injuring his arm in his UFC 235 celebration
Kyle Stewart's "USMC" back tattoo
Matt Mitrione loses his lovely mouthpiece 4 times in rounds 1 and 2, at Bellator 225, then gets knocked out while mouthpiece is out

The Touch Butt In the Park Award for Best Insult/Trash Talk Line
Angela Hill making GBS threads on Greg Hardy vs Ben Sosoli
Israel Adesanya mocking Jones' Hit & Run following his win at UFC 243

Jeff Monson's gently caress For Free Worst MMA Hype

Additionally, the following awards should be considered as they are categories in our year end awards voting:

Fighter of the Year
Favorite Fighter
Breakout Fighter of the Year
Most Improved
Best Division
Most Overhyped/Underperformed
Best Social Media Presence

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Dec 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878561&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Worst idea/thing/anything -

The new UFC belt.

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

Max Holloway

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Foul of the Year

https://streamable.com/a3ep1

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Schadenfreude Cejudo vs Dillashaw

mewse
May 2, 2006

Digital Jedi posted:

Foul of the Year

https://streamable.com/a3ep1

Nice

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lloyd Boner posted:

Schadenfreude Cejudo vs Dillashaw

Put that under comedy though maybe it's a contender for Most Overhyped/Underperformed too.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

woozy pawsies posted:

Max Holloway

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Upset of the Year: Cejudo completely dominating and quickly destroying Dillashaw at UFC Fight Night 143

The Kimbo vs DADA 5000 Memorial Award for Comedy in MMA: Cejudo completely dominating and quickly destroying Dillashaw at UFC Fight Night 143

Most Overhyped/Underperformed: Will see how the rest of his year goes, but for now I'm more than happy to put down Dillashaw as my frontrunner for this role after watching Cejudo completely dominate and quickly destroy Dillashaw at UFC Fight Night 143

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
KO of The Year

Bellator 214: Corrales KOs Pico
https://streamable.com/qko6t

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Schadenfreude: fedor gets smoked by bader in 35 seconds

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Nominating "Fedor getting embarrassed again" for just Schadenfreude because I don't think nominating it for everything would be accepted

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Didn't realize there was no listed Schadenfreude category so finally added it and put the nominations in.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nominating...

Performance of the Year - Charles Oliviera (vs David Teymur) @Fight Night Assuncao vs Moraes. Coming back from the two nasty eye pokes to get a rad tekken + anaconda choke finish loving owned.

Probably not sub of the year or fight of the year or anything, but as a whole :discourse:

e. also nominating
Best Post-Fight Interview - Marlon Moraes - "I had diarrhea all week long man."

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 3, 2019

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

You know what, after thinking about it a bit I'm going to nominate

Breakout Fighter of the Year
Johnny Walker

If he turns out to be a bust, don't vote for him. It's just easier to vote later when we have nominations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Round of the Year - Thiago Alves vs. Max Griffin, Round 2, 2/2

Keith Mars
Nov 28, 2007
Former Sheriff of Balboa County

CommonShore posted:

e. also nominating
Best Post-Fight Interview - Marlon Moraes - "I had diarrhea all week long man."

Same but for the end of the interview:

"I may have to let [TJ] go down and hunt for the little boys"

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Feel Good/Schadenfreude fight gotta be Cowboy teaching Hernandez to hespec his elders.

and prob Aldo should be a contender for ko

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

UFC 234 Round of the Year - Teruto Ishihara vs Kung ho Kang Rd1

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Fight of the Year - Matt Mitrione vs Sergei Kharitonov, Bellator 215

Foul of the Year - Matt Mitrione with a fight ending groin kick fifteen seconds into the fight, vs Sergei Kharitonov Bellator 215

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Actual Fight of the Year - Vicente Luque vs Bryan Barberena, UFC on ESPN 1

Round of the Year - Luque vs Barberena, R1, R3

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Yes.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
CAIN

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Comeback of the Year
Cain Valesquez.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Fighter of the Year - the one knee that didn't give out on Cain last night

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.
Overhyped/underperformed
Cain Velasquez

2019's Fights Where We, The Viewer are the Winner (Honorable Mention Fights of the Year)
Luque vs Barbarena

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Question - what's the difference between "Fight of the Year" and "Honourable Mention Fight of the Year"? Is it good fight vs comedy fight?

If so let's throw Mitrione vs Kharitonov into Honourable Mention FOTY.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Im not 100% sure how others use it, but I tend to consider Honorable Mention FOTY to be for wild brawls that are entertaining, but dont have a ton of technique, while stuff like Yair vs TKZ or Whittaker v Romero 2 are more straightforward FOTYC

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Or if it’s a card that’s just crazy good like 189 and there are multiple fights that would be fight of the night on any other night, but are outshined by one standout.

Like just something worth a watch or rewatch after if you’re itching for a good fight.

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

LobsterMobster posted:

Im not 100% sure how others use it, but I tend to consider Honorable Mention FOTY to be for wild brawls that are entertaining, but dont have a ton of technique, while stuff like Yair vs TKZ or Whittaker v Romero 2 are more straightforward FOTYC

That's basically how I think. You can't say barberena was throwing punches with good defence but it was a real fun fight.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

comeback of the year:
Diego Sanchez vs. CTE

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Johnny Walker

KO, Breakout, Post-Fight

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Lloyd Boner posted:

Johnny Walker

KO, Breakout, Post-Fight

Also, Comedy in MMA for injuring himself by attempting to do the worm after kneeing a man's skull to the moon

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Ref incompetence: Herb Dean calls an extremely awake Robbie Lawler unconscious vs Ben Askren

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Like move of the year? Robbie Lawler death valley driver on Ben Askren

mewse
May 2, 2006

LobsterMobster posted:

Ref incompetence: Herb Dean calls an extremely awake Robbie Lawler unconscious vs Ben Askren

2nded

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I'm not sure what category it belongs in but this combination deserves something:

Kamaru Usman slaughtering Tyron Woodley for 5 rounds, giving a curse-laden victory speech while holding his daughter, then asking for people to give props to Woodley, who give him the silence he deserved

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I'm not sure what category it belongs in but this combination deserves something:

Kamaru Usman slaughtering Tyron Woodley for 5 rounds, giving a curse-laden victory speech while holding his daughter, then asking for people to give props to Woodley, who give him the silence he deserved

The award where we the fans are the winners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Byolante posted:

The award where we the fans are the winners

Yeah, that sounds about right.