Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
My daughter bet me I can't go vegetarian (as she is) for a month. I want to try it out for her, also because I'm a fat gently caress. The rules we agreed one are eggs, cheese, etc are cool. So is broth/bouillion. Fish no more than once a week. I guess I am looking at a month of bean burritos and scrambled eggs. Any of you veggiegoons have any tips here?

Anyone wanna join up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

The Dregs posted:

My daughter bet me I can't go vegetarian (as she is) for a month. I want to try it out for her, also because I'm a fat gently caress. The rules we agreed one are eggs, cheese, etc are cool. So is broth/bouillion. Fish no more than once a week. I guess I am looking at a month of bean burritos and scrambled eggs. Any of you veggiegoons have any tips here?

Anyone wanna join up?

That's pescatarianism, op

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Are you still allowed to eat rear end OP?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

A month is definitely manageable. Things like samosas, falafel, mashed potatoes (hell cheesy scalloped potatoes!!) are all fair game. Just remember to get in on some good ethnic foods!

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Are you still allowed to eat rear end OP?

Only if there's corn in it

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Oatmeal with a shitload of peanut butter, or spaghetti with just meatless marinara sauce and olive oil, drink nothing but coffee and water. Occasionally stand in front of your fridge and drink V8 straight out of the bottle.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Get soy "sausage", it's really good because it has all the same seasonings as real sausage.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Your average grocery store is loaded with vegetarian options now that have a similar texture to the real deal anyway. If you dont wanna go that route e.g. you dont like processed foods, you can find a lot of good options through middle east, indian and thai cooking.

ROLEX VISION
Oct 3, 2014

dreams money can buy
I've been vegan for 5 years FYI.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
make chana masala op

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
It's gonna suck until your body adapts to a changed diet. Which takes more than a month.

Beans and other legumes (e.g., chickpeas) are great. Use eggs, cheese and the like to provide umami or you'll be hungry. Become a proper soyboy, because soy is also umami (but also heavy on salt, so moderation is good). Avoid replacing meat with (white) bread or eating vegetarian is only going to make you fatter. Salads are great, but don't just use leaves. Use roots and legumes as well.

If you really miss meat (and you will), there are really great meat replacement products nowadays. It's not cheaper than meat and unlikely to be significantly healthier as they are full of salt and palm oil. Vegetarian hamburgers are virtually indistinguishable from meat ones. You can make stews using vegetarian mince no problem, or use legumes or roots as a substitute.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Eat a ton of pasta, bread and cheese and when you gain weight go “see? Vegetarianism isn’t actually good for you”

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

OP that's being pescetarian, not vegetarian.

I've been a vegetarian for almost two decades. A month is easy. Tell us the kind of stuff you eat normally and we can vegitize it.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'm not a vegetarian but being able to make dinner from a can of chickpeas when there's no meat in the fridge is a valuable life skill

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

OP that's being pescetarian, not vegetarian.

I've been a vegetarian for almost two decades. A month is easy. Tell us the kind of stuff you eat normally and we can vegitize it.

I don't really care about the nomenclature. Fish once per week is vegetarian enough as far as I am concerned.

As for as what we eat, well, we usually cook every dinner lots of Mexican (I am Mexican), curry, normal stuff like chicken with a starch and a veggie, etc. Breakfast is usually leftover with eggs or ramen or something. Lunch is often fast food or Chinese. Way too much snacking. I usually prefer to eat less processed food. I'd rather eat beans and rice than a fake meat, is what I am trying to say. Of course that may change in a week or two.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I’m vegan

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
eggs are a grain

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Make dishes that are naturally vegetarian rather than trying to use meat substitutes because meat substitutes almost all completely and utterly suck.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Resting Lich Face posted:

Make dishes that are naturally vegetarian rather than trying to use meat substitutes because meat substitutes almost all completely and utterly suck.

I have tried my daughter's veggie burgers and they're actually OK. All the other stuff I tired has been nasty.

why the ____ ____
Feb 22, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
rice, beans, salsa, veggies and salads. Pretty dang easy

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

They can be all right when it's not, like, mashed cauliflower pressed into a burger shape or some awful garbage.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Literally hundreds of vegetables, fruits, grains, legumes, spices, hundreds of thousands of good combinations

Meat eaters: there’s nothing to eat!!! Where’s the meat!!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

The Dregs posted:

I don't really care about the nomenclature. Fish once per week is vegetarian enough as far as I am concerned.

As for as what we eat, well, we usually cook every dinner lots of Mexican (I am Mexican), curry, normal stuff like chicken with a starch and a veggie, etc. Breakfast is usually leftover with eggs or ramen or something. Lunch is often fast food or Chinese. Way too much snacking. I usually prefer to eat less processed food. I'd rather eat beans and rice than a fake meat, is what I am trying to say. Of course that may change in a week or two.
Whoa if you already eat spicy food this is going to be easy, just replace the chicken and such with beans and rice, dairy, savory veggies (tomatoes,squash,etc), mushrooms, and/or eggs.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
i've heard vegan cum tastes weird, let us know what it's like op

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Stuff that is a substitute for the texture but not taste can be cool. I like jackfruit as a substitute for pulled meat. Tastes different, sure, but it's nice for veggie nachos and such.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
French fries and oreos, OP

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Make some potato massamun.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Eat pizza. Cheese pizza.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

You'll be burgin' hard before the first week is over OP but don't give in.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Uhhjhh

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"
lol fish isn’t a vegetable u fuccken dumbass op u idiot

just eat chips (fries if ur a filthy yank) and bread, no meat there

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

gbs but from 2004 posted:

lol fish isn’t a vegetable u fuccken dumbass op u idiot

just eat chips (fries if ur a filthy yank) and bread, no meat there

Motherfucker I will eat fried fish on Friday as if I were a devout catholic and I will call my self a vegetarian for a month and that is that

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i'm not sure what your goals are exactly, but if you're just going to substitute lots of eggs and cheese instead of meat at every meal, you're not going to get any health/weight benefit. and unless you're buying cage free eggs and milk from free range cows you're still supporting lovely factory farms. but if you're just trying to win a bet for the sake of owning your daughter, that's cool, stop reading here.

if you are looking to lose weight or drop your blood pressure/cholesterol or even just want to be slightly kinder to livestock, replace meat/eggs/dairy with plant-based foods as much as you can, and try to eat actual whole fruits and veggies as much as possible instead of processed alternatives. any amount of change you can make in this direction helps, you don't have to go all-in.

if you want some meal/dish ideas that are not hard: roast some vegetables in the oven or on a grill with a little bit of oil, salt, and pepper. make some salads that are more than just iceberg lettuce and shredded carrots -- get yourself a fancy bottle of balsamic vinegar and some herb infused olive oil. marinate some tofu in soy sauce with some garlic & lime, then stir fry it up with veggies and serve over noodles or rice. Bake some eggplant lasagna -- you can even try some fake cheese (i'm not a huge fan, but a lot of people like it). or even simpler, just buy some whole wheat spaghetti noodles and meat-free sauce -- heat up some "meatless meatballs" from the frozen foods isle if you want. look up recipes for homemade black bean burgers -- you can bake them in the oven and it's super easy if you have a food processor or if you don't mind dicing veggies and mashing up a few cans of beans in a bowl. making guacamole or avocado toast is also super easy, and you'll earn your millennial wings. throw a bunch of kale/spinach, pitless dates, random frozen fruits, soy milk, and some plant-based protein powder in a blender with some ice cubes and drink your dinner. got a pressure cooker? you can make a huge batch of chili in about 30 min with a few diced veggies, some canned beans and tomatoes/paste, and cumin, chili powder, and whatever other spices you like.

for snacks, pop some popcorn with coconut oil and flavacol (or just eat it plain). dry roasted edamame (soy beans) are one of my favorite snacks these days. also hummus as a dip, or mixed in any kind of pita wrap with veggies is great as well.

hope this gives you some ideas to try. or just spend ~$14/day on 2x chipotle veggie bowls every day for 4 weeks.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

OH that's a good idea.

Also I went to a Korean place lately and they had this little potato dish where it tasted like they were boiled in sweet soy sauce or similar. It was delicious and I think I'll make it.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Veggie hotdogs are dogshit op, just an fyi

My daughter is a vegetarian and I’ve tried at least 10 brands of veggie dogs and they’re all poo poo

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

Veggie hotdogs are dogshit op, just an fyi

My daughter is a vegetarian and I’ve tried at least 10 brands of veggie dogs and they’re all poo poo

Just not the same if a tortured animals anus isn’t grounded into a paste and shoved in a tube

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Do it ironically posted:

Just not the same if a tortured animals anus isn’t grounded into a paste and shoved in a tube

Truly

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Bad Purchase posted:

i'm not sure what your goals are exactly, but if you're just going to substitute lots of eggs and cheese instead of meat at every meal, you're not going to get any health/weight benefit. and unless you're buying cage free eggs and milk from free range cows you're still supporting lovely factory farms. but if you're just trying to win a bet for the sake of owning your daughter, that's cool, stop reading here.

if you are looking to lose weight or drop your blood pressure/cholesterol or even just want to be slightly kinder to livestock, replace meat/eggs/dairy with plant-based foods as much as you can, and try to eat actual whole fruits and veggies as much as possible instead of processed alternatives. any amount of change you can make in this direction helps, you don't have to go all-in.

if you want some meal/dish ideas that are not hard: roast some vegetables in the oven or on a grill with a little bit of oil, salt, and pepper. make some salads that are more than just iceberg lettuce and shredded carrots -- get yourself a fancy bottle of balsamic vinegar and some herb infused olive oil. marinate some tofu in soy sauce with some garlic & lime, then stir fry it up with veggies and serve over noodles or rice. Bake some eggplant lasagna -- you can even try some fake cheese (i'm not a huge fan, but a lot of people like it). or even simpler, just buy some whole wheat spaghetti noodles and meat-free sauce -- heat up some "meatless meatballs" from the frozen foods isle if you want. look up recipes for homemade black bean burgers -- you can bake them in the oven and it's super easy if you have a food processor or if you don't mind dicing veggies and mashing up a few cans of beans in a bowl. making guacamole or avocado toast is also super easy, and you'll earn your millennial wings. throw a bunch of kale/spinach, pitless dates, random frozen fruits, soy milk, and some plant-based protein powder in a blender with some ice cubes and drink your dinner. got a pressure cooker? you can make a huge batch of chili in about 30 min with a few diced veggies, some canned beans and tomatoes/paste, and cumin, chili powder, and whatever other spices you like.

for snacks, pop some popcorn with coconut oil and flavacol (or just eat it plain). dry roasted edamame (soy beans) are one of my favorite snacks these days. also hummus as a dip, or mixed in any kind of pita wrap with veggies is great as well.

hope this gives you some ideas to try. or just spend ~$14/day on 2x chipotle veggie bowls every day for 4 weeks.
I am not trying to own my daughter. I think her bet was her way of trying to manipulate me into eating better without hurting my feelings. I appreciate her effort and I'd like to try it for her.

Thanks for all the pointers everyone. I am taking note and I will use a lot of them. I thought this thread was going to be mostly people telling me to go gay and eat cum.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

also don't forget to be gay and eat cum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

The best way to go vegetarian is with spices op! Go for curries.

Meaty non-meats like root vegetables and tofu. Don't underestimate tofu.

Fish day? Make some nice fried cajun catfish or etouffee.

Do you live near an Ethiopian restaurant?