Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Spaceball City showed up in Attack of the Clones, but the new Star Wars movies are full of nods and references to Mel Brooks’ sci-fi classic. In a just world, we would already have Spaceballs 3: The Search For Spaceballs 2: The Search For More Money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
When President Scrooge and Dark Helmet are chanting "suck! suck! suck!" JJ Abrams got the inspiration to make Episode 9 loving suck.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clr4klhLl4k

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/JgvNlIv.mp4

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 26, 2020

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
My family refuses to watch Spaceballs with me, which I find personally offensive. Oh well. They probably wouldn't laugh at the right parts anyway.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Spaceballs does not hold up well at all now that I'm not 13.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I saw Spaceballs at 17 and even then I realized I had missed my chance.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

ItBreathes posted:

I feel the same way about Heavy Mattel. 13 year old me would have loved it. But I saw it too late.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Well poo poo. There goes the planet.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

:eyepop:

Kazimir Vysehrad
Mar 13, 2013
There is an animated series that were broadcast roughly at the same time as The Clone Wars TV series were commencing.

I watch it a few years ago, (2013 perhaps?) and thought it was funny, it was on netflix at the time, dunno if its still available.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaceballs:_The_Animated_Series

"Similarly to how the original film parodied the original Star Wars films and the Star Trek universe, each episode of the series parodies a different film or other aspect of popular culture, such as the Star Wars prequel trilogy, The Lord of the Rings, or the Grand Theft Auto video games."

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

A bunch of us just rewatched it a few weeks back and laughed our asses off.

Of course we also laugh at fart jokes because lol at the idea that your humor has an age limit.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

pretty much all mel brooks movies are iffy as a whole but contain a bunch of good and memorable jokes nonetheless. I def enjoyed them more as a 13 year old but watching them now it's like watching a kinda bad movie that still makes me laugh a lot.

they're good movies to like, half pay attention to while you work on a house or kitchen project, or something

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

the joke from spaceballs that comes up most often in my mind is "Godwilling we'll all see each other in Spaceballs 2: The Search for More Money" which i think hasprobably stuck in George Lucas's mind and Disney's mind too from the looks of it

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Sometimes I wonder if modern blockbuster movies are almost designed to be resistant to satire, like they're already poking fun at themselves enough as to make a satire not worth doing.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Sometimes I wonder if modern blockbuster movies are almost designed to be resistant to satire, like they're already poking fun at themselves enough as to make a satire not worth doing.

marvel films specifically, sure, they're deeply irony poisoned.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

alnilam posted:

the joke from spaceballs that comes up most often in my mind is "Godwilling we'll all see each other in Spaceballs 2: The Search for More Money" which i think hasprobably stuck in George Lucas's mind and Disney's mind too from the looks of it

I always remember "gently caress! Even in the future nothing works!" because it's both true and the best use of the one allowed "gently caress" in a PG-13 film I've ever seen.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Awesome OP and awesome movie.

:five:

egon_beeblebrox posted:

:wrong:

ItBreathes posted:

alnilam posted:

pretty much all mel brooks movies are iffy as a whole but contain a bunch of good and memorable jokes nonetheless. I def enjoyed them more as a 13 year old but watching them now it's like watching a kinda bad movie that still makes me laugh a lot.

they're good movies to like, half pay attention to while you work on a house or kitchen project, or something

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

This played at a second run theater last winter and me and my buddy went to see it. Holy poo poo there's so much more going on in the backgrounds of that movie, I had no idea, and I've seen it a million times! Anyway it was epic and if you ever get a chance to see it on the big screen, definitely do it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Thanks thread for reminding me i'm gonna watch it right now.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Just finished. It's still as funny as ever. That self destruct scene is just primo.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
The Merchandising scene was a brilliant joke when the movie came out.

At the current point in time it might be one of the most cynically hilarious moments in contemporary cinema.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Dark Helmet, Col. Sandurz and President Skroob spend a small portion of the climax chanting "Suck! Suck! Suck!". Every Star Wars movie that came after that curbed influence from this scene by absolutely sucking.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

ruddiger posted:

Spaceball City showed up in Attack of the Clones, but the new Star Wars movies are full of nods and references to Mel Brooks’ sci-fi classic. In a just world, we would already have Spaceballs 3: The Search For Spaceballs 2: The Search For More Money.

Huge goatse vibes from this one

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Gulping Again posted:

The Merchandising scene was a brilliant joke when the movie came out.

At the current point in time it might be one of the most cynically hilarious moments in contemporary cinema.

Now? RotJ was literally a toy commercial.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
ruddiger is doing the lord's work.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 28, 2020

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Spaceballs is good. Mel Brooks is good. If you never laugh once at Spaceballs you are a legit bad person.

Kazimir Vysehrad
Mar 13, 2013

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

A bunch of Mogs showed up terrorizing some village in the third fourth episode of the Mandalorian.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 29, 2020

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Uncle Lloyd posted:

I always remember "gently caress! Even in the future nothing works!" because it's both true and the best use of the one allowed "gently caress" in a PG-13 film I've ever seen.

I hear that line in my head everytime I see an out of order sign. Every. Time.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Complications posted:

I hear that line in my head everytime I see an out of order sign. Every. Time.

Whenever there's a voiced self-destruct countdown in a movie or TV show I always expect it to skip 7.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's where I learned the word ludicrous

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

zoux posted:

Same tbh and to this day i associate it with plaid

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

zoux posted:

:hmmyes:

alnilam posted:

Same tbh and to this day i associate it with plaid

:hmmyes:

And the second time I ever heard it was when Sigourney Weaver said it in Ghostbusters II.

I need to incorporate that into my vocabulary more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

To this day I never fast forward a video without informing the entire room that I am preparing to fast forward